Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

This notion of ECU not doing enough to upgrade basketball....
40smokingcannon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: barbECUe
...is silly.

We are grateful to be in the AAC. We are grateful to be in the AAC with some of the top basketball programs in the country with a tradition of winning and producing great players. But this notion that ECU isn't doing enough to improve its basketball program is silly. Historically, ECU basketball has been, well ummm, bad. We know this. It is not a point up for debate. But an effort has been and is being made to improve our program.

ECU is a football first school. There, I said it. This is reality. This is not going to change. Football will always be the primary passion of most ECU supporters and the primary focus of our Athletic Department.

I think basketball in North Carolina is sort of unique (Indiana is similar). We have UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, NC State, Davidson, NC Charlotte.....ALL basketball first schools. These are all schools it is difficult to compete against for basketball prestige. But our inclusion in the AAC should be a catalyst to help us gain some ground. For goodness sake we have UConn, Cincinnati, Memphis, Temple, SMU, Tulsa, Houston (remember Phi Slamma Jamma), et al in this league.

We hired Jeff Lebo. A UNC product. Name recognition to even casual basketball fans in the area.
We built a basketball practice facility.
We have a very exclusive apparel deal with Adidas.
We did some modest upgrades to our arena.
We are now on an ESPN platform some. THIS IS CRAZY GOOD FOR ECU BASKETBALL!
I have seen more ECU shirts, flags, stickers, etc. in the last few years than I ever have....and I live very far from ECU. The fans are excited about the AAC and it shows. We stick our chests out with our ECU logos. It was not this way in the past.
All of these things have been done in an effort to improve the program. Results may not be there yet but to say we are not trying is foolish.

We need to make a decision on Lebo. OK
We need to improve OOC scheduling. Instead of scheduling NC AT, SC Upstate we should try to schedule Wake, ODU, George Mason, Richmond, Davidson, VCU, etc.) OK
We need a new arena.....no doubt. 20 years ago when it was renovated I don't think we could have known we would be in a league like we are in now. Shortsighted? Perhaps. Realistic at the time? Yes. We should approach Pitt County and the City of Greenville about a joint arena/convention center. We could build it beside the current arena and practice facility. We only need 10,000 seats, but we need all the amenities. I have heard this is an option being explored.

Sorry we're hurting the league RPI. I'm sorry we ruined a couple of seasons by winning some games we shouldn't have. But to constantly be belittled about our program is getting old. We are actually trying. I promise.
01-28-2016 12:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
RE: This notion of ECU not doing enough to upgrade basketball....
lol, wut? 03-lmfao
01-28-2016 12:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PiratePanther189 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU, AAC
[Image: wtf.gif]
01-28-2016 12:19 PM
airbornepirate Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU
(01-28-2016 12:13 PM)40smokingcannon Wrote:  ...is silly.

We are grateful to be in the AAC. We are grateful to be in the AAC with some of the top basketball programs in the country with a tradition of winning and producing great players. But this notion that ECU isn't doing enough to improve its basketball program is silly. Historically, ECU basketball has been, well ummm, bad. We know this. It is not a point up for debate. But an effort has been and is being made to improve our program.

ECU is a football first school. There, I said it. This is reality. This is not going to change. Football will always be the primary passion of most ECU supporters and the primary focus of our Athletic Department.

I think basketball in North Carolina is sort of unique (Indiana is similar). We have UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, NC State, Davidson, NC Charlotte.....ALL basketball first schools. These are all schools it is difficult to compete against for basketball prestige. But our inclusion in the AAC should be a catalyst to help us gain some ground. For goodness sake we have UConn, Cincinnati, Memphis, Temple, SMU, Tulsa, Houston (remember Phi Slamma Jamma), et al in this league.

We hired Jeff Lebo. A UNC product. Name recognition to even casual basketball fans in the area.
I have seen more ECU shirts, flags, stickers, etc. in the last few years than I ever have....and I live very far from ECU. The fans are excited about the AAC and it shows. We stick our chests out with our ECU logos. It was not this way in the past.
All of these things have been done in an effort to improve the program. Results may not be there yet but to say we are not trying is foolish.

