Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UConn BBall starts off 2017 Class with a bang
upstater1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
UConn BBall starts off 2017 Class with a bang
Just landed a commitment from top 20 player, 7' 1" center, from Miami, Fla.

https://twitter.com/ReggieRankin/status/...wsrc%5Etfw

This is on top of a top 5 or top 10 class this year. 4 top 100 players.

Next up, they are trying to land Hamidou Diallo from New York City, a top 10 player.
01-20-2016 10:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HartfordHusky Online
1st String

I Root For: UCONN
RE: UConn BBall starts off 2017 Class with a bang
Yes!!! Top 5 class already for 2016, and off to a great start for 2017!
01-20-2016 10:32 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Congrats guys!!
01-20-2016 11:06 AM
Hank Schrader Offline
1st String

ideally we start winning trophies again with these classes. Post-Shabazz has been rough.

EDIT: that came across angrier than I intended. Brown is a sick addition to an absolutely stellar class next year. I just miss wining.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2016 12:24 PM by Hank Schrader.)
01-20-2016 12:19 PM
Advertisement

Titans3775 Offline
All American

I Root For: Nuclear Power
I see so much of Pastner in Ollie. Great recruiter and great waster of talent. Without Shabazz what would people being saying of Ollie today? I really don't see him as being very good coach. The UConn-Memphis game he just sat idly on the sidelines while a bad Memphis team nearly pulled off the upset. UConn has so much talent on its roster right now and I know yall can't be happy with these past few years of results.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2016 12:26 PM by Titans3775.)
01-20-2016 12:25 PM
HartfordHusky Online
1st String

(01-20-2016 12:25 PM)Titans3775 Wrote:  I see so much of Pastner in Ollie. Great recruiter and great waster of talent. Without Shabazz what would people being saying of Ollie today? I really don't see him as being very good coach. The UConn-Memphis game he just sat idly on the sidelines while a bad Memphis team nearly pulled off the upset. UConn has so much talent on its roster right now and I know yall can't be happy with these past few years of results.

Considering we were banned in 2013, won it all in 2014, and missed the tourney in 2015, I'd say we're pretty happy with what he's done outside of last year, which we all expected to be somewhat of a down season. We'll see how the rest of this season plays out. Hopefully, we get Brimah back soon. Our local beat writer just took the fanbase to task this morning about being too hard on Ollie.
01-20-2016 01:01 PM
Titans3775 Offline
All American

(01-20-2016 01:01 PM)HartfordHusky Wrote:  
(01-20-2016 12:25 PM)Titans3775 Wrote:  I see so much of Pastner in Ollie. Great recruiter and great waster of talent. Without Shabazz what would people being saying of Ollie today? I really don't see him as being very good coach. The UConn-Memphis game he just sat idly on the sidelines while a bad Memphis team nearly pulled off the upset. UConn has so much talent on its roster right now and I know yall can't be happy with these past few years of results.

Considering we were banned in 2013, won it all in 2014, and missed the tourney in 2015, I'd say we're pretty happy with what he's done outside of last year, which we all expected to be somewhat of a down season. We'll see how the rest of this season plays out. Hopefully, we get Brimah back soon. Our local beat writer just took the fanbase to task this morning about being too hard on Ollie.

I feel like his in-game coaching is nearly none existent in the games that I have watched. I really feel like yall should be better with the amount of talent there right now. Just my observations though.
01-20-2016 01:05 PM
Advertisement

Hank Schrader Offline
1st String

(01-20-2016 01:05 PM)Titans3775 Wrote:  

I feel like his in-game coaching is nearly none existent in the games that I have watched. I really feel like yall should be better with the amount of talent there right now. Just my observations though.

I do not disagree with a lot of this. Ollie showed signs of greatness in 2013 and 2014 but has shown signs of regression in 2015 and 2016.

We will see which coach Kevin Ollie is in the next few years.
01-20-2016 01:09 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
I think the Pastner comparison is absurd.

Absolute sick recruiting.

As a coach, he's still a work in progress (like many good ones were when they were at the same stage in their career).

As was said before, the next few years will say a lot.
01-20-2016 01:21 PM
upstater1 Offline
1st String

(01-20-2016 01:05 PM)Titans3775 Wrote:  

In 2014, he outcoached Izzo, Donovan, Hoiberg, Phil Martelli, Calipari, etc. He coached his butt off.

