Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Realignment's best 64 team scenario is 32 teams under the B1G & SEC brand
Bookmark and Share
Win5002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big 12 & B1G
If you try to get the existing 64 into the B1G, SEC, PAC 12 & one of the Big 12 or ACC it never works. Either the PAC 12 is not strong enough or you are left with an ACC that is not strong enough in football. The 4th league is always substantially lower than the other 3.

The best competitive set up I believe brand wise and competition wise would be for there to be two 32-36 team conferences the B1G & the SEC. Then those two leagues could sell their packages nationwide whether it is cable subscriber or content based. It would also be up to the those two entities to do their final divisional setups.

Without getting into each leagues divisional setups at this time.
Think of this:
B1G+ PAC 12 + ND, NC, Va., Duke Ga. Tech, Va. Tech.

SEC+ Texas, OU, OSU, T.T,KU, KSU, ISU, WVU, FSU, Clemson, N.C. St., Miami, Baylor, TCU, Pit, Louisville, Syr., B.C.

If that would happen their would be enough brands on both sides to make it work. I think this is a more evenly distributed content and branding than trying to keep 4 of the 5 leagues today. The B1G would even like the academic associations to make I work, and they pick up some of the recruiting areas they need as well.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2016 05:39 PM by Win5002.)
01-25-2016 04:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Realignment's best 64 team scenario is 32 teams under the B1G & SEC brand
(01-25-2016 04:34 PM)Win5002 Wrote:  If you try to get the existing 64 into the B1G, SEC, PAC 12 & one of the Big 12 or ACC it never works. Either the PAC 12 is not strong enough or you are left with an ACC that is not strong enough in football. The 4th league is always substantially lower than the other 3.

The best competitive set up I believe brand wise and competition wise would be for there to be two 32-36 team conferences the B1G & the SEC. Then those two leagues could sell their packages nationwide whether it is cable subscriber or content based. It would also be up to the those two entities to do their final divisional setups.

Think of this:

SEC+ Texas, OU, OSU, T.T,KU, KSU, ISU, WVU, Va. Tech, FSU, Clemson, N.C. St., Miami, Baylor, TCU, Pit, Louisville, Syr., B.C.

If that would happen their would be enough brands on both sides to make it work. I think this is a more evenly distributed content and branding than trying to keep 4 of the 5 leagues today. The B1G would even like the academic associations to make I work, and they pick up some of the recruiting areas they need as well.

Virginia Tech is going to get worn out playing in both.
01-25-2016 05:37 PM
Win5002 Offline
Special Teams

(01-25-2016 05:37 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(01-25-2016 04:34 PM)Win5002 Wrote:  If you try to get the existing 64 into the B1G, SEC, PAC 12 & one of the Big 12 or ACC it never works. Either the PAC 12 is not strong enough or you are left with an ACC that is not strong enough in football. The 4th league is always substantially lower than the other 3.

Think of this:

SEC+ Texas, OU, OSU, T.T,KU, KSU, ISU, WVU, Va. Tech, FSU, Clemson, N.C. St., Miami, Baylor, TCU, Pit, Louisville, Syr., B.C.

Virginia Tech is going to get worn out playing in both.

originally I had KU & Va. Tech flipped but then I realized it made better sense with Va. Tech to go with the coastal schools to the B1G and forgot to erase them from the SEC side.
01-25-2016 05:41 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB

Think of this:

SEC+ Texas, OU, OSU, T.T,KU, KSU, ISU, WVU, FSU, Clemson, N.C. St., Miami, Baylor, TCU, Pit, Louisville, Syr., B.C.

Who of the current P5 are you leaving out?
01-25-2016 10:47 PM
Win5002 Offline
Special Teams

(01-25-2016 10:47 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  

Think of this:

Wake Forest, but I wouldn't mind if the actual number was 72 instead of 64.
01-26-2016 03:47 AM
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(01-26-2016 03:47 AM)Win5002 Wrote:  
(01-25-2016 10:47 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  

Think of this:

Wake Forest, but I wouldn't mind if the actual number was 72 instead of 64.
Assuming that you stick to 64:
The obvious ones are Wake, WSU, and NW, but they're attached to strong big brothers (UNC, Duke, and NCSU, UW, and the historic Big Ten). When I made a similar list, I left Rutgers out because they lack the political/historic attachments of the others.