We need to improve OOC scheduling. Instead of scheduling NC AT, SC Upstate we should try to schedule Wake, ODU, George Mason, Richmond, Davidson, VCU, etc.) OK
We need a new arena.....no doubt. 20 years ago when it was renovated I don't think we could have known we would be in a league like we are in now. Shortsighted? Perhaps. Realistic at the time? Yes. We should approach Pitt County and the City of Greenville about a joint arena/convention center. We could build it beside the current arena and practice facility. We only need 10,000 seats, but we need all the amenities. I have heard this is an option being explored.

Sorry we're hurting the league RPI. I'm sorry we ruined a couple of seasons by winning some games we shouldn't have. But to constantly be belittled about our program is getting old. We are actually trying. I promise.

TL:DR....but you should probably settle down. ECU has not done enough to upgrade BBALL.
01-28-2016 03:09 PM
stxrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
I'll give ECU credit for one thing: their OOC schedule was 220 this year.

Let's be clear, that's not good per se and it's far from perfect, but an actual improvement. So kudos. Make it a habit. Notice how the ECU RPI isn't in the toilet this year, even not counting the recent couple wins.

Better than UCF, Tulane, and Houston (all in the 330s).
01-28-2016 04:42 PM
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
We just need to burn it to the ground and build anew
01-28-2016 04:52 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(01-28-2016 12:13 PM)40smokingcannon Wrote:  ...is silly.

[Image: tumblr_o6q6tzoMaa1vo4c6co1_500.gif]

[Image: tumblr_mwkzjwtkr91smbf1ao1_500.gif]
10-12-2016 12:47 AM
owlfan2272 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple Owls
Is Lebo still your coach? You aren't doing enough
10-12-2016 01:26 AM
FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
(01-28-2016 12:13 PM)40smokingcannon Wrote:  We need to make a decision on Lebo. OK
We need a new arena.....no doubt.

I sympathize with your defense of our gracious mother, however, you made the argument against yourself....
10-12-2016 09:04 AM
Advertisement

GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
Old thread is old.
10-12-2016 09:39 AM
Tech Savy Offline
Banned

I Root For: JOSH PASTNER
(10-12-2016 01:26 AM)owlfan2272 Wrote:  Is Lebo still your coach? You aren't doing enough

Huh? ECU should be HONORED to have a coach with the pedigree of Jeff Lebo. I think one day (when he retires in 10-15 years), the court will be named in his honor.
10-12-2016 09:52 AM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

Step one of upgrading basketball:

Get a coach who has been to the NCAA tournament before as a coach.
D1 or D2
Sun Belt or HBCU
Just get a coach who has been to the Tourney as a coach.

I've always liked NCCU's coach.
10-12-2016 10:11 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(10-12-2016 10:11 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  Step one of upgrading basketball:

Get a coach who has been to the NCAA tournament before as a coach.
D1 or D2
Sun Belt or HBCU
Just get a coach who has been to the Tourney as a coach.

I've always liked NCCU's coach.

I think the job is a lot more attractive than some may believe. I could see a guy like Steve Masiello taking that job. He took the USF job. ECU has a solid conference slate to sell a prospective coach. You just need a guy that can recruit, coach, and effectively fill out the rest of your schedule. The conference should attract a guy with those abilities. Two words: Search firm.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2016 10:53 AM by BigEastHomer.)
10-12-2016 10:51 AM
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Recruiting hotbed - check
Major conference - check
Good facilities - check

No real reason other than bad tradition keeping us from landing a good coach
10-12-2016 11:03 AM
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats
(10-12-2016 09:39 AM)GrayBeard Wrote:  Old thread is old.

:lmfao:That weirdo BEH went looking for this thread that was last commented on back ion January. How sad. Good lord dude get a freaking hobby that does not include message boards.
10-12-2016 11:33 AM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(10-12-2016 11:33 AM)rtaylor Wrote:  
(10-12-2016 09:39 AM)GrayBeard Wrote:  Old thread is old.

:lmfao:That weirdo BEH went looking for this thread that was last commented on back ion January. How sad. Good lord dude get a freaking hobby that does not include message boards.

Honestly if he lives in ENC this may be the only thing he can do currently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
10-12-2016 01:53 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
Not everyone can be a top 25 program or even a yearly NIT program. There's room for improvement but ECU is doing just fine. The effort is there, even if the results aren't.
10-12-2016 03:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.