WKU 2016 Preaseason Number #1
Bookmark and Share
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Exclamation WKU 2016 Preaseason Number #1
According to this guy:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football...ule-roster

Before Marshall fans go on attack, remember we had to hear even when you guys struggled last season how were still the defending champion and title ran through Huntington West Virginia.

Title still runs through BG this season at least according to this guy and I agree if we can find a competent QB....If we cannot might be a 7 and 5 type season....
02-24-2016 01:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
RE: WKU 2016 Preaseason Number #1
(02-24-2016 01:38 PM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  According to this guy:

Before Marshall fans go on attack, remember we had to hear even when you guys struggled last season how were still the defending champion and title ran through Huntington West Virginia.

Title still runs through BG this season at least according to this guy and I agree if we can find a competent QB....If we cannot might be a 7 and 5 type season....

I have no problem saying that. Until you guys are dethroned, you are the reigning champs... I said it last year about us. I'll say the same about you this year.
02-24-2016 01:41 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(02-24-2016 01:41 PM)THUNDERGround Wrote:  
(02-24-2016 01:38 PM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  According to this guy:

I have no problem saying that. Until you guys are dethroned, you are the reigning champs... I said it last year about us. I'll say the same about you this year.

muh media....no one in the 'burg is scared.....
02-24-2016 01:47 PM
MTowho Offline
1st String

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
Can't wait.
02-24-2016 02:48 PM
banker Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Thanks for acknowledging that we struggled in 2015. Of course that down year still included 10 wins and would stand as the second best year in the fbs history of WKU football.
02-24-2016 05:06 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

Marshall went from 1st in the conference to 3rd place in the east and 5th place overall in 2015
02-24-2016 07:53 PM
Advertisement

CoachMaclid Offline
All American

(02-24-2016 07:53 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  Marshall went from 1st in the conference to 3rd place in the east and 5th place overall in 2015

Everything published and history will record and say we finished 2nd in the east (the only usage of positional tiebreak procedures ever applied in the history of college football is to determine championship game participant - just as a tied for first but loses the tiebreak still gets to claim a co-division championship).

And considering the entirety of everyone's year, we were the second best team in the league last year. Sorry.

Having said that, WKU is the reigning title holder until they are dethroned. That's the bottom line fact.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2016 08:27 PM by CoachMaclid.)
02-24-2016 08:17 PM
RonBurgundy Offline
Channel 4 News Team

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Western Kentucky has a chance to be really good IF they can maintain Doughty's production at QB. Ask Marshall how hard it was to replace Cato though. I think that CUSA is gonna be a toss up next year between Southern Miss, Tech, WKU, Middle Tennessee, and Marshall. Every team has it's warts so everyone will have a window of opportunity except for Charlotte, UTSA, and North Texas.
02-24-2016 10:04 PM
banker Online
Hall of Famer

I believe USM has the upper hand overall because I believe cusa is a QB driven league first with defense as number two. I also believe, based on what I saw last year from Stockstill, that Middle is the team to shoot for in the east. FIU is the top "sleeper" in the league for next year.

Marshall's only advantage is having both Middle and WKU at home.
02-25-2016 12:03 AM
CyrusJS Offline
2nd String

WKU 2016 Preaseason Number #1
USM will win the conference next year, hosting MU at home. I'm realistic. WKU's schedule does us ZERO favors for next year, playing the leagues best teams on the road.
02-25-2016 04:09 AM
BKTopper Offline
1st String

(02-24-2016 10:04 PM)RonBurgundy Wrote:  Western Kentucky has a chance to be really good IF they can maintain Doughty's production at QB. Ask Marshall how hard it was to replace Cato though. I think that CUSA is gonna be a toss up next year between Southern Miss, Tech, WKU, Middle Tennessee, and Marshall. Every team has it's warts so everyone will have a window of opportunity except for Charlotte, UTSA, and North Texas.

I hope you guys all see what I see... Those are 5 SOLID teams with (mostly) solid coaching plans in place, with a dedication to improving and not just maintaining,most of whom have name recognition (with Marshall leading the pack in that respect), and whose fan bases are all starting to hate each other (including an established rivalry with a name, that has transcended 3 conferences).

I'm VERY excited for next season. People talk a lot about wanting to be "The next Boise", but none of us are going to be able to do that. They were playing in a league where competition-wise it was just them and SJSU and LT, and for one or two seasons Hawaii (bulldogs please correct me if I'm mistaken). But they were for a good long stretch at the top of a lonely mountain.

None of us get that luxury. It's a bloodbath at the top. And I KNOW it's about to get a lot more crowded: FIU is going to break through, no questions asked. Everything is in place for them. FAU showed they have what it takes to compete with every team in the league, they just need to stop making the same mistakes.

What is happening here is EXACTLY what happened to Mountain West pre 2010 realignment: it's crowded at the top, and teams are getting ranked. People can poo-poo C-USA's market strategy (guilty), but that's one of the things MWC didn't have, aside from San Diego, Vegas, SLC. All west coast, hard for East Coast fans of the game to buy in.

The only other thing I'd like to see next season are those pretty stadiums in Texas packed, on tv.