And the two recruiting classes UConn has been relying on were 2012 and 2013. These are our seniors and juniors.

They are Kentan Facey (backup PF), Omar Calhoun (great freshman year, but big injuries including hip surgery for 2 years in a row), and Terence Samuel (who transferred).

UConn essentially has a donut hole for 2 recruiting classes. Through its history UConn has always passed the baton from PG to PG. Chris Smith to Kevin Ollie to Khalid El-Amin to Taliek Brown to Marcus Williams to AJ Price to Kemba Walker to Shabazz Napier. Guess what? There was no baton passing after Shabazz left. Why? Because of various factors.

Loss of a Hall of Fame coach, a totally bogus APR probation which never should have happened, the dissolution of the strongest BBall conference in college history, and scholarship reductions that reduced the classes to one or two incoming players.

Terence Samuel would have been the PG to take over the reins, but (although he gave UConn huge helpful minutes in the 2013 tourney) he was a top 20 recruit, and he has since transferred out.

Jalen Adams is now the heir apparent, but he's never played with a great PG ahead of him. He actually looks great. Kemba Walker did not do much freshman year either. So UConn has high hopes here. But what's missing right now, despite the addition of Sterling Gibbs who has not settled into Ollie's offense, and who also prefers playing off guard, is a leader. Especially from the PG position. Someone who will run the offense.

Essentially, UConn is playing without a PG right now. Last year's team simply lost too much talent, including 2 players that went in the first 32 picks of the NBA draft, a couple big men, Giffey, etc.

And yet, despite all the negative stuff, the dissolution of the conference, Calhoun's retirement, the scholarship bans, the probation and postseason ban, they won 2 national championships in this era.

It really is absurd to say he does little with talent. 2013 he really coached them up and had them playing well. In 2014, he won a national championship with a team that was not the most talented in the land. In 2015, they lost a ton of top players and were not very talented. This year, they have been without a point guard and have been underwhelming so far, but they still have wins against Michigan, @Texas, Ohio State, and have Georgetown coming up this weekend.

By the way, if UConn had all its scholarships 4 years ago, they would have given one to a local player who used to attend a lot of UConn games. He was a Connecticut kid, best friends with Andre Drummond. Same prep school in Connecticut. Drummong got the last scholarship.

Kris Dunn went to Providence. He is now odds on favorite for National Player of the Year.
01-20-2016 01:41 PM
Advertisement

Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC
Re: RE: UConn BBall starts off 2017 Class with a bang

Maybe this is a pretty good bb league, ever think of that
01-20-2016 01:57 PM
vodka Offline
Bench Warmer

I think the divorce has really affected Kevin Ollie he doesn't seem to have the fire he had the championship year or the previous.
Even still he's been recruiting pretty good for the future, eventually he'll get his mojo back
01-20-2016 02:15 PM
HartfordHusky Online
1st String

(01-20-2016 02:15 PM)vodka Wrote:  I think the divorce has really affected Kevin Ollie he doesn't seem to have the fire he had the championship year or the previous.
Even still he's been recruiting pretty good for the future, eventually he'll get his mojo back

I've been thinking about that too. That had to be tough on the family.
01-20-2016 02:30 PM
Advertisement

Titans3775 Offline
All American

(01-20-2016 01:57 PM)Stookey57 Wrote:  

Maybe this is a pretty good bb league, ever think of that

This year it undoubtedly sucks.
01-20-2016 03:36 PM
upstater1 Offline
1st String

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/...-part-ways

Zach Brown and UConn agree to part ways. Stinks because he has had a very tough childhood, and was practically adopted by a bball guy who looked out for him. He committed to UConn, transferred to a NEPSAC school very near UConn, ended up getting into a fistfight in his very first game, then got into it with teammates who defriended him on social media. Problem is, one was a UConn commit and the other is UConn's #1 target for 2017. He turned around in one week's time and transferred back to his public high school in Miami. Hope the kid comes out alright from this. He has a very tough story, and it would be great if he could overcome it. Ollie would have been the perfect guy to guide him.
05-05-2016 02:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.