Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Was this discussed?
Bookmark and Share
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
Was this discussed?
Was this discussed last week when NIU announced its lowest enrollment in 34 years --19,000 students last spring to 18,519 students this spring?
Board of Trustee members are asking for more details "..and not just random bullet points."

http://northernstar.info/campus/board-as...797d1.html
02-08-2016 11:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
RE: Was this discussed?
I'm sure some of the progress they've made has been dialed back by good old Rauner and friends.
02-08-2016 11:46 PM
Michael James Offline
1st String

I Root For: Northern
Luckily they brought in more freshman and transfers than last year.
02-09-2016 01:30 AM
NIUTrekker Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU
There's still the issue that Illinois is the largest exporter in the U.S. of college students. When adjacent states offer in-state tuition rates then Illinois kids look elsewhere. I live on the east coast and when we took my daughter to numerous school visits, including Virginia Tech, NIU definitely stood out at as being the friendliest. Also, the dorms and athletic fields were vastly superior to all of the schools we visited. I wonder to what extent are we contacting prospective student across the state and border states by sending them post cards, emails, etc to come visit the campus. Honestly, I'm at a loss because my wife and I love the university and the DeKalb area. (And, we both have been very successful in our professional lives due to NIU's academics).
02-09-2016 06:40 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

Does this possibly have anything to do with raising admission standards?
02-09-2016 09:45 AM
NIU75 Offline
All American

Meet with 100 counselors from the suburban schools and they will be brutally honest with you why their students are not attending NIU.
Meet with 100 students from the suburban schools and they will be brutally honest why they are not attending NIU.
Meet with 100 parents from the suburban schools and they will be brutally honest with you why their kids are not attending NIU.
The reputation (perceived/real) of NIU is horrible.

Tell me why ISU is busting at the seams with students with highest test scores ever and we are going down hill fast?

It is more than post cards folks.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2016 09:54 AM by NIU75.)
02-09-2016 09:49 AM
Advertisement

UnknownScout Offline
2nd String

There's no doubt that Dr. Baker and the recruitment team need to fix it. There needs to be some sort of marketing blitz to get the perception that NIU is a dangerous school turned around. Get into the suburbs and downstate and get those counselors talking to kids about NIU, show that it's not dangerous to go there. Change the mindset. It won't happen overnight, but start now or NIU will be EIU in terms of student population. The BoT should be having a fit about this. There is no acceptable reason why student population should continue to fall as dramatically as it has. Keep the kids in state and at NIU.
02-09-2016 09:57 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
From what I've been told, a lot of other schools, including out-of-state schools, are cheaper than the Illinois state schools.
02-09-2016 10:25 AM
ColinApocalypse Offline

I Root For: WMU
I don't know if this is related in any way, but I swear that half of the student population at WMU is from the Chicago area. I don't know how/why we get so many Illinois kids...
02-09-2016 11:11 AM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Well Chicago State and EIU are really feeling the budget pinch. Will EIU survive. Any budget approved will not give higher education more money. They are the last in line for hand outs.
02-09-2016 11:22 AM
JB04 Offline
1st String

(02-09-2016 09:57 AM)UnknownScout Wrote:  There's no doubt that Dr. Baker and the recruitment team need to fix it. There needs to be some sort of marketing blitz to get the perception that NIU is a dangerous school turned around. Get into the suburbs and downstate and get those counselors talking to kids about NIU, show that it's not dangerous to go there. Change the mindset. It won't happen overnight, but start now or NIU will be EIU in terms of student population. The BoT should be having a fit about this. There is no acceptable reason why student population should continue to fall as dramatically as it has. Keep the kids in state and at NIU.

You can do a multi million dollar marketing blitz....or knock down any subsidized housing that is smack in the middle of campus. That won't happen, so perceptions will remain
02-09-2016 11:58 AM
Advertisement

HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-09-2016 11:11 AM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  I don't know if this is related in any way, but I swear that half of the student population at WMU is from the Chicago area. I don't know how/why we get so many Illinois kids...

