Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

The reason this is the lowest point
Bookmark and Share
GoeTygers Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis
Some like to hold onto overall record as the reason that the program isn't as bad as it was during the Tic Price years, but the truth is it is far worse.

The reason is this: Myself, and it seems more fans than I can count, feel nothing whether we win or we lose. Total apathy.

I remember being glued to my radio during every non televised game even during the Tic years. I remember a game when we were down 40 something to 12 at halftime @Charlotte. I was energized with every shot or play that we made, and felt every blow that came with an embarrassing loss. We actually came back and made it a game in the end.

At least with Tic, there was hope that we might be competitive against a good team. Even if we questioned his decisions, we had WARRIORS like Omar Sneed and Jermaine Ousely. We played tough, beat a good Oklahoma team in Norman, played nail biters to Arkansas and @Georgetown, and lost to a controversial play to a ridiculously talented Fresno State team in Fresno that included Rafer Alston and Chris Herron.

Did you know that, minus the year of the 4 Kings, that Johnny Jones has more top 25 wins than Pastner does?? That team fought, upset top 25 Miami when Keiron Shine went off, played nail biters to top 15 Tennessee and Depaul, and ended the season winning 6 games in a row before losing a nail biter to a loaded Depaul team.

I remember every game that Tic and Johnny and Finch and Dana ever coached MORE than I remember games from this season. Thats because I don't follow them anymore. Thats because I know how the story is going to end. That doesnt mean that we will automatically lose to Cincy this weekend, but if we win it will mean almost nothing. We know 100% that we wont go 2-0 vs Cincy and Houston. We know 100% that Josh couldn't beat a top 25 team this year. Close loss to Oklahoma?? They were playing their first game and shaking the rust off. If we play them today we lose by 40.

This is the lowest point in the history of Tiger basketball.

Thanks Josh
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2016 03:38 PM by GoeTygers.)
02-05-2016 03:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
RE: The reason this is the lowest point
(02-05-2016 03:37 PM)GoeTygers Wrote:  Some like to hold onto overall record as the reason that the program isn't as bad as it was during the Tic Price years, but the truth is it is far worse.

The reason is this: Myself, and it seems more fans than I can count, feel nothing whether we win or we lose. Total apathy.

I remember being glued to my radio during every non televised game even during the Tic years. I remember a game when we were down 40 something to 12 at halftime @Charlotte. I was energized with every shot or play that we made, and felt every blow that came with an embarrassing loss. We actually came back and made it a game in the end.

At least with Tic, there was hope that we might be competitive against a good team. Even if we questioned his decisions, we had WARRIORS like Omar Sneed and Jermaine Ousely. We played tough, beat a good Oklahoma team in Norman, played nail biters to Arkansas and @Georgetown, and lost to a controversial play to a ridiculously talented Fresno State team in Fresno that included Rafer Alston and Chris Herron.

Did you know that, minus the year of the 4 Kings, that Johnny Jones has more top 25 wins than Pastner does?? That team fought, upset top 25 Miami when Keiron Shine went off, played nail biters to top 15 Tennessee and Depaul, and ended the season winning 6 games in a row before losing a nail biter to a loaded Depaul team.

I remember every game that Tic and Johnny and Finch and Dana ever coached MORE than I remember games from this season. Thats because I don't follow them anymore. Thats because I know how the story is going to end. That doesnt mean that we will automatically lose to Cincy this weekend, but if we win it will mean almost nothing. We know 100% that we wont go 2-0 vs Cincy and Houston. We know 100% that Josh couldn't beat a top 25 team this year. Close loss to Oklahoma?? They were playing their first game and shaking the rust off. If we play them today we lose by 40.

Thanks Josh

It's a sad day to be a Tiger fan for sure.
02-05-2016 03:45 PM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

I hope you are right. But I fear it could get worse before it gets better.
02-05-2016 03:52 PM
oldmangrizz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: free love
(02-05-2016 03:52 PM)holyterror Wrote:  I hope you are right. But I fear it could get worse before it gets better.

It can get worse?

Say it ain’t so, Joe.
02-05-2016 03:57 PM
Advertisement

RekeHavoc Offline
#DoIt4Dez

(02-05-2016 03:57 PM)oldmangrizz Wrote:  
(02-05-2016 03:52 PM)holyterror Wrote:  I hope you are right. But I fear it could get worse before it gets better.

It can get worse?

Say it ain’t so, Joe.

