Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Go Broncos!!!
RiceOwl53 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice Owls
Go Broncos!!!
I'm not sure how many of y'all know but three former Owls are involved in the Broncos organization. Klein Kubiak is a scout, Corey Frazier works in the personnel department, and Jordan Taylor is on the practice squad. JT got a shoutout form The Sheriff himself on helping in his recovery.

Thought I'd throw that info out there for anyone who did not know.
01-28-2016 02:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
RE: Go Broncos!!!
I'll be pulling for them as well, would be great to see Peyton go out on top. That said, I think the Panthers will emerge as the victors.
01-28-2016 04:25 PM
75src Offline
All American

Thor wishes he still on the team and could be in the Super Bowl.
01-28-2016 04:39 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Jackie Miles is the equipment manager of the Panthers (the only one in the team's history). He and his wife Julie both worked at Rice (Jackie went to Carolina from Rice, and Julie was the ticket manager here when they met). So we have Rice connections on both sides.
01-28-2016 05:24 PM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I always root for the last original AFL team left standing. Go Broncos.
01-28-2016 05:38 PM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH
I agree with westsidewolf. I'll sob if Peyton and the Broncos don't win it, but I feel like Carolina has the better team.
01-28-2016 05:46 PM
Advertisement

Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(01-28-2016 05:24 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Jackie Miles is the equipment manager of the Panthers (the only one in the team's history). He and his wife Julie both worked at Rice (Jackie went to Carolina from Rice, and Julie was the ticket manager here when they met). So we have Rice connections on both sides.

Jackie came to Rice when Jerry Berdnt was named HC in 1984. He had been with the Philly/Balitimre USFL team for 3 years as Asst Equip Mgr. Before that held the Asst job with the Eagles. He is the reason the original Owl Wings on the helmets during Fred's second year bore a strong resemblence to the Eagles Wings on their helmets.

Jackie actually went to Boston College from Rice in 1992 and was there 2 years before joining the new Panther organization in 1994.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2016 06:20 PM by Tiki Owl.)
01-28-2016 06:19 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(01-28-2016 05:24 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Jackie Miles is the equipment manager of the Panthers (the only one in the team's history). He and his wife Julie both worked at Rice (Jackie went to Carolina from Rice, and Julie was the ticket manager here when they met). So we have Rice connections on both sides.

There's a passing mention of Rice in this Q&A with Miles: http://www.panthers.com/assets/docs/the-...sue-10.pdf

And here's a video about him and his deparment (no Rice mention): http://myfox8.com/2015/09/12/meet-jackie...t-manager/
01-28-2016 06:34 PM
Minnewaska Owl Offline
2nd String

I'll be pulling for Denver - mainly because I'd like to see Peyton win. Can't say I'm too confident though. Charlotte looks really tough. We could be looking at another Seattle-Denver type blowout.
01-28-2016 06:36 PM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(01-28-2016 06:36 PM)Minnewaska Owl Wrote:  I'll be pulling for Denver - mainly because I'd like to see Peyton win. Can't say I'm too confident though. Charlotte looks really tough. We could be looking at another Seattle-Denver type blowout.

I doubt it, as Denver's current defense is just too stout. Carolina should be favored by up to a TD, but I'd be shocked if it's a rout.
01-28-2016 06:41 PM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH
(01-28-2016 06:41 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(01-28-2016 06:36 PM)Minnewaska Owl Wrote:  I'll be pulling for Denver - mainly because I'd like to see Peyton win. Can't say I'm too confident though. Charlotte looks really tough. We could be looking at another Seattle-Denver type blowout.

I doubt it, as Denver's current defense is just too stout. Carolina should be favored by up to a TD, but I'd be shocked if it's a rout.

I hope you're right in every way. Denver does have a very good defense. They'll need it. Let's go Broncos!
01-28-2016 07:41 PM
Advertisement

T-Moar Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Houston and Arizona
(01-28-2016 05:38 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  I always root for the last original AFL team left standing. Go Broncos.

