Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sunbelt university research expenditures
Bookmark and Share
UTArlingtonMaverick Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UT Arlington
Teaching and research are the missions of universities, and annual research spending is one of the most important and watched metrics. Below is the 2014 research spending by Sunbelt Universities as published by the National Science Foundation. The rankings go from 1 (Johns Hopkins) to 632. I have put the rank next to the university name. Dollars are in millions.

There is a lot of discussion about rankings and Tier 1. This does not answer that, but it can give you a pretty good sense about which universities are national research universities, which may be up-and-comers, and which are pretty much teaching-only universities. (Of course, depending on circumstances, one can get a great undergraduate education at any Sunbelt school.) Thanks to ToddRodge for pointing me to this interesting data, which is about as apples-to-apples as one can get.

New Mexico State....129...$134.3
Georgia State..........137...$123.9
Idaho.....................150.....$95.6
UT Arlington............154.....$89.2
UL Lafayette............167.....$67.6
South Alabama.........207.....$41.7
Texas State..............211.....$39.3
Georgia Southern......265.....$20.2
Arkansas State..........341......$8.1
UA Little Rock............342......$8.1
Appalachian State......408......$4.3
UL Monroe................488......$2.3
Coastal Carolina.........499......$2.2
Troy...................unranked.....$0.0

As a bonus, here are a few Conf-USA schools, since they tend to come-up in discussion.

UT El Paso.................158....$79.5
Southern Miss.............190...$51.9
UT San Antonio..........197....$47.1
UNT..........................203....$44.2
Louisiana Tech............251...$22.9
Western Kentucky.......335....$8.3
Middle Tenn ..........404....$4.3
02-02-2016 09:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
RE: Sunbelt university research expenditures
If this helps us get a late touchdown in a tight game, I'm all for it. But this has zero effect on players and games.
02-02-2016 09:38 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(02-02-2016 09:38 AM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  If this helps us get a late touchdown in a tight game, I'm all for it. But this has zero effect on players and games.

Expansion

Realignment
02-02-2016 09:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
panama Offline
Legend

(02-02-2016 09:04 AM)UTArlingtonMaverick Wrote:  Teaching and research are the missions of universities, and annual research spending is one of the most important and watched metrics. Below is the 2014 research spending by Sunbelt Universities as published by the National Science Foundation. The rankings go from 1 (Johns Hopkins) to 632. I have put the rank next to the university name. Dollars are in millions.

There is a lot of discussion about rankings and Tier 1. This does not answer that, but it can give you a pretty good sense about which universities are national research universities, which may be up-and-comers, and which are pretty much teaching-only universities. (Of course, depending on circumstances, one can get a great undergraduate education at any Sunbelt school.) Thanks to ToddRodge for pointing me to this interesting data, which is about as apples-to-apples as one can get.

New Mexico State....129...$134.3
Georgia State..........137...$123.9
Idaho.....................150.....$95.6
UT Arlington............154.....$89.2
UL Lafayette............167.....$67.6
South Alabama.........207.....$41.7
Texas State..............211.....$39.3
Georgia Southern......265.....$20.2
Arkansas State..........341......$8.1
UA Little Rock............342......$8.1
Appalachian State......408......$4.3
UL Monroe................488......$2.3
Coastal Carolina.........499......$2.2
Troy...................unranked.....$0.0

As a bonus, here are a few Conf-USA schools, since they tend to come-up in discussion.

UT El Paso.................158....$79.5
Southern Miss.............190...$51.9
UT San Antonio..........197....$47.1
UNT..........................203....$44.2
Louisiana Tech............251...$22.9
Western Kentucky.......335....$8.3
Middle Tenn ..........404....$4.3

Why choose those particular CUSA schools? Here is the top...

