Bookmark and Share
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF

Big East, Gator Bowl Renew Ties

By KEN DAVIS
Courant Staff Writer

July 15 2005

Just weeks after the Big East's agreement with the Gator Bowl appeared to be in jeopardy, the conference announced Thursday it has salvaged that relationship and formed a partnership that includes Notre Dame, the Big 12 Conference and the Sun Bowl.

The collaboration, unprecedented in Division I-A football, assures the two Bowl Championship Series conferences participation in the Toyota Gator Bowl and Vitalis Sun Bowl over a four-year period, beginning with the 2006 regular season.

After each conference's representative to the BCS has been determined, the Gator Bowl or Sun Bowl will have the first pick from the Big East's No. 2 team, Big 12's No. 3 or Notre Dame. Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese said plans for the selection rotation have not been finalized but it is likely one bowl will get the Big East in the first and third years, and the other bowl in the second and fourth.

Notre Dame, which remains a part of the Big East's bowl pool, will have the opportunity to play in each bowl once. The Atlantic Coast Conference will continue to provide the opponent in the Gator Bowl, and the Pac-10 Conference will do the same in the Sun Bowl.

"Making certain we had a good second spot in our bowl lineup was absolutely imperative," Tranghese said Thursday. "We wanted to play teams from the power conferences and with the ACC and Pac-10 obviously we've got that."

The Big East is entering the final year of its bowl agreements, which include the Gator Bowl, the Insight Bowl in Phoenix and Continental Tire Bowl in Charlotte, N.C. The Big East also has an agreement with the Motor City Bowl in Detroit if the Big Ten cannot fill its slot against the Mid-American Conference.

"We're close to making three more deals," Tranghese said. "I think we'll have it all done within the next two weeks."

Tranghese would not comment on negotiations with other bowls, but the Big East is expected to renew its agreement with the Continental Tire Bowl. In a move that would raise the conference's postseason visibility, a deal to play a Southeastern Conference team in the Liberty Bowl in Memphis, Tenn., is close to being finalized.

Possibilities for the final agreement include the Champs Sports Bowl in Orlando, Fla., the Music City Bowl in Nashville, the Motor City Bowl, and a new bowl in Toronto that is awaiting certification from the NCAA. The Big East and the Insight Bowl end an eight-year relationship after this season.

"Two years ago when the ACC took our three schools [Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston College], everybody was saying, `The league's going to go away. You're going to lose your BCS bid, you're not going to be on TV anymore and you're going to lose all your bowl games.' It was this doom and gloom scenario," Tranghese said. "I think what we've been able to do is get ourselves re-established."

This season, the Gator Bowl will be played Jan. 2 in Jacksonville, Fla., and the Sun Bowl Dec 30 in El Paso, Texas.

"Four years ago, [Gator Bowl president] Rick Catlett and I tried to make similar deals with other [conferences] and couldn't get anywhere," Tranghese said. "This year, I think Rick was getting a little push from his board [to remove the Big East], but I don't think Rick wanted us to go away."
Copyright 2005, Hartford Courant

Big East, Gator Bowl Renew Ties
07-16-2005 10:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

carolinaherd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Well if this is true, we need a new commissioner, yesterday. We, would be better off going back to 1-AA, and playing for a National Championship every year, if no shot at LB. JMO.

Carolinaherd,

04-cheers
07-16-2005 10:24 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

CyberBull Wrote:Tranghese would not comment on negotiations with other bowls, but the Big East is expected to renew its agreement with the Continental Tire Bowl. In a move that would raise the conference's postseason visibility, a deal to play a Southeastern Conference team in the Liberty Bowl in Memphis, Tenn., is close to being finalized.
BE #4 vs. SEC #9. Where can I reserve tickets for that one?

It's pretty sad when your own hometown bowl won't even give you the time of day... (See Houston, El Paso, Memphis, Dallas, Orlando....)
07-16-2005 10:26 AM
Quote this message in a reply
usmjournalism Offline
1st String

I Root For: USM

CUSA just signed a new deal with the Liberty Bowl a few months ago.....Did they (the people at the Hartford newspaper) talk to Liberty Bowl officials? No, they did not

I suggest they read archive files of the Commercial-Appeal from late April when the deal was reached.

Plus, all signs point to the Liberty Bowl becoming ACC v CUSA
07-16-2005 10:31 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

usmjournalism Wrote:CUSA just signed a new deal with the Liberty Bowl a few months ago.....Did they talk to Liberty Bowl officials? No, they did not

I suggest they read archive files of the Commercial-Appeal from late April when the deal was reached.
That's what I thought.

