Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Josh Pastner disappoints me
Bookmark and Share
GoeTygers Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis
Josh Pastner disappoints me
But Im sure he disappoints Burrell more than any of us.

Burrell signed with him. He trusted him to guide him and fellow teammates to an opportunity to compete on a level that matters, all while Pastner had not yet proven he could do so.

Part of the problem is that Pastner was never a good enough player to understand the split second instincts and thus the decisions that real basketball players make over the course of a game. He projects himself and his own ability into the equation, and when something happens outside of what he can't understand, his hyper controlling nature takes over and he punishes said player.

Do y'all remember the Weird Al song and video 'White and Nerdy'? That nearly sums up the unconscious psychology of Josh Pastner. I think he wanted to be cool with the athletes, as well as feel that his father was as proud of his athletic prowess as he was the players he coached in AAU. Unable to reach a high enough level through his play, he turned to using his mind to attempt the same objective… to be accepted by his father and the athletes he was surrounded by.

The truth is Josh never fit in, and he in turn feels the need to prove to the players that his way is a way that they must deal with. He now holds a group of players that understand the game more than he does, as well as an entire basketball program hostage, getting off on the fact that someone deemed him equivalent to 2.6 Million in value per year. His inner struggle and need to control likely stems from the fact that he knows that this value is false. He convinced a group to allow him to be a part, convinced them that he would fit in, and he doesnt. He doesnt belong in basketball.

Josh Pastner has been lying to himself and to others his entire life. He's a fake. He has thrown his true life talents under the bus in order to attempt being cool. Now, he throws his players under the bus as his unconscious wrestles with this disturbing truth.

Thankfully we are almost done dealing with it.
01-27-2016 06:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
RE: Josh Pastner disappoints me
(01-27-2016 06:18 PM)GoeTygers Wrote:  But Im sure he disappoints Burrell more than any of us.

Burrell signed with him. He trusted him to guide him and fellow teammates to an opportunity to compete on a level that matters, all while Pastner had not yet proven he could do so.

Part of the problem is that Pastner was never a good enough player to understand the split second instincts and thus the decisions that real basketball players make over the course of a game. He projects himself and his own ability into the equation, and when something happens outside of what he can't understand, his hyper controlling nature takes over and he punishes said player.

Do y'all remember the Weird Al song and video 'White and Nerdy'? That nearly sums up the unconscious psychology of Josh Pastner. I think he wanted to be cool with the athletes, as well as feel that his father was as proud of his athletic prowess as he was the players he coached in AAU. Unable to reach a high enough level through his play, he turned to using his mind to attempt the same objective… to be accepted by his father and the athletes he was surrounded by.

The truth is Josh never fit in, and he in turn feels the need to prove to the players that his way is a way that they must deal with. He now holds a group of players that understand the game more than he does, as well as an entire basketball program hostage, getting off on the fact that someone deemed him equivalent to 2.6 Million in value per year. His inner struggle and need to control likely stems from the fact that he knows that this value is false. He convinced a group to allow him to be a part, convinced them that he would fit in, and he doesnt. He doesnt belong in basketball.

Josh Pastner has been lying to himself and to others his entire life. He's a fake. He has thrown his true life talents under the bus in order to attempt being cool. Now, he throws his players under the bus as his unconscious wrestles with this disturbing truth.

Spot on
01-27-2016 06:22 PM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
Wow
01-27-2016 06:34 PM
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
Thank you Dr. Goe for copying Your Psychology essay for us. Can you tell me.What grade you got for your work?
01-27-2016 07:26 PM
thewood3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: U of M
Psychology Degree from Phoenix Online, otherwise known as the Harvard of the west.
01-27-2016 07:31 PM
Smith Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
When I saw the title of this thread I thought Chenoa Douglass was the op.
01-27-2016 07:41 PM
Advertisement

tigersroll Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
the OP knows. bravo
01-27-2016 07:44 PM
midtowncowboy Offline
Heisman

(01-27-2016 06:18 PM)GoeTygers Wrote:  But Im sure he disappoints Burrell more than any of us.