Just wail til next year.
02-05-2016 03:58 PM
wctiger65 Offline
Banned

(02-05-2016 03:37 PM)GoeTygers Wrote:  Some like to hold onto overall record as the reason that the program isn't as bad as it was during the Tic Price years, but the truth is it is far worse.

Thanks Josh

Tic gets a lot of grief and deservedly so, but he really wasn't here but 2 seasons. There was hope after his first year. His second year was disappointing. Maybe his extracurricular activities caused all of that? Who knows? I get what you are saying however.
02-05-2016 03:59 PM
dfwtxtiger Offline
All American

(02-05-2016 03:58 PM)RekeHavoc Wrote:  
(02-05-2016 03:57 PM)oldmangrizz Wrote:  

It can get worse?

Say it ain’t so, Joe.

Just wail til next year.

Especially if he is still here next year with his wonderful incoming class.
02-05-2016 06:18 PM
Advertisement

John44932 Offline
Special Teams

Yeah, things have gotten pretty bad. I used to attend all the home games when I lived in Memphis. When I moved away, I tried to watch every game that was televised and was hitting refresh on ESPN constantly when I couldn't find the game. I don't even bother looking to see if a game is on now days, and hardly pay attention to when the next game is any more. I'm still proud to be a Tiger, but I just don't see any point in really following them at this point.

There really isn't an intelligent debate to be had about Pastner at this point. The guy is so toxic that he needs to leave as soon as possible. He has hurt and setback the program. Cutting ties with him is essential and the first step to turning things around.

Any threads about him at this point have become pretty much meaningless. Most people agree he needs to go. Anybody that is posting positive threads about him when we win are just trying to start a fight. I figure at this point there are 2 types of Positive Paul's or whatever you want to call them:

1. Not Tigers fan - they are just trolling.

2. Not Tigers fan - they are Pastner fans.

Either way, what is the point of trying to have a conversation with them? I came here to connect with Tigers fans. I don't think any one person (coach, player, administration) should ever become bigger and more important than the program itself. Pastner has and is hurting the program. You can't be a Tigers and a Pastner fan. Maybe they can go find a Pastner message board!
02-05-2016 07:08 PM
tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Memphis isn't the only program to fall on hard times and we won't be the last. JP is going to be gone soon and it will be time to start over. Just let it play out.
02-05-2016 08:24 PM
TruthBomb Offline
Banned

I Root For: UofM
I honestly forgot we were playing last night. Looks like that was a good thing.

Pastner has killed my passion for the basketball program. But not my school.
02-05-2016 08:33 PM
Advertisement

batman Offline
1st String

I Root For:
The original poster captured my feelings exactly!
02-05-2016 08:58 PM
thewood3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: U of M

Thanks Josh

This sums it up perfectly. I didn't grow up in Memphis but chose the UofM for college in 1996. I had a small understanding of Memphis history but even during the Tic years I watched every game bc there was hope.

Then Cal years occurred and even when the team wasn't great I had insatiable thirst for tiger bball.

But now I could care less. I've been saying JP sucks since 2011 if you've ever played competitive sports, you know he isn't a coach.

Unfortunately, I feel we are doomed bc Memphis can't pay the biggest buyout in CBB history to fix this problem. We have at minimum 4 years of under performing.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2016 09:08 PM by thewood3.)
02-05-2016 09:07 PM
tigers311 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Truth
I just hope he is gone soon. I don't think he should coach another game. He doesn't deserve to. It's beyond embarrassing.
02-05-2016 09:08 PM
Advertisement

cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

(02-05-2016 08:58 PM)batman Wrote:  The original poster captured my feelings exactly!

Mine too.

Until recently it seemed some posters would attack a fan's apathy as if the fan was intentionally "boycotting" the Tigers as some sort of protest against the coach.

In my case, and most others I think, it wasn't any sort of studied protest. It was honestly being worn down with the same thing over and over with no hope in sight. I just plain lost interest. I didn't want to. It just happened.
MemphisTigerPawr Offline
Jesus is the risen LORD and Savior

I Root For: TIGERS

Donators
It appears to be progressively getting worse and we are stuck with a 10 million dollar coach who hasn't a clue what to do to right the ship. Extending CJPs contract was the dumbest move any athletic department could ever make. Not to mention the buyout.The fans are tired of watching Pastners teams under achieve and will not come back to watch middle school basketball with a Kindergarten coach.
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

original comments. glad we started a new thread.
02-06-2016 12:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.