Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gator Bowl Deal
Bookmark and Share
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

Originally created Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Big 12 could share Gator Bowl tie-in

Verbal agreement in place; ACC would play either Big 12, Big East or Notre Dame.

By GARRY SMITS
The Times-Union
The Gator Bowl Association's next four-year contract could match up teams from the Big 12, the Big East or Notre Dame against the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Times-Union has learned.

The proposal, if ratified, would begin with the Jan. 1, 2007 game at Alltel Stadium. It would enable the Gator Bowl to invite a Big 12 team for two years, a Big East team for two years, or bypass a Big East team once to select independent Notre Dame if the Irish are bowl-eligble and not in a Bowl Championship Series game.

For non-BCS bowls, Notre Dame is part of the Big East and bound by agreements reached by that conference.

The Big 12, Big East and the Gator Bowl executive board have not yet finalized the deal, but officials of the conferences said an announcement about their bowl affiliations could come as early as this week.

The commissioners of the Big 12 and Big East have verbally agreed to the deal, said 2006 Gator Bowl chairman Mike Hartley.

Gator Bowl Association president Rick Catlett declined comment.

The GBA and the ACC already have renewed their affiliation for 2007-2010.

Big 12 associate athletic director Bob Burda and Big East media relations director John Paquette said final approval must be made by their conference presidents. Both confirmed that the plan to share affiliation with the Gator Bowl is being given serious consideration.

"I think we would have some spectacular matchups," Hartley told the Times-Union Monday of the multi-conference scenario, which would be unique among bowls. "I think we're taking the lead among non-BCS bowls to ensure some flexibility in matchups. This will be the coming thing for bowls."

Since 1996, the Gator Bowl has paired the ACC vs. a Big East team or Notre Dame. This is the final year of that arrangement.

If the agreement is passed, the Gator Bowl would join the Cotton, Holiday, Alamo and Champs Sports Bowls among the Big 12 affiliates. Among the teams playing in those games in recent years: Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas State, Nebraska, Colorado and Texas Tech.

The agreement also calls for more flexibility in bowl selections instead of slotting bowls in games according to their finish in the conference standings. Conference commissioners, bowls and television partners would determine non-BCS matchups that would result in more fan interest, and make consecutive bowl trips (Texas to the Holiday Bowl or West Virginia to the Gator Bowl) less frequent.

Either way, the Gator Bowl has been a hot property and had discussions with every major conference except the Pac-10.

"The Gator Bowl is a strong point of interest for the Big 12," Burda said. "It has a New Year's Day date in a state-of-the-art NFL stadium and in a city known for its hospitality for bowl teams. The game also is in an area that could be very helpful for our teams in terms of recruiting."

Paquette said the Big East's goal was to remain part of the Gator Bowl despite losing Miami, Virginia Tech and Boston College to the ACC. The Big East has since added Louisville, Cincinnati and South Florida.

"We've enjoyed our relationship with the Gator Bowl and Jacksonville, and we hope to be their partners in the future," he said.

Immediate past Gator Bowl chairman Bob Smith, who is the chairman of the selection committee for this year's game, said other plans have not yet been ruled out. But he said the Big 12/Big East plan has the most steam.

"We're working to accomplish a realignment of our affiliations," Smith said. "We're keeping all our options open, but having a choice of two conferences against the ACC is certainly one of those options."

"The Big 12 and the Big East are the major players right now," said past chairman Bob White.

When negotiations for the new affiliation contract began early this year, the ACC and the Gator Bowl quickly renewed their agreement for another four years, a move that went hand-in-hand, White said, with the city landing the ACC Championship Game in 2005 and 2006.

"We're married to the ACC," White said. "That's never been the issue."

The Big East's loss of Miami, Virginia Tech and Boston College to the ACC put that conference's future with the Gator Bowl in doubt. However, Gator Bowl officials have never ruled out maintaining a relationship with the Big East, which has produced a team that played in five of the top-10 attended games in the bowl's history.

The major sticking point is the conference's relationship with Notre Dame. For the Big East to remain affiliated, GBA officials still wanted access to Notre Dame. Initially, the GBA wanted the Notre Dame option in any given year, if the Big East remained with the Gator Bowl, but Hartley said that position has been softened with the addition of the Big 12 to the picture.

"We don't need to demand the access to Notre Dame in all four years of the contract, since we've got the chance to get Big 12 teams such as Texas, Nebraska, Kansas State or Colorado," he said.

Attendance averaged more than 72,000 in Notre Dame's two appearances in the Gator Bowl: 2003 against North Carolina State and 1999 against Georgia Tech.

"You can assume that any agreement with the Big East involves the option of taking Notre Dame when it is not in the BCS and bowl-eligible," Smith said.

After the conference affiliations have been finalized, the GBA will turn its attention to its network television deal. NBC, the Gator Bowl's broadcast partner since 1996, has an exclusive negotiating window with the GBA from Oct. 1 to Nov. 30. If no renewal agreement is reached, the GBA can accept bids from other networks.

