Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Football - could it be?
Bookmark and Share
Dukester Offline

I Root For: JMU
Football - could it be?
Houston moves to JMU for a minimal (relatively speaking) increase.

Withers hired grad assistants from various 1A programs with minimal to no experience. I think only two of his assistants made over 40k.

Now we have the UR DC move to JMU. You'd think at the very least it had to be a lateral move pay wise. I don't see any way he won't make way more than the than our prior DC.

Now we hire a VA Tech coach who was probably making similar to what our head coach was making. (He might not even be OC)

We obviously are paying the VA Union head coach a decent amount.

Could it be - we're setting up a coaching staff for 1A football? Perhaps Houston has been promised an increase if/when we move to 1A.

There's additional resources being spent on football. What's the sudden cause for this?

Is 1A closer than many think? 03-idea

Something is going on around here - and I think I like it.

02-13-banana
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2016 08:51 PM by Dukester.)
01-26-2016 08:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
Football - could it be?
I've read too far into FBS clues for years.

I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp.
01-26-2016 08:09 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
Football - could it be?
Do we have a FOI request yet for Houston ' s contract details?
01-26-2016 08:12 PM
formerjmusprinter84 Offline
1st String

RE: Football - could it be?
(01-26-2016 08:05 PM)Dukester Wrote:  Houston moves to JMU for a minimal (relatively speaking) increase.

Withers hired grad assistants from various 1A programs with minimal to no experience. I think only two of his assistants made over 40k.

Now we have the UR DC move to JMU. You'd think at the very least it had to be a lateral move pay wise. I don't see any way he won't make way more than the than our prior DC.

Now we hire a VA Tech coach who was probably making similar to what our head coach was making. (Me might not even be OC)

We obviously are paying the VA Union head coach a decent amount.

Could it be - we're setting up a coaching staff for 1A football? Perhaps Houston has been promised an increase if/when we move to 1A.

There's additional resources being spent on football. What's the sudden cause for this?

Is 1A closer than many think? 03-idea

Something is going on around here - and I think I like it.

02-13-banana

Was just thinking the same thing when I saw Thweatt mentioned and then I saw your post. Hiring coaches with a good deal of experience who have all probably been making really decent $ at VA Tech, Richmond and VA State ( I would think a Division II head coach makes $100,000-$150,000?)
01-26-2016 08:18 PM
Middle-aged-Duke Offline
Bench Warmer

Didn't know we had the VA Union head coach on staff. Who is he/from the former staff?

You would think Trott and Stinespring will be with JMU long term. If they do well it will raise the program consistently and indefinitely, which would be nice for a change.

Maybe JMU sees the stars aligning for FBS in the astronomy lab.
01-26-2016 08:26 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

Stinespring made 337k last year. Thweatt made 125k as HC at VSU.
01-26-2016 08:27 PM
Advertisement

DiceRogerLion Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Dukes
More than 2 of EW's guys made over 40k but this pool of assistants will definitely be compensated higher than the last. Don't think it has any indication on FBS.
01-26-2016 08:35 PM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

Look at the stadium and tell me its an FCS stadium. Look at the staff and tell me its an FCS staff. Watch Gameday and tell me this program is FCS.

The admin tells us ALL THE TIME.

Sometimes there is nothing to read into. I have been guilty of seeing these things as a sign of things to come, but in reality our admin is content in spending mega bucks for a football program.

On a side note, with as much that is being invested in this program, it should be championship or bust.... every damn year.
01-26-2016 08:35 PM
jmu-fan-1981 Offline
1st String

Football - could it be?
This staff rivals all G5 FBS programs and id argue this has the looks of a P5 coaching staff. Call me crazy!
01-26-2016 08:37 PM
Dukester Offline

(01-26-2016 08:09 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  I've read too far into FBS clues for years.

You may have - but as many know, I have not.

Could it not be 5 years? Could it not be years, but months?

I will not be surprised.

Understand your pessimism.

I see something happening that's different, and I like it.

There's some real factual reasons for optimism right now, and my thoughts are not just having a improved 1AA program.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2016 09:00 PM by Dukester.)
01-26-2016 08:49 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

Just for comparative purposes, even though Withers doubled his salary (from JMU) at Tex St., the OC and DC there during the 2015 season made around 130k each. I have no info on what EW is paying his top assistants for this year. Based on his tenure here though, he's probably paying on the cheap side. The Sunbelt has made some strides in coaching salaries, but seems like just for the top guy.
01-26-2016 08:55 PM
Advertisement

jmufbs Offline
Special Teams

Football - could it be?
(01-26-2016 08:49 PM)Dukester Wrote:  
(01-26-2016 08:09 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  I've read too far into FBS clues for years.

