Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Houston gets into silly PC
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/...760140.php
The Houston school board voted 5-4 Thursday to rename four campuses named after Confederate loyalists and postponed decisions on four others amid community concerns.

Trustees agreed to kickstart the process of renaming Henry Grady, Richard Dowling and Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson middle schools and Robert E. Lee High School.

Now, a committee at each school, including a teacher, student, parent and alumni, will be charged with proposing a new name. The policy calls for the superintendent then to make recommendations to the board for a vote – to take place in May, according to the meeting agenda.

Board president Rhonda Skillern-Jones had included eight schools on the list for renaming, but trustees agreed to remove four – Lanier and Johnston middle schools and Davis and Reagan high schools – to allow for more discussion. Trustees who represent those four schools made motions to exclude them.

Newly elected trustee Jolanda Jones, who represents Lanier, posted Wednesday on Twitter that she supported changing the school's name. However, on Thursday she proposed removing the campus from the immediate renaming list, saying she wanted to host a meeting at the school.

"Sidney Lanier was a confederate soldier despite what some say," Jones posted on social media. "I would vote 2 change an anti-Semitic name if asked 2."

Numerous parents and students from Lanier dressed in the school's purple color and urged the board to keep the name. Sidney Lanier, they said, is better known as a poet than as a soldier in the Confederate army. They also said they had little time to discuss the issue because the school was not on the renaming list floated months ago.

"This is clearly a very important question, and it brings out a lot of emotion on both sides of the issue," Adriane Arnold, president of the Lanier parent group, told the board. "It is something our kids will be discussing at Lanier moving forward."

Trustee Harvin Moore tried to postpone the renaming item "indefinitely," but it failed on a 4-5 vote. Those who supported postponement – and then voted against the name changes – were Moore, Anna Eastman, Mike Lunceford and Greg Meyers.

All five minority trustees voted for the name changes.

Moore and Eastman said they were concerned that the renaming proposal and several other items were placed hastily on the board agenda by the president.

"I don't think my vote represents pro-celebration of the Confederacy at all," Eastman said.

Before the vote, James Douglas, president of the NAACP of Houston, urged trustees to eliminate Confederate loyalists from school names.

"Do I forgive them? Yes," Douglas said. "But I don't want to honor them. I think it's a travesty that this country honors people who create treason. They were willing to destroy this country in order to treat my forefathers as inhuman."

Skillern-Jones had backed the idea of renaming schools soon after the June 17 shooting deaths of nine black church worshippers by an alleged white supremacist in Charleston, S.C. State Sen. Rodney Ellis, D-Houston, also had promoted name changes, after his successful push for HISD in 2014 to eliminate school mascots offensive to Native Americans.

The board approved a policy in October that allowed trustees to initiate school name changes if deemed "in the best interest" of HISD. The policy says school names "must respect cultural differences and values."

Skillern-Jones added several controversial items to the agenda, including banning suspensions of young students and changing the district's school funding model.

Eastman, however, said: "We are in a time where our focus needs to be 100 percent on finding a new superintendent and making sure that our 89 under-performing schools have everything they need. And these discussions are important, but they have a time and place to happen."

Trustees on Thursday also selected Manuel Rodriguez Jr. to succeed Skillern-Jones as the board president – a particularly important post as they search for a new superintendent in coming months. Rodriguez, elected in 2003 and one of the longest-serving trustees, also was board president in 2007.
01-14-2016 11:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
Oh hell...

Sent from #ClutchCity using Tapatalk
01-14-2016 11:03 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
RE: Houston gets into silly PC
No white kids go to those schools anyways.
01-14-2016 11:05 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

The 4 that were temporarily removed were:
Jeff Davis (longtime high school)
John Reagan HS-soldier during the Texas Republic era and pro-union until Texas seceded. Served as postmaster general for the confederates and urged cooperation after the war (for which he was vilified). Eventually he was forgiven and had a long career in public service (US Rep, Senator, Texas Railroad commission, etc.)
Sidney Lanier MS-he really was known primarily as a poet.
AS Johnston MS-a hero of the Texas revolution who died at Shiloh in the Civil War.

The 3 latter ones were honored primarily for their non-Confederate service.
01-14-2016 11:13 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(01-14-2016 11:05 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  No white kids go to those schools anyways.

Most of these schools are predominately Hispanic now.
01-14-2016 11:14 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

Not sure what Henry Grady's connection to Texas was, but he was a leader of the "New South", encouraging industrialization. Born in 1850, I don't think he served in the Confederacy. He was editor of what is now the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. But Atlanta, far more politically correct than Houston, has its public hospital and a majority Black high school named after him.

Dick Dowling lead a force of 50 men manning artillery at Sabine Pass and stopped a Yankee invasion force of 5,000 from invading Texas. It was a remarkable feat. He was also a prominent early Houston businessman.

Stonewall Jackson doesn't really have any connection to Texas that I am aware of.

Robert E. Lee is revered pretty much across the south. I can think of at least 4 other Lee high schools in Texas.