If the players understand the game more than he does why do they collectively continue to demonstrate such poor game situation decisions?
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2016 08:03 PM by midtowncowboy.)
01-27-2016 07:48 PM
MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

(01-27-2016 07:48 PM)midtowncowboy Wrote:  

If the players understand the game more than he does why do they collectively continue to demonstrate such poor game situation decisions?

bingo
01-27-2016 08:31 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(01-27-2016 08:31 PM)MemphisFan95 Wrote:  

bingo

Because a group of knowledgeable individuals will be much less organized than a team led by an ignorant leader.
01-27-2016 08:43 PM
Sundanceuiuc Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: .
This seems unduly harsh towards Pastner, even if he has disappointed. The coaching ranks are littered with wonderful coaches who were limited players. And let's be clear. Most D1 walk-ons can still destroy most of the people posting. Shoot, I played against a 'recruited walk-on' of Pastner's at Arizona a while back and he drilled a court filled with quality players (note: I was, by far, the worst player on the court).

He has certainly disappointed, but my problem is not with his inherent understanding of basketball or his vision of what a team needs to do offensively (I think he is on the right track on both actually), I think he has a hard time translating what he has in his head to his team, partially because he doesn't seem to personally connect with them as he should.

This doesn't make Pastner a bad man or even a bad coach, it makes him someone who needs to learn this... probably somewhere else with a fresh start.

I'm still high on Pastner long term, I just think his successes will be somewhere else.
01-27-2016 08:53 PM
Advertisement

MTigerBlue Offline
Heisman

This thing has come full circle. The number of people, now, who are satisfied with having Josh as head coach is about the same number that were satisfied the very first time they heard it.
01-27-2016 08:55 PM
Rogar Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Arizona

bingo

I would agree with most everything you said here. I haven't posted in a long time because I am an AZ fan first and a Tiger fan second plus I do not wish to be destroyed by all of the disappointed Memphis fans that deserve a lot more than they are getting right now.

Josh was always super image conscious when he was at AZ and was always touting his recruiting prowess and taking credit for player development. Funny thing, any time a player he recruited had a less than stellar career, that player mysteriously disappeared from his "list of accomplishments" What I remember most about his assistant coaching tenure under Lute was that he was the assistant in charge of our front court players and during his time we were routinely abused under the basket and we gave up the baseline like a water main leaking. I used to throw things at the TV it was so bad.

I do not wish him any ill will but like so many of you have pointed out, he is in way over his head and that is why Memphis is no longer getting top notch talent, the word is out that he cannot coach a lick and as such, it is really hard to get good players to come here.

Memphis has been a consistent top 25 program for a long time and I have no doubt that if the AD hires a good coach, the Program will regain it's proper place among the top group again. You have great facilities, great fans, great city, what more do you need?

I am not here to troll or gloat and hope you will all see this as just an outsiders point of view, some of you have known this for a long time anyway.

Go Tigers!

cheers.
01-27-2016 08:57 PM
Sundanceuiuc Away
Hall of Famer

(01-27-2016 08:55 PM)MTigerBlue Wrote:  This thing has come full circle. The number of people, now, who are satisfied with having Josh as head coach is about the same number that were satisfied the very first time they heard it.

I just hope everyone walks away mostly in one piece. The reality is that a good hire will fix this relatively quickly and JP will move on and actually rebuild his career somewhere that fits more with what he wants to do.

I see him emerging at a mid major, maybe a west coast one, and really getting better and re-emerging somewhere else as an improved coach.

I actually really wish him well. He seems like a good guy and I'll be rooting for him. It just looks like he isn't going to be here much longer.
01-27-2016 08:58 PM
midtowncowboy Offline
Heisman

(01-27-2016 08:58 PM)Sundanceuiuc Wrote:  
(01-27-2016 08:55 PM)MTigerBlue Wrote:  This thing has come full circle. The number of people, now, who are satisfied with having Josh as head coach is about the same number that were satisfied the very first time they heard it.

