Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ratings update
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Ratings update
Every Monday morning, the selection committee gets a list of the Top 100 in the RPI and where they rank in the KPI, BPI, Sagarin, Pomeroy and LRMC.

Source

This morning, they are looking at the attached.

It appears the RPI and KPI significantly undervalue Cincy and UConn compared to the predictive power ratings (the other four: BPI, Sagarin, Pomeroy, LRMC).

The RPI and KPI significantly overvalue Temple compared to the predictive power ratings.

And the RPI/KPI are in general agreement on SMU, Tulsa and Houston compared to the predictive power ratings.

Attached File(s)
.png  Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 6.31.33 AM.png (Size: 35.05 KB / Downloads: 82)
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2016 08:06 AM by CougarRed.)
02-15-2016 07:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cecil_B_DeMoore Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Temple
RE: Ratings update
Those 'predictors' would predict Temple to lose to SMU, UCONN x2, Cinci x2, and Tulsa as well as beat Houston at home. I'd say the predictors are overvalued compared to the ratings index known as reality.
02-15-2016 08:08 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(02-15-2016 08:08 AM)Cecil_B_DeMoore Wrote:  I'd say the predictors are overvalued compared to the ratings index known as reality.

04-bow
02-15-2016 08:23 AM
Hank Schrader Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(02-15-2016 08:08 AM)Cecil_B_DeMoore Wrote:  Those 'predictors' would predict Temple to lose to SMU, UCONN x2, Cinci x2, and Tulsa as well as beat Houston at home. I'd say the predictors are overvalued compared to the ratings index known as reality.

The committee is the only group that would disagree with you.
02-15-2016 09:21 AM
Cecil_B_DeMoore Offline
Special Teams

Ratings update
Not sure why the committee would disagree with me since by the time they make their decisions the predictors don't matter because there are no more games to predict. Predictors have nothing to do with the selection committee's job.
02-15-2016 09:41 AM
stxrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
(02-15-2016 09:41 AM)Cecil_B_DeMoore Wrote:  Not sure why the committee would disagree with me since by the time they make their decisions the predictors don't matter because there are no more games to predict. Predictors have nothing to do with the selection committee's job.

They actually have everything to do with the committee's job. You just don't like the results.

As a whole, these rankings systems have been shown to be a more true representation of teams and their relative standing than the outdated RPI system, which is oversimplified and struggles to adapt. That's useful information to the committee.

But as you point out, there is a reason we have humans making the final decisions. None of these systems are perfect, and having actual people to watch the games and look at the results matters. But, whether you like it or not, the predictive analytic systems are mattering more and more to the committee.
02-15-2016 10:00 AM
Advertisement

CincyBro Online
All American

I Root For: " NO GOR "
(02-15-2016 10:00 AM)stxrunner Wrote:  
(02-15-2016 09:41 AM)Cecil_B_DeMoore Wrote:  Not sure why the committee would disagree with me since by the time they make their decisions the predictors don't matter because there are no more games to predict. Predictors have nothing to do with the selection committee's job.

They actually have everything to do with the committee's job. You just don't like the results.

As a whole, these rankings systems have been shown to be a more true representation of teams and their relative standing than the outdated RPI system, which is oversimplified and struggles to adapt. That's useful information to the committee.

But as you point out, there is a reason we have humans making the final decisions. None of these systems are perfect, and having actual people to watch the games and look at the results matters. But, whether you like it or not, the predictive analytic systems are mattering more and more to the committee.

Simple Question: Do you believe UC is the 28th or 30th best team and should get a 6 or 7 seed ? That's what the predictors are saying. Yet every bracketologists has UC down in the 11,12 seed or out, which is in line with the RPI.
02-15-2016 10:14 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Cougar do you have a link to all 100 teams?
02-15-2016 10:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
Just get your head ready for disappointment going by the last 2 years with having the last team out.
02-15-2016 10:24 AM
stxrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
(02-15-2016 10:14 AM)CincyBro Wrote:  

Simple Question: Do you believe UC is the 28th or 30th best team and should get a 6 or 7 seed ? That's what the predictors are saying. Yet every bracketologists has UC down in the 11,12 seed or out, which is in line with the RPI.

Those are 2 different questions. No I don't think they deserve a 6 or 7 seed. Do I think they are the 28th-30th best team? Personally, I think they are pretty close to that. You don't use the KenPom, Sagarin, etc as straight ranking systems any more than we use the RPI as a straight ranking system. You balance out who you think are the best teams vs what teams have earned during the regular season.

If you use UC's RPI at present, UC isn't even on the bubble. They are about 15 spots away from it. The bracketologists are using more than just the RPI, which is why UC is where it is.

Question for you: Do you think we should just roll straight down the RPI list and select the tournament teams starting from #1 there until we run out of spots?
02-15-2016 10:43 AM
CincyBro Online
All American

I Root For: " NO GOR "
(02-15-2016 10:43 AM)stxrunner Wrote:  

Those are 2 different questions. No I don't think they deserve a 6 or 7 seed. Do I think they are the 28th-30th best team? Personally, I think they are pretty close to that. You don't use the KenPom, Sagarin, etc as straight ranking systems any more than we use the RPI as a straight ranking system. You balance out who you think are the best teams vs what teams have earned during the regular season.

