http://www.oudaily.com/sports/oklahoma-f...l?mode=jqm
01-13-2016 09:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
RE: Boren - still disadvantaged
It's already a dead conference. On its last breaths.

Looking forward to having Oklahoma join the B1G.
01-13-2016 09:29 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
Boren - still disadvantaged
They don't want to die like Nebraska has
01-13-2016 09:32 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
Boren clearly would jumped at chance to get to the PAC-12 and probably would for other based on other comments. I don't think anyone will take Oklahoma State with them though and I think the Cowboys aren't going to be invited just to get the Sooners (unless Texas is also along for the ride).

Really though, I think Oklahoma is the one school whom has the most going for it in the current situation and would be the most ill served moving somewhere else. Oklahoma has limited in state recruiting, but gets a ton from neighboring Texas. They have unique advantages there given a) the Red River Shootout is the biggest rivalry in the conference on a national level, b) they play a ton of games in Texas, but they (Oklahoma) are the king level name rather than the other Texas schools in most those games.

Oklahoma isn't going to disappear if they go to another conference, but they will go from being in the heart of the Big 12 and with stronger Texas recruiting advantages than anyone besides Texas and Texas A&M, to having to compete much harder. Given their level of success in the Big 12 and their familiarity with so much of it, I think it would be a big mistake on their part to push any other direction unless circumstances implied the Big 12 dynamic was going to change for the worse.
01-13-2016 09:40 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
That's odd. When I postulated OU would be unhappy with this development, all the usual suspects attacked it assured us that the Big 12 is the best conference evah and that everyone is happy and content!
01-13-2016 09:57 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
(01-13-2016 09:57 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  That's odd. When I postulated OU would be unhappy with this development, all the usual suspects attacked it assured us that the Big 12 is the best conference evah and that everyone is happy and content!

Perhaps the current "usual suspects" are of a lesser quality now? 03-wink

Others besides yourself (chief among them H1 and JR) have been saying for a while now that Boren wants out and the conference championship was only one of three things he has cited. The other two are mentioned in the article above - conference TV network and expansion.

Of course the likelihood of either of those happening are slim to none. So Boren will continue to lay the foundation for pulling OU out of the B12 at some point in the future.

Cheers,
Neil
01-13-2016 10:12 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Texas killed SWC with their ego and greed.
Deja Vu again. Texas killed Big 12 with their ego and greed.

Boren at least saw potentials of candidates from both MWC and AAC joining them, and BYU, but Texas does not went to share their biggest pie.

Texas should go Independent so the others in the Big 12 can expand to their numbers that Boren wants, and get a CCG with a tv network. As I see it, Texas is getting more money than any other Big 12 schools. Oklahoma is second. If you have an unequal in money going to the schools? It causes these rifts.
01-13-2016 10:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
How bad would the committee punish the Big 12 if they don't stage a mulligan, err, title game next year?

It's one thing to be unable to give the committee a 13th data point. It's another to choose not to give the committee a 13th data point.
01-13-2016 10:24 PM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I'm at a loss to explain

1) why anybody is opposed to jumping to 12 in the big 12
2) why the other leagues let the big 12 get a 10 team rule

i guess you got throw in the big 10 and sec f'd over the acc and ND...nice guys.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2016 10:39 PM by bluesox.)
01-13-2016 10:32 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(01-13-2016 09:28 PM)jaredf29 Wrote:  How dysfunctional is this league?
http://www.oudaily.com/sports/oklahoma-f...l?mode=jqm

Wrong question.

How dysfunctional is David Boren?

He was a former Democratic Senator from Oklahoma. So it would be hard to measure how dysfunctional. He managed to get Missouri to leave when it looked like things were stabilizing.

This is the type of comment you would make after the Big 12 meetings in February if you got no progress on things you thought were important.
01-13-2016 10:33 PM
Frog in the Kitchen Sink Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU
As Boren insinuates, with no conference network expansion doesn't make sense.

If the Big 12 expands the first domino has to be the conference network or some similar vehicle. Then you can start thinking about expansion.

I think the CCG is separate from the network and expansion issues. Yeah you could do all three at once, but now you don't have to.
01-13-2016 10:41 PM
Advertisement

lew240z Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Wyoming
(01-13-2016 10:19 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Texas killed SWC with their ego and greed.

