Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Liberty Bowl
Bookmark and Share
MU MIke Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

A wacky WVU fan is claiming that the Big East will be taking CUSA spot in Liberty. Anything out there?

<a href='http://westvirginia.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=115&mid=55177473&sid=&tid=55177473&style=1' target='_blank'>Link</a>
07-18-2005 02:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Hello, and welcome to yesterday. :D

No, they aren't taking our spot.

It's wishful thinking induced by a desperate attempt to salvage some bowls. It's hersey.
07-18-2005 02:03 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

The Knight Time Wrote:Hello, and welcome to yesterday. :D

It's wishful thinking induced by a desperate attempt to salvage some bowls. It's hersey.
Yeah. The Big East is so desperate they're throwing everything into the Liberty Bowl. Right.
07-18-2005 02:45 PM
Nugget's Ghost Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Cat's_Claw Wrote:
The Knight Time Wrote:Hello, and welcome to yesterday.&nbsp; :D

Yeah. The Big East is so desperate they're throwing everything into the Liberty Bowl. Right.
Here is the "Toilet Bowl Trophy" the Big East will be playing for this year.

[Image: toilet2a.jpg]
07-18-2005 02:52 PM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Cat's_Claw Wrote:
The Knight Time Wrote:Hello, and welcome to yesterday.&nbsp; :D

If you guys' aren't, then why do you guys respond in every single post that even mentions Liberty Bowl?
07-18-2005 02:57 PM
Advertisement

carolinaherd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I took a look at the link. It is filled with error. 1st. No Liberty Bowl. 2nd. No Music City Bowl. Now the rest may be correct, and that according to today's announcement from the Music City Bowl. They are still the Big Least, but have an opportunity to get better.

Carolinaherd,

04-cheers
07-18-2005 03:03 PM
TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

The Liberty Bowl could not wait to get rid of the Big east in the 90's, they sure won't take them now. Just a guess but the Independence Bowl's SEC team could well end up in the Liberty Bowl. Looks like the Big east has bit the green weenie in the bowl realignment process.
07-18-2005 03:55 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

hopefully the newspapers are wrong... it has been reported in at least 2 papers that liberty is considering a SEC/BE#3 match up. I know some point to liberty bow site.. but if u read it they only talk about this year.. not after this year. We may very well keep it but I dont think it is nearly a lock...
07-19-2005 07:22 AM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

TopCoog Wrote:The Liberty Bowl could not wait to get rid of the Big east in the 90's, they sure won't take them now. Just a guess but the Independence Bowl's SEC team could well end up in the Liberty Bowl. Looks like the Big east has bit the green weenie in the bowl realignment process.
Top Coog we will find out soon enough but there is now reports from a couple of media outlets that it could very well be the SEC vs. Big East/ND number 3.
07-19-2005 07:26 AM
Advertisement

Lethemeul Offline
Fancy Pants

I Root For: Pirates!

NCAAbbs LUGDonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs

Maize Wrote:
TopCoog Wrote:The Liberty Bowl could not wait to get rid of the Big east in the 90's, they sure won't take them now. Just a guess but the Independence Bowl's SEC team could well end up in the Liberty Bowl. Looks like the Big east has bit the green weenie in the bowl realignment process.
Top Coog we will find out soon enough but there is now reports from a couple of media outlets that it could very well be the SEC vs. Big East/ND number 3.
If it goes down like this, I'm gonna be forced to proclaim Mongoslade, team switching weasel that he is, my new most trusted college football prognosticator.

That would hurt. Alot.
07-19-2005 08:03 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Well i guess one small positive for those who want a champ vs champ match up... Houston.. CUSA1 vs MWC1 would help travel for mwc guys... not likely it would happen.. but would make some sense.
07-19-2005 08:13 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals

This blurb comes from a Tampa outlet...

Quote:In Big East bowl news, the Liberty Bowl is considering taking the Big East's No. 3 team starting in 2006 season and pairing the Big East school against a Southeastern Conference school. The Liberty Bowl's agreement with Conference USA and the Mountain West expires after this season.