UAB.......................48....$428.6
FIU........................131....$132.5
ODU.......................169.....$67
Rice.......................128....$138.5
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2016 09:54 AM by panama.)
02-02-2016 09:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
Georgia Southern is about where I thought we'd be. We would have been down with App a couple years ago, but GS has vastly improved and built new research facilities and is in the process of gaining more funding and building more towards a Ga State-like research environment. Not only will it attract more students but better professors as well which will help the academic side of things greatly. All it takes is time and money.
02-02-2016 09:58 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I always felt like GS should after Savannah dollars. Nice sized city that does not really have a city university. Would be good for GS and the state.
02-02-2016 10:00 AM
Advertisement

JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
(02-02-2016 09:58 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Georgia Southern is about where I thought we'd be. We would have been down with App a couple years ago, but GS has vastly improved and built new research facilities and is in the process of gaining more funding and building more towards a Ga State-like research environment. Not only will it attract more students but better professors as well which will help the academic side of things greatly. All it takes is time and money.

We have only been a University since 1992. Our growth since then is as good in all areas as anyone's in the country. The BOR is the only thing holding us back at this point. We are offering phd's now but it is quite apparent the BOR seems to think though the state of GA population especially in the area around GS and Savannah has exploded the last three decades keeping the same amount of research schools is a solid plan. This while thousands upon thousand of folks are moving into the state because we are not graduating enough people with high level degrees to meet the demand. Hey but as long as Tech and uga are not threatened it is all good!

If you think this is hyperbole you are wrong. In my job I meet a lot of people connected to all kinds of stuff. One of which was a lady that worked for the BOR. Some folks fought the creation of Gwinnett College because it was to close to uga...I am not joking.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2016 10:12 AM by JCGSU.)
02-02-2016 10:10 AM
glsjunior74 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GSU
I think Southern could have a kickazz Marine biology dept with its close proximity to the coast and the Okefenokee.
02-02-2016 10:22 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(02-02-2016 10:00 AM)panama Wrote:  I always felt like GS should after Savannah dollars. Nice sized city that does not really have a city university. Would be good for GS and the state.

I've always said I love Statesboro to death but if we could pick up Georgia Southern's campus and drop it right in downtown Savannah, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
02-02-2016 10:24 AM
panama Offline
Legend

(02-02-2016 10:10 AM)JCGSU Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 09:58 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Georgia Southern is about where I thought we'd be. We would have been down with App a couple years ago, but GS has vastly improved and built new research facilities and is in the process of gaining more funding and building more towards a Ga State-like research environment. Not only will it attract more students but better professors as well which will help the academic side of things greatly. All it takes is time and money.

We have only been a University since 1992. Our growth since then is as good in all areas as anyone's in the country. The BOR is the only thing holding us back at this point. We are offering phd's now but it is quite apparent the BOR seems to think though the state of GA population especially in the area around GS and Savannah has exploded the last three decades keeping the same amount of research schools is a solid plan. This while thousands upon thousand of folks are moving into the state because we are not graduating enough people with high level degrees to meet the demand. Hey but as long as Tech and uga are not threatened it is all good!

If you think this is hyperbole you are wrong. In my job I meet a lot of people connected to all kinds of stuff. One of which was a lady that worked for the BOR. Some folks fought the creation of Gwinnett College because it was to close to uga...I am not joking.
All true. Its still mind boggling that there is only one public med school in this state although UGA technically has one now. We have a Health Sciences building literally accross Decatur Street from the number one trauma center hospital in the South. You can actually take all the pre med courses at GSU and and get advisement even though we dont have a pre-med program. It's frustrating to see this state get in its own way so often although at least we are not Alabama with the Bama BOT.
02-02-2016 10:26 AM
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
(02-02-2016 10:00 AM)panama Wrote:  I always felt like GS should after Savannah dollars. Nice sized city that does not really have a city university. Would be good for GS and the state.