Just another idiot Bull fan talking about a bowl his team will never reach.
07-16-2005 10:32 AM
carolinaherd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Thank's for those last two posts gang. I mean if everything is going to fall apart, we must have been idiots to pay $ 2 million dollars to join the conference.
Wouldn't you agree?

Carolinaherd,

04-cheers
07-16-2005 10:36 AM
Advertisement

Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

The Knight Time Wrote:
usmjournalism Wrote:CUSA just signed a new deal with the Liberty Bowl a few months ago.....Did they talk to  Liberty Bowl officials? No, they did not

That's what I thought.

There have a been a few articles talking about the Big East and the Liberty Bowl so no it's not about some "idiot" South Florida fan. Also, I thought I had saw an article that said that the ACC/C-USA deal was falling apart. We'll see. I'll believe it when I see it about the Liberty Bowl. No reason to rip the poster posting an article.
07-16-2005 10:36 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Cat's_Claw Wrote:There have a been a few articles talking about the Big East and the Liberty Bowl so no it's not about some "idiot" South Florida fan.
Are you finally admitting that you're all idiots???
07-16-2005 10:38 AM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

OwlJacket Wrote:
Cat's_Claw Wrote:There have a been a few articles talking about the Big East and the Liberty Bowl so no it's not about some "idiot" South Florida fan.
Are you finally admitting that you're all idiots???

Hey, I'm not going to reduce this to childish name calling. Someone posted an article that had something to do with C-USA and the Big East. I'm just commenting on it.
07-16-2005 10:39 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Cat's_Claw Wrote:
The Knight Time Wrote:
usmjournalism Wrote:CUSA just signed a new deal with the Liberty Bowl a few months ago.....Did they talk to  Liberty Bowl officials? No, they did not

That's what I thought.

There have a been a few articles talking about the Big East and the Liberty Bowl so no it's not about some "idiot" South Florida fan. Also, I thought I had saw an article that said that the ACC/C-USA deal was falling apart. We'll see. I'll believe it when I see it about the Liberty Bowl. No reason to rip the poster posting an article.
And there's no need to respond to something you don't know anything about.

Mr. Cyber posts any article that mentions Big East on our board. He's a troll.

Move along.
07-16-2005 10:39 AM
Bronco_USA
Unregistered

I would think the C-USA would keep this bowl. Going to the Big Yeast #4 isn't very appealing for a higher payout bowl. I would think the C-USA vs. ACC is more likely.
07-16-2005 10:40 AM
Advertisement

BullsFanatic Offline
1st String

If CUSA loses the Liberty Bowl....you guys gotta fire Banakowsky
07-16-2005 10:41 AM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

The Knight Time Wrote:And there's no need to respond to something you don't know anything about.

Mr. Cyber posts any article that mentions Big East on our board. He's a troll.

Move along.
The post has something to do with C-USA as well, it's your freaking bowl! I don't know about his other posts, but this post has ramifications for C-USA and the Big East.
07-16-2005 10:41 AM
BullsFanatic Offline
1st String

Quote:but this post has ramifications for C-USA and the Big East
\
Exactly...if CUSA loses the Liberty Bowl, then where does the CUSA #1 play? They would have their pick of quite a few bowls...my guess would be the Houston.
07-16-2005 10:42 AM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

BullsFanatic Wrote:If CUSA loses the Liberty Bowl....you guys gotta fire Banakowsky
I agree. There is no reason on earth for C-USA to lose that bowl with Memphis in the conference. That's why I have a hard time believing a Big East-SEC matchup in the Liberty Bowl. Maybe on a rotating basis with teams facing the C-USA champion, but not freezing out the C-USA champion with Memphis still in the conference.
07-16-2005 10:43 AM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

Have fans in Memphis heard anything about this!?
07-16-2005 10:45 AM
Advertisement

usmjournalism Offline
1st String

I Root For: USM

when a new contract has just been signed between CUSA and the Liberty Bowl, I'd say the chances that CUSA is staying in the bowl are good.
07-16-2005 10:47 AM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Banowsky doesn't have a Notre Dame. I have a lot of confidence in Banowsky. He did pretty good with ESPN/CSTV contract.
07-16-2005 10:48 AM
BullsFanatic Offline
1st String

Quote:when a new contract has just been signed between CUSA and the Liberty Bowl, I'd say the chances that CUSA is staying in the bowl are good.
What new contract? I remember there being a "contract" for a 1 million dollar payout for the CUSA basketball tournament...but it was never signed. Do you have an article talking about the contract?
07-16-2005 10:49 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

I think the author of the article just got the music city bowl and Liberty bowl mixed up...an SEC/BE matchup in Nashville would confirm a lot of rumors we have been hearing on our end...I don't think CUSA fans have anything to worry about

Jackson
07-16-2005 10:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.