Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

All fanbases who pull themselves up by the boot straps, DO NOT READ
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
All fanbases who pull themselves up by the boot straps, DO NOT READ
For all fan bases to believe posting information about CFB is complaining.

PLEASE STOP READING. Your feelings are going to be hurt if you continue to read.

For those who are just interested in the goings on of college football and don't get their panties in wad everytime something is posted, this might be of interest to you.

Paul Myerberg ‏@PaulMyerberg · 7m7 minutes ago
Hope you're sitting down: The SEC made $527.4 MILLION in the first year of the SEC Network and CFP http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/col.../79006606/
01-19-2016 02:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: All fanbases who pull themselves up by the boot straps, DO NOT READ
(01-19-2016 02:05 PM)nole Wrote:  For all fan bases to believe posting information about CFB is complaining.

PLEASE STOP READING. Your feelings are going to be hurt if you continue to read.

For those who are just interested in the goings on of college football and don't get their panties in wad everytime something is posted, this might be of interest to you.

Hope you're sitting down: The SEC made $527.4 MILLION in the first year of the SEC Network and CFP http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/col.../79006606/

That's a lot of cheddar.

I don't care that Alabama gets $35 million from the SEC, but it bothers me that S. Carolina and Mississippi State get it, because VT should be ahead of both of those teams.
01-19-2016 02:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
Has the ACC announced how much it distributed. And, who owns a majority interest in the SECN?
01-19-2016 02:24 PM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
(01-19-2016 02:24 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  Has the ACC announced how much it distributed. And, who owns a majority interest in the SECN?

ACC normally announces later in the summer.

The SEC splits revenue around 50/50 with ESPN. These revenue figures are after the split.
01-19-2016 02:28 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-19-2016 02:24 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  Has the ACC announced how much it distributed. And, who owns a majority interest in the SECN?

You can estimate conference distributions from the USA Today numbers [LINK]:

2014 Team Revenues, Rights & Licenses only
Conf School Rights/Licenses
SEC Alabama $52,520,960
B1G Michigan $55,601,096
ACC Florida St $40,493,922

Rights & licenses typically includes conference payouts

Other categories: ticket sales, contributions, student fees, school funds, and the ever helpful "other".
01-19-2016 02:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

BTW, the SEC reported $527 million as a conference; I'm going to estimate the ACC around $418 million. Here's how I got that number:

$315M from the ESPN TV contract
$ 50M from the CFP base amount
$27.5M from the Orange Bowl
$ 6M for getting a team into the playoffs
$ 20M+ for NCAA basketball tournament*
=========================
$418.5 million

So the difference is about $108 million spread over 14 teams plus a conference office, or 15 cuts (meaning a per team difference of $7 million)

*estimate
01-19-2016 02:50 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(01-19-2016 02:28 PM)nole Wrote:  

ACC normally announces later in the summer.

The SEC splits revenue around 50/50 with ESPN. These revenue figures are after the split.

The exact split cab impact revenue recognition. I can't remember the exact rules, so this may not be applicable. However, they might be recognizing money that isn't in their pockets. Also, the B1G numbers might be pre-gate tax. The B1H taxes schools after s certain number of ticket sales and redistributes the proceeds equally. It helps schools like NW at the expense of schools like OSU.

Additionally, the SEC/B1G are taking on more risk and have invested more into the conference. All other factors being equal, they should have higher payouts.

That said, the ACC NEEDS to close the gap. Seofford screwed the TV contract and he screwed the OB.
01-19-2016 03:01 PM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Re: RE: All fanbases who pull themselves up by the boot straps, DO NOT READ
(01-19-2016 02:16 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(01-19-2016 02:05 PM)nole Wrote:  For all fan bases to believe posting information about CFB is complaining.

That's a lot of cheddar.

I don't care that Alabama gets $35 million from the SEC, but it bothers me that S. Carolina and Mississippi State get it, because VT should be ahead of both of those teams.

Why?
01-19-2016 03:25 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(01-19-2016 03:25 PM)shere khan Wrote:  
(01-19-2016 02:16 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

That's a lot of cheddar.

Why?

