Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Yes vote here for Bruce Pearl
Bookmark and Share
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
Yes vote here for Bruce Pearl
I was a sunshine pumper. Yeah, I can admit that now. For a period of the Josh Pastner experience...Memphis had been making strides.
His first year we didn't make the NCAA, but we did in year 2. Year 2 we didn't win CUSA's regular season title...but we did in year 3. (won tourney too).
Then Paz finally won a top 25 game which he had never done before.
We seem to have peaked since we beat Louisville twice in one season...because we have gotten progressively worse and worse ever since.
Yes we had a lot of injuries last year, but the bottom line is still winning.
We have a lot of talent on this team this year. Just imagine what we'd be like if Damon hadn't decided to return...can you say Tic Price years? We're NOT getting any BETTER....we're still making the same dumb mistakes. Shaq Goodwin should be an All American by now...this is the first season in awhile that he has decided to show up...just as an example.
The love fest has to be over. I don't enjoy the prospect....and its like I said when Tommy West was fired "It feels like they shot Old Yeller." Its time....please dear God its time!

I've been against the idea of Bruce Pearl coming here...but I've been doing some thinking. While Calipari was here....the people above him (some not ALL) were some of the biggest idiots in the University of Memphis history. You take away Shirley Raines and RC Johnson....and replace them with Dr. Rudd and Tom Bowen...and all of a sudden hiring Pearl becomes an easy decision.
Just as Calipari has Sandy Bell at Kentucky watching his every move....Bruce Pearl would be dogged by competent administrators who would ensure no sneaky crap went on that would get us on probation.
I say hire the man tomorrow.....East Carolina has no business being within 15 points of us in basketball.
Bash me if you like....I don't care what anyone else thinks of me...I just want what is best for this program.
We all want to be in a bigger conference. Being good in the 2 major sports goes a long way towards making that easier for our university. I don't have thousands of dollars to throw into the pot to make a buyout happen....but I'll give whatever I can .
01-25-2016 03:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RCM1029 Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Yes vote here for Bruce Pearl
Man, I read the headline the wrong way. I read it as:

Yes! Vote here for Bruce Pearl

I was looking for a ballot box.
01-25-2016 03:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

(01-25-2016 03:35 PM)RCM1029 Wrote:  Man, I read the headline the wrong way. I read it as:

Yes! Vote here for Bruce Pearl

I was looking for a ballot box.

if I knew how to do one of those poll thingies...I would have
01-25-2016 03:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jaaaasonl Offline
Sometimes honesty is negative

I am NOT a Pastner fan.
That said...
If we hire Pearl, it will signify we learned nothing from the Calipari aftermath, IMO.
Pearl is dirty...and he's beneath this program...unless we've sunk to his level.
If he's the next coach, I won't be a hoops fan...nor even a supporter. I don't believe in "win at any cost"...but in the big picture, I'm just 1 fan, so...no big loss.
01-25-2016 03:43 PM
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
Pearl had a cookout. Which is now legal. He's stupid, but not dirty.
01-25-2016 03:47 PM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
(01-25-2016 03:43 PM)jaaaasonl Wrote:  I am NOT a Pastner fan.
That said...
If we hire Pearl, it will signify we learned nothing from the Calipari aftermath, IMO.
Pearl is dirty...and he's beneath this program...unless we've sunk to his level.
If he's the next coach, I won't be a hoops fan...nor even a supporter. I don't believe in "win at any cost"...but in the big picture, I'm just 1 fan, so...no big loss.

How many schools has Pearl caused to receive NCAA sanctions / penalties?
01-25-2016 03:50 PM
Advertisement

memphisike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
The Dude will be named COACH by end of June! BRUCE PEARL BRUCE PEARL BRUCE PEARL BRUCE PEARL
01-25-2016 03:55 PM
RekeHavoc Offline
#DoIt4Dez

(01-25-2016 03:55 PM)memphisike Wrote:  The Dude will be named COACH by end of June! BRUCE PEARL BRUCE PEARL BRUCE PEARL BRUCE PEARL

Can this dude bust a trey?
01-25-2016 04:02 PM
jaaaasonl Offline
Sometimes honesty is negative

(01-25-2016 03:50 PM)bluebacker Wrote:  
That said...

