UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference Champs should automatically dance
UAB BOT Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UAB
What's the point of playing regular season conference games, if they count for nothing? It's a shame that FAU or FIU could potentially be dancing and we are playing at Bartow in the NIT. The conference should select the best team (UAB)to represent CUSA in the NCAA tournament. I'm pretty sure that the conference commissioner can select which team they want to represent them in the NCAA.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2016 10:12 PM by UAB BOT.)
02-23-2016 10:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: Conference Champs should automatically dance
You sound like a Louisiana Tech fan, circa March, 2015.
02-23-2016 10:10 PM
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers
One of the best things to me about basketball is everyone having a shot if they get on a winning streak. I like the tournament champ getting the auto bid. Sure it would suck to win the regular season title and then lose in the tournament but that's the fun of basketball. Besides the regular season title can be skewed in one schools favor in a given year. For example having to play Middle Tennessee and Marshall twice in a season vs someone else who may play them only once but then UNT and UTSA twice.
02-23-2016 10:17 PM
BTR Offline
The Royal Order of Rooster

I Root For: UAB!!!

Folding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardDonators
(02-23-2016 10:17 PM)Blazer85 Wrote:  One of the best things to me about basketball is everyone having a shot if they get on a winning streak. I like the tournament champ getting the auto bid. Sure it would suck to win the regular season title and then lose in the tournament but that's the fun of basketball. Besides the regular season title can be skewed in one schools favor in a given year. For example having to play Middle Tennessee and Marshall twice in a season vs someone else who may play them only once but then UNT and UTSA twice.

Agreed - and I hope I don't regret that soon :)
02-23-2016 10:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Conference champs are guaranteed to dance. It might be the little dance, but they are guaranteed a post season.
02-23-2016 10:25 PM
BlazintheATL Offline
All American

I think the tourney champ should get the auto bid but I wish CUSA would change the format to only allow the top 8 in the tourney with the top 2 teams getting byes until the semifinals. This format gives all of the better teams in the league a chance to go to the dance, it makes the regular season more meaningful IMO, and it gives the teams with the best chance to go on an NCAA run a leg up in getting to the dance. The OVC uses this format.
02-23-2016 10:28 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Regular season champs in decent conferences do get to go to the NCAA tournament.
02-23-2016 10:30 PM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
(02-23-2016 10:28 PM)BlazintheATL Wrote:  I think the tourney champ should get the auto bid but I wish CUSA would change the format to only allow the top 8 in the tourney with the top 2 teams getting byes until the semifinals. This format gives all of the better teams in the league a chance to go to the dance, it makes the regular season more meaningful IMO, and it gives the teams with the best chance to go on an NCAA run a leg up in getting to the dance. The OVC uses this format.

The ACC used to have a similar format. BITD
02-23-2016 10:43 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

& if CUSA had a high enough RPI as a league the regular season champ would also get a bid.
02-23-2016 10:44 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
I agree with adolescent UAB BOT on this one. The regular season champ should get the autobid to the Dance. You can still have the conference tourney. It's a chance to hand out a nice trophy for winning four games in four days and possibly enhance another team chances for an at-large. I guess the tourney is a revenue generator for the city hosting it.

But a team should be rewarded for the long haul, not winning three or four games in three or four days.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2016 10:56 PM by BamaScorpio69.)
02-23-2016 10:54 PM
Blazer4Life14 Offline
One of “Kent’s People”

I Root For: UAB, Pro Sports
Lol, how opinions change in just under a year.
02-23-2016 11:02 PM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

We have benefited quite a bit by winning the tournament.

Last year, for instance.
Blazer4Life14 Offline
One of “Kent’s People”

I Root For: UAB, Pro Sports
(02-23-2016 10:30 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Regular season champs in decent conferences do get to go to the NCAA tournament.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2016 11:02 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  We have benefited quite a bit by winning the tournament.

Last year, for instance.

Depends on your definition of benefitted quite a bit. In UAB 15 appearances in the Dance, five of those appearances has been via courtesy of automatic bids, the other 10 appearances have been via at-large bids. So UAB hasn't depended quite a bit on winning the tournament.
02-23-2016 11:38 PM
Hopeful Offline
Special Teams

Regardless of how it ends up, I much prefer the tournament determining the automatic bid over the regular season. It makes more sense to me that the hottest team is the one that should get in over the arguably more consistent team. Becoming the regular season champion is definitely an achievement that deserves recognition, but having the automatic bid on the line makes the tournament that much more interesting to me. Without that, the season would practically be over for most teams way before it's actually done.

It's crappy right now since winning C-USA doesn't account for much, but, hopefully, in the future, the regular season champion will be able to secure a bid on account of the conference getting stronger.
02-24-2016 01:47 AM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-24-2016 01:47 AM)Hopeful Wrote:  Regardless of how it ends up, I much prefer the tournament determining the automatic bid over the regular season. It makes more sense to me that the hottest team is the one that should get in over the arguably more consistent team. Becoming the regular season champion is definitely an achievement that deserves recognition, but having the automatic bid on the line makes the tournament that much more interesting to me. Without that, the season would practically be over for most teams way before it's actually done.

There is absolutely no reason to have a tournament when you already determine a champion in the regular season. The Ivy League get it right, the other 31 conferences don't. And it makes the regular season more meaningful. In your argument, you're basically saying a team like North Texas would be more deserving of a automatic bid than a UAB, MTSU, or Marshall because they got hot in a tournament even though they have sucked most of the regular season.

And so what if the season would be over for most teams way before it was actually done, you don't reward mediocrity. Why even have a regular season?
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2016 08:33 AM by BamaScorpio69.)
02-24-2016 07:04 AM
Advertisement

the Dragon Offline
Heisman

(02-23-2016 10:08 PM)UAB BOT Wrote:  What's the point of playing regular season conference games, if they count for nothing? It's a shame that FAU or FIU could potentially be dancing and we are playing at Bartow in the NIT. The conference should select the best team (UAB)to represent CUSA in the NCAA tournament. I'm pretty sure that the conference commissioner can select which team they want to represent them in the NCAA.

The C-USA regular season champ had never been left out of the NCAA before last year. In 2004, 5 teams tied for the C-USA crown, and they ALL got in!

This C-USA is not the old one nor the old old one either.
02-24-2016 01:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sadolakced Offline
Special Teams

Lock up the regular season then slack off in the tournament.

Like Mike Davis showed, winning in the regular season is a bit different than winning in a tournament. I'd rather send the best tournament team to the big tournament.

The top C-USA team in the NIT needs to start dominating that regularly if CUSA wants to build back to a multi-bid league.
02-24-2016 02:36 PM
UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(02-23-2016 10:08 PM)UAB BOT Wrote:  What's the point of playing regular season conference games, if they count for nothing? It's a shame that FAU or FIU could potentially be dancing and we are playing at Bartow in the NIT. The conference should select the best team (UAB)to represent CUSA in the NCAA tournament. I'm pretty sure that the conference commissioner can select which team they want to represent them in the NCAA.

You would not have enjoyed our time in the old C-USA with this attitude.
02-24-2016 03:19 PM
UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(02-24-2016 02:36 PM)sadolakced Wrote:  The top C-USA team in the NIT needs to start dominating that regularly if CUSA wants to build back to a multi-bid league.

That's not how it works.
02-24-2016 03:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.