You may have - but as many know, I have not.

Could it not be 5 years? Could it not be years, but months?

I will not be surprised.

Understand your pessimism.

I see something happening that's different, and I like it.

There's some real factual reasons for optimism right now, and my thoughts are not just having a improved 1AA program.

Got to admit -this looks a lot like a CUSA staff or better .
01-26-2016 09:16 PM
2Buck Offline
All American

(01-26-2016 08:37 PM)jmu-fan-1981 Wrote:  This staff rivals all G5 FBS programs and id argue this has the looks of a P5 coaching staff. Call me crazy!

You are crazy. I'm optimistic this all works out but coaches 2 years or less removed from D-II and some taking lateral or steps down aren't close to P5. I think Withers with his Ohio State and FBS connections was able to pull in young up and comers on the fast track to P5 (such as Mehringer, Elliot, Streicher, etc) but we'll have to see what this staff produces before such judgement don't you think?

Between this thread and the one about Brady having the potential to move up I think there's some purple nitrous oxide floating around somewhere.
01-26-2016 09:21 PM
jmutoml757 Offline
All American

I Root For: jmu
Football - could it be?
Dukester is a person after my own heart with this take, but I am not buying into any of that for a minute.
01-26-2016 09:25 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

Like that the admin seems to be moving more aggressively on putting good assistants in place. Doesn't seem to be any outside smoke/rumors yet regarding conference shifts or expansion.

Would be great if we do have something pending in CUSA/MAC but still skeptical on just one data point. With the stadium/fan base size we can afford a bit more on staff compared to most FCS teams, and more wins typically means more tickets sold. Maybe the admin noticed how quick seats sold out when the team was undefeated and gameday showed up.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2016 10:28 PM by JMURocks.)
01-26-2016 10:27 PM
CISDuke2014 Offline
1st String

(01-26-2016 08:12 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Do we have a FOI request yet for Houston ' s contract details?

To my knowledge a contract will be a few weeks according to JB at the press conference. He also said he'll "gladly" share it maybe a FOI request won't be needed this time. He has to know one is coming so just release it from the start.
01-27-2016 12:18 AM
Advertisement

jmufan2008 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes
Yeah...I'm in the camp of I've gotten my hopes too high too many times before. Don't get me wrong, the admin hiring Houston and then giving him the reigns and money to go out and get this staff is amazing...but I'm not sure it's any sort of sign we're moving up in the near future.

Please. Please. Please let me be wrong.
01-27-2016 12:25 AM
Hotrod829 Offline
All American

(01-26-2016 09:21 PM)2Buck Wrote:  
(01-26-2016 08:37 PM)jmu-fan-1981 Wrote:  This staff rivals all G5 FBS programs and id argue this has the looks of a P5 coaching staff. Call me crazy!

You are crazy. I'm optimistic this all works out but coaches 2 years or less removed from D-II and some taking lateral or steps down aren't close to P5. I think Withers with his Ohio State and FBS connections was able to pull in young up and comers on the fast track to P5 (such as Mehringer, Elliot, Streicher, etc) but we'll have to see what this staff produces before such judgement don't you think?

Between this thread and the one about Brady having the potential to move up I think there's some purple nitrous oxide floating around somewhere.

I agree, Elliot and Mehringer were former Qb's from spread systems in college who became grad assistants and learned how to coach the spread system. These last two hires seems to be more about JMU and recruiting than Houston having a connection. I'll wait and see spring ball and fall camp.
01-27-2016 12:52 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-27-2016 12:52 AM)Hotrod829 Wrote:  
(01-26-2016 09:21 PM)2Buck Wrote:  

I agree, Elliot and Mehringer were former Qb's from spread systems in college who became grad assistants and learned how to coach the spread system. These last two hires seems to be more about JMU and recruiting than Houston having a connection. I'll wait and see spring ball and fall camp.

The pattern was young GA types who studied under the OSU/Meyer coaching tree and were indoctrinated in that system. Seemed to work out pretty well on the offensive side, but they quickly became hot commodities in FBS.
01-27-2016 01:02 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

Delaware has new AD and apparently UD is evaluating a move to FBS. Wonder if we still might go with them to MAC or CUSA as a pair ... Hmmm.

If we aren't discussing this with them, we should be.

Article below talks about new AD and UD evaluating move to FBS:
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/spor.../79063304/
01-27-2016 10:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.