Wow, OU president putting the Big 12 on notice
Lou_C Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State
http://m.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/john...l?mode=jqm

And..

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ou...7e19e.html

In a nutshell...wants Big 12 to expand, add a championship game, get rid of the LHN and start a Big 12 network.

And he wants it all at once and soon. And if not...Oklahoma is willing to walk. They're willing to challenge the GOR and have always been in contact with other conferences.

This could get crazy. If you're an ACC fan, at least one concerned with revenue, you DON'T want this to happen. If the SEC and B1G carve up OU/Texas and friends, seemingly insurmountable deficits to those conferences become completely hopeless. ACC is better off being a close fifth of five than an incredibly distant fourth of four.

Until the day when realignment puts ND and/or Texas in the ACC, we need status quo. I don't think it's inconceivable that such a day could come, but I have a hard time believing that day is now if the spit hits the fan.
01-15-2016 12:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
This could be great for the ACC. If Oklahoma leaves then the B12 is toast. ESPN would likely move Texas & friends to the ACC & turn the LHN into an ACCN. With a P4 the CFP likely becomes champs only brings ND all in. We need a commissioner that can pull this off. There's any number of scenarios as to how this can play out.
01-15-2016 12:25 PM
Lou_C Offline
1st String

RE: Wow, OU president putting the Big 12 on notice
(01-15-2016 12:25 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  This could be great for the ACC. If Oklahoma leaves then the B12 is toast. ESPN would likely move Texas & friends to the ACC & turn the LHN into an ACCN. With a P4 the CFP likely becomes champs only brings ND all in. We need a commissioner that can pull this off. There's any number of scenarios as to how this can play out.

It could play out that way, but Texas has it's choice of the B1G, SEC or PAC as well, with reasons for or against any.

Is the ACC in position RIGHT NOW, with the right commissioner, and the right TV partner, to win that sweepstakes?

I personally don't like the timing.
01-15-2016 12:30 PM
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
(01-15-2016 12:30 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  
(01-15-2016 12:25 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  This could be great for the ACC. If Oklahoma leaves then the B12 is toast. ESPN would likely move Texas & friends to the ACC & turn the LHN into an ACCN. With a P4 the CFP likely becomes champs only brings ND all in. We need a commissioner that can pull this off. There's any number of scenarios as to how this can play out.

It could play out that way, but Texas has it's choice of the B1G, SEC or PAC as well, with reasons for or against any.

Is the ACC in position RIGHT NOW, with the right commissioner, and the right TV partner, to win that sweepstakes?

converting LHN to ACCN seems much more viable and profitable than converting to B12N due to demographics and footprint. I'd count out Pac12 and BTN since neither network is associated with ESPN like LHN. having swofford preside over such a thing is...well, terrifying.
01-15-2016 12:34 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

Powers that be have already made it known that if Texas goes anywhere it will be east, not west or north. Texas won't go to The SEC because of A&M. The thought and threat of being blocked by A&M wont sit well in Austin so they won't give the Aggies that opportunity. Couple that with The ACC offering a Notre Dame - type deal, The ACC will have another program...

This is happening just as I predicted. No where is that guy that was telling us yesterday how happy OU was in The Big 12.
CJ
01-15-2016 12:51 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
He put it all out there didn't he! Sounds like he's been frustrated with Big 12 decisions for a while. If I had to guess where they would end up I'd say PAC 12.
01-15-2016 01:01 PM
Advertisement

TopCoog2016 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UH
(01-15-2016 12:51 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Powers that be have already made it known that if Texas goes anywhere it will be east, not west or north. Texas won't go to The SEC because of A&M. The thought and threat of being blocked by A&M wont sit well in Austin so they won't give the Aggies that opportunity. Couple that with The ACC offering a Notre Dame - type deal, The ACC will have another program...

This is happening just as I predicted. No where is that guy that was telling us yesterday how happy OU was in The Big 12.
CJ

Jim is right about this. The Big 12 has few major markets and cannot support their own network as long as the LN exists. There is a reason why four major members bailed out in the last few years.
01-15-2016 01:04 PM
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
(01-15-2016 12:51 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Powers that be have already made it known that if Texas goes anywhere it will be east, not west or north. Texas won't go to The SEC because of A&M. The thought and threat of being blocked by A&M wont sit well in Austin so they won't give the Aggies that opportunity. Couple that with The ACC offering a Notre Dame - type deal, The ACC will have another program...

CJ

texas won't get a ND type deal. it will be all in.
01-15-2016 01:07 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
Talk about leverage, B1G contract coming up, PAC 12 network issues, LHN losing huge money, pro rata pay for additions and the fear of them leaving with OSU.
Boren just grabbed Texas by the throat and squeezed.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2016 01:24 PM by Dasville.)
01-15-2016 01:17 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
(01-15-2016 12:09 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  http://m.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/john...l?mode=jqm

Quote:In a nearly 25-minute telephone interview with the Tulsa World on Thursday evening, Boren sketched out a plan for the Big 12 to grow out of what he called a “little brother” status and compete again with the Atlantic Coast, Big Ten, Pac-12 and Southeastern conferences.