Especially when out of state cost of attendance is $37k at WMU vs $26k instate at NIU.
02-09-2016 11:58 AM
MileHighHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-09-2016 11:58 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  
(02-09-2016 11:11 AM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  I don't know if this is related in any way, but I swear that half of the student population at WMU is from the Chicago area. I don't know how/why we get so many Illinois kids...

Especially when out of state cost of attendance is $37k at WMU vs $26k instate at NIU.

WMU has bigger oars? NIU needs to clean up the campus more too, they have done well in that category, but we have a long way to go.
02-09-2016 12:54 PM
thetachihuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For:
It is the college advisors at most of the high schools that determine our reputation. They are the ones that should be the marketing targets. We need to re-educate them. They read the paper and get the rather biased reporting out of Chicago.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2016 02:22 PM by thetachihuskie.)
02-09-2016 02:19 PM
OldTtimeNIU Offline
1st String

(02-08-2016 11:46 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  I'm sure some of the progress they've made has been dialed back by good old Rauner and friends.

Let's not forget the teflon don of Ill Mike Madigan...
02-09-2016 02:21 PM
blackhawk Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: huskies
It's more than perception. The reality must be changed.
NIU must, somehow, do its' best to restore the NIU of the 60's, 70's and 80's.
Political correctness or kool-aid is not the answer.
This requires MAJOR work.
We have earned our reputation, unfortunately.
Whatever progress NIU football has made over the course of the past two decades, NIU...the school and campus part of that football team has regressed equally.
We now feel less University of ____ (name your leafy college campus) and more Chicago State U.
02-09-2016 03:47 PM
Advertisement

JB04 Offline
1st String

.....or you can eliminate the subsidized housing smack in the middle of campus.

For the record, I am going to keep saying this. It isn't me that cares as much about it, but the fact is A LOT of people talk about "the village". I gave up defending it and am now convinced until you reduce and knock down subsidized/section 8 housing that is in the middle of campus....the perception is going to remain.
02-09-2016 03:56 PM
DeKalb57 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Barbs & Huskies
(02-09-2016 03:47 PM)blackhawk Wrote:  It's more than perception. The reality must be changed.
NIU must, somehow, do its' best to restore the NIU of the 60's, 70's and 80's.
Political correctness or kool-aid is not the answer.
This requires MAJOR work.
We have earned our reputation, unfortunately.

Whatever progress NIU football has made over the course of the past two decades, NIU...the school and campus part of that football team has regressed equally.
We now feel less University of ____ (name your leafy college campus) and more Chicago State U.
While I don't disagree, this is a sobering, bitter pill to swallow.
02-09-2016 03:58 PM
DeKalb57 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Barbs & Huskies
(02-09-2016 03:56 PM)JB04 Wrote:  .....or you can eliminate the subsidized housing smack in the middle of campus.

For the record, I am going to keep saying this. It isn't me that cares as much about it, but the fact is A LOT of people talk about "the village". I gave up defending it and am now convinced until you reduce and knock down subsidized/section 8 housing that is in the middle of campus....the perception is going to remain.
You can keep saying it to your grave. I would suggest moving on to a different solution. This property is entrenched and, is not going anywhere. Any effort to "deal with it" will be met with a lawsuit from HUD.
02-09-2016 04:04 PM
blackhawk Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: huskies
Said very well, DeKalb.
I have fought the obvious for years, but it's too blatant.
If you were to capture a video and recreate the culture of NIU in the decades past....You'd be shocked at the current state.
It's awfully depressing.
Again, this is not a tweak here and there...this is MAJOR.
Things began changing in the 90's and it's spiraled down...now, out of control.
The reality must change...then we can all work on our perception.
NIU has been a wonderful university for most of us. Our leaders at Northern must be bold...really bold and take back the university.
New York was saved many moons ago by some guy named Rudy (sorry if this losing people), so, NIU can be had, as well.
02-09-2016 04:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.