No, David. SMU killed the SWC with their cheating and subsequent death penalty.
01-13-2016 10:47 PM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
boren is an idiot

OU makes more money without a conference network than they would with one

they were always against a conference network and now he is pretending that OU does not make more money without one or that OU wanted one all along

at least the chancellor of Nebraska actually had the guts to admit on record that NU was always in favor of unequal revenue sharing in the Big 12 and that NU was always in favor of individual networks in the Big 12 and was further along than Texas on starting one before they ran off to the big 10

that is much more than you can say about A&M that was threatening to sue the Big 12 for an unequal share of the money left by NU and CU before A&M ran off as well

and now boren wants to try and be like john sharp....just a guy that makes a lot of stupid public comments and a lot of bad decisions as long as it tries to poke at Texas (never mind those ideas and shots fail and Texas just shrugs them off)
01-13-2016 10:49 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(01-13-2016 10:32 PM)bluesox Wrote:  I'm at a loss to explain

i guess you got throw in the big 10 and sec f'd over the acc and ND...nice guys.

1) The lack of truly attractive candidates? That is not a diss on any of them, but even though some are better than those already in the P5 conferences, the ones they exceed for the most part have been there for a while.

2) I think that had the Big Ten or the SEC denied the proposed amendment out right it might have been interpreted by fans and even the media as possibly assisting in the Big 12 being torn apart (should that even happen). Now that the Big 12 has their championship game without expanding, if it implodes it will likely be perceived as internal issues causing it and not outside forces such as the two conferences who have the most to gain by attempting to get a disgruntled Boren and Oklahoma.

As the cherry on top, Delany got the satisfaction of ensuring that the ACC got nothing it wanted. In his delusional state he probably imagined that the ACC was trying to wrangle a way to get partial member ND in as a potential CCG participant. As if either ND or the other 14 ACC institutions would have wanted that.

The cherry on top is only a hunch on my part.

Cheers,
Neil
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2016 10:51 PM by omniorange.)
01-13-2016 10:50 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU

What is going to happen is already inevitable. All they are doing is creating more excuses for why they are doing it rather than simply saying the truth.

No one wants to jump to 12 because of the candidates for expansion. No one wants to jump to 12 because they cant agree on how to create divisions.

The other leagues did this to "call the bluff".
01-13-2016 10:51 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(01-13-2016 10:50 PM)omniorange Wrote:  

1) The lack of truly attractive candidates? That is not a diss on any of them, but even though some are better than those already in the P5 conferences, the ones they exceed for the most part have been there for a while.

2) I think that had the Big Ten or the SEC denied the proposed amendment out right it might have been interpreted by fans and even the media as possibly assisting in the Big 12 being torn apart (should that even happen). Now that the Big 12 has their championship game without expanding, if it implodes it will likely be perceived as internal issues causing it and not outside forces such as the two conferences who have the most to gain by attempting to get a disgruntled Boren and Oklahoma.

As the cherry on top, Delany got the satisfaction of ensuring that the ACC got nothing it wanted. In his delusional state he probably imagined that the ACC was trying to wrangle a way to get partial member ND in as a potential CCG participant. As if either ND or the other 14 ACC institutions would have wanted that.

The cherry on top is only a hunch on my part.

Cheers,
Neil

Epic Applause

Very good. I don't know about the ND stuff but it was a pretty slick maneuver by The Big Ten and The SEC.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2016 10:53 PM by He1nousOne.)
01-13-2016 10:52 PM
Advertisement

TodgeRodge Offline
All American

(01-13-2016 10:47 PM)lew240z Wrote:  
(01-13-2016 10:19 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Texas killed SWC with their ego and greed.