If you go to 72:
Who would you add?
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2016 11:54 AM by nzmorange.)
01-26-2016 11:54 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
For 72, I would add Connecticut, Temple, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, either USF or UCF, and either Tulane or BYU.

I think a 4th power Florida school wouldn't hurt.

BYU has national branding and solid football and basketball. Tulane has POTENTIAL plus New Orleans and academics.

I think I would go with South Florida and Tulane for my final two spots.
01-26-2016 02:36 PM
Win5002 Offline
Special Teams

At 72, BYU has to be in, UCONN, Cincy, UCF, Boise St., New Mexico, Houston, Memphis, Nevada.
01-26-2016 02:54 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

AT 72

Big 10 or Union - Pacific:

East Region:
Connecticut, Boston College, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse
Indiana, Cincinnati, Maryland, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue
Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin

West Region:
Colorado, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Nebraska
California, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, Washington, Washington State
Arizona, Arizona State, Brigham Young, Cal Los Angeles, Southern Cal, Utah

SEC or Great South:
East Region:
Duke, North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest
Kentucky, Louisville, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, West Virginia
Auburn, Clemson, East Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech

West Region:
Alabama, Florida State, Louisiana St., Miami, Mississippi, Mississippi St.
Baylor, Houston, Rice, Texas, Texas A&M, T.C.U. Texas Tech
Arkansas, Colorado State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Missouri, T.C.U.

AT 64

Big 10 or Union - Pacific:

East Region:
Boston College, Maryland, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse
Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin

West Region:
Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Kansas State, Nebraska, Utah, Washington, Washington State
Arizona, Arizona State, California, Cal Los Angeles, Oregon, Oregon State, Southern Cal, Stanford.

SEC or Great South:

East Region:
Duke, Kentucky, Louisville, North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, West Virginia
Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Miami, South Carolina

West Region:
Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Miss State, Tenneesee, Vanderbilt, Texas A&M
Baylor, Iowa State, Missouri, Texas, T.C.U., Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2016 03:17 PM by JRsec.)
01-26-2016 03:03 PM
Advertisement

YNot Online
All American

I Root For: BYU
I could see the B1G absorbing the entire PAC 12 and going for Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas (and Missouri!) and the UNC-Duke-UVA division to the south. THAT could help the B1G land Notre Dame.

Turn the PACN into a BTN-WEST and have some decent balance across several divisions.

However, the SEC would obviously enter the fray to try to get Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas (and keep Missouri) and to secure the UNC-UVA contingency.

The SEC could also create SEC East and West networks.

IMO, a workable compromise would see the B1G still absorbing the PAC and grabbing the UNC-UVA division. The SEC, however, would land Texas-Oklahoma-Kansas and add Virginia Tech and perhaps NC State. Something like this:

SEC SOUTH: Alabama, Tennessee, Ole Miss, MSU, LSU, Arkansas
SEC EAST: Florida, Georgia, Auburn, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Kentucky
SEC WEST: Texas A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, *Tech/TCU/Louisville
SEC ATLANTIC: Florida St., Clemson, NC State, Virginia Tech, *Louisville/WVU/BC

24 mostly public flag-ship schools focused on southern markets from Texas to Florida to Virginia. Two or three schools in each of Texas and Florida.

B1G EAST: Ohio St., Michigan, Michigan St., Penn St., Indiana, Purdue
B1G WEST: Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Northwestern, Illinois
B1G SOUTH: Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia, UNC, Duke, *Georgia Tech/Wake/BC
B1G ATLANTIC: Notre Dame, Pitt, Syracuse, Miami, *Georgia Tech/Wake/BC
B1G MOUNTAIN: USC, UCLA, Arizona, ASU, Utah, Colorado
B1G PACIFIC: Stanford, Cal, Oregon, OSU, Washington, WSU

36 schools focused on Midwest, Atlantic, and Pacific markets. Mostly public flagships, but some significant private schools. Four schools in California and one in Florida; none in Texas; only overlap with the SEC on Atlantic Coast.

