Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WNBA underclass women
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
WNBA underclass women
Do you ever foresee underclass women in the WNBA draft? Griner certainly could've pulled it off.
02-14-2016 11:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
RE: WNBA underclass women
Without doing a quick search, I believe Candice Parker did declare early. There's not as much incentive to do so for the WNBA because there's not as much money and in turn, actually trying to get a degree is a good side effect in the women's game instead of a hindrance and mutually pointless venture for so many in the men's game.

There are a few leagues that pay solidly but even then, not good enough that it's wise to pass up a chance at a degree.
02-15-2016 12:01 AM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

Parker finished her degree early, IIRC
02-15-2016 12:03 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

She still had eligibility though. One way or another, the incentive is not there. WNBA arenas and pay have gotten smaller (or stagnated) not grown and they have to wear ads on their jerseys to compensate. The best franchise in league history folded.
02-15-2016 12:05 AM
Advertisement

Erictelevision Offline
All American

Yup, you're right that the salary doesn't justify the jump.
02-15-2016 12:07 AM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
You guys are forgetting where the real money is - overseas. Russian and Chinese teams have hundreds of thousands and sometimes millions of reasons for someone like Parker to leave school early. Hell, Diana Taurasi's Russian team offered her more than her salary to NOT PLAY the WNBA in 2015.
02-15-2016 01:55 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(02-15-2016 12:05 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  She still had eligibility though. One way or another, the incentive is not there. WNBA arenas and pay have gotten smaller (or stagnated) not grown and they have to wear ads on their jerseys to compensate. The best franchise in league history folded.

Yeah, but that is not the same. Personally in any sport, I don't consider it "leaving early" if you have a degree, but that is a story for another day. Anyway if the idea is there is not enough money to make it worth leaving school "early,"i.e. before you finish school, once you have a degree AND you are set to be a top pick, there isn't much of an issue. If you saw a woman leave, say after three years (Parker was a four year player), without a degree (or not in earshot of it), then that would be news.

Note that many top players play both in the WNBA here, and abroad during that off season - remember 20 years ago, there was no WNBA, and the women had to go abroad to go pro anyway, so women's basketball as a professional league is light years ahead there. As listed above, more money can be made abroad (that is why the WNBA is in the "off season") but many like to play here as well, to keep their name recognition, which helps them after basketball. Well that and its extra money, and allows you to play in front of your own fans.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2016 03:35 PM by adcorbett.)
02-15-2016 03:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(02-15-2016 01:55 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  You guys are forgetting where the real money is - overseas. Russian and Chinese teams have hundreds of thousands and sometimes millions of reasons for someone like Parker to leave school early. Hell, Diana Taurasi's Russian team offered her more than her salary to NOT PLAY the WNBA in 2015.

But you still don't leave school early for it. Getting a spot in one of those leagues is not nearly as hard as in the NBA, where leaving too late can affect your money and draft positioning.
02-15-2016 05:41 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

C2, it is not leaving school "early" if you graduate. That's the point. Staying for an extra year just to play college ball, when you have already graduated, and are not missing your window to make money. doesn't really make much sense at that point. Remember women athletes often have a shorter time to play professionally, both because they tend to not leave school early to do so, and if they want to be parents they tend to be done by their early 30's.
02-15-2016 05:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I was speaking in general, not about Parker or Taurasi.
02-15-2016 05:55 PM
Advertisement

Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
We're talking about women who have the potential to earn a salary playing basketball. In that universe, anyone who has the potential to earn high 6 figures or even 7 figures is HIGHLY incentivized to leave school as early as possible. Injury potential and time value of money say you grab it when you know you can get it. I don't like the idea of kids leaving college early if it's not certain they can get paid, but for those who can the window isn't going to be large. You get it while you can and finish college later (if needed).
02-15-2016 06:54 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Fair enough but you better be sure. There aren't as many opportunities to make big money in WBB.
02-15-2016 07:06 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

If you go to a major college though, you can likely go back and finish your degree for free. In fact nearly every American professionals franchise will pay your tuition whil you are employed by them.
02-15-2016 08:36 PM
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
I don't think there is enough money in the WNBA to get females to declare early...
02-15-2016 08:43 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Read the thread though, there is overseas.
02-16-2016 12:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.