Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would you rather have a great 1 & done or a senior that progresses to greatness?
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

I Root For: ECU
Would you rather have a great 1 & done or a senior that progresses to greatness?
With the Oklahoma/LSU matchup tomorrow, this question came to mind. Outside of Memphis and UCONN no one can realistically get one and donee consistently but let's just say it's possible. Which would you rather have on your team?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2016 10:37 AM by PurpleReigns.)
01-29-2016 06:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
RE: Would you rather have a great 1 & done or a senior that progresses to greatness?
(01-29-2016 06:12 PM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  With the Oklahoma/LSU matchup tomorrow, this question came to mind. Outside of Memphis and UCONN no one can realistically get a one and done but let's just say it's possible. Which would you rather have on your team?

It's a good question... UC had a "one-and-done" in Lance "Born Ready" Stephenson a couple of years ago. Part of me still hates that he only stuck around one season instead of staying and improving.

Part of the issue is that many of the true "one-and-done" guys are so disruptive and so not into school that they really can't stay longer than a season. And if the stupid NBA rule prohibiting a direct move from HS to the NBA wasn't in force, most of these kids wouldn't spend a second in college.

So, while I "get it" as to why a kid is a "one-and-done" and they are exciting to watch, I personally prefer a "program" type of kid who plays 4 (or 5) years and is a Bearcat through-and-through.
01-29-2016 06:25 PM
gotigers1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers!
RE: Would you rather have a great 1 & done or a senior that progresses to greatness?
I'd rather have the seniors that develop. Call me old school I don't care.
01-29-2016 06:30 PM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(01-29-2016 06:25 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(01-29-2016 06:12 PM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  With the Oklahoma/LSU matchup tomorrow, this question came to mind. Outside of Memphis and UCONN no one can realistically get a one and done but let's just say it's possible. Which would you rather have on your team?

It's a good question... UC had a "one-and-done" in Lance "Born Ready" Stephenson a couple of years ago. Part of me still hates that he only stuck around one season instead of staying and improving.

Part of the issue is that many of the true "one-and-done" guys are so disruptive and so not into school that they really can't stay longer than a season. And if the stupid NBA rule prohibiting a direct move from HS to the NBA wasn't in force, most of these kids wouldn't spend a second in college.

So, while I "get it" as to why a kid is a "one-and-done" and they are exciting to watch, I personally prefer a "program" type of kid who plays 4 (or 5) years and is a Bearcat through-and-through.

Either they need to extend it to two years or have it where you can get drafted but if you decide to stay in school or don't get drafted you'll be in school for at least 2-3 years.

01-29-2016 07:49 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
One and done, it can put you on the map. All it takes is one trip to the Dance and one big run.
01-29-2016 07:56 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston

thats not true at all,

cincy can get one and dones, Houston has gotten 5star bball players before

smu has had 2 mcdonalds all americans the last 3 years (1 was a flop and the other had to go to china from violations but would have been a 1 and done, top 3pick if not for his HS)

and temple with dunphy likely isnt getting 1 and done caliber players, its just not his style..but temple has the brand and location that on a different "recruiting" style coach they can definitely get 1 and dones

with that said 100% of knowledgeable people will take one and dones, Coach K from duke hates one and dones and thought it ruined the sport ....but like everyone else he caved in, kyrie was his first 1 and done in 18 years, now he does them on the regular basis ...if you want to be elite you take them
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2016 08:02 PM by pesik.)
01-29-2016 08:01 PM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(01-29-2016 08:01 PM)pesik Wrote:  

thats not true at all,

smu has had 2 mcdonalds all americans the last 3 years (1 was a flop and the other had to go to china from violations but would have been a 1 and done, top 3pick if not for his HS)

and temple with dunphy likely isnt getting 1 and done caliber players, its just not his style..but temple has the brand and location that on a different "recruiting" style coach they can definitely get 1 and dones

with that said 100% of knowledgeable people will take one and dones, Coach K from duke hates one and dones and thought it ruined the sport ....but like everyone else he caved in, kyrie was his first 1 and done in 18 years, now he does them on the regular basis ...if you want to be elite you take them
Since one and dones almost exclusively sign at a program because of the coach, the only program in this conference at this time with a real shot (or perhaps best shot) to sign a legitimate one and done is SMU. Rightly or wrongly, I believe that Larry is by far the the coach with the most credibility in getting players ready.
01-29-2016 11:47 PM
Advertisement

robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(01-29-2016 11:47 PM)oldtiger Wrote:  
(01-29-2016 08:01 PM)pesik Wrote:  

thats not true at all,

Since one and dones almost exclusively sign at a program because of the coach, the only program in this conference at this time with a real shot (or perhaps best shot) to sign a legitimate one and done is SMU. Rightly or wrongly, I believe that Larry is by far the the coach with the most credibility in getting players ready.

Lance Stephenson was recruited by and played for Mick Cronin. And UConn and Memphis can definitely attract a one-and-done as well. Houston might soon join that list with Sampson's resume.
01-30-2016 12:11 AM
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: more wins
Pastner has had several 1-and-dones stay until their senior year...it's his specialty
01-30-2016 08:39 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
I would rather have a team of seniors who were all three star types that developed and played together for a few years. Those teams are usually the ones that make the runs in March. When you see a really good mid major, that is usually the situation.

Plus as a fan, you feel more invested since you have been watching them play for a few years.

UC has had some one and done players (Wingfield, D. Johnson, Stephenson) and they were all really good, but being here for a cup of coffee and moving on doesn't give the fan much time to cheer and really like the player.
01-30-2016 09:10 AM
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I'd like to see the NBA do away with their stupid rule and take kids that have no interest in going to college right out of high school. They may need to expand their D-League to make that possible, but it would really be in everyone's best interest. I would have no problems with one-and-done's after that, if say a kid wants to try college, finds out it's not for him, and goes pro after one year. But forcing kids that don't want to go to college to be there is bad for everyone.

As far as what I'd rather have at ECU... well, I enjoy following players for all 4 years that they play at ECU, so I'd prefer the senior that progresses to greatness.
01-30-2016 09:34 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
If we get a 1 and done, it is because he is so bad they pull his schollie.
01-30-2016 09:43 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
I like both.
01-30-2016 10:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

M1T4 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
Dedric Lawson better not be one and done
01-30-2016 10:34 AM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(01-30-2016 10:27 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  I like both.

Oprah has a gun pointed to your head and you have to choose one which would it be?

01-30-2016 10:43 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(01-30-2016 09:34 AM)Chappy Wrote:  I'd like to see the NBA do away with their stupid rule and take kids that have no interest in going to college right out of high school. They may need to expand their D-League to make that possible, but it would really be in everyone's best interest. I would have no problems with one-and-done's after that, if say a kid wants to try college, finds out it's not for him, and goes pro after one year. But forcing kids that don't want to go to college to be there is bad for everyone.

As far as what I'd rather have at ECU... well, I enjoy following players for all 4 years that they play at ECU, so I'd prefer the senior that progresses to greatness.

Technically, they already have the option of not playing college basketball, they just can't play in the NBA.
01-30-2016 02:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.