Waitament...

I was told by the football schools contingent that the ACC was seen as the 5th-best "little brother" P5 league. Seems clear that the OU president doesn't see it that way...

Quote:“I think if we try to do it piecemeal, we’re just gonna kind of end up with just a Band-Aid on top,” Boren said. “I think we need a comprehensive plan to strengthen the conference and give it equal status with the other Power 5 conferences.”

Waitament...

I was SURE that the football schools contingent was eager to remind us that the ACC was the "little brother", unequal member of the P5...

Quote:If a league title game with 10 teams comes to pass, it will blow up in the Big 12’s face.

So before I continue reading the article, I think OU will end up in the B1G, reuniting with Nebraska and having that traditional game re-established.

Ok, I'll keep reading now....

Quote:Asked if OU has a standing invitation to the Big Ten, Boren said there are no “official” invitations, but said there are “always, always informal conversations that we get approached (with) from time to time. … I think there are always opportunities for Oklahoma.”

Whatcha know 'bout that...?

Now, who (from the Big XII) would join OU (because nobody else is leaving the ACC for the B1G)...?

Time to read the second article...

07-coffee3
01-15-2016 01:19 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I agree but I believe we let our greedy little buddy in Chicago force that. Delaney has a huge chubby for Texas. He'll offer full membership to The Big Ten. Swofford will offer the Notre Dame type deal and Texas will jump on it. Delaney, being the whiner he is will draft legislation and propose to NCAA committee that teams be full members of conferences to have CFP access. In doing some Jimmy boy will drive Texas (and Notre Dame) into The ACC.

(01-15-2016 01:07 PM)ren.hoek Wrote:  

CJ

texas won't get a ND type deal. it will be all in.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2016 01:27 PM by CardinalJim.)
01-15-2016 01:21 PM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Some unholy Big12-ACC merger would be the rebirth of the original SoCon. Hideously huge. Diverse interests. Programs so far apart as to be laughable (Wake-Texas). And with 5 times worse geography to contend with. I got one word to describe that: Doomed.
01-15-2016 01:24 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

From this day forward the Big 12 needs to be referred to as "Little Brother" out of respect to my favorite Big 12 President David Boren. It will disrespectful not too.....
CJ
01-15-2016 01:25 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

(01-15-2016 12:30 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  

IMHO, Texas doesn't have SEC as one of its choices. And, if they wanted to be in the PAC, they'd have been in the PAC already. That train left the station.
01-15-2016 01:26 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

Agreed... we cherry pick who we want, as long as we leave West Virginia and The Dude out, I'm all in.
CJ

(01-15-2016 01:24 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Some unholy Big12-ACC merger would be the rebirth of the original SoCon. Hideously huge. Diverse interests. Programs so far apart as to be laughable (Wake-Texas). And with 5 times worse geography to contend with. I got one word to describe that: Doomed.
01-15-2016 01:27 PM
Lou_C Offline
1st String

Keep in mind that the "powers that be" that said Texas would look east are no longer the powers that be.
01-15-2016 01:40 PM
Advertisement

nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
Thoughts:

* I agree with Lou, this isn't good for the ACC

* A big 12/ACC merger wont' work well (as noted above)

* Texas will never give up their network. Those that believe it will aren't following their current situation very well.

* ACC with an independent ND & Texas......equals problems.....but maybe it is same problems we have now which are OK AS IS....just can't get worse.
01-15-2016 01:41 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(01-15-2016 01:19 PM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  [Image: 3HqHuFZ.jpg]

Waitament...

Which conference just got pimpslapped back to reality by the voting on it's first major initiative?
01-15-2016 01:44 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

Reading those two pieces has reinforced what I have already believed -- despite the rhetoric from our Football Schools Contingent:

The Big XII is lying on a huge fault line.

----

Man, Boren simply put it out there...

He all but indicated that OU is heading to the B1G at some point when the timing is right.
That timing will likely depend on guaranteeing that Oklahoma State has an SEC landing spot b/c that's the only way it'll work, because the B1G doesn't need two Oklahoma schools.
01-15-2016 01:48 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
If OU does go to the B1G I consider the B1G to have reached original SoCon level instability. The only thing holding that band of REALLY far apart REALLY diverse interests together is huge paychecks. If at any point those paychecks are no longer bigger than everywhere else, there would be great instability along the fringes (Maryland, Nebraska, Oklahoma). I think Rutgers is still too powerless to do much more than go "WOW GUYS LOOK AT THESE NYC TV SET NUMBERS RIGHT??"

The core of B1G will likely remain stable ... but those fringe schools share nothing in common with the rank and file rust belt B1G.
01-15-2016 02:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.