I don't see Iowa St., Kansas St., Oklahoma St., TCU, TTech, and Baylor ALL surviving the realignment. The leftovers likely join with the AAC, BYU, some MWC, and a couple other schools to create another national conference - albeit a step behind the Big 2. Best guess:

AAC NORTH: UConn, Temple, Cincinnati, Wake Forest, ECU, Navy
AAC EAST: USF, UCF, Tulane, Memphis, Houston, SMU
AAC SOUTH: Oklahoma St., Kansas St., Iowa St., Baylor, TCU, WVU
AAC WEST: BYU, Boise St., San Diego St., Air Force, Tulsa, *Colorado St./New Mexico
01-26-2016 05:18 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(01-26-2016 05:18 PM)YNot Wrote:  I could see the B1G absorbing the entire PAC 12 and going for Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas (and Missouri!) and the UNC-Duke-UVA division to the south. THAT could help the B1G land Notre Dame.

Turn the PACN into a BTN-WEST and have some decent balance across several divisions.

However, the SEC would obviously enter the fray to try to get Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas (and keep Missouri) and to secure the UNC-UVA contingency.

The SEC could also create SEC East and West networks.

IMO, a workable compromise would see the B1G still absorbing the PAC and grabbing the UNC-UVA division. The SEC, however, would land Texas-Oklahoma-Kansas and add Virginia Tech and perhaps NC State. Something like this:

24 mostly public flag-ship schools focused on southern markets from Texas to Florida to Virginia. Two or three schools in each of Texas and Florida.

36 schools focused on Midwest, Atlantic, and Pacific markets. Mostly public flagships, but some significant private schools. Four schools in California and one in Florida; none in Texas; only overlap with the SEC on Atlantic Coast.

I don't see Iowa St., Kansas St., Oklahoma St., TCU, TTech, and Baylor ALL surviving the realignment. The leftovers likely join with the AAC, BYU, some MWC, and a couple other schools to create another national conference - albeit a step behind the Big 2. Best guess:

AAC NORTH: UConn, Temple, Cincinnati, Wake Forest, ECU, Navy
AAC EAST: USF, UCF, Tulane, Memphis, Houston, SMU
AAC SOUTH: Oklahoma St., Kansas St., Iowa St., Baylor, TCU, WVU
AAC WEST: BYU, Boise St., San Diego St., Air Force, Tulsa, *Colorado St./New Mexico

My advice is to quit laboring under the delusion that the Big 10 gets what it wants. As we move to a streaming model their lineup becomes much less compelling. The SEC will likely maintain its economic advantage, and there is already discussion about forming a Southern consortium of AAU schools. If we move to two conferences of 32 or 36 then look for the Southern academics to stick together.
01-26-2016 05:59 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(01-26-2016 05:59 PM)JRsec Wrote:  My advice is to quit laboring under the delusion that the Big 10 gets what it wants. As we move to a streaming model their lineup becomes much less compelling. The SEC will likely maintain its economic advantage, and there is already discussion about forming a Southern consortium of AAU schools. If we move to two conferences of 32 or 36 then look for the Southern academics to stick together.

How do you feel about this arrangement JR,

SEC adds OU and FSU to the west and moves Auburn to the east.

E: FL, UGA, USCe, Aub, Tenn, Vandy, UK, Mizzou
W: FSU, Ala, MSU, Ole Miss, LSU, A&M, Ark, OU

Would have to add two cross division opponents so Alabama could still play Auburn and Tenner every year. Could shuffle the divisions every 2 years too.
01-26-2016 08:38 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
A P2 of 64 looks good.