2016 is going to be fun! 02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana
02-25-2016 08:20 AM
Advertisement

Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
(02-25-2016 08:20 AM)BKTopper Wrote:  
(02-24-2016 10:04 PM)RonBurgundy Wrote:  Western Kentucky has a chance to be really good IF they can maintain Doughty's production at QB. Ask Marshall how hard it was to replace Cato though. I think that CUSA is gonna be a toss up next year between Southern Miss, Tech, WKU, Middle Tennessee, and Marshall. Every team has it's warts so everyone will have a window of opportunity except for Charlotte, UTSA, and North Texas.

I hope you guys all see what I see... Those are 5 SOLID teams with (mostly) solid coaching plans in place, with a dedication to improving and not just maintaining,most of whom have name recognition (with Marshall leading the pack in that respect), and whose fan bases are all starting to hate each other (including an established rivalry with a name, that has transcended 3 conferences).

I'm VERY excited for next season. People talk a lot about wanting to be "The next Boise", but none of us are going to be able to do that. They were playing in a league where competition-wise it was just them and SJSU and LT, and for one or two seasons Hawaii (bulldogs please correct me if I'm mistaken). But they were for a good long stretch at the top of a lonely mountain.

None of us get that luxury. It's a bloodbath at the top. And I KNOW it's about to get a lot more crowded: FIU is going to break through, no questions asked. Everything is in place for them. FAU showed they have what it takes to compete with every team in the league, they just need to stop making the same mistakes.

What is happening here is EXACTLY what happened to Mountain West pre 2010 realignment: it's crowded at the top, and teams are getting ranked. People can poo-poo C-USA's market strategy (guilty), but that's one of the things MWC didn't have, aside from San Diego, Vegas, SLC. All west coast, hard for East Coast fans of the game to buy in.

The only other thing I'd like to see next season are those pretty stadiums in Texas packed, on tv.

Excellent post from a guy who seems to get it!!
02-25-2016 08:36 AM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
Good points, BK, but WKU has earned top dog until some one else proves otherwise. Good luck to all this year.
02-25-2016 08:38 AM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards

03-thumbsup ...well stated..."mostly" is my only concern (hands in prayer) 03-wink
02-25-2016 08:49 AM
FTW ODU Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU

So you're telling me ODU has a chance? 02-13-banana
02-25-2016 12:59 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

"The next Boise" is almost impossible to do when you play football in the east to mid west. It's about like "The next Gonzaga " in basketball.

Both schools earn what they got but they also had the help of ESPN because the west is lacking with a feel good story and also the overall number of really good football and basketball programs.

It benefited espn to make each of those into a media darling....west coast ratings

At the same time Gonzaga was being built into a national program...in the late 90s early 2000 because of 23 to 25 wins and a sweet 16 or two Southern Illinois was on the same path. I think Southern Illinois averaged around 24 wins over 6 seasons and a couple sweet 16.

What you didn't see was espn all over their nuts...nope too many big name programs with in 300 miles of Southern Illinois. Some of the bluebloods so espn did not need a feel good media darling in this area. Totally different out west there were very few really great teams at this time period.

Similar in football none of have a chance to get the media attention that Boise had and the same goes for BYU..really good program but if they played in the east they would get half as much press. We can be really really good and still there are blueblood schools with in a few hours drive that will get all the attention. Playing in the heart of sec and big10 and big12 country...we are always going to be a good little program. No matter how much we win.

So the key is to be the best you can and build a really good and competitive conference
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2016 04:36 PM by WKUYG.)
02-25-2016 04:34 PM
Advertisement

banker Online
Hall of Famer

YG is correct, western teams have an advantage, it's partly ESPN, but also partly the lack of saturation you have east of the Mississippi. A lot less competition out west.
02-25-2016 06:54 PM
BKTopper Offline
1st String

(02-25-2016 08:49 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  

03-thumbsup ...well stated..."mostly" is my only concern (hands in prayer) 03-wink

Yeah, hopefully after this season no "mostly" will be needed 04-cheers
02-26-2016 11:14 PM
BKTopper Offline
1st String

(02-25-2016 04:34 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  "The next Boise" is almost impossible to do when you play football in the east to mid west. It's about like "The next Gonzaga " in basketball.

Both schools earn what they got but they also had the help of ESPN because the west is lacking with a feel good story and also the overall number of really good football and basketball programs.

It benefited espn to make each of those into a media darling....west coast ratings

At the same time Gonzaga was being built into a national program...in the late 90s early 2000 because of 23 to 25 wins and a sweet 16 or two Southern Illinois was on the same path. I think Southern Illinois averaged around 24 wins over 6 seasons and a couple sweet 16.

What you didn't see was espn all over their nuts...nope too many big name programs with in 300 miles of Southern Illinois. Some of the bluebloods so espn did not need a feel good media darling in this area. Totally different out west there were very few really great teams at this time period.

Similar in football none of have a chance to get the media attention that Boise had and the same goes for BYU..really good program but if they played in the east they would get half as much press. We can be really really good and still there are blueblood schools with in a few hours drive that will get all the attention. Playing in the heart of sec and big10 and big12 country...we are always going to be a good little program. No matter how much we win.

So the key is to be the best you can and build a really good and competitive conference

Also very very true
02-26-2016 11:16 PM
goherd24herdfans Offline
All American

I Root For: marshall
You need a very good QB to come close to a division title run in 2016. Marshall will be much improved on offense, and probably about the same on defense. Honestly, i think its between MTSU and MU in the east and its not even close. The west won't be a contender
02-26-2016 11:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.