Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Where do we go from here?
Bookmark and Share
dan10 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
Obviously this season is lost (and has been most of the year). We are now tied with Praire View A&M as the only teams with 3 losses or fewer. Everyone else has 4+ wins. This does include all games not just DI games played or else we would have more company and be better than a couple teams. But where do we go from here?

Obviously a coaching change is what we all want and it appears will happen sooner rather than later. I know Dragonspeak wrote a nice article on this topic after polling many of us fans but I will open up the question here. We can't go further down, as we are at the bottom. Does it make sense to start fresh and go after either transfers or grad transfers to boost in the short term while we turn over a new coaching staff? Or just get the right staff and let them recruit as they see fit, even if it takes 2-4 years to rebuild and get "his" guys on the roster?

As far as potential coaches there were some names thrown out in the comments, what is everyone else's thoughts on candidates?

Discuss.
02-19-2016 09:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dan10 Online
Heisman

RE: Where do we go from here?
My opinion is that we start fresh away from the Bruiser coaching tree and even the Calipari tree. Neither can coach offense to save their lives, but both do recruit well. We obviously need someone who can recruit but we need someone who is good with x's and o's as well.

I am all for going after a younger assistant from a major program even if it means we wont have another lifer as our coach. As far as style of play? Makes no difference to me as long as neither offense or defense are being given up for the other. Aka we cant have all of the focus on one side of the court.

I actually think that we have players on this team that can play. I think any coach would will come in will be in a decent position to get more out of the players we have while hitting the recruiting trail for the next seasons and beyond. I am still convinced the team we have seen this season can be so much better than they have showed, they just need to be coached up better and more effectively.

I have not done my research for potential coaches but I can't imagine a school like Drexel can't honestly get a coach to look our way. Philadelphia still produces great talent. The CAA is becoming stronger again. Sure our facilities are still terrible, but how a team performs shouldnt be reflective on subpar facilities although selling Drexel to recruits is no easy task. I hope our administration takes the time and does the proper amount of research to find the right guy, who in turn brings in the right assistants. We shouldnt be afraid to pay the coach, either. There are plenty of good potential coaches out there we can pay the same or less than we were paying Bruiser and get better results.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2016 10:07 AM by dan10.)
02-19-2016 10:06 AM
J.B. Offline

Drexel Basketball is not the Sixers or Phillies who require a total long term rebuild. This team is also a lot better than Towson was in 2011 and 2012. Obviously you start with a new head coach and a completely new coaching staff. You need a guy who can be a new face of the program and completely upbeat. The new coach needs to sell the program to all of the remaining players to keep them from transferring. Fortunately, most of the players are redshirts anyway, so transferring would be difficult for them.

Now we've got a core to work with of Canady, Fields, Overton, Te Allen, Rodney Williams, and London, and Mejia. This is not a bad group of players, and if they can get the right coach in the door, who can get the immediate respect, figure out what's going wrong now, and make changes, I don't see why this team cannot be competitive next year.
02-19-2016 11:09 AM
Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

Or atleast go from the bottom to around 4th or 5th. Really what we were missing this year is a consistent shooter/scorer and hopefully Overton and Fields will provide that next year.
02-19-2016 01:24 PM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
You won 74-69 at William & Mary.
02-20-2016 04:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SoCal Frank Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Wm and Mary
Say what you want about Bruiser. He took his guys into Kaplan, on senior day, and got the win. His team is still fighting. That's on him
02-20-2016 07:18 PM
J.B. Offline

(02-20-2016 07:18 PM)SoCal Frank Wrote:  Say what you want about Bruiser. He took his guys into Kaplan, on senior day, and got the win. His team is still fighting. That's on him

In the course of a very long season, good teams will lose games they should win, and bad teams will play well and pull one out once in a while. That's what happened today. But the program as a whole is as dead as dirt right now, and a change needs to be made as soon as the season is over.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2016 07:58 PM by J.B..)
02-20-2016 07:58 PM
J.B. Offline

After a big road win at Waste Management (I read their game thread about the parking lot issues so the name calling is appropriate today), Drexel's RPI jumped from 274 up to 248. So as bad as this season is going, the computer says that 103 teams are having a worse season right now.
02-20-2016 08:25 PM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

