Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

PLEASE GOD NO!!!!!!!!!!
Bookmark and Share
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
PLEASE GOD NO!!!!!!!!!!
MLB in discussion about adding the DH to NL.

With the short attention span of today's fan base why not switch to 3 ball walks or 2 strike outs. Maybe 2 out innings or 7 inning games.
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2016 04:44 PM by ncrdbl1.)
01-21-2016 04:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
RE: PLEASE GOD NO!!!!!!!!!!
(01-21-2016 04:22 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  MLB in discussion about adding the DL to NL.

With the short attention span of today's fan base why not switch to 3 ball walks or 2 strike outs. Maybe 2 out innings or 7 inning games.

the DH?
01-21-2016 04:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

(01-21-2016 04:23 PM)Tiger46 Wrote:  
(01-21-2016 04:22 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  MLB in discussion about adding the DL to NL.

the DH?

nice catch thanks
01-21-2016 04:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Trapper John Offline
1st String

Only argument for it would be for the protection of pitchers' health. Cards have had a couple pitchers hurt while batting the past few years. To me, it makes the overall game more boring. I like double switches, pinch hitting, pitchers that can lay down a good bunt, etc.
01-21-2016 06:37 PM
ksigtigerdood Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
Baseball needs to make a lot of changes. I'm not sure if this should be #1 on the priority list, though.
01-21-2016 06:43 PM
Advertisement

Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
Every other sport has made rules to improve the game..most without the histrionics baseball gets.

NBA did not always have a shot clock. That inorganic rule improved the game.

The DH changed strategy a little bit...no question...not interested in a debate about the incredible nuance and difficulty in making the incredible earth shattering decision whether to pinch hit for a pitcher. But it has also made it better for fans...not all...as many will surely mention.

Football moved the goal posts back. Took deceive hands off receivers.

Not the worst thing to improve a game for the fans. Purists want no shot clocks in basketball. But these guys are not exactly using old equipment.
01-21-2016 08:00 PM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

AL teams carry fewer bench players and more pitchers. While it may extend the career of a handful of hitters who no longer can make plays in the field. It also shortens the careers of pitchers who have to make more pitches to quality hitters. You can no longer pitch around a 8 spot player to get to pitcher and easy out. Fewer utility players on the bench to pinch run or pinch hit. Also they pitch deeper in game since they are not being pulled for pinch hitter during rallies.
01-21-2016 09:30 PM
Rob
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
I generally like baseball's resistance to change and am a fan of an NL team(Cards) but who the hell wants to see a guy batting who can't hit? If the pitchers were at least competent with the stick I wouldn't care at all but guys who can't even hit .100 shouldn't be batting.
01-21-2016 09:51 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I am not a fan of the DH but honestly when I go to Rangers games I don't even think about it.
01-22-2016 12:48 PM
Advertisement

georgiatiger Offline
Axel

I Root For: Everyone
Donators
(01-21-2016 08:00 PM)Mimi Wrote:  The DH changed eliminated strategy...no question...

Fixed
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2016 10:22 PM by georgiatiger.)
01-22-2016 10:22 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
Too dramatic.

It eliminated one aspect of strategy. Not all.

It added strategy too.

Get it all from purists, understand it, but some non organic rules in sports are good. The aforementioned basketball shot clock and the DH.
01-23-2016 12:00 AM
georgiatiger Offline
Axel

Donators
(01-23-2016 12:00 AM)Mimi Wrote:  Too dramatic.

It eliminated one aspect of strategy. Not all.

It added strategy too.

Get it all from purists, understand it, but some non organic rules in sports are good. The aforementioned basketball shot clock and the DH.

Tony La Russa once said he preferred managing in the NL due to the strategy involved. Not sure what else he was referring to.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2016 11:14 AM by georgiatiger.)
01-24-2016 11:13 AM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
If the DH comes, I walk. Period.
01-24-2016 01:09 PM
Advertisement

Rob
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(01-24-2016 01:09 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  If the DH comes, I walk. Period.

Intentionally walking from the game? I'll give you a free pass on this one.
01-24-2016 02:30 PM
georgiatiger Offline
Axel

Donators
(01-24-2016 02:30 PM)Rob Wrote:  
(01-24-2016 01:09 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  If the DH comes, I walk. Period.

Intentionally walking from the game? I'll give you a free pass on this one.

She has a point. I pretty much lost interest in the American League (except when I lived up there and had season tickets for the Yankes one year). 04-cheers

When they decided to change the rules for profit, I was done.
01-25-2016 10:56 PM
Rob
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
You make it sound like they took pitchers out of the game and had guys hitting off tees haha
01-26-2016 02:15 AM
georgiatiger Offline
Axel

Donators
Babe Ruth was a helluva pitcher, but glad they got to see what he could do with a bat. 03-wink Makes me wonder what his HR total could have been had he been an everyday player from the start.
01-26-2016 11:01 AM
georgiatiger Offline
Axel

Donators
Not so fast: Rob Manfred says DH probably not coming to NL soon
By Chris Cwik
8 hours ago

Rest easy, baseball traditionalists. Commissioner Rob Manfred says he doesn't believe the designated hitter will be coming to the National League any time soon.

At the owners meetings, Manfred indicated that the idea of having the DH on the NL was gaining momentum. Just a few days later, he told ESPN's Jerry Crasnick he expects to leagues to remain status quo.

"The most likely result on the designated hitter for the foreseeable future is the status quo," Manfred said in an interview with ESPN.com in conjunction with his one-year anniversary as commissioner. "I think the vast majority of clubs in the National League want to stay where they are."

Manfred also made similar comments to our own Jeff Passan. When asked about how people responded to his initial thoughts on the DH in the NL, Manfred said he was surprised by the feedback.

I was very surprised, the stories that were written. All I did was respond to a question about advantages and disadvantages and respond to a comment [Cardinals GM John Mozeliak] had made. My summation on that was: I don’t even know if it’s going to be a topic in bargaining. We seem to forget about this piece.

As Manfred explains above, he was merely hashing out the pros and cons of having a DH in both leagues. It seems as though he never meant for people to interpret his comments as "the DH is coming to the NL soon." On top of that, he told Passan that he wasn't sure whether bringing the DH to the NL would be a topic in the next Collective Bargaining Agreement. That would make it difficult for the NL to adopt the DH by 2017, which was an early speculation based on the quotes given at the owners meetings.

That doesn't mean changes won't come eventually. When Manfred spoke at the owners meetings, he pointed out that things have changed since the inception of the DH. It would have been impossible to convince the owners to universally adopt the position in 1973, but things are different today. The owners are more open-minded to different ideas now.

That seems to be the case. This whole controversy started after St. Louis Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak supported the idea of the DH coming to the NL. While Mozeliak's statements received a lot of attention, it appears he's in the minority among those in power in the NL for now. The owners may be more accepting of the idea, but not everyone agrees with Mozeliak just yet.

It's not the first time Manfred's comments have been ripped apart and analyzed more than he had intended. The baseball world fell into a tizzy when Manfred suggested defensive shifts could be eliminated from the game shortly after he named commissioner. Manfred talked a bit more about that experience during his interview with Passan.

This time around, Manfred appears to have gotten out in front of the issue before it became too large. The DH is not coming to the NL, at least, not in the next year or two. Traditionalists and those who love to see pitchers hit can put away their pitchforks.

And for those fighting for change, at least you get to see Bartolo Colon take a few cuts in the batter's box a while longer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-le...36039.html
01-26-2016 11:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.