Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

I'm trying to drop cable. Need advice.
Bookmark and Share
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
Rolleyes I'm trying to drop cable. Need advice.
I'm pretty much set up to get everything I need through Hulu & Netflix. Just need to figure out how to get all the ESPN's. As of now the only options I know of are watch ESPN, but you have to verify that you have cable for it. Which is kind is redundant for someone trying to do it at home. But was thinking some of you might have some advice.
02-16-2016 10:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

80sTiger Offline
Why Am I Stuck on 'Water Engineer' ?

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: I'm trying to drop cable. Need advice.
I've used Sling TV app on my Xbox One. Costs a little, but cheaper than cable.
02-16-2016 10:17 AM
memphodude Offline
1st String

I Root For: TIGER VIC-TO-RY
(02-16-2016 10:15 AM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  I'm pretty much set up to get everything I need through Hulu & Netflix. Just need to figure out how to get all the ESPN's. As of now the only options I know of are watch ESPN, but you have to verify that you have cable for it. Which is kind is redundant for someone trying to do it at home. But was thinking some of you might have some advice.

look into sling (sling.com)
$20-25/mo for several HD channels including ESPN
02-16-2016 10:19 AM
poppaslaw Offline
Social Credit Score - 0

I Root For: CHY-NAH

Donators
I don't understand all this need for dumping the cable.

Just get your wallet out and get the premium DirecTV package with EVERYTHANG.

Then pay for the fastest internet you can get.

It's the American Way by God!

If you want to go cheap, just get a nice over the air antenna high off your house and rejoin the 50's.
02-16-2016 10:20 AM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
(02-16-2016 10:15 AM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  I'm pretty much set up to get everything I need through Hulu & Netflix. Just need to figure out how to get all the ESPN's. As of now the only options I know of are watch ESPN, but you have to verify that you have cable for it. Which is kind is redundant for someone trying to do it at home. But was thinking some of you might have some advice.

Subscribe to SlingTV (an app that costs $20 per month). That'll get you Espn and ESPN2, and also allow you to stream everything on ESPN3 through an ESPN app.

If you need ESPN U and SECN, you can get it through Sling TV for an extra $5 per month.

You can also get HBO through Sling TV for an extra $20 per month.

You should probably have an internet connection faster than 24mbps in order to do all this. Additionally, you'll need an XBox One or Roku or Amazon FireStick or some other streaming device but you're probably aware of that.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2016 10:21 AM by MemphisCanes.)
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
Sling TV is the best way I know of to get ESPN without cable/sat. ESPN ignored the cord cutting movement and it has cost them big time.

They tried not to piss off the cable/sat companies but some estimates have them losing as much as $2 Billion by ignoring demands for a stand alone ESPN streaming service.
Advertisement

tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

You also may want to look into your ISP's policy on data caps.
02-16-2016 10:21 AM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-16-2016 10:21 AM)tiger2000 Wrote:  You also may want to look into your ISP's policy on data caps.

Yep, Xfinity/Comcast in my market has a 300 gig cap which is garbage but I stream exclusively in my household and we stay under this.
02-16-2016 10:23 AM
memphodude Offline
1st String

I Root For: TIGER VIC-TO-RY

i will also say if you go with DISH they have an HD only package which is much cheaper
about $65/mo gets good HD channels with one room DVR and protection package
hard to find that deal these days
02-16-2016 10:24 AM
dfwtxtiger Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
We tried Sling, and always had a lagging connection.
Between Roku, Hulu, chromecasting from computer, and all the apps, like Discovery, Foxnow, TCM, AMC, etc--the only thing I really use the TV for is local news and EPSN/CBSSN.

Let me know if you find something
I hate verizon fios.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2016 10:52 AM by dfwtxtiger.)
02-16-2016 10:45 AM
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
Does sling allow you to go back and watch games kind of like a dvr?
02-16-2016 10:48 AM
Advertisement

jgardne Offline
Heisman

sign the petition to bring google fiber to memphis

https://www.change.org/p/bring-google-fi...memphis-tn

Seriously, this would be awesome
02-16-2016 10:51 AM
eltigre Offline
Chief Headknocker

I Root For: Throat Punches
(02-16-2016 10:45 AM)dfwtxtiger Wrote:  We tried Sling, and always had a lagging connection.
Between Roku, Hulu, chromecasting from computer, and all the apps, like Discovery, Foxnow, TCM, AMC, etc--the only thing I really use the TV for is local news and EPSN/CBSSN.

