Thread Closed 
Big XII article from the WVU point of view
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
Big XII article from the WVU point of view
http://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports/2016...2-identity

Pretty strong comments from wvu president Gordon Gee

Jackson
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2016 06:48 AM by Jackson1011.)
01-19-2016 06:46 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
RE: Big XII article from the WVU point of view
I say there is more lining up to vote with Boren. Seems like 14 schools instead of 12. Cincinnati, UConn, UCF and Memphis are the strong favorites to be picked.
01-19-2016 08:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
If Texas is going to be forced to play with the likes of a UConn or a Cincy then they would rather just go play with the likes of a North Carolina or a Syracuse even.
01-19-2016 08:15 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Let's see, if they add four and lose two, they can still hold a championship game.
01-19-2016 08:16 AM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(01-19-2016 08:16 AM)XLance Wrote:  Let's see, if they add four and lose two, they can still hold a championship game.

That wont happen anytime soon, contractual obligations.
01-19-2016 08:18 AM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(01-19-2016 08:11 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  I say there is more lining up to vote with Boren. Seems like 14 schools instead of 12. Cincinnati, UConn, UCF and Memphis are the strong favorites to be picked.

I just don't see UCF or BYU as an option since it creates a brand new island for the Big 12. If the conference goes to 12 I agree that UConn would be a good add along with Cincinnati however 14 would be the best option by adding UConn, Cincinnati, Memphis and Colorado St. This option would get the Big 12 into the Northeast/New York, Ohio, Tennessee and Denver markets and would greatly strengthen the league in basketball.

BYU is a great school and has a P5 profile but geography seems to be working against them here.
01-19-2016 08:35 AM
Advertisement

TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
Cincy and Memphis are right there.
01-19-2016 08:41 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(01-19-2016 08:18 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(01-19-2016 08:16 AM)XLance Wrote:  Let's see, if they add four and lose two, they can still hold a championship game.

That wont happen anytime soon, contractual obligations.

Then they won't be adding four......too hard to dissolve the conference without going to court.
01-19-2016 08:59 AM
RUScarlets Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
Go with UConn. I never thought I'd be vouching for them in the Big 12, but honestly, it's a top notch Bball program and a national brand in that regard, along with solid academics. The flights to Manhattan and Des Moines aren't terrible, no worse than traveling to Florida and Memphis. Just get her done. If they wanted two more, I would look at the Florida pair, Temple/Memphis, or Tulane/Memphis. Or ECU/Temple. Those are the viable options (although not really).
01-19-2016 09:12 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(01-19-2016 09:12 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  Go with UConn. I never thought I'd be vouching for them in the Big 12, but honestly, it's a top notch Bball program and a national brand in that regard, along with solid academics. The flights to Manhattan and Des Moines aren't terrible, no worse than traveling to Florida and Memphis. Just get her done. If they wanted two more, I would look at the Florida pair, Temple/Memphis, or Tulane/Memphis. Or ECU/Temple. Those are the viable options (although not really).

So you think Cincinnati is not power conference worthy?
01-19-2016 09:15 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(01-19-2016 08:35 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  
(01-19-2016 08:11 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  I say there is more lining up to vote with Boren. Seems like 14 schools instead of 12. Cincinnati, UConn, UCF and Memphis are the strong favorites to be picked.

I just don't see UCF or BYU as an option since it creates a brand new island for the Big 12. If the conference goes to 12 I agree that UConn would be a good add along with Cincinnati however 14 would be the best option by adding UConn, Cincinnati, Memphis and Colorado St. This option would get the Big 12 into the Northeast/New York, Ohio, Tennessee and Denver markets and would greatly strengthen the league in basketball.

BYU is a great school and has a P5 profile but geography seems to be working against them here.

Central Florida is there because of the Orlando TV Market which is a big market for a tv Network.

From what the article mentioned something about a compensation to work out with Texas to fold the Longhorns Network into a Big 12 Network which is why UCF is mentioned.
01-19-2016 09:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(01-19-2016 09:12 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  Go with UConn. I never thought I'd be vouching for them in the Big 12, but honestly, it's a top notch Bball program and a national brand in that regard, along with solid academics. The flights to Manhattan and Des Moines aren't terrible, no worse than traveling to Florida and Memphis. Just get her done. If they wanted two more, I would look at the Florida pair, Temple/Memphis, or Tulane/Memphis. Or ECU/Temple. Those are the viable options (although not really).

UConn is ridiculous. Temple is pretty ridiculous too. They are the only school ever to get kicked out of a major conference.

The writer is definitely looking at it from a WV point of view. He wants to re-create the Big East. The Big 12 has no interest in that.

Average Distance to current Big 12 schools:
BYU 1,182
USF 1,248
UCF 1,226
Cincinnati 826
Uconn 1,516
Memphis 588
Houston 588
Tulane 766

Its closer to Los Angeles from Austin than to Storrs. The average would be more than the longest P5 distance other than Seattle-Tuscon (and that is only 12 miles further). Nobody but WV is within 1200 miles of UConn.

