Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Baseball
Bookmark and Share
Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
Baseball
Should more be expected from the baseball program, or is this about it when factoring in funding, number of scholarships, etc.? The new baseball stadium looks nice, but................
02-24-2016 09:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Baseball
(02-24-2016 09:32 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  Should more be expected from the baseball program, or is this about it when factoring in funding, number of scholarships, etc.? The new baseball stadium looks nice, but................

Nobody seems to care this administration or the last, Skole hasn't achieved mediocracy most years and I think he has had 1 good year in what 18 years as head coach? (1 dominate pitcher who won the majority of those games that year)
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2016 11:10 PM by RodShaw2.)
02-24-2016 11:09 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
1 championship, and one crazy tournament run in the A-Sun with a rain shortened tournament.
02-25-2016 05:35 PM
Flippmb Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
I have a friend who lives in Virginia. He is an ETSU alumnus, and a few years ago his son was graduating from high school after being named all-state in both baseball and football. In fact, the Virginia High School Coaches Association named him Virginia High School Baseball Player of the Year as well as Athlete of the Year.

The Bucs did not recruit this player, who very much wanted to attend ETSU. So, my friend came to Johnson City, met with the Buc coaches, and laid out his son's career accomplishments and his desire to play for ETSU.

They passed.

So, this player accepted a scholarship to play at a Southern Conference school (ETSU was still in the A-Sun at the time). There, he started as a Freshman, became an all-conference player, and was named to the Louisville Slugger All America team. He was drafted and is currently progressing in the minors.

Every coach misses now and then, but this one was a doozy.
02-26-2016 04:20 PM
etsubuc Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU
I want to support our baseball team. I never much paid attention to them until a few years ago, really liked it when the video of Skole's rough practice came out, and attended quite a few games when they won the ASun title. But I just cant continue to stay excited about the team with the current coaching staff.
02-26-2016 07:23 PM
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue,ETSU,G5
They need to change coaches in the near future.
02-26-2016 07:52 PM
Advertisement

Mister Consistency Offline
Special Teams

(02-26-2016 04:20 PM)Flippmb Wrote:  I have a friend who lives in Virginia. He is an ETSU alumnus, and a few years ago his son was graduating from high school after being named all-state in both baseball and football. In fact, the Virginia High School Coaches Association named him Virginia High School Baseball Player of the Year as well as Athlete of the Year.

The Bucs did not recruit this player, who very much wanted to attend ETSU. So, my friend came to Johnson City, met with the Buc coaches, and laid out his son's career accomplishments and his desire to play for ETSU.

They passed.

So, this player accepted a scholarship to play at a Southern Conference school (ETSU was still in the A-Sun at the time). There, he started as a Freshman, became an all-conference player, and was named to the Louisville Slugger All America team. He was drafted and is currently progressing in the minors.

This happens more often than you'd think. If he wanted a full scholarship, ETSU might not have been able to make it work and turned him down for that reason. Baseball is an equivalency sport, so it's not as cut-and-dried as football or basketball. A former ETSU coach once told me a story about a future star player who another school he worked at passed on because they thought he was a 70% guy and he wanted a full ride.

People have been calling for Skole's head for what feels like a decade now. Every year seems like it could be the year, and every year he keeps his job. I would love to get some insight on why he stays. Is he good with donors? Is he running the team on a shoestring budget? (That would certainly explain his emphasis on local recruiting.) I don't think he's on a multi-year contract that would prevent a buyout, so there has to be something that acts as a counterweight to the results on the field that encourages the athletic department to keep Skole.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2016 07:52 PM by Mister Consistency.)
02-27-2016 07:52 PM
Buckyball Offline
Bench Warmer

Baseball
NCAA baseball scholarships are limited to 11.7 full scholarships; rosters usually go 30-33 deep.

You have to recruit IN-STATE, use lottery scholarships, and be able to recruit good players out of state who are smart enough to qualify for academic help.

Then you have to get lucky.
03-01-2016 07:16 PM
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue,ETSU,G5
So baseball is playing Purdue in Johnson City, that's pretty cool. (Look at my username.)
03-01-2016 08:01 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

(02-27-2016 07:52 PM)Mister Consistency Wrote:  
(02-26-2016 04:20 PM)Flippmb Wrote:  I have a friend who lives in Virginia. He is an ETSU alumnus, and a few years ago his son was graduating from high school after being named all-state in both baseball and football. In fact, the Virginia High School Coaches Association named him Virginia High School Baseball Player of the Year as well as Athlete of the Year.