If you use UC's RPI at present, UC isn't even on the bubble. They are about 15 spots away from it. The bracketologists are using more than just the RPI, which is why UC is where it is.

Question for you: Do you think we should just roll straight down the RPI list and select the tournament teams starting from #1 there until we run out of spots?

No, what I really believe, is they use the eye test and what other committee members tell each other way more than they let on.
02-15-2016 10:46 AM
Advertisement

bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator

Yes I believe UC is one of the 30 best teams in the country as the predictive rankings suggest.

No I don't think UC has a 6 or 7 seed resume at this time, which is an entirely different question. UC's RPI is not in line with what bracketologists are saying either. Bracketologists are putting UC somewhere between the predictors and the RPI ranking and that seems about right. UC's big problem is they lost too many close games, so they don't have the wins the committee looks for. Had UC say held on against Butler and SMU (Still keeping losses to Temple, Iowa State and Memphis)... their predictor rankings wouldn't be much different, but I think you'd see UC in that 6 or 7 seed range.

Your tournament seed shouldn't just be a recitation of your kenpom / sagarin rankings. I cite them often, not because they reflect where you will be placed in the tournament, but because they are a good measure of how good a team you actually are. The committee has consistently valued who you beat, where you beat them and who you lose to / where you lose (and they should). UC has lost too many of it's big games (in agonizing fashion) to be a 6 or 7 seed at this point, but it's not surprising that most predictors have them as a top 30 team, because the play on the Court does suggest that, despite those losses.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2016 10:54 AM by bearcatmark.)
02-15-2016 10:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
The committee doesn't use RPI as their guide for whether teams get in or not.

The committee uses RPI for seeding purposes after the teams are selected...and also have to factor in splitting up conference teams, look at sites, etc...

It really is as simple as that.
02-15-2016 11:04 AM
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
The committee though used the advanced metrics more last year than ever before. Really don't think that's a 1 year thing quite frankly. It's why UConn and Cincy are in a lot better shape than folks think- and why Temple really has a ton of work to do to get in the hunt for an at large.....
02-15-2016 11:07 AM
bearcatmark Online

(02-15-2016 11:04 AM)HP-TBDPITL Wrote:  The committee doesn't use RPI as their guide for whether teams get in or not.

The committee uses RPI for seeding purposes after the teams are selected...and also have to factor in splitting up conference teams, look at sites, etc...

It really is as simple as that.

This just isn't true. Committee has always looked to RPI when it tries to figure out who you beat and who you lost to. Record vs. top 25 RPI, top 50RPI, and top 100 RPI are consistently talked about by committee in terms of selection. Your actual RPI number is less important though I think you'll find that teams get dropped a seed line or two if their RPI is significantly lower than the rest of their resume implies they should be seeded.

That said they aren't limited by that and can make quality judgments independent of these things (and often when they do it ends up being among their most baffling decisions). I only take cursory looks at any of the other measures for selection purposes because I almost never hear the committee talk about them.
02-15-2016 11:30 AM
bearcatmark Online

(02-15-2016 11:07 AM)stever20 Wrote:  The committee though used the advanced metrics more last year than ever before. Really don't think that's a 1 year thing quite frankly. It's why UConn and Cincy are in a lot better shape than folks think- and why Temple really has a ton of work to do to get in the hunt for an at large.....

I hope this is true, but really did not get that impression last year.
02-15-2016 11:30 AM
Advertisement

Cecil_B_DeMoore Offline
Special Teams

(02-15-2016 10:00 AM)stxrunner Wrote:  They actually have everything to do with the committee's job. You just don't like the results.

Actually, I'm quite satisfied with the results. The on-the-court results.
02-15-2016 11:35 AM
TempleU22 Offline
Special Teams

I love how fans most cinci and UCONN fans won't simply acknowledge the flaws behind Kenpom and Sagarin. It's just as flawed of a system as RPI. I understand that you love seeing your team that high and will fight for the ratings until the bitter end. I would think that the committee is smart enough to see the results that temple has accumulated in actual game action, not some silly metric the values how much you win by.
02-15-2016 11:40 AM
stever20 Online
Legend

(02-15-2016 11:30 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(02-15-2016 11:07 AM)stever20 Wrote:  The committee though used the advanced metrics more last year than ever before. Really don't think that's a 1 year thing quite frankly. It's why UConn and Cincy are in a lot better shape than folks think- and why Temple really has a ton of work to do to get in the hunt for an at large.....

I hope this is true, but really did not get that impression last year.

They said as much last year. It's why Temple and Colorado St didn't make the tourney, and teams like I think it was Indiana did.
02-15-2016 11:41 AM
stever20 Online
Legend

(02-15-2016 11:40 AM)TempleU22 Wrote:  I love how fans most cinci and UCONN fans won't simply acknowledge the flaws behind Kenpom and Sagarin. It's just as flawed of a system as RPI. I understand that you love seeing your team that high and will fight for the ratings until the bitter end. I would think that the committee is smart enough to see the results that temple has accumulated in actual game action, not some silly metric the values how much you win by.

Kenpom is why you guys missed the tourney last year when your RPI was in the 30's. KP was in the 70's though- and thus you were NIT.
02-15-2016 11:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.