I guess Oakland and the potential LA Chargers don't count in your book?
01-28-2016 09:06 PM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

(01-28-2016 09:06 PM)T-Moar Wrote:  
(01-28-2016 05:38 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  I always root for the last original AFL team left standing. Go Broncos.

I guess Oakland and the potential LA Chargers don't count in your book?

The started as the LA Chargers, so we're good there.
01-28-2016 09:14 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl

Do you mean left standing in the playoffs?

Because the Buffalo Bills are also an original that has never changed names or moved. But they are the only two.
01-28-2016 09:19 PM
owl95 Offline
1st String

In the Super Bowl, oftentimes good defense trumps good offense and Denver's defense is very good. That said, Carolina is a very good balanced team so it could end up being a classic.
01-28-2016 09:45 PM
utahowl Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: rice
Living in Utah we are force fed Bronco games all year so I know them a little. They had no offense in the second half against New England. Except for the fact that New England only scored 6 points in three red zone tries in the fourth quarter because of the Denver defense, Denver is lucky to be in the super bowl. Yes question the hoodie one not kicking a field goal. But Cam Newton is a "slightly " better runner than Brady. Despite the Denver defense I think Carolina 38 and Denver 13. A real yawner where only the commercials matter. This will not be a classic and especially if the first snap goes over Mannings head like last time. Don't take the points unless you get 20[/align]
01-28-2016 10:41 PM
Advertisement

loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

(01-28-2016 09:19 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

Because the Buffalo Bills are also an original that has never changed names or moved. But they are the only two.

Yes, last left standing. Sometimes I'll even hold my nose and root for the Boston Patriots.
01-28-2016 10:42 PM
Minnewaska Owl Offline
2nd String

(01-28-2016 10:42 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  
(01-28-2016 09:19 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

Yes, last left standing. Sometimes I'll even hold my nose and root for the Boston Patriots.

I was too young (born in late 1959) to follow the early AFL years. I became a fan in the late 60's. Although my family members were all from Minnesota - and the Vikings were my favorite team, I always loved watching and cheering for those AFL teams that had great passing teams and exciting wide receivers (Oakland Raiders - Warren Wells, NY Jets - Don Maynard, San Diego Chargers - Lance Alworth). Growing up playing in neighborhood sandlot games and later in organized football, I always played wide receiver. Hence my fascination with those particular players. The one team I never liked was Kansas City. To me they were the Darth Vaders of the AFL - big, strong, tough, and scary. They were loaded with monstrous defensive lineman (Buck Buchanan, Curly Culp, etc.). I was just thankful the Vikings played in the other league.

Lo and behold, the Vikings have that wonderful 1969 season, and who do they end up having to play in SB IV: Kansas City. I couldn't believe we were favored by 14 points. In my mind, there was no way we were going to beat those monsters from KC. Turns out the fears of a 10 year old boy were realized - and my Vikings lost their first of four horrible Super Bowl losses.

I still have fond memories of those AFL days - but I've never been able to cheer for the Chiefs; even today, 46 years later. You know, I think that's why I've never really liked teams that wear red jerseys.
01-29-2016 04:37 PM
Minnewaska Owl Offline
2nd String

(01-28-2016 07:41 PM)Afflicted Wrote:  
(01-28-2016 06:41 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

I hope you're right in every way. Denver does have a very good defense. They'll need it. Let's go Broncos!

Denver's defense played incredibly against New England - but I'm afraid Charlotte brings a much more balanced offense. I'm also concerned about how NE shut down Denver's running game. I see Charlotte doing the same. That means Peyton is going to have to move the team with his arm. He had "just enough" to get the win versus the Patriots, at home. My gut tells me he won't be able to match points with Cam Newton, no matter how good the Denver defense is. Hope I'm wrong.
01-29-2016 04:41 PM
westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

Pretty sloppy game so far. Tons of penalties and turnovers (although the turnovers have been largely in part to great defensive play from both teams).
02-07-2016 09:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.