SEC
North- NC, Duke, Virginia, VT, GT, FSU, Miami, Clemson

East- Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Louisville, NC State

South- Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Missouri, Kansas

West- Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Oklahoma State, TCU, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Iowa State

B1G
East- Notre Dame, Penn St, Pittsburgh, Maryland, Rutgers, WV, Syracuse, BC

North- Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Iowa

Central- Wisconsin, Nebraska, Minnesota, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Arizona State, BYU

West- UCLA, USC, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State
01-26-2016 09:48 PM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(01-26-2016 05:59 PM)JRsec Wrote:  My advice is to quit laboring under the delusion that the Big 10 gets what it wants. As we move to a streaming model their lineup becomes much less compelling. The SEC will likely maintain its economic advantage, and there is already discussion about forming a Southern consortium of AAU schools. If we move to two conferences of 32 or 36 then look for the Southern academics to stick together.

How about combine the SEC and ACC along with a few key Big 12 properties and then take other products to add markets and academics...

Take along Colorado State, Rice, Tulane, and hopefully add Notre Dame the mix.

This is 4 divisions of 10 each...

West: Colorado State, Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Rice, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Iowa State, Missouri

------------------------------------------------------------------------

South: Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Arkansas, LSU, Tulane, Texas A&M

East: Kentucky, Louisville, West Virginia, South Carolina, Clemson, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Florida, Florida State, Miami

North: North Carolina, North Carolina State, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Boston College
01-26-2016 10:51 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(01-26-2016 08:38 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  

How do you feel about this arrangement JR,

SEC adds OU and FSU to the west and moves Auburn to the east.

E: FL, UGA, USCe, Aub, Tenn, Vandy, UK, Mizzou
W: FSU, Ala, MSU, Ole Miss, LSU, A&M, Ark, OU

Would have to add two cross division opponents so Alabama could still play Auburn and Tenner every year. Could shuffle the divisions every 2 years too.

I'd be fine with that. The question is why keep Missouri trapped in the East? With FSU and OU in the West just move Alabama to the East as well and move Mizzou over to the West.

Since Kentucky and Vanderbilt are in the East and are arguably the weakest year over year that helps to balance things out a bit.
01-26-2016 11:06 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(01-26-2016 10:51 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

How about combine the SEC and ACC along with a few key Big 12 properties and then take other products to add markets and academics...

West: Colorado State, Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Rice, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Iowa State, Missouri

South: Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Arkansas, LSU, Tulane, Texas A&M

East: Kentucky, Louisville, West Virginia, South Carolina, Clemson, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Florida, Florida State, Miami

North: North Carolina, North Carolina State, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Boston College

I could see working Rice, Tulane and Wake Forest in as all in with every sport but football and then giving them each 5 conference games for football to help their revenue. But as far as being a main football product I don't think so.

I agree that Notre Dame would be a wild card. They might want to stay closer to home in the Big 10 or might prefer the lacrosse of the Carolina's and Virginia's and the Southern football exposure. It would be interesting to see what they might choose.
01-26-2016 11:08 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(01-26-2016 11:08 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

I could see working Rice, Tulane and Wake Forest in as all in with every sport but football and then giving them each 5 conference games for football to help their revenue. But as far as being a main football product I don't think so.

I agree that Notre Dame would be a wild card. They might want to stay closer to home in the Big 10 or might prefer the lacrosse of the Carolina's and Virginia's and the Southern football exposure. It would be interesting to see what they might choose.

I threw Wake in for simplicity's sake. I imagine the NC schools would rather not leave anyone behind and they could be of help to a Southern academic consortium. I could see them being grandfathered in if there was some sort of merger.

For Tulane and Rice, I thought why not add the other DI AAUs available especially if we're doing the Southern academic initiative. Growing towards 30 or 40, I don't see any other schools that would add value monetarily or athletically so I figured why not. A few extra cupcakes might help some programs retain their brand power being that if we went with something like this then we would probably be playing 12 league games.

Then again, you could just keep TCU, Kansas State, and maybe throw in BYU to replace those 3 in football.
01-26-2016 11:45 PM
Advertisement

YNot Online
All American

I Root For: BYU
(01-26-2016 05:59 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(01-26-2016 05:18 PM)YNot Wrote:  ...

My advice is to quit laboring under the delusion that the Big 10 gets what it wants. As we move to a streaming model their lineup becomes much less compelling. The SEC will likely maintain its economic advantage, and there is already discussion about forming a Southern consortium of AAU schools. If we move to two conferences of 32 or 36 then look for the Southern academics to stick together.

