Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fox Sports:Stan Kroenke leery of Raiders fans in shopping areas around new stadium
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
Fox Sports:Stan Kroenke leery of Raiders fans in shopping areas around new stadium
One of the reason why he is working to secure the Chargers over the Raiders...here is another according to Fox Sports:

Last week, NFL owners selected the Rams’ proposal for a stadium in Inglewood over the Chargers and Raiders’ joint proposal for a venue in nearby Carson. The agreement left open the possibility of either the Chargers or Raiders joining the Rams in Los Angeles. The Chargers have until March 23 to decide where they’ll play in 2016 and until next January to decide for sure whether to move to L.A. If they choose to remain in San Diego, the Raiders will be given the opportunity to relocate.

In an odd conflict of interest, the Rams are apparently negotiating furiously with the Chargers because they believe the Chargers will be less successful in Los Angeles than the Raiders. It’s hard to imagine the NFL is thrilled with that reasoning, but the league set the rules, and Kroenke and company are following them.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/rams-...ium-012016
01-21-2016 10:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
RE: Fox Sports:Stan Kroenke leery of Raiders fans in shopping areas around new stadium
The Raiders are the most popular team in SoCal and second most popular in California overall (to the 49ers).
01-21-2016 11:01 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Fox Sports:Stan Kroenke leery of Raiders fans in shopping areas around new stadium
(01-21-2016 11:01 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  The Raiders are the most popular team in SoCal and second most popular in California overall (to the 49ers).

For now...Kroenke got in...got his building...and is off to one hellva start in Los Angeles.
01-22-2016 05:49 AM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
This reminds of a team that has clinched a spot in the playoffs and they can basically choose their opponent in the playoffs.

It's like the Rams have clinched and they play the Chargers in the last game of the season. If the Chargers win, they make the playoffs and face the Rams again the next week. If the Chargers lose, then the Raiders play the Rams in the playoffs.

The Rams would rather lose to the Chargers now and win against the Chargers in the more important contest and would rather not play the Raiders.
01-22-2016 09:56 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Funny and true. The raiders would be equals in the LA market like the jets and giants. The chargers would be like the clippers. Who knows what happens. The crazy option is for the chargers to move to LA and the raiders to move to San diego but guess that could happen.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2016 11:41 AM by bluesox.)
01-22-2016 11:39 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-22-2016 11:39 AM)bluesox Wrote:  Funny and true. The raiders would be equals in the LA market like the jets and giants. The chargers would be like the clippers. Who knows what happens. The crazy option is for the chargers to move to LA and the raiders to move to San diego but guess that could happen.
That is a viable option if the Chargers move and the city offer the Raiders a stadium deal...apparently the NFL would not require a Relocation Fee for the Raiders if that happens.
01-22-2016 02:00 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(01-22-2016 11:39 AM)bluesox Wrote:  Funny and true. The raiders would be equals in the LA market like the jets and giants. The chargers would be like the clippers. Who knows what happens. The crazy option is for the chargers to move to LA and the raiders to move to San diego but guess that could happen.

I don't see how that is true, the Chargers' primary fan base is still within easy driving distance. They are clearly the third most popular team that could move to LA but its not as if they'd be the Jags struggling to make an impact and a name for themselves in LA.
01-22-2016 03:36 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(01-22-2016 03:36 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  

I don't see how that is true, the Chargers' primary fan base is still within easy driving distance. They are clearly the third most popular team that could move to LA but its not as if they'd be the Jags struggling to make an impact and a name for themselves in LA.

That's like saying that if the Texans moved to Austin, their Houston fans would drive to Austin to see the games.
01-22-2016 04:32 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

As it stands, people from all over Texas come to watch the Texans, so that analogy does fit. The Chargers have bordering approaching 60 years of history in San Diego so they're not gonna lose their ties if they move up the freeway some.
01-22-2016 04:50 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-22-2016 04:50 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  As it stands, people from all over Texas come to watch the Texans, so that analogy does fit. The Chargers have bordering approaching 60 years of history in San Diego so they're not gonna lose their ties if they move up the freeway some.

People from all over Texas don't sell out Texans games. They are no doubt selling the vast majority of tickets to people who live within an hour or so of the stadium.

There won't be large numbers of people driving from SD to LA 10 times a year to see the Chargers. Or the Rams. Small numbers, sure, and no doubt some bored sportswriter will write a story about a carload of fans who make that drive, but small numbers don't impact the bottom line. If they can't sell 90% of the tickets to people who actually live in LA or OC, they're not going to fill the stadium.

Every so often someone will write a story of a few Southwest planes of Raiders fans traveling from LA to Oakland on game day, but that is at most a few hundred people, an insignificant number when it comes to trying to fill an NFL stadium. That's about the number of people you'd have traveling to LA for Chargers games. (It might actually be less hassle to fly from LAX to Oakland than to drive from San Diego to Inglewood, for that matter.)