Drexel ranks 342nd in winning percentage and 67th in strength of schedule. That's 275 spots, which is the third biggest gap between winning percentage rank and strength of schedule rank (without caring about which rank is better). The only bigger gaps are 285 spots for La Salle and 287 spots for Grand Canyon.
02-21-2016 01:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

I am starting to worry that bruiser will not be fired mainly because Bruiser has one year left on his contact. I fear that Drexel will be too cheap to eat his final year.
02-22-2016 11:26 AM
J.B. Offline

(02-22-2016 11:26 AM)Dragon For Life Wrote:  I am starting to worry that bruiser will not be fired mainly because Bruiser has one year left on his contact. I fear that Drexel will be too cheap to eat his final year.

Many people have mentioned that, but I just can't see the administration being dumb enough to offer him a 5 year guaranteed contact where the would have to pay out that 5th year guaranteed no matter what. If they were smart, there'd be some kind of clause for the 5th year, such as they would deduct any comp that he receives from any other jobs he gets should he be terminated.

I've been around the DAC for a long time...this is my 25th year here, and interest has never been worse, and fans have never been more upset with the program. I just answered a call from Drexel asking for money, and I told them that I'm not giving any money until Bruiser is fired. Hopefully, I'm not the only one, and the word gets out.

President Fry was at the 1st half of the JMU game a few weeks ago, and he sat by himself and watched Drexel get their butts beat in in front of a mostly empty DAC, and he looked pretty upset.

Unless the NAACP steps in and threatens to sue Drexel, like what may have happened at Delaware, I just can't see Bruiser surviving after this season.
02-22-2016 12:44 PM
Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

No matter who we get the whole process will create some buzz assuming they do an exhaustive search and not do an Eagles type move. I hope you are right it is time for change I just hope Allen doesn't transfer.
02-23-2016 09:08 AM
Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

I guess we could have a worse season then we are having now according to our history we lost to a seminary school in 1904...Yikes. Wyoming Seminary 1904-05 -------- 0-1
02-24-2016 04:48 PM
Advertisement

EvanJ Offline
1st String

(02-24-2016 04:48 PM)Dragon For Life Wrote:  I guess we could have a worse season then we are having now according to our history we lost to a seminary school in 1904...Yikes. Wyoming Seminary 1904-05 -------- 0-1
I'm surprised Drexel has records going back that far. Hofstra has their results going back to 1936-1937.
02-24-2016 10:49 PM
J.B. Offline

(02-24-2016 04:48 PM)Dragon For Life Wrote:  I guess we could have a worse season then we are having now according to our history we lost to a seminary school in 1904...Yikes. Wyoming Seminary 1904-05 -------- 0-1

And that was only 13 years after the game was invented, so I couldn't imagine what those games were actually like.

I'm totally amazed that in the 1800's the game couldn't have taken off so quickly. I'll bet there were thousands of guys like Naismith who invented games in schools and community centers to keep kids occupied. How basketball went from a little game in a YMCA to national game played by schools all over the place in just a few years, back in that era is beyond me.
02-25-2016 08:16 AM
Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

There are a lot of interesting teams we played a lot of which those schools don't exist anymore in any level. Its funny how time goes. I just googled Wyoming Seminary and its actually in Kingston PA it was founded the in 1853.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2016 09:05 AM by Dragon For Life.)
02-25-2016 09:03 AM
J.B. Offline

(02-25-2016 09:03 AM)Dragon For Life Wrote:  There are a lot of interesting teams we played a lot of which those schools don't exist anymore in any level. Its funny how time goes. I just googled Wyoming Seminary and its actually in Kingston PA it was founded the in 1853.

Correct. The name sounded familiar, and discovered that my company used to sponsor their golf outing. It's a private high school.
02-25-2016 09:32 AM
Advertisement

Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

We lost to a highschool? Do you think Bruiser would have been fired if he was some how the coach haha
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2016 11:48 AM by Dragon For Life.)
02-25-2016 11:48 AM
Timer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: CAA
(02-25-2016 08:16 AM)J.B. pid='
13036390 Wrote:

And that was only 13 years after the game was invented, so I couldn't imagine what those games were actually like.

I wasn't there.....
02-27-2016 01:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.