UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would Haase consider taking the HC job at Memphis?
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
Would Haase consider taking the HC job at Memphis?
Apparently a Memphis poster thinks it is a realistic possibility:

http://csnbbs.com/thread-768154.html
02-11-2016 11:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
RE: Would Haase consider taking the HC job at Memphis?
Everyone knows they're going to hire Steve Kerr.
02-12-2016 12:03 AM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I understand there isn't an opening but what if the job becomes available? Would Memphis seriously go after Haase? My personal opinion is Haase would only be a good fit at two schools in the AAC: UCONN and Temple. I just don't think Haase would be a good fit for Memphis. Haase is do-gooder, Memphis needs a coach that's willing to go into the "grey" area of recruiting.
02-12-2016 12:05 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
There is absolutely zero chance that Haase would be accepted in Memphis by the fans. They are sick of "nice" "clean" coaches like Haase and Pastner. There have been plenty of complaints that Josh Pastner doesn't cuss and the Memphis kind of player doesn't respect a coach like that.

Haase is too nice for Memphis.
02-12-2016 12:16 AM
BlazerPhil Online
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
If UM offered him a 10.5 mil buyout he'd be stupid not to take it. Phil Jackson would be stupid not to take it.
02-12-2016 12:37 AM
Advertisement

ICB Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
Whether he will have interest in the job or not, their fans and media will say he does. So if the opening realizes, get ready for the rumors. No one can fault him for exploring opportunities that could result in better financial situations. But he is smart enough to realize that it is not all about the Benjamins.
02-12-2016 09:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
After paying 10 mil to get rid of one nice guy, Memphis won't be able to pay Haase much more than he gets now.
02-12-2016 09:34 AM
Hopeful Offline
Special Teams

That's for real? I thought the too clean thing was just a joke. That's seriously kind of sad. Running a clean program should be a point of pride instead of being viewed as hurdle that others just run through.

Either way, if it was open, there's no reason why it shouldn't be in consideration. At the very least, his agent would get him to fake some interest just to get his pay bumped up.

I still can't believe Pastner's buy out, though. That thing deserves its own 30 for 30.
02-12-2016 10:30 AM
DragonClaw Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB Blazers
Naive and idealistic perhaps, but I believe Haase is committed emotionally to staying with us until last year's freshman (especially HaHa) graduate.
02-12-2016 10:35 AM
Advertisement

ICB Offline
Heisman

A very important question in this discussion is should Haase have similar success as last year
1. Is he deserving of another bump?
2. Are we able to give him one and if so how much?
02-12-2016 02:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
(02-12-2016 12:05 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  I understand there isn't an opening but what if the job becomes available? Would Memphis seriously go after Haase? My personal opinion is Haase would only be a good fit at two schools in the AAC: UCONN and Temple. I just don't think Haase would be a good fit for Memphis. Haase is do-gooder, Memphis needs a coach that's willing to go into the "grey" area of recruiting.

I think he's an interesting name for us. I think most of us expect Aaron McKie to be named HC, but we'll see. I think we're reaching the point where we need new blood.
02-12-2016 02:28 PM
Tampa Bay Tiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
If Pearl didn't have the buyout he does at Auburn it would be a no-brainier.
02-12-2016 03:45 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-12-2016 02:28 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  
(02-12-2016 12:05 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  I understand there isn't an opening but what if the job becomes available? Would Memphis seriously go after Haase? My personal opinion is Haase would only be a good fit at two schools in the AAC: UCONN and Temple. I just don't think Haase would be a good fit for Memphis. Haase is do-gooder, Memphis needs a coach that's willing to go into the "grey" area of recruiting.

I think he's an interesting name for us. I think most of us expect Aaron McKie to be named HC, but we'll see. I think we're reaching the point where we need new blood.

I didn't know the current coach was on the hotseat.
02-12-2016 05:54 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(02-12-2016 05:54 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  

I think Temple is the current #1 seed in the AAC since SMU are liars and cheaters.
02-12-2016 06:11 PM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(02-12-2016 12:05 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  I just don't think Haase would be a good fit for Memphis. Haase is do-gooder, Memphis needs a coach that's willing to go into the "grey" area of recruiting.

That's not the problem. I don't think you are familiar with Pastner. Recruiting is his forte. That's the only thing he should get credit for. Memphis presently has 2 McDonald's All-Americans on the roster.

His problem isn't being a do-gooder. The problem is he can't coach and he can't retain players. As the program declines recruiting takes a hit as well. Butts in seat/actual turnstile count this season has averaged 5889.

I have no idea if Haase would be a good fit or not, though just about anyone given the talent that Pastner has on the team could do a better job as coach.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2016 07:10 PM by cotton1991.)
02-12-2016 07:09 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-12-2016 07:09 PM)cotton1991 Wrote:  
(02-12-2016 12:05 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  I just don't think Haase would be a good fit for Memphis. Haase is do-gooder, Memphis needs a coach that's willing to go into the "grey" area of recruiting.

That's not the problem. I don't think you are familiar with Pastner. Recruiting is his forte. That's the only thing he should get credit for. Memphis presently has 2 McDonald's All-Americans on the roster.

His problem isn't being a do-gooder. The problem is he can't coach and he can't retain players. As the program declines recruiting takes a hit as well. Butts in seat/actual turnstile count this season has averaged 5889.

I have no idea if Haase would be a good fit or not, though just about anyone given the talent that Pastner has on the team could do a better job as coach.

I'm familiar with Pastner. If Memphis is going to be looking for a new coach then Haase would definitely be a good candidate. The reality is CUSA Basketball sucks which makes keeping a good coach very difficult. Tougher to recruit, tougher to get into the Dance. Not sure Memphis would be a desired destination for Haase.
02-12-2016 07:25 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
(02-12-2016 05:54 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  

It honestly just depends who you are talking to. He's a great guy, the absolute best representative you could ask for to represent your university, especially with all of the shenanigans in college athletics today. He is a tremendous game day coach, and he is possibly the best coach in the entire country in squeezing the most talent possible out of what he has. The major issue is that he has to resort to that because he's a truly awful recruiter (read: salesman). He is exceedingly blunt. He does not promise playing time. He does not promise players they will start. He has never made the Sweet Sixteen in 9 years at Temple. We get to the Tournament, and we either get crushed inside because we never have any big men depth, or we can't score because we only have one truly capable scorer.

He's 67 years old. He's been a head coach for 27 years. It's just time for us to bring in someone younger and hungrier, who can relate to today's recruits. You can't get away with having a head coach who does not do social media unless you are Coach K.
02-13-2016 02:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.