They passed.

This happens more often than you'd think. If he wanted a full scholarship, ETSU might not have been able to make it work and turned him down for that reason. Baseball is an equivalency sport, so it's not as cut-and-dried as football or basketball. A former ETSU coach once told me a story about a future star player who another school he worked at passed on because they thought he was a 70% guy and he wanted a full ride.

People have been calling for Skole's head for what feels like a decade now. Every year seems like it could be the year, and every year he keeps his job. I would love to get some insight on why he stays. Is he good with donors? Is he running the team on a shoestring budget? (That would certainly explain his emphasis on local recruiting.) I don't think he's on a multi-year contract that would prevent a buyout, so there has to be something that acts as a counterweight to the results on the field that encourages the athletic department to keep Skole.

It makes no sense. None. Losing record overall, one championship, and a video of making kids pass out in their own puke in a rain storm. Everyone has the scholarship challenges, I mean crap David Price and Sonny Gray didn't get full scholarships while they were at Vandy.
This needs to be the year. Win, or it's time to go.
03-03-2016 06:18 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
ETSU doesn't care about baseball, never have. When you have a coach leave and go to the JUCO ranks because he says he wanted to go somewhere he could win. (JUCO World Series). We had a great coach, we decided Skole was enough. Even with the changing of the administration baseball still seem the odd sport out.
03-03-2016 06:41 PM
Advertisement

buc73 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: bucs
Not so. This administration definitely wants baseball to be a winner. Skole is on the hot seat.

I personally know the Juco coach you are referring to and he left because of lack of scholarships and funding, plus his brother was the president of the Juco school.
03-04-2016 01:23 AM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-04-2016 01:23 AM)buc73 Wrote:  Not so. This administration definitely wants baseball to be a winner. Skole is on the hot seat.

I personally know the Juco coach you are referring to and he left because of lack of scholarships and funding, plus his brother was the president of the Juco school.

Hmm lack of funding and scholarships, yeah sounds like he didn't think he could win here or that the school cared about winning.
03-04-2016 07:42 AM
Mister Jennings2 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ETSU, WKU
If you want to win....bring Charlie Lodes back. He can bankrupt the school in a year....but he will win at the highest levels!
03-04-2016 10:19 AM
TheShadow Offline
2nd String

(03-04-2016 10:19 AM)Mister Jennings2 Wrote:  If you want to win....bring Charlie Lodes back. He can bankrupt the school in a year....but he will win at the highest levels!

Sadly, Coach Lodes passed away last year... 03-no
03-04-2016 04:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
ETSU 2 UT 11
03-10-2016 03:55 PM
Advertisement

bucfan81 Online
Heisman

(03-10-2016 03:55 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  ETSU 2 UT 11

I think we are at the same place with baseball that we were with basketball last year. Time to make the change this year.
03-10-2016 06:24 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

That's not good. Tennessee is awful. They're probably going to make a change this year. Somehow, I feel like Skole will survive yet another year, and Brad Irwin will, too.
What a joke.
03-14-2016 05:51 PM
brock20 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Laundry
Anyone know why the baseball team does not wear Nike uniforms? I thought the university signed a deal where all the sports wear Nike now or was that just for basketball and football?
03-31-2016 04:20 PM
Mister Consistency Offline
Special Teams

(03-14-2016 05:51 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  That's not good. Tennessee is awful. They're probably going to make a change this year. Somehow, I feel like Skole will survive yet another year, and Brad Irwin will, too.
What a joke.

Funnily enough, Serrano is back for another year. Making the SEC Tournament on the last day of the season probably saved his job, although he'll have to go at it next year with a new third baseman after the Reds took Nick Senzel 2nd overall.

ETSU's own Trey York was tabbed by the Brewers in the 9th round late yesterday, the highest ETSU draft pick in over a decade. York has been a regular in Skole's lineup since he stepped on campus, so that's no surprise. The only other guy I'd imagine getting a look is Jeremy Taylor, but MLB scouts can be high on guys for weird reasons sometimes.

As much as we like to pile on Skole, it's still good to see the kids get recognition for the work they put in.
06-11-2016 08:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.