Already have our Advanced Materials Development Center in Savannah. This was an initiative of Dr. Keel and Governor Deel that was granted a few years back.

http://www.herty.com/
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2016 10:35 AM by TheEagleWay.)
02-02-2016 10:32 AM
Advertisement

WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
What is the Sunbelt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
02-02-2016 10:37 AM
Baldy Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(02-02-2016 10:24 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  

I've always said I love Statesboro to death but if we could pick up Georgia Southern's campus and drop it right in downtown Savannah, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Again, UGA has that locked down with the UGA Marine Institute on Sapelo Island, and the Skidaway Institute of Oceanography in Savannah. As you know, we all have little boxes we have to stay in and can't dare impede on the almighty in Athens.

However, Savannah State does have a very nice Marine Biology program.
02-02-2016 10:49 AM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

It think a little closer would have been nice but I love the traditional campus setting. Plus Sav is ehhh lots of problems and bullet dodging to go along with the good stuff.
02-02-2016 10:58 AM
panama Offline
Legend

(02-02-2016 10:58 AM)JCGSU Wrote:  

It think a little closer would have been nice but I love the traditional campus setting. Plus Sav is ehhh lots of problems and bullet dodging to go along with the good stuff.

You're an hour away. Plenty close to offer some Masters and evening classes but keep your main campus. UGA has a branch of their Business School in Buckhead. Texas A&M has a campus in Houston.
02-02-2016 11:04 AM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

(02-02-2016 11:04 AM)panama Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 10:58 AM)JCGSU Wrote:  

You're an hour away. Plenty close to offer some Masters and evening classes but keep your main campus. UGA has a branch of their Business School in Buckhead. Texas A&M has a campus in Houston.

I did one semester of grad school but being after four years in the Army and being the only person left out of all my friends I tapped out and mistakenly joined the real world lol. Anyways a good chunk of folks in my grad classes were from Sav. All my grad classes were at night and we had a satellite classrooms in Brunswick and I cant remember the other. They just joined in via video conferencing from another class in those cities.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2016 11:13 AM by JCGSU.)
02-02-2016 11:12 AM
Advertisement

EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Personally, I don't really care about the academics of my conference mates.

No school that can afford DI (let alone FBS football) athletics is going to be on the brink of losing accreditation or is going to be on the brink of closing their doors if college enrollment in their state drops 10%.

At the G5 level you probably aren't too particularly concerned about any potential conference member being too good (due to admissions standards for athletes) either.
02-02-2016 01:01 PM
panama Offline
Legend

Actually it isnt about losing accreditation or a school being too good academically. The reason people care is more about being in a conference with like minded schools with a similar mission. That is the case with most P5 conference schools. Its likely one of the reasons the MAC has been together for a billion years (All large publics, 10 of 12 are USNWR Tier 1). And with the idea of a G5 TV windfall now dead, if there ever is an airport meeting or meetings, its one of those things (being with similar schools culturally and geographically) that schools will take into account.
02-02-2016 02:53 PM
trueblue21 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS and TAMU
I have said it before and Ill say it again. Once the BOR gets out of our way Southern will catch up to NMST and GSU pretty quickly. The BOR have refused to recognize us as a research institution. While in the mean time we have made huge strides in a short time period.
02-02-2016 03:30 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
(02-02-2016 03:30 PM)trueblue21 Wrote:  I have said it before and Ill say it again. Once the BOR gets out of our way Southern will catch up to NMST and GSU pretty quickly. The BOR have refused to recognize us as a research institution. While in the mean time we have made huge strides in a short time period.
Carnegie recognizes Georgia Southern as a research institute and that's what I go by when defining Tier 1 (AAU) schools (or emerging). Doctoral limited research is the first step.

As for the MAC, none are on the 62 school AAU list but they are all doctorals with varying degrees of research. So, for AAU status purposes they are all emerging research institutes with only UMass and Buffalo at highest status. Between the MAC, CUSA and SBC there are 7 schools with that designation.

USsnooze doesn't even list TXST and we have a higher ranking (research level) than a bunch of schools in that top 200.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2016 04:17 PM by CatMom.)
02-02-2016 03:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.