Same is true for the wishful-thinking articles in San Diego about how easy it would be for the Raiders to get LA fans to drive to SD if the Raiders move there. Once or twice a year as a fun weekend trip is one thing, but 10 times a year, for people who would spend 3 hours each way traveling to the game... not gonna happen in large numbers.
01-22-2016 05:35 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

The vast majority of the people that go to Texans games are from Houston and its suburbs but they have no shortage of fans from around the state and as far away as Lake Charles. Not everyone is a Cowboys fan.

I never said LA area fans wouldn't make up the majority of the fan base and especially at the stadium, just that the Chargers main base wouldn't disappear over night and are in close enough proximity that a couple hundred miles wouldn't deter them if the really still wanted to go to games badly enough.
01-22-2016 05:46 PM
Advertisement

Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
RE:Fox Sports:Stan Kroenke leery of Raiders fans in shopping areas around new stadium
I think you're mistaken. It doesn't look very far on a map but if you live here it's easier to understand. I laughed when I saw something about Chargers fans driving up for Monday Night Football. If anyone WAS going to drive from to SD for MNF, they'd probably have to take a day off work. That's a 3 hour drive, minimum, and likely closer to 4, at that time of day.

San Diego doesn't think of itself as LA, and for the most part SD residents are irritated when others associate them with LA. Wedge is right about Chargers fans in LA/OC. And the hardcore fans in SD? Some of them will travel north but a lot more of them will not, because it's too far, tickets will be too expensive, and because a bunch of them will be pissed off that the Chargers have left. The vast majority of its fan base WILL disappear as soon as they move. I think the Chargers could, eventually, build a following in LA but it's going to take some work, and some time because they're basically starting from scratch. AND they're already waaaaay behind the Rams...

Sam Farmer
‏@LATimesfarmer
The Los Angeles Rams have collected more than 45,000 season-ticket deposits ($100) in the first 48 hours of sales campaign. One deposit per.
01-22-2016 06:30 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

SD is certainly distinct from LA and Orange County (I'm originally from outside of LA, so I know very well) but that wouldn't stop people from following their favorite team, especially with them being so close. And if they love the Chargers enough, I see no reason why they wouldn't plan and take time off of work for a Monday Night or Thursday Night game, there's only two of those oddities a year. They'd have months to prepare. It wouldn't be as if the Padres moved up the coast or even when the Clippers did.

And everyone always says they'll never follow a team if they move away or change leagues (like the Astros) but seemingly always return, especially if they get good. If the Chargers win 12 games upon moving to LA, everyone will be on the bandwagon, including San Diego fans.
01-22-2016 10:42 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

Fox Sports:Stan Kroenke leery of Raiders fans in shopping areas around new st...
Look, we've seen this before - we don't have to guess. Three decades after they moved, there are people in Baltimore who are still pissed at the colts and Irsays for moving them to Indy. The friends I grew up with, rooting for the Rams - we were rooting against them when they went to the Super Bowl as St Louis's team. And it's got nothing to do with proximity. The only way you have a chance of being right about this is if Spanos sells the team. As long as he's the owner, San Diego fans will blame him for the move and that will impact their support of the team.
01-23-2016 02:01 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

We're agreeing, it's just to which degree. What you're saying is true but the idea that the Chargers base would disappear immediately or within a short time is just wrong. Now if another team moves to San Diego or an expansion team is granted, then I'm in full agreement. This is similar to the situation with the Texans. Without the Texans, I'd no question still be a Titans fan.

San Diego would be behind the Chargers in the first decade or so, it just wouldn't be to the level it was when they were in town, hypothetically of course.
01-23-2016 02:23 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

To add, I was the biggest fan of the Titans in 1999 during their Super Bowl run and didn't put the Oilers/Titans in the rear view until the Texans came into existence.
01-23-2016 02:34 AM
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(01-23-2016 02:01 AM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  Look, we've seen this before - we don't have to guess. Three decades after they moved, there are people in Baltimore who are still pissed at the colts and Irsays for moving them to Indy.

So true. To this day, when the Colts play at M&T Bank Stadium, the PA announcer, and anyone in the stadium REFUSE to call them the Colts. The are always referred to as "the Professional football team from Indianapolis."

[Image: Ravens-Indy_Scoreboard.jpg]
01-25-2016 11:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-25-2016 11:13 AM)adcorbett Wrote:  
(01-23-2016 02:01 AM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  Look, we've seen this before - we don't have to guess. Three decades after they moved, there are people in Baltimore who are still pissed at the colts and Irsays for moving them to Indy.

So true. To this day, when the Colts play at M&T Bank Stadium, the PA announcer, and anyone in the stadium REFUSE to call them the Colts. The are always referred to as "the Professional football team from Indianapolis."

And, speaking of the team that was moved to Baltimore...

Last year, a Cleveland Browns fan traveled to Maryland just so he could pee on Art Modell's grave and post the video on social media.
01-25-2016 11:26 AM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

(01-25-2016 11:13 AM)adcorbett Wrote:  

That's awesome.
01-25-2016 12:13 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

The pot calling the kettle black. How exactly did the Ravens come into existence?
01-25-2016 04:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.