How many schools has Pearl caused to receive NCAA sanctions / penalties?

So, since his 3yr show-cause didn't affect EweTea directly, it's ok?

When I say "dirty" I'm not just talking about legalities. It goes deeper with both Pearl and Cal. Again, JMO, so it's not worth arguing over.
01-25-2016 04:05 PM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

That said...

He'd answer to Tom Bowen....not RC Johnson. Big difference.

As much as we don't like to talk about it...recruiting is a DIRTY game. To say that even Josh Pastner is incapable of twisting a knife in someone's back on the recruiting trail is just being naive and short sighted.
Memphis needs a salesman who will bring back the cameras and the 5 star players.
Pearl can make that happen.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2016 04:06 PM by EarthBoundMisfit.)
01-25-2016 04:05 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
That said...

I'm gonna need you to define "dirty" because pretty much every coach in high major basketball operates in the gray areas, no-caffeine drinking, non cussing folks included.
01-25-2016 04:17 PM
Advertisement

ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(01-25-2016 03:47 PM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  Pearl had a cookout. Which is now legal. He's stupid, but not dirty.

Telling players and other people to lie to the NCAA. Wire tapping phone calls with players and trying to get them to say other coaches are cheating.

He is dirty.
01-25-2016 06:19 PM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

(01-25-2016 06:19 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  
(01-25-2016 03:47 PM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  Pearl had a cookout. Which is now legal. He's stupid, but not dirty.

Telling players and other people to lie to the NCAA. Wire tapping phone calls with players and trying to get them to say other coaches are cheating.

He is dirty.

Josh Pastner sat in John Calipari's home and called Memphis recruits and told them that they were going to Kentucky.

Your point?
01-25-2016 08:47 PM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
(01-25-2016 08:47 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  
(01-25-2016 06:19 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  

He is dirty.

Josh Pastner sat in John Calipari's home and called Memphis recruits and told them that they were going to Kentucky.

Your point?

Boom goes the dynamite......

Paz worked for and rubbed elbows with X, lol
01-25-2016 08:52 PM
Easterwood Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Stupid
01-25-2016 09:12 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
Pearl has a 4 million dollar buyout (starting in April) and makes 2.2 million...no way we could afford that and buy out Pastner.
01-25-2016 09:28 PM
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

Good grief, if we are going for a coaching change where we are going to drop millions to get the new coach, I should hope that coach is doing better than .500 and has a better record than Pastner, didnt just get his ass handed to him by Florida, didnt get his ass handed to him by vandy, didnt get his ass handed to him by a team with a losing record, didnt lose at home by worse to SC than we did AT SC, and has gone better than 3-6 in his last 9 games.
01-26-2016 11:29 AM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
(01-26-2016 11:29 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  Good grief, if we are going for a coaching change where we are going to drop millions to get the new coach, I should hope that coach is doing better than .500 and has a better record than Pastner, didnt just get his ass handed to him by Florida, didnt get his ass handed to him by vandy, didnt get his ass handed to him by a team with a losing record, didnt lose at home by worse to SC than we did AT SC, and has gone better than 3-6 in his last 9 games.

You really compare things that way in real life, or is this how your logic works on message boards only?
01-26-2016 11:31 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
(01-26-2016 11:31 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  
(01-26-2016 11:29 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  Good grief, if we are going for a coaching change where we are going to drop millions to get the new coach, I should hope that coach is doing better than .500 and has a better record than Pastner, didnt just get his ass handed to him by Florida, didnt get his ass handed to him by vandy, didnt get his ass handed to him by a team with a losing record, didnt lose at home by worse to SC than we did AT SC, and has gone better than 3-6 in his last 9 games.

You really compare things that way in real life, or is this how your logic works on message boards only?

Down goes Frazier
01-26-2016 11:32 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

(01-26-2016 11:31 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  

results matter. at least to some of us. Maybe you Pearl Pumpers can give some insight on this.
01-26-2016 11:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.