Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Jeff Fisher...
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
Jeff Fisher...
Can anyone tell me what he's accomplished to get such a great reputation? One memorable run to the Super Bowl?
02-08-2016 06:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
RE: Jeff Fisher...
you couldn't bother to humor me?
02-08-2016 07:17 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(02-08-2016 06:20 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Can anyone tell me what he's accomplished to get such a great reputation? One memorable run to the Super Bowl?

...practicing superior grooming habits and keeping a consistent man-tan?

[Image: Jeff-Fisher-USPRushDolphins.jpg]
02-08-2016 09:40 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(02-08-2016 09:40 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(02-08-2016 06:20 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Can anyone tell me what he's accomplished to get such a great reputation? One memorable run to the Super Bowl?

...practicing superior grooming habits and keeping a consistent man-tan?

[Image: Jeff-Fisher-USPRushDolphins.jpg]

LOL
02-08-2016 10:52 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB

He was pretty consistent good to great for about a decade. The end in Tennessee wasn't his fault IMHO.
02-10-2016 11:23 AM
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(02-10-2016 11:23 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  

He was pretty consistent good to great for about a decade. The end in Tennessee wasn't his fault IMHO.

That's his reputation, but not his record. He's been a head coach for 20 seasons and won his division 4 times. With only four teams in a division, an "average" coach should win it five times in that span. He also only has six winning seasons in that span. That's not even above average, much less good to great.

Where his luck has come from, is having good seasons at the end of down/.500 cycles, which makes him hard to fire. He gets on the hot seat, then does just well enough at the end of his contract to get an extension, rinse and repeat.

Now admittedly he's been in some tough spots. First he was in the toughest division in football in he late 90's with Jacksonville (people forget they used to be really good with Mark Brunell, Fred Taylor, Jimmy smith, and Keenan mcCardell), Pittsburgh, and Baltimore. Then they moved divisions and he got beat up by Peyton manning for a decade. Then he gets fired and lands a plum job in an "easy" division, only to them see Jim Harbaugh, Pete Carroll, and Bruce Arians show up.

So he's certainly been very unlucky.
02-10-2016 02:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Granted, one of those years he didn't win the division title he led one of the most memorable Super Bowl runs ever but yep, Fisher has had a long career of mediocrity. Coaches who have a long tract record of high level success have been fired for less. He was on the verge of being fired after years of mediocrity with the Oilers/Titans before the AFC title run saved his job and career.

He's a better coach than his record shows but if he was as good as his longevity suggest, he'd have more accomplishment.
02-10-2016 05:42 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(02-10-2016 05:42 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Granted, one of those years he didn't win the division title he led one of the most memorable Super Bowl runs ever but yep, Fisher has had a long career of mediocrity. Coaches who have a long tract record of high level success have been fired for less. He was on the verge of being fired after years of mediocrity with the Oilers/Titans before the AFC title run saved his job and career.

He's a better coach than his record shows but if he was as good as his longevity suggest, he'd have more accomplishment.

Agree. I have nothing personal against the guy and he seems to do things the right way and has integrity with his players but I would say his career record is pretty vanilla.

21 Seasons
Regular season: 165–150–1 (.524)
Postseason: 5–6 (.455)
Career: 170–156–1 (.521)
AFC Championships: 1
Super Bowl Appearances: 1
Super Bowl Wins: 0
02-11-2016 09:59 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(02-10-2016 02:59 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  
(02-10-2016 11:23 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  

That's his reputation, but not his record. He's been a head coach for 20 seasons and won his division 4 times. With only four teams in a division, an "average" coach should win it five times in that span. He also only has six winning seasons in that span. That's not even above average, much less good to great.

Where his luck has come from, is having good seasons at the end of down/.500 cycles, which makes him hard to fire. He gets on the hot seat, then does just well enough at the end of his contract to get an extension, rinse and repeat.

Now admittedly he's been in some tough spots. First he was in the toughest division in football in he late 90's with Jacksonville (people forget they used to be really good with Mark Brunell, Fred Taylor, Jimmy smith, and Keenan mcCardell), Pittsburgh, and Baltimore. Then they moved divisions and he got beat up by Peyton manning for a decade. Then he gets fired and lands a plum job in an "easy" division, only to them see Jim Harbaugh, Pete Carroll, and Bruce Arians show up.

So he's certainly been very unlucky.

I don't think that you can hold anything that happened to him in Tennessee against him. It's really hard to win without a QB*, and I feel very strongly that Bud Adams screwed him out of a QB.

*Yeah, I know the Ravens won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer (Dillfer), but that was by design. They put all of their eggs into the their defensive basket. Tennessee had strong defenses, but was never 100% committed to defense.
02-12-2016 10:41 AM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

What QB were they gonna grab in 2006 that was highly touted? Vince Young may have been something if he wasn't so full of himself and more coachable. Even Jay Cutler is a "meh" above average QB. Vince Young was solid for a few years.
02-12-2016 11:17 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(02-12-2016 11:17 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  What QB were they gonna grab in 2006 that was highly touted? Vince Young may have been something if he wasn't so full of himself and more coachable. Even Jay Cutler is a "meh" above average QB. Vince Young was solid for a few years.

It's not who they could have grabbed. It's who they could have kept. McNair was the PERFECT mentor for Vince, who could have been great. Instead, VY was fast tracked, and fell apart. Sure, he had some amazing games and plays, but he also had some abysmal plays and games.
02-12-2016 12:01 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

McNair was also over the hill or at least headed that way and besides, their late owner was trying to stick it to his former city and division rival in Houston by drafting their native son who was coming off a national title in college.
02-12-2016 04:57 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(02-12-2016 04:57 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  McNair was also over the hill or at least headed that way and besides, their late owner was trying to stick it to his former city and division rival in Houston by drafting their native son who was coming off a national title in college.

I don't disagree. I just don't think that this argues against my contention.
02-12-2016 06:25 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

27-36-1 and 0 playoff appearances in 4 seasons draws a contract exstension. Go figure.
03-01-2016 10:41 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
The Rams aren't loaded with talent and players will have trouble focusing during a disorganized first season back in LA. Might as well stick with Coach Mediocrity for this year and maybe next as well.
03-01-2016 11:38 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

And in 2-3 years he'll pull off a 13-3 season and get a contract extension that will last for the rest of his career.
03-01-2016 05:55 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(03-01-2016 05:55 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  And in 2-3 years he'll pull off a 13-3 season and get a contract extension that will last for the rest of his career.

That's what he does...
03-02-2016 12:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.