Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT-NHL All Star Game
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
OT-NHL All Star Game
I know most here aren't hockey fans or follow the NHL but by now I am pretty sure most have heard the story of John Scott and the treatment he got from the NHL. Too many articles to link about the background story but short story is that the NHL opened up the All Star voting to fans and in a sort of off handed comment one hockey blogger said then John Scott should be voted in.

Scott an enforcer recently for Phoenix has been in the league 8 years and has 5 goals and 6 assists during that time, but has been popular with his teammates for every team he has played on (his first pro experience came with the AHL Aeros). Long story short, the fans responded and voted him in which incensed the NHL brass and NHL President Bettman (the only guy who could make Selig look good) unleashed an effort to keep him out of the game. It went so far that a trade was engineered sending Scott to Montreal who immediately told him to report to their minor league team in Newfoundland. After all if he wasn't in the NHL then he couldn't be an All Star, right? Wrong the fans kept the pressure up and the NHL finally folded.

One reason for the turnaround was the absolutely great piece Scott wrote for the Players Tribune. In it he explained about how he wound up in the NHL as an enforcer (from an engineering degree from Mich Tech to the NHL) and how the NHL tried to shame him.

In the end Scott and his new friends enjoyed the last laugh when he scored two goals and won the MVP award as well.....after the NHL didn't even list him on the ballot during the game.

A couple of links if you wish to learn more but above all else read his Players Tribune article.

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/john-s...1756295654

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/john-sco...ar-weekend

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2016/1/31/10...rviews-mvp

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/a-guy-like-me/ 04-cheers

A final comment is that with the 3 on 3 format the NHL actually had an All Star game that was exciting and intense.
02-01-2016 10:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I Root For: Rice
RE: OT-NHL All Star Game
Quote:A final comment is that with the 3 on 3 format the NHL actually had an All Star game that was exciting and intense.

Agreed.

I also enjoyed seeing the faceoff with Scott and Kane. Both were laughing their asses off.
02-01-2016 11:21 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Yep. Amazing that the NHL may now have the second-best All-Star format. Baseball is really the only sport that reasonably accommodates an all-star format. And it's better if they use the DH. Regardless of the rule by league, the all-star game should always use the DH.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2016 11:32 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
02-01-2016 11:32 AM
Advertisement

georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
And not that it's all that important, but the uniforms for the NHL All-Star game were pretty cool -- which is unusual, as most all-star uniforms of the last decade or more (including the various "batting practice" duds that MLB markets) have been pretty dumb.
02-01-2016 12:54 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I Root For: Rice
(02-01-2016 12:54 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  And not that it's all that important, but the uniforms for the NHL All-Star game were pretty cool -- which is unusual, as most all-star uniforms of the last decade or more (including the various "batting practice" duds that MLB markets) have been pretty dumb.

[Image: CZlLZzvUUAAchnD.png]
02-01-2016 01:19 PM
Advertisement

georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(02-01-2016 01:19 PM)Antarius Wrote:  
(02-01-2016 12:54 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  And not that it's all that important, but the uniforms for the NHL All-Star game were pretty cool -- which is unusual, as most all-star uniforms of the last decade or more (including the various "batting practice" duds that MLB markets) have been pretty dumb.

[Image: CZlLZzvUUAAchnD.png]

Exactly!
02-01-2016 02:19 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
Not to be outdone, the NFL had Pro Bowl receivers playing DB positions and vice versa.

Richard Sherman ran a reverse which lost more than 20 yards. Not exactly high level football.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2016 02:21 PM by Tomball Owl.)
02-01-2016 02:19 PM
Advertisement

Owl75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Owls
New Orleans Bowl
Great story. Thanks for posting! And I thought the NFL was the no fun league!

Besides, Scott seems like our kind of guy - I loved the story of him doing engineering exams on the college bus trips to games.

I would love to see the e-mails that went back and forth between the league and his team before the "trade." Talk about collusion. Not to mention dumb and tone deaf.
02-01-2016 02:33 PM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
(02-01-2016 02:19 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  Not to be outdone, the NFL had Pro Bowl receivers playing DB positions and vice versa.

Richard Sherman ran a reverse which lost more than 20 yards. Not exactly high level football.

Some people take it seriously.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap...an-Moorman

Man, I miss Sean Taylor. Could've been special.
02-01-2016 06:20 PM
Advertisement

CrabCake Away
2nd String

I Root For: Underdogs
Yes, the John Scott story is certainly one for the ages. And with the change in format to the NHL All-Star Game (three 3-on-3 20-minute games) it truly was a memorable weekend in Nashville.
02-02-2016 11:16 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(02-02-2016 11:16 PM)CrabCake Wrote:  And with the change in format to the NHL All-Star Game (three 3-on-3 20-minute games) it truly was a memorable weekend in Nashville.

To recap:
Patrick def. Adams 4-3
Smythe def. Norris 9-6
Smythe def. Patrick 1-0

I miss those names!
02-03-2016 09:58 AM
CrabCake Away
2nd String

I Root For: Underdogs
(02-03-2016 09:58 AM)georgewebb Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 11:16 PM)CrabCake Wrote:  And with the change in format to the NHL All-Star Game (three 3-on-3 20-minute games) it truly was a memorable weekend in Nashville.

To recap:
Patrick def. Adams 4-3
Smythe def. Norris 9-6
Smythe def. Patrick 1-0

I miss those names!

+1
02-03-2016 01:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.