I too had some initial lag issues with Sling only. All of the other apps / channels worked fine. In December I got a 50" Roku TV for the bedroom and it streamed Sling perfectly so I swapped out my old Roku XD in the den for a new Roku 3 and the lagging went away.
02-16-2016 10:51 AM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

(02-16-2016 10:48 AM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  Does sling allow you to go back and watch games kind of like a dvr?

Sometimes. ESPN3 often has games posted for several days but there aren't many true DVR service for cord-cutting. I've implemented several solutions for it (streaming recording and over air recording) but most are severely lacking and are hard to implement for your average joe.
02-16-2016 11:00 AM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-16-2016 10:45 AM)dfwtxtiger Wrote:  We tried Sling, and always had a lagging connection.

Let me know if you find something
I hate verizon fios.

It pays to have a good internet connection.

Sling TV isn't perfect, and sometime the lag is noticeable even with a good connection, but it's no worse than cable outages or weather problems with satellite.
02-16-2016 11:01 AM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-16-2016 10:48 AM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  Does sling allow you to go back and watch games kind of like a dvr?

Not really. That's one of my biggest gripes about Sling. You can watch a game if ESPN3 is offering it for "replay" (it doesn't offer many games for replay, especially not Memphis games), but you can't record games on something like a dvr.

The actual channels (AMC, HBO, etc.) also have on-demand features for episodes that you miss, but you can't record them directly on a dvr.
02-16-2016 11:04 AM
Advertisement

memphistiger89 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Anybody use Roku? I am researching options as well. I'm sick of paying through the nose and getting crappy customer service.
02-16-2016 11:47 AM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-16-2016 11:47 AM)memphistiger89 Wrote:  Anybody use Roku? I am researching options as well. I'm sick of paying through the nose and getting crappy customer service.

I use an Amazon Fire Stick which is essentially the same thing. I got it for free for signing up for Sling TV, and it works pretty well, so I can't complain.
02-16-2016 11:48 AM
triplealumtiger Offline
Water Engineer

From Comcast - you want Blast Internet plus Digital Economy TV.
Bare internet that's worthwhile for streaming will run you about $50-$60, depending on who you get it from.
The digital economy gets you ESPN, ESPN2, CBS Sports network, and Fox Sports Southeast. You also get this weirdo thing where ESPN news in HD works, but not ESPN News in SD...along with a bunch of other channels.

This package is usually on special for ~$65/month for the first year and goes to $90/month (retail price) in year 2 and beyond. If you have Comcast now, they will give you the special price without too much hassle - i told them I did not want to pay ~150/mo for TV/internet/phone and they gave me this without a hard time about it.

The cost to provide cable internet is ridiculously low, and so comcast uses this to keep people on cable tv subs. I am ok with this approach largely because my experiences with satellite TV were sketchy at best.

Also - buy your own modem for this package. Arris SB6141 costs about $70 on amazon, and will pay for itself in 7-10 months depending on cable modem rental fees.
02-16-2016 11:55 AM
SouthernBoiNOLA Online
Special Teams

(02-16-2016 11:47 AM)memphistiger89 Wrote:  Anybody use Roku? I am researching options as well. I'm sick of paying through the nose and getting crappy customer service.

We have been using Roku for about 3 years now. Love it!!! We have Hulu Plus (8 bucks), Netflix (8 bucks), Amazon Prime (about 8 bucks, even though I watch it the least). We also give a friend 10 bucks a month for their password for Watch ESPN, HBO, Starz, and Showtime. So our bill is about 35 bucks not counting our internet connection.

I do recommend getting at least a Roku 3. We had it on a 5mb DSL connection on 4 tv's, and it was serviceable. We went up to a 25 mb cable connection, and it is great.
02-16-2016 12:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.