Jeff Davis did serve as an officer in Texas and was a hero in the battles in northern Mexico, just below the Texas border during the Mexican-American War, although the HS was undoubtedly named because of his Confederate Presidency.

I don't have any problem with Jackson and Davis getting renamed. I understand Lee but strongly disagree. The rest of the changes are just ridiculous. It is basically saying no white person alive in the 1860s can have anything named after him. I suspect Jefferson and Washington will be next.
01-14-2016 11:24 PM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
I am sure that these moves will completely eradicate any racism in Houston.
01-14-2016 11:26 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
I don't even care. I do care but that care is faint.
01-15-2016 01:25 AM
pharaoh0 Offline
Triggered by Microaggressions

I Root For: Duke, L'ville
So, when do we start changing all of the Woodrow Wilson stuff?
01-15-2016 02:13 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

(01-15-2016 02:13 PM)pharaoh0 Wrote:  So, when do we start changing all of the Woodrow Wilson stuff?

Princeton is working on it.
01-15-2016 02:21 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(01-15-2016 02:21 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(01-15-2016 02:13 PM)pharaoh0 Wrote:  So, when do we start changing all of the Woodrow Wilson stuff?

Princeton is working on it.

fk it...why stop there?

george and thomas had a slave or two and most certainly smoked a few doobies....

http://www.mountvernon.org/george-washin...n-slavery/

Quote:Despite having been an active slave holder for 56 years, George Washington struggled with the institution of slavery and spoke frequently of his desire to end the practice. At the end of this life Washington made the bold step to free his slaves in his 1799 will - the only slave-holding Founding Father to do so.

Quote:George Washington first became a slave owner at the early age of eleven.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Jef...nd_slavery

Quote:Starting in 1767 at the age of twenty-one, Jefferson inherited 5,000 acres of land and fifty-two slaves by his father's will. In 1768 Jefferson began construction of his Monticello plantation. Through his marriage to Martha Wayles in 1772 and his father-in-law John Wayles inheritance in 1773 Jefferson inherited two plantations and 135 slaves. By 1776 Jefferson was one of the largest planters in Virginia. However, the value of his property (land and slaves) was increasingly offset by his growing debts, which made it very difficult to free his slaves and thereby lose them as assets.

denying one's history is denying one of a prosperous future - ME

it's insane what folks think matters in scope.....line 1 of sig rules the roost...
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2016 02:39 PM by stinkfist.)
01-15-2016 02:37 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

The Democrats are already starting to disown Jefferson. They used to have traditional annual Jeffersonian dinners, but are changing the name.
01-15-2016 02:39 PM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
(01-14-2016 11:14 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(01-14-2016 11:05 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  No white kids go to those schools anyways.

Then name them after famous Hispanics. How about Freddie Prinz?
01-15-2016 03:07 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline

(01-15-2016 03:07 PM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  
(01-14-2016 11:14 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Then name them after famous Hispanics. How about Freddie Prinz?

chico and the man have gotten their revenge.....
01-15-2016 03:08 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(01-15-2016 02:39 PM)bullet Wrote:  The Democrats are already starting to disown Jefferson. They used to have traditional annual Jeffersonian dinners, but are changing the name.

That is pretty sad. Founding fathers were some really intelligent, and fearless men.
They really had no business winning that war and would been put to death by British,
if the war was lost.
01-15-2016 03:43 PM
stinkfist Offline

(01-15-2016 03:43 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(01-15-2016 02:39 PM)bullet Wrote:  The Democrats are already starting to disown Jefferson. They used to have traditional annual Jeffersonian dinners, but are changing the name.

That is pretty sad. Founding fathers were some really intelligent, and fearless men.
They really had no business winning that war and would been put to death by British,
if the war was lost.

XACLY!

they would hang most people today based on principle alone.....another historical irony logged....
01-15-2016 04:05 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(01-15-2016 03:43 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

if the war was lost.

He's not at the same level, but a lot of us feel the same way about Robert E. Lee.

I have no problem with Texas getting rid of Stonewall Jackson and certainly no objection to getting rid of Jeff Davis who was incompetent as a president. But Lee transcends Virginia.

And the rest were local. What Dick Dowling did was like what the Spartans did at Thermoplyae, except that he won.
01-15-2016 05:14 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

Actually, Grady, Lanier, Johnston and Lee are in predominately white areas, but the student population is different. Dowling has turned Hispanic, Davis has long been Hispanic, Reagan has long been Hispanic but is gentrifying. Jackson is the only one that I believe is in a majority Black area.
01-15-2016 05:21 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

Made the front page of the Atlanta Journal Constitution today. Couldn't find the link on-line yet.

AJC is pretty liberal and PC, but most of their quotes talked about how ridiculous the renaming has gotten. "Look, there on one page in a speech in 1874 he said something offensive!" Of course, they focused on their founder, Grady.
01-16-2016 10:56 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
People who start this need a good swift crotch kick.
01-16-2016 12:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.