3.5-4 hours EACH way is not an easy trip for the student-athletes. And there is a financial cost to all the Big 12 schools for that extra travel.
01-19-2016 09:44 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
The Longhorn network is not going to be folded into a Big 12 network anytime soon. That is a non-starter. There may be Texas content on a Big 12 network, but the LHN isn't going away.
01-19-2016 09:45 AM
RUScarlets Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
(01-19-2016 09:44 AM)bullet Wrote:  

UConn is ridiculous. Temple is pretty ridiculous too. They are the only school ever to get kicked out of a major conference.

The writer is definitely looking at it from a WV point of view. He wants to re-create the Big East. The Big 12 has no interest in that.

Average Distance to current Big 12 schools:
BYU 1,182
USF 1,248
UCF 1,226
Cincinnati 826
Uconn 1,516
Memphis 588
Houston 588
Tulane 766

Its closer to Los Angeles from Austin than to Storrs. The average would be more than the longest P5 distance other than Seattle-Tuscon (and that is only 12 miles further). Nobody but WV is within 1200 miles of UConn.

3.5-4 hours EACH way is not an easy trip for the student-athletes. And there is a financial cost to all the Big 12 schools for that extra travel.

BYU isn't a feasible reach either. So what are you looking at for an alternative? If they go with Memphis then so be it. I don't think there is a huge downgrade between either of them. Memphis might be more of a cultural fit and are actually building something in football. I would just try to cut further into ACC territory if I were them. UConn would be an easy back fill for the ACC, and no doubt UConn would jump at that, but it at least gives the Big 12 some leverage if schools like WVU and UConn want to defect later. It will be harder and more costly to defect a P5 conference.

I don't think they should add half the AAC and put them in an East division, that's why I'm looking at no more than two schools. And yeah, I'd lean UConn over Memphis as crazy as that sounds. More of a rivalry there with WVU and UC.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2016 10:09 AM by RUScarlets.)
01-19-2016 10:08 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Gordon Gee championing Cincinnati to The Big 12 makes me very happy. After his comments, while he was at Ohio State, about Big East schools, it is rather satisfying to see him trumpeting their value. I am hopeful that The Big 12 expands with Memphis, UConn, Cincinnati and Houston and adds a CCG to bring some form of symmetry to college football.
CJ
01-19-2016 10:09 AM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
Add BYU and UConn....maybe for football only???

If that works, then add Cincinnati and possibly San Diego State (geography is overrated)

split into 7 team divisions, with Texas and Oklahoma in separate divisions, similar to the FSU-Miami split in the ACC
01-19-2016 10:17 AM
Advertisement

bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I can see why WVU would want eastern expansion but not so sure why OU would want eastern expansion. I like OU going for an old big 8 division of:

Big 14

west: OU, OK state, KU, K state, Io state, Colorado State, BYU

east: texas, texas tech, tcu, baylor, WVU, X, X

let them pick whoever they want. My guess is boren gets 2 out of his 3 demands, expansion to 12 and title game. Texas will never give up the LHN for a big 12 Network.
01-19-2016 10:20 AM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

(01-19-2016 08:35 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  

BYU should be #1 IMO....they bring the most football bang for the buck

If you want a conference network, BYU brings content.

UConn brings a good university, top-notch basketball, and gets you in top northeastern markets....

Cincinnati is a good pick. They have a good university and growing football program

Houston is growing their program as well, and if you put Texas and OU in different divisions, it would be smart to stick Houston with Oklahoma (the Sooner preference)
01-19-2016 10:21 AM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

(01-19-2016 09:12 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  Go with UConn. I never thought I'd be vouching for them in the Big 12, but honestly, it's a top notch Bball program and a national brand in that regard, along with solid academics. The flights to Manhattan and Des Moines aren't terrible, no worse than traveling to Florida and Memphis. Just get her done.

I agree, I think UConn would be a great choice

Great University, great bball, great market representation

I wonder who's academics are better...Oklahoma or UConn?
01-19-2016 10:25 AM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

(01-19-2016 10:20 AM)bluesox Wrote:  I can see why WVU would want eastern expansion but not so sure why OU would want eastern expansion. I like OU going for an old big 8 division of:

Big 14

west: OU, OK state, KU, K state, Io state, Colorado State, BYU

east: texas, texas tech, tcu, baylor, WVU, X, X

let them pick whoever they want. My guess is boren gets 2 out of his 3 demands, expansion to 12 and title game. Texas will never give up the LHN for a big 12 Network.

In that set up, scratch Colorado State and add Houston. Oklahoma will want Houston in that division, and I'm guessing so will all of those other teams. Houston gives everyone a trip to hot recruiting, a big city, and warm weather

BYU will be competitive in whatever division they are in

Add Cincinnati and UConn to the east

done
01-19-2016 10:30 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.