No, David. SMU killed the SWC with their cheating and subsequent death penalty.

more so it was the inability for a large portion of the conference to remain competitive without cheating when they were all after the same recruits and they all offered the same things as many other teams in the conference

you had 4 Texas private schools and 4 Texas public schools and after a while that sifted to about 2 or MAYBE 3 good teams year in and year out and a bunch of teams that were 3-8 (11 season games back then)

eventually recruits just avoided the conference all together and it was even hurting the top teams as well because recruits wanted to go places that offered bigger name games more frequently
01-13-2016 10:52 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(01-13-2016 10:49 PM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  boren is an idiot

they were always against a conference network and now he is pretending that OU does not make more money without one or that OU wanted one all along

at least the chancellor of Nebraska actually had the guts to admit on record that NU was always in favor of unequal revenue sharing in the Big 12 and that NU was always in favor of individual networks in the Big 12 and was further along than Texas on starting one before they ran off to the big 10

that is much more than you can say about A&M that was threatening to sue the Big 12 for an unequal share of the money left by NU and CU before A&M ran off as well

and now boren wants to try and be like john sharp....just a guy that makes a lot of stupid public comments and a lot of bad decisions as long as it tries to poke at Texas (never mind those ideas and shots fail and Texas just shrugs them off)

Maybe Boren isn't an idiot? Maybe he has one or two attractive offers that he knows will make OU more $$$ than the B12 conference revenue share and what they make on third tier rights?

Cheers,
Neil
01-13-2016 10:53 PM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

(01-13-2016 10:53 PM)omniorange Wrote:  
(01-13-2016 10:49 PM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  boren is an idiot

Maybe Boren isn't an idiot? Maybe he has one or two attractive offers that he knows will make OU more $$$ than the B12 conference revenue share and what they make on third tier rights?

Cheers,
Neil

well lets go over those options

1. the PAC 12 was something that OU and OkState looked at when their fans were upset that OU looked like it was sitting around with no other options other than Texas deciding what Texas wanted to do and hopefully that was staying in the Big 12

so if OU wanted the PAC 12 or if the PAC 12 was a more attractive option then OU should have taken that option then

and as of now we know the finances prove 100% that OU makes more money in the Big 12 and there is little chance that adding OU to the AC 12 will measurably move the needle on the PAC12n much less to the point that revenues would jump for all 13+ teams.....again if OU (or OU and little buddy) moves the PAC12n why would OU just not make that money themselves as they do now

2. ACC....well the Big 12 makes more than the ACC right now without counting any third tier rights

so again if OU moves the ACCn that much more forward why would OU share all that leverage with 14+ other teams

3. the SEC....well I just did the math for that

and besides the same loud mouth that is talking for OU now is the same loud mouth that said in the past that OU was not really wanting to go to the SEC

so if OU wants to go to the SEC (or the PAC 12) just a couple of years later well what kind of idiots are running that place

4. the Big 10 has never been interested in OU and the Big 10 was not interested in OU with Texas which is part of why Texas was not interested in the Big 10

so what options do you think OU has....maybe OU needs to go to the MWC or the AAC especially since they seem so in love with the AAC teams and they can revive the MWC network or they can get a big new TV contract for the AAC that is coming due and they can get an AAC network as well

have fun with that!
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2016 11:04 PM by TodgeRodge.)
01-13-2016 11:02 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(01-13-2016 11:02 PM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  well lets go over those options

1. the PAC 12 was something that OU and OkState looked at when their fans were upset that OU looked like it was sitting around with no other options other than Texas deciding what Texas wanted to do and hopefully that was staying in the Big 12

so if OU wanted the PAC 12 or if the PAC 12 was a more attractive option then OU should have taken that option then

OU didn't have that option because the Pac-12 said no to them...

https://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1267981
Quote:Multiple sources confirm to Orangebloods.com that the Pac-12 notified key members of the Big 12 early Tuesday that it would not expand, causing the nine remaining members of the Big 12 to begin working feverishly to iron out differences.

No one expects Texas A&M to remain in the Big 12. A&M officials declared again Tuesday they plan leaving the Big 12 after this season (for the Southeastern Conference).

One of the first steps the nine-member Big 12 took was to notify Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe the league members want a change in leadership, sources said.

Missouri chancellor Brady Deaton led the charge on Tuesday after the Pac-12 notified Oklahoma that its members would not accept OU and Oklahoma State without Texas, sources said.

The Longhorns, who had been hoping the Big 12 could stay alive from the beginning, got the news early Tuesday from Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott that he didn't have the votes to expand.

Sources told Orangebloods.com at least six Pac-12 presidents opposed further expansion, and Larry Scott needed nine of 12 votes to approve any new additions.
01-13-2016 11:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.