Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Game Day (a day early): Kent
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Game Day (a day early): Kent
Should be an interesting game.

EMU played some great ball during the 1st half in Kent a few weeks ago before running out of gas and players in the 2nd half.

A loss may be a loss, but I like these games where the team comes out on fire in the 1st half even if they eventually lack depth to win vs. deep teams or in the infamous 'foul fests' which become a war of attrition for teams with short benches.

Should be a good battle between FOUR power players who are playing well: JT4 and Naz for us and Hall and Spicer.

Hall is a proven front court player and Spicer had a career day in Kent against us.

BTW, Kent has an old arena which looks its age, but the atmosphere there was amazing. Their students filled the student seating and were really into the game. The only problem I have, and hope I had the info right, but the lower bowl, chair back seats are held for donors and as a result not all are occupied. So they have more fans seated higher up in the 'cheap seats' and have too many empty seats in say the bottom 15 rows.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2016 05:38 AM by emu steve.)
02-12-2016 05:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
RE: Game Day (a day early): Kent
Positives about this game, we don't have to put with the Kent State video feed and announcers.

I agree with Steve I'm not sure about the W and Ls but this year's team has been fun to watch.

As it has with many games how is our 3 point shooting? If we're around 30-33% we can bomb some teams off the floor.
02-12-2016 07:13 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
If we win this game, then I'd feel reasonably optimistic that we can get to 9-9.

Simply put, just win one of the three remaining tough road games (Ohio, Ball State, Toledo) and hold serve at home (Toledo, NIU, WMU). It likely won't be that easy for this team (nothing ever is), but the schedule sets up well for us to redeem ourselves and get a home game for the tournament.

It all starts with tomorrow though. This is a game we cannot afford to lose. KSU is tough but beatable.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2016 07:25 AM by EagleSam.)
02-12-2016 07:24 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

(02-12-2016 07:13 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Positives about this game, we don't have to put with the Kent State video feed and announcers.

I agree with Steve I'm not sure about the W and Ls but this year's team has been fun to watch.

As it has with many games how is our 3 point shooting? If we're around 30-33% we can bomb some teams off the floor.

I agree with '79 100%.

Our defense has kind of 'sucked' because of lack of defensive intensity????

Maybe concentrating more on steals and offense OR not enough depth to allow the players to go 100% on both ends or not enough rebounding from the SF spot (which is critical in defensive stops and starting the break)?

Nevertheless the games have been much, much more fun to watch. I thought the ball movement was excellent vs. CMU.

I didn't see the KSU video feed (I was at the game, escaped the D.C. blizzard that weekend) but I'm sure I wasn't disappointed. 03-idea
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2016 07:26 AM by emu steve.)
02-12-2016 07:24 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

And there lies the key for next year, having Madray and LWH or is LHW should allow Thompson to be more aggressive on defense without having to worry about fouling out, that and if Thompson can add a few more pounds of muscle along with two other 6'9 should improve our defense and rebounding. We should have a "forest of trees" around the basket on the defensive end. What I would like to see is us get a high scoring SF 6'5-6'7 for next year to take the place of Price who will be a senior. Yeah I like a point guard too but the fact is we need some more instant offense off the bench when our starters get cold.
02-12-2016 07:47 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

Agree, 100% both '79 and 'Sam.
02-12-2016 08:20 AM
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

Yes, next year will be Murphy's 6th year and we will at best finish 10-8 in conference.

The big question is do we extend Murphy's contact every year until he dips below 0.500 in conference or cut ties. Simply put, after 5 years we all know he can not get us to more than a 0.500 conference record and in basketball that means it time to let another coach have an opportunity.

We should not be complacent....
02-12-2016 12:15 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(02-12-2016 12:15 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Yes, next year will be Murphy's 6th year and we will at best finish 10-8 in conference.

The big question is do we extend Murphy's contact every year until he dips below 0.500 in conference or cut ties. Simply put, after 5 years we all know he can not get us to more than a 0.500 conference record and in basketball that means it time to let another coach have an opportunity.

Do you ever say anything different? We get it, you hate Murphy. No need to flood every thread with the same opinion.

I'm glad we are already penciled in for 10-8 next year. Heck of a crystal ball you have. I hope you donate some of your inevitable lottery winnings to the school.
02-12-2016 12:32 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

(02-12-2016 12:15 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Yes, next year will be Murphy's 6th year and we will at best finish 10-8 in conference.

I agree 0.00% with you (that breaks my streak of 100% agreements for today).

Next year we'll be flat out loaded. If we finish say 8 - 10 (or whatever) this year we'll be among the strongest teams in the league. Maybe pre-seaon #2 to Akron.

The MAC doesn't lose too much to graduation BUT two teams take hits: UT - Boothe (maybe MAC POY) and CMU, Fowler.

We lose Naz, who has had a nice senior year but isn't a candidate for 1st team all-conference or POY like those two...

And, we, repeating, have three sitouts. Like money in the bank. Madray is established as a D-I starter.

So Madray or LWH steps right into Naz's spot after the last game next month... Add Jones to an 8-man rotation and maybe one or two new recruits and this team has the talent to improve by say +4 or 5 wins in conference.

W/out 05-deadhorse we could easily be 5 - 6 or even 6 - 5 today...