Notre Dame could be the linchpin.

If the SEC basically absorbs the ACC, that could draw Notre Dame along. However, I believe that Notre Dame will lean B1G-PAC if it can convince enough ACC schools to follow. Stanford and USC are ANNUAL games for the Irish.

At that point, I think the UNC-Duke-UVA-GT leadership leans toward Notre Dame and the B1G-PAC AAU contingency, and men's basketball.

Also, I don't know that the 24-school SEC with Texas, Oklahoma, Florida St., and Clemson wouldn't still have the strongest football, despite having 12 fewer teams. Those extra 12 teams that would be part of the B1G would include a lot of football fluff: Washington St., Oregon St., Rutgers, Syracuse, BC, etc. Seems like the 24-school SEC would have much higher pro rata value.

But, if you do an about-face and the SEC lands the UNC-Duke-UVA-GT contingency and Notre Dame, here is what you might have:

SEC WEST: Texas A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, *Tech/TCU
SEC ATLANTIC: Florida St., Clemson, NC State, Virginia Tech, *Louisville/WVU
SEC COASTAL: Notre Dame, Virginia, UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami

30 mostly flag-ship schools dominating the southern markets from Texas to Florida to Virginia. Three schools in each of Texas and Florida and owning the Texas, Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia markets.

B1G SOUTH: Rutgers, Maryland, Syracuse, Pitt, *Wake/BC/UConn

30 schools focused on Midwest, Mid-Atlantic, and Pacific markets. Still mostly AAU flagships. Four schools in California and none in Florida or Texas; little to no overlap with the SEC.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2016 11:56 AM by YNot.)
01-27-2016 11:55 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(01-27-2016 11:55 AM)YNot Wrote:  Notre Dame could be the linchpin.

If the SEC basically absorbs the ACC, that could draw Notre Dame along. However, I believe that Notre Dame will lean B1G-PAC if it can convince enough ACC schools to follow. Stanford and USC are ANNUAL games for the Irish.

At that point, I think the UNC-Duke-UVA-GT leadership leans toward Notre Dame and the B1G-PAC AAU contingency, and men's basketball.

Also, I don't know that the 24-school SEC with Texas, Oklahoma, Florida St., and Clemson wouldn't still have the strongest football, despite having 12 fewer teams. Those extra 12 teams that would be part of the B1G would include a lot of football fluff: Washington St., Oregon St., Rutgers, Syracuse, BC, etc. Seems like the 24-school SEC would have much higher pro rata value.

But, if you do an about-face and the SEC lands the UNC-Duke-UVA-GT contingency and Notre Dame, here is what you might have:

SEC WEST: Texas A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, *Tech/TCU
SEC ATLANTIC: Florida St., Clemson, NC State, Virginia Tech, *Louisville/WVU
SEC COASTAL: Notre Dame, Virginia, UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami

30 mostly flag-ship schools dominating the southern markets from Texas to Florida to Virginia. Three schools in each of Texas and Florida and owning the Texas, Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia markets.

B1G SOUTH: Rutgers, Maryland, Syracuse, Pitt, *Wake/BC/UConn

30 schools focused on Midwest, Mid-Atlantic, and Pacific markets. Still mostly AAU flagships. Four schools in California and none in Florida or Texas; little to no overlap with the SEC.

My favorite alignment for a mega conference is essentially merging with the ACC powers and maybe taking a few Big 12 schools if we are open to going past 24.

32 team SEC:

West: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Iowa State, Missouri, Arkansas

Central: Texas A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, Georgia Tech

South: Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Louisville, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Clemson

East: North Carolina, North Carolina State, Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, and Notre Dame if they are interested or Miami if they are not.

Play 7 division games, a permanent rival from one of the other divisions, 3 rotating match-ups with 1 each from the other divisions. Use the 12th game as a non-conference game.
01-27-2016 12:55 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(01-26-2016 11:08 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

IF ND were forced at gunpoint to choose to join a football conference against its will and against what it considers its best interests, my bet is that it would reject again the Big Ten and choose the latter.
01-27-2016 03:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.