Alabama is going to be elite no matter what. That's not true for USC and MSU.
01-19-2016 03:32 PM
GTTiger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GT and Clemson
The SEC distributed $457.8 million to its 14 members, an average of $32.7 million per school.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...ec-network

The ACC\Swofford needs to look at itself and work seriously towards another revenue generator, and stop half a&#*$ing the network.

The Big 12 is fighting with itself, and Pac 12 people are already complaining about the SEC's revenue figures.
01-19-2016 04:10 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports

Hope you're sitting down: The SEC made $527.4 MILLION in the first year of the SEC Network and CFP http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2016/01/19/sec-tax-return-college-football-playoff-sec-network-mike-slive/79006606/ …

That isn't exactly what the article said. That is a total revenue figure, not a "net". And it includes more than just the SECN and CFP. The phrasing makes it sound as if that's how much they netted from just those two things.
01-19-2016 05:11 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
Anyone who didn't realize that the deck is stacked heavenly in favor of the SEC and B1G is about on par with any poster who believes the ACC can do much about that discrepancy at the current time.

The cache the Greater 2 have built up over more than three decades will be extremely hard to overcome in the next three decades, no less the extremely shorter time frame some here think it should be done.

The goal for now should be to do everything possible to make the ACC the third best conference so to be at the head of the Little 3 Table.

Cheers,
Neil
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2016 05:18 PM by omniorange.)
01-19-2016 05:16 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(01-19-2016 05:11 PM)ken d Wrote:  

Hope you're sitting down: The SEC made $527.4 MILLION in the first year of the SEC Network and CFP http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2016/01/19/sec-tax-return-college-football-playoff-sec-network-mike-slive/79006606/ …

That isn't exactly what the article said. That is a total revenue figure, not a "net". And it includes more than just the SECN and CFP. The phrasing makes it sound as if that's how much they netted from just those two things.

What is not being mentioned here is that it wasn't for a full year's worth of revenue with regards to the SECN. It opened late July early August, but didn't get heavy carriage until about a week before the first kick. Last year's totals were lowered by the final payouts to cover overhead from the start up of the SECN.

Next year's figures will be higher as they will include the full year's worth of revenue, will be predicated on consistent carriage, and will not include withheld funds for overhead.

Also these figures for the SEC do not include radio income, and advertising income which still remains with the individual school and is not reported to the conference, nor does it include merchandise specific to the school. It does include merchandise specific to the SEC.
01-19-2016 08:02 PM
33laszlo99 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Bama
(01-19-2016 05:16 PM)omniorange Wrote:  Anyone who didn't realize that the deck is stacked heavenly in favor of the SEC and B1G is about on par with any poster who believes the ACC can do much about that discrepancy at the current time.

The cache the Greater 2 have built up over more than three decades will be extremely hard to overcome in the next three decades, no less the extremely shorter time frame some here think it should be done.

The goal for now should be to do everything possible to make the ACC the third best conference so to be at the head of the Little 3 Table.

Cheers,
Neil

Cheers, indeed. What an unusually rational view of the ACC situation.
Most ACC message board fans are unshakably sure that, any day now, their fortunes will be instantly changed by some knight in shining armor: Notre Dame, Texas, ESPN. It is so unlikely and yet they see every cryptic tweet, every message board rumor, and every vague pronouncement by Boren as the very catalyst, the impetus that will set the wheels in motion and bring them riches that the SEC can only dream of. After all, they have 99 bazillion more population than the dying Rust Belt. (There is also a population "trend" map which projects that in 50 years, almost everyone on Earth will live in North Carolina.) There is widespread puzzlement that ESPN hasn't already launched the ACCN just on the strength of the MBB and non-revenue sports.
You are right about the goal of strengthening the ACC vs. PAC12 and Big12. Between now and the expiry of the media deal, the individual schools need to invest in facilities, coaches and PR. Some have made strides recently. That's a good start. The conference, for its part, should sell, sell, sell the football product. ACC basketball sells itself and the conference has been negligent for thinking ACC football should do so as well. Kids who entered kindergarten this school year will be nearly ready for college when this media contract expires. Let's hope they are infected with football fever by then. Notre Dame isn't joining. They just don't want to. Texas will not deign to join somebody else's conference when the already own one. If ESPN thought they could make money with an ACCN, it would here by now. The ACC needs to continuously build their football product and be ready to make a real media deal next time around.
01-20-2016 01:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.