Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Vegas 16
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
The Vegas 16
EDIT: Deleted old info and put the newer info with direct website/twitter account.

Vegas 16 ‏@VegasSixteen · 5h5 hours ago
Inaugural Vegas 16 will be played on March 26-30 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center...16 teams all coming to Las Vegas! TV info to come soon!

twitter: https://twitter.com/vegassixteen

New tourney to be held for those that don't make the NCAA Tourney. Could be a fruitful proposition to those who don't make the tourney.
Does the NIT pay out anything?
I don't think the Vegas 16 will supplant the NIT anytime soon, but I betting it would work its way be more desirable than the NIT.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2016 09:07 AM by MWC Tex.)
02-04-2016 06:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: The Vegas 16
(02-04-2016 06:35 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/bask...tournament

http://www.kolotv.com/sports/headlines/L...73851.html

New tourney to be held for those that don't make the NCAA Tourney. Could be a fruitful proposition to those who don't make the tourney.
Does the NIT pay out anything?
I don't think the Vegas 16 will supplant the NIT anytime soon, but I betting it would work its way be more desirable than the NIT.

Is there anybody left to invite? NCAA has 68, NIT has 32, CIT and CBA have 48 between them I believe. Hardly leaves anyone left with a .500 record.
02-04-2016 06:55 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
I'd assume they'd try to steal teams from the NIT and the CBI. With the NCAAT having such a massive lead in terms of perception, the time is apparently right for Vegas to try usurping the no.2 position.
02-04-2016 07:00 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
There are still teams that don't get invites. The problem is that teams are turning down bids to anything below the NIT and in rare cases, even to the NIT.
02-04-2016 07:04 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(02-04-2016 07:04 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  There are still teams that don't get invites. The problem is that teams are turning down bids to anything below the NIT and in rare cases, even to the NIT.

The big twist to the Vegas 16 vs. the other non-NCAA tournaments is that this takes place in one place and in Las Vegas. It would be much more appealing play in that tourney than the others where you have to pay to host the visiting team.
It'll be interesting see how this plays out.
02-04-2016 07:43 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
They are not expecting large crowds for this event -- it will be held in a 2,500 seat arena on the UNLV campus.

The CIT and CBI are not attractive, especially to teams from "major" conferences, because they are both low prestige and pay-to-play. The Vegas tournament might be pay-to-play as well, but maybe they are hoping to attract teams from "major" basketball conferences who think the CIT and CBI are beneath them.
02-04-2016 07:47 PM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(02-04-2016 07:47 PM)Wedge Wrote:  They are not expecting large crowds for this event -- it will be held in a 2,500 seat arena on the UNLV campus.

The CIT and CBI are not attractive, especially to teams from "major" conferences, because they are both low prestige and pay-to-play. The Vegas tournament might be pay-to-play as well, but maybe they are hoping to attract teams from "major" basketball conferences who think the CIT and CBI are beneath them.

Looks like the upgraded the location. Now playing in the 12,000 seat Mandelay Bay Events Center. What I posted is old info.

Inaugural Vegas 16 will be played on March 26-30 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center...16 teams all coming to Las Vegas! TV info to come soon!

02-04-2016 08:00 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(02-04-2016 08:00 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(02-04-2016 07:47 PM)Wedge Wrote:  They are not expecting large crowds for this event -- it will be held in a 2,500 seat arena on the UNLV campus.

Looks like the upgraded the location. Now playing in the 12,000 seat Mandelay Bay Events Center. What I posted is old info.

MWC Tex, Sounds worse than the NIT. At least with the NIT a team gets to host a game in their arena making some $ on tv. This sounds like a weak version of those 2 bogus tournaments under the NIT. The MWC tourney in Vegas looks like a great event. This does not. Cheers!
02-04-2016 08:52 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
Quote:urrent NCAA Bylaws prohibit NCAA-sponsored events from being held in states with legalized sports gambling. However, there is a proposal from the Mountain West Conference under review now by NCAA membership to remove that provision.

So, the way I read it, this tournament can't happen unless the NCAA changes the no-gambling-states rule.
02-04-2016 09:10 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(02-04-2016 09:10 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
Quote:urrent NCAA Bylaws prohibit NCAA-sponsored events from being held in states with legalized sports gambling. However, there is a proposal from the Mountain West Conference under review now by NCAA membership to remove that provision.

So, the way I read it, this tournament can't happen unless the NCAA changes the no-gambling-states rule.

The NCAA won't let Las Vegas host the 68 team tournament but this tournament like the others is not part of the NCAA so it can happen regardless.
02-04-2016 09:16 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(02-04-2016 09:16 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

The NCAA won't let Las Vegas host the 68 team tournament but this tournament like the others is not part of the NCAA so it can happen regardless.

Aren't all of the post-season tournaments NCAA sanctioned events?
02-04-2016 09:22 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(02-04-2016 09:22 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  

I think they are NCAA sanctioned, but not under the NCAA site selection guidelines, so the locations that are no-nos for NCAA championship events are not barred for these games.
02-04-2016 09:53 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(02-04-2016 09:53 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

I think they are NCAA sanctioned, but not under the NCAA site selection guidelines, so the locations that are no-nos for NCAA championship events are not barred for these games.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3110361

From the story of the CBI it doesn't sound like they are. Only the NIT is because the NCAA took it over.
02-04-2016 10:11 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Are all the states now have some type of gambling except for some that gambling is still illegal?
02-04-2016 11:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

In that case, any self-respecting coach and athletic program needs to avoid anything below the NIT and NCAA's, which have been around for almost a century vs. some recent start up.

(02-04-2016 09:53 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

I think its like the bowl games, how they feature NCAA teams but are not necessarily controlled by the NCAA. Even the pre-season tournaments only have so much NCAA control, they regulate how many an NCAA team can play in but nothing is stopping teams from NAIA or even the Canadian college association, whatever the name is, from hosting American schools.
02-04-2016 11:57 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(02-04-2016 11:00 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Are all the states now have some type of gambling except for some that gambling is still illegal?

I don't know what you're asking but many states allow gambling but Nevada is the only one as far as I know that allows sports gaming.
02-05-2016 12:00 AM
Advertisement

Erictelevision Online
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Personally, I'd get rid of the CBI and CIT, increasing the NCAA and NIT by 50%. I'd achieve the former by giving auto bids to Regular Season conference champs.
02-05-2016 01:23 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

The NCAA's are fine, keep it a privilege to earn the right to go to the NCAA Tournament instead of inviting every team with a few good wins and/or a good record. I'd be fine with getting rid of the auto-bids to the NCAA's (keep the NIT ones) but also not inviting anyone that didn't finish above .500 in their conference.
02-05-2016 01:57 AM
Erictelevision Online
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
I agree about no sub .500 teams in Dance, I'd even extend it to nobody in bottom half of a conference.
02-05-2016 02:01 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Nobody in the bottom half of the conference? What about when the ACC had like 4 top 10 teams and 9 teams overall?
02-05-2016 02:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.