<a href='http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/071205/col_19218026.shtml' target='_blank'>Gator Bowl Update</a>
07-12-2005 10:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Even though they don’t even play football in the BE – might as well just rename the thing the *Notre Dame Conference*
07-12-2005 11:06 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

CUSA board mods, can we please get this moved to the Smack or non-irrelavant board. This is non-CUSA related information.

Thanks.

CO CUSA!
07-12-2005 11:35 AM
st932253 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Knights

Why is C-USA projected to get more bowl games than the Big East this year?

If the Big East is a BCS worthy conference, they should have at least 5 teams bowling...heck with a smaller conference schedule, I'd expect to see 7 or 8.
07-12-2005 11:38 AM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

What I don't understand is why the BE administrations keep hanging on to the Notre Dame dream. It seems clear to everyone but them what's happening. It's like that sad situation where the pimple faced high schooler goes after the prom queen. She ain't going to marry you buddy! – hell, she's not even willing to go study. She will tease you enough so that you'll stay around and keep paying for dinner, the movies, road trips, cigs. The sooner the BE faces this reality and drops the fascination with Notre Dame the better - IMHO
07-12-2005 12:02 PM
PusherT Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse

Tigers2B1 Wrote:What I don't understand is why the BE administrations keep hanging on to the Notre Dame dream. It seems clear to everyone but them what's happening. It's like that sad situation where the pimple faced high schooler goes after the prom queen. She ain't going to marry you buddy! – hell, she's not even willing to go study. She will tease you enough so that you'll stay around and keep paying for dinner, the movies, road trips, cigs. The sooner the BE faces this reality and drops the fascination with Notre Dame the better - IMHO
It is simple

SU,Pitt don't travel never have and never will.

WVU/UL are more "southern" and travel better

Big east has SU,Pitt,WVU but all fail in comparison to Notre Dame the #2 most popular NCAA FB team in NE
07-12-2005 12:08 PM
Advertisement

Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

PusherT Wrote:
Tigers2B1 Wrote:What I don't understand is why the BE administrations keep hanging on to the Notre Dame dream.&nbsp; It seems clear to everyone but them what's happening.&nbsp; It's like that sad situation where the pimple faced high schooler goes after the prom queen.&nbsp; She ain't going to marry you buddy! – hell, she's not even willing to go study.&nbsp; She will tease you enough so that you'll stay around and keep paying for dinner, the movies, road trips, cigs.&nbsp; The sooner the BE faces this reality and drops the fascination with Notre Dame the better - IMHO
It is simple

Big east has SU,Pitt,WVU but all fail in comparison to Notre Dame the #2 most popular NCAA FB team in NE
Well let me phrase it this way ------ the BE's half-baked deal with the Gator Bowl, which limits true BE access AND at the same time 'potentially' encumbers a slot, only serves to prevent the BE from adding quality bowls that demand a sure open slot before reaching any agreement.

But hey -- it's their decision. Just seems like they continue to bend over in order to continue the on-going accommodation of Notre Dame --
07-12-2005 12:15 PM
EastStang Offline
All American

I Root For:

I suspect that means that the BE might be looking for some love from the Liberty or Sun Bowls.
07-12-2005 12:22 PM
PusherT Offline
1st String

Tigers2B1 Wrote:
PusherT Wrote:
Tigers2B1 Wrote:What I don't understand is why the BE administrations keep hanging on to the Notre Dame dream.  It seems clear to everyone but them what's happening.  It's like that sad situation where the pimple faced high schooler goes after the prom queen.  She ain't going to marry you buddy! – hell, she's not even willing to go study.  She will tease you enough so that you'll stay around and keep paying for dinner, the movies, road trips, cigs.  The sooner the BE faces this reality and drops the fascination with Notre Dame the better - IMHO
It is simple

Well let me phrase it this way ------ the BE's half-baked deal with the Gator Bowl, which limits true BE access AND at the same time 'potentially' encumbers a slot, only serves to prevent the BE from adding quality bowls that demand a sure open slot before reaching any agreement.

But hey -- it's their decision. Just seems like they continue to bend over in order to continue the on-going accommodation of Notre Dame --
Notre Dame is the #1 Athletic school in the Conference. Yes the Big east is Notre Dame's they controll alot.

Notre dame is #1 in BE in Sports they hold the most power because they are the best in the conference.

ND can call the shots because they are are the leaders of Catholic schools and the FB schools want to be them
07-12-2005 12:31 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

what it all amounts to is ... 2 games for big 12.... ND will go at least 1 time... and BE goes 1. thats a pretty bad deal for BE .... but is better than being shut out of it completely.
07-12-2005 01:02 PM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

goodknightfl Wrote:what it all amounts to is ... 2 games for big 12.... ND will go at least 1 time... and BE goes 1. thats a pretty bad deal for BE .... but is better than being shut out of it completely.
Whether giving the BE a sure spot only once every four years is 'better than nothing' is debatable. Will this 'arrangement' hurt them when they approach other bowls? If not , than it is 'better than nothing.' If so, than maybe not.
07-12-2005 01:09 PM
Advertisement

PusherT Offline
1st String

ND still has to have "1win" over the BE#2 to go, it the the VT rule.