The Big East is seeking a replacement for the Insight Bowl whose contract ends after this season.

Here's the <a href='http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBVM3THBBE.html' target='_blank'>link</a>

---

IMHO, given the Liberty Bowl's history and the matchups they USED to be able to deliver, I can see where they'd want to shop around in time for the '06 season. As much as I respect the Memphis types here, and as much as they say the LB is all about Memphis, if the LB officials can deliver an "SEC vs. ACC", or an "SEC vs. Big East/ND", or an "ACC vs. Big East/ND" matchup, goodbye C-USA.
07-19-2005 08:52 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

And I agree with you Mongo. But what would ease the lost of the LB would be getting the Houston Bowl game. No it doesn't have the tradition of the LB but it would definitely be an adequate replacement.

And if this all went down where would this leave Memphis? I'm sure there would be some very miffed posters on this site.

Go CUSA!
07-19-2005 09:17 AM
Advertisement

Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

HiddenDragon Wrote:And I agree with you Mongo. But what would ease the lost of the LB would be getting the Houston Bowl game. No it doesn't have the tradition of the LB but it would definitely be an adequate replacement.
Houston likely wouldn't want to be labeled a non-BCS bowl either; they were happy to trade the C-USA affiliation for a BCS #8...

At one point, the local rag ran an article saying it would be great to get A&M to play in Reliant so that the city could establish itself as a player in the college football market.
07-19-2005 09:21 AM
Quote this message in a reply
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed

HiddenDragon Wrote:But what would ease the lost of the LB would be getting the Houston Bowl game. No it doesn't have the tradition of the LB but it would definitely be an adequate replacement.
The Houston Bowl would not be an adequate replacement for the Liberty Bowl.
07-19-2005 09:22 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

3601 Wrote:The Houston Bowl would not be an adequate replacement for the Liberty Bowl.
You're right... Playing a game in a superbowl-caliber 70,000 seat stadium with guaranteed perfect weather certainly doesn't compare with playing the bowl game outdoors in an outdated dump of a stadium...
07-19-2005 09:37 AM
Quote this message in a reply
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

With a 1.1 mil payout why wouldn't it be? And plus better weather than Memphis that time of the year. If they would guarantee to take the CUSA regardless of who it is it would be more an adequate replacement for the LB.
07-19-2005 09:37 AM
Advertisement

CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF

HiddenDragon Wrote:And I agree with you Mongo. But what would ease the lost of the LB would be getting the Houston Bowl game. No it doesn't have the tradition of the LB but it would definitely be an adequate replacement.

And if this all went down where would this leave Memphis? I'm sure there would be some very miffed posters on this site.

Go CUSA!
funny how I essentially posted the same thing yet I got flamed.

Some of you guys need to grow up.
07-19-2005 10:41 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

CyberBull Wrote:
HiddenDragon Wrote:And I agree with you Mongo.&nbsp; But what would ease the lost of the LB would be getting the Houston Bowl game.&nbsp; No it doesn't have the tradition of the LB but it would definitely be an adequate replacement.

And if this all went down where would this leave Memphis?&nbsp; I'm sure there would be some very miffed posters on this site.

Go CUSA!
funny how I essentially posted the same thing yet I got flamed.

Some of you guys need to grow up.
WHY ARE YOU ON THIS BOARD?

Go away.
07-19-2005 10:59 AM
carolinaherd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I am for C-USA all the way. My post has nothing to do with the B/E conference whatsoever. Those of you, who are from the B/E, and want to make that leap, go ahead, because the fall will be hard in a couple years. My post is about $$$$$$$$, and Notre Dame. I say if this "would" come to fruition, it is a sad day in college football.

As far as the Houston Bowl, I would rather spend the 31st of December in Houston, Texas, most anytime, but that is not the issue. The issue is the direction college athletics is headed.

Carolinaherd,
07-19-2005 11:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.