As Sam has been indicating, we have a chance for a decent record this year, even with the BSU debacle, with a more favorable schedule the rest of the way...

Flip that game, and we finish 9 - 9 or 10 - 8 despite a team with a lot of newcomers and very limited bench. That changes next year.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2016 12:43 PM by emu steve.)
02-12-2016 12:35 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

Kent's Xavier Pollard, who had a good game against last month, suffered a year-ending injury against Ohio a couple weeks ago. Tough break for the kid. He was all over the place in the 2nd half of our game.
02-12-2016 01:22 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

(02-12-2016 01:22 PM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  Kent's Xavier Pollard, who had a good game against last month, suffered a year-ending injury against Ohio a couple weeks ago. Tough break for the kid. He was all over the place in the 2nd half of our game.

Tough break, indeed.

Don't know if he he is a senior or redshirt senior. He apparently sat out a season after his transfer from Maine.

EDIT: I checked Blue Ribbon Yearbook. He is a fifth year senior. His career is over.

Guess he redshirted his first year, played two, then sat out one season as a transfer, and then this his 5th year.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2016 02:04 PM by emu steve.)
02-12-2016 01:56 PM
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(02-12-2016 12:32 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  

Do you ever say anything different? We get it, you hate Murphy. No need to flood every thread with the same opinion.

I'm glad we are already penciled in for 10-8 next year. Heck of a crystal ball you have. I hope you donate some of your inevitable lottery winnings to the school.

No really Sam, I do not hate anyone. I actually like Coach Murphy. I do not agree with his strategy but hate would not describe how I feel about it. Obviously you are connected to the Murphy regime. I am merely providing facts and asking a question?

I am looking at this from a business perspective. 1) Coach had 6 years to win conference and could not finish in top four spots. 2) Attendance is decreasing.

Maybe we can find a better fit to run EMU basketball ?
02-12-2016 03:45 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

the time to evaluate Murphy is when his contract expires
02-12-2016 03:56 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(02-12-2016 03:45 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(02-12-2016 12:32 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  

No really Sam, I do not hate anyone. I actually like Coach Murphy. I do not agree with his strategy but hate would not describe how I feel about it. Obviously you are connected to the Murphy regime. I am merely providing facts and asking a question?

I am looking at this from a business perspective. 1) Coach had 6 years to win conference and could not finish in top four spots. 2) Attendance is decreasing.

Maybe we can find a better fit to run EMU basketball ?

Not connected to Murphy at all. I just don't blame him for everything like you do. Blaming him for attendance is the dead giveaway that you just have it out for him. It's all good though.

I have been disappointed with how this season has gone, and many of the same issues still plague us. But he isn't going anywhere unless we completely bottom out the rest of this season, and I strongly doubt that happens. He deserves a chance to bring back a very experienced roster with added front court depth (our obvious weakness this season). You can jump to conclusions for next season already if you'd like, but I won't do that.

If we finish under .500 in conference next year (or even at .500), I'd think it's time to move on. But he's earned the chance to coach out his contract and for us to see how he improves the team with arguably the preseason POY going into next season.
02-12-2016 04:12 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(02-12-2016 03:56 PM)emu79 Wrote:  the time to evaluate Murphy is when his contract expires

This.
02-12-2016 04:12 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(02-12-2016 04:12 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  
(02-12-2016 03:56 PM)emu79 Wrote:  the time to evaluate Murphy is when his contract expires

This.
Got mediocrity? Why yes he does!
02-12-2016 05:20 PM
Advertisement

RamyEMU Offline
All American

(02-12-2016 07:24 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  If we win this game, then I'd feel reasonably optimistic that we can get to 9-9.

Simply put, just win one of the three remaining tough road games (Ohio, Ball State, Toledo) and hold serve at home (Toledo, NIU, WMU). It likely won't be that easy for this team (nothing ever is), but the schedule sets up well for us to redeem ourselves and get a home game for the tournament.

It all starts with tomorrow though. This is a game we cannot afford to lose. KSU is tough but beatable.

Excellent point as usual Sam. All 3 are should win home games and all three are "opportunity" road games for lack of a better term. They could easily finish 4-2 through that stretch.

Which makes this Kent St game a crucial one for EMU since it is an "opportunity" game for Kent St.

Not saying making a run to 9-9 is or should be exciting, but posting a losing record in conference play (again) would be really disappointing given the talent on this team. So hoping for this consolation prize.
02-12-2016 06:05 PM
emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

We are favored by 4.5.
02-12-2016 06:38 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

BTW, O/T:

Ohio (Campbell 28 / 15) smoked Buffalo. UB played without Bearden. Don't know why.

Campbell vs. JT4 Tuesday will be a classic. Some think that Campbell, not JT4 or Boothe, is the best center in the MAC.
02-12-2016 09:54 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

(02-12-2016 06:38 PM)emussuperfan Wrote:  We are favored by 4.5.

For reasons I do not understand, we 'opened' a big 6.5 point favorite (now 5).

I realize this is a home game for us, but we got smoke the 2nd half in Kent.

Kent is minus Pollard, also, but still, Kent is Kent....

Seems too big to me. More of a pick em game??

But Kent has been running hot and cold this conference season, a 5-game win streak, including us, and then a 3-game losing streak.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba.../_/id/2309
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2016 04:39 AM by emu steve.)
02-13-2016 04:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.