Say the Big East #2 is 10-1 (Pitt/UL this year) and ND is is 9-2 then yes ND can go ,but if ND is 8-3 they can't. This is a rule withen the Big East.

Big East bowl lineup
BCS
Gator & Champs (Big 12/BE/ND)
Insight & Sun bowl (Big 12/BE/ND)
Mineke bowl (BE/ND)
Toronto (BE/ND)
07-12-2005 01:24 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Pusher... U can bet the 1st year in 4 when ND is available the gator will grab them.. No way they wont end up #2 at least once.. with the new conf line up... and the easing up of schedules ND has been working on. the odds that the #2 in Be will have less than 2 losses is just about nil. most years they will have 3.. thus an 7-4 this year.. or 8-4 after this year will get ND a spot.
07-12-2005 01:31 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

st932253 Wrote:Why is C-USA projected to get more bowl games than the Big East this year?

If the Big East is a BCS worthy conference, they should have at least 5 teams bowling...heck with a smaller conference schedule, I'd expect to see 7 or 8.
Because this is a transition period for some bowls. There is talk that the Insight.com Bowl and Music City Bowl will be cleared up. So the Big East might have those bowl, the Tire Bowl, whatever name it has, the BCS bowl, the Gator Bowl and other bowls that won't kick up until next year.
07-12-2005 01:40 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

Tigers2B1 Wrote:
goodknightfl Wrote:what it all amounts to is ... 2 games for big 12.... ND will go at least 1 time... and BE goes 1.&nbsp; thats a pretty bad deal for BE .... but is better than being shut out of it completely.
Whether giving the BE a sure spot only once every four years is 'better than nothing' is debatable. Will this 'arrangement' hurt them when they approach other bowls? If not , than it is 'better than nothing.' If so, than maybe not.
But it also gives the Big East access to the Champs Bowl 2 or 3 years guaranteed. And the Champs Bowl is upping its payout to match the Gator Bowl.
07-12-2005 01:42 PM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Cat's_Claw Wrote:
Tigers2B1 Wrote:
goodknightfl Wrote:what it all amounts to is ... 2 games for big 12.... ND will go at least 1 time... and BE goes 1.  thats a pretty bad deal for BE .... but is better than being shut out of it completely.
But it also gives the Big East access to the Champs Bowl 2 or 3 years guaranteed. And the Champs Bowl is upping its payout to match the Gator Bowl.
Has the Champs Bowl willingly bought into that? In other words - they hold off and see what the Gator will do each year before they can attempt secure another top quality team -- but only if all goes well for the BE / Gator? I doubt there are that many top teams sitting around waiting on the BE/Gator decisions in the hopes of securing a play with Champs - but who knows. Is this already arranged with Champs? If so, it will be interesting to see how this works out for them. But no matter, the one year in four for the BE is a big step down -
07-12-2005 01:49 PM
Advertisement

Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

goodknightfl Wrote:Pusher... U can bet the 1st year in 4 when ND is available the gator will grab them.. No way they wont end up #2 at least once.. with the new conf line up... and the easing up of schedules ND has been working on. the odds that the #2 in Be will have less than 2 losses is just about nil. most years they will have 3.. thus an 7-4 this year.. or 8-4 after this year will get ND a spot.
Right --- the words "Notre Dame if they're available" translates into 'Notre Dame once and the rest of the BE once, every four years" -
07-12-2005 01:57 PM
TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

the Big east would seldom play in any of those bowls if that set up became reality. Its really a Big 12, Notre Dame vs ACC deal.
07-12-2005 02:01 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

Tigers2B1 Wrote:Has the Champs Bowl willingly bought into that? In other words - they hold off and see what the Gator will do each year before they can attempt secure another top quality team -- but only if all goes well for the BE / Gator? I doubt there are that many top teams sitting around waiting on the BE/Gator decisions in the hopes of securing a play with Champs - but who knows. Is this already arranged with Champs? If so, it will be interesting to see how this works out for them. But no matter, the one year in four for the BE is a big step down -
The Champs Bowl originally wanted the Big East/Notre Dame package but I guess the Gator Bowl thing was happening. It's really a coup for the Champs Bowl. Suddenly they would be guaranteed getting the Big East's or Big 12's #2 or Notre Dame EVERY year. An article came out a week or so ago saying that the Gator Bowl/Champs Bowl hookup with the Big 12 and Big East would happen. Then this announcement so it looks good as far as the Champs Bowl thing happening.
07-12-2005 02:02 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

TopCoog Wrote:the Big east would seldom play in any of those bowls if that set up became reality. Its really a Big 12, Notre Dame vs ACC deal.
That's not true. If the setup is true, then Notre Dame would have to beat out the Big East's #2. Remember, Notre Dame was never guaranteed a Gator Bowl spot they had to be as good or better then the Big East's #2. The Big East #2 team the majority of the time would be in the Gator or Champs Bowl assuming the Champs Bowl thing happens, which it sounds like it will.
07-12-2005 02:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.