I just hope everyone walks away mostly in one piece. The reality is that a good hire will fix this relatively quickly and JP will move on and actually rebuild his career somewhere that fits more with what he wants to do.

I see him emerging at a mid major, maybe a west coast one, and really getting better and re-emerging somewhere else as an improved coach.

I actually really wish him well. He seems like a good guy and I'll be rooting for him. It just looks like he isn't going to be here much longer.

Agreed. The demonizing of JP is going overboard. He is just a guy who signed a great contract to coach and it turns out he isn't that good a coach. Like most people he tends to try to blame others for the situation he created. Blame those that reacted out of fear and gave him the contract with no escape clause.
01-27-2016 09:01 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Re: RE: Josh Pastner disappoints me

[Image: c816db28d484389575ca8f1d52a52d3e.jpg]
01-27-2016 09:03 PM
Advertisement

Sundanceuiuc Away
Hall of Famer

(01-27-2016 09:01 PM)midtowncowboy Wrote:  
(01-27-2016 08:58 PM)Sundanceuiuc Wrote:  

Agreed. The demonizing of JP is going overboard. He is just a guy who signed a great contract to coach and it turns out he isn't that good a coach. Like most people he tends to try to blame others for the situation he created. Blame those that reacted out of fear and gave him the contract with no escape clause.

I think everyone is frustrated and it's snow balling.

I don't think JP wants to blame people or juggle people's minutes, but he's coaching for his job, that is pressure.

The fans want to win and are frustrated and lashing out b/c they want better for the program.

The players are inconsistent b/c the coach is struggling and the bad vibe is ot helping.

Everyone, JP included, will be happy when this is resolved, either by him winning or him leaving.

I hope everyone remembers him well and wishes him the best. I still see a bright future for both him and the program... just not together...
01-27-2016 09:08 PM
thewood3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: U of M
(01-27-2016 08:57 PM)Rogar Wrote:  

bingo

I would agree with most everything you said here. I haven't posted in a long time because I am an AZ fan first and a Tiger fan second plus I do not wish to be destroyed by all of the disappointed Memphis fans that deserve a lot more than they are getting right now.

Josh was always super image conscious when he was at AZ and was always touting his recruiting prowess and taking credit for player development. Funny thing, any time a player he recruited had a less than stellar career, that player mysteriously disappeared from his "list of accomplishments" What I remember most about his assistant coaching tenure under Lute was that he was the assistant in charge of our front court players and during his time we were routinely abused under the basket and we gave up the baseline like a water main leaking. I used to throw things at the TV it was so bad.

I do not wish him any ill will but like so many of you have pointed out, he is in way over his head and that is why Memphis is no longer getting top notch talent, the word is out that he cannot coach a lick and as such, it is really hard to get good players to come here.

Memphis has been a consistent top 25 program for a long time and I have no doubt that if the AD hires a good coach, the Program will regain it's proper place among the top group again. You have great facilities, great fans, great city, what more do you need?

I am not here to troll or gloat and hope you will all see this as just an outsiders point of view, some of you have known this for a long time anyway.

Go Tigers!

cheers.

+2. Insightful post
01-27-2016 09:20 PM
danny1 Offline
All American

Pastner fan or not - you have entirely too much time on your hands and your attempt at playing psychologist fails miserably.
01-27-2016 10:33 PM
GoeTygers Offline
Banned

(01-27-2016 10:33 PM)danny1 Wrote:  

Pastner fan or not - you have entirely too much time on your hands and your attempt at playing psychologist fails miserably.

Says the clown with over 1000 posts. and failure in your eyes is a compliment. i feel like Burrell looking down the bench.. at a clueless Pastner
01-27-2016 10:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.