Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If We Had to Merge to 4 Conferences What Would You Think of Something Like This:
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
If We Had to Merge to 4 Conferences What Would You Think of Something Like This:
Big 10

East: Indiana, Maryland, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers

Central: Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin

West: Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Rice, Texas

SEC

East: Duke, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia

Central: Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

West: Arkansas, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M

New ACC/Big 12

North: Boston College, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

South: Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami, N.C. State

West: Baylor, Brigham Young, Iowa State, Kansas State, T.C.U., Texas Tech

PAC

North: Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, Washington, Washington State, Utah

South: Arizona, Arizona State, California, Colorado, U.C.L.A., U.S.C.
01-13-2016 12:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
It's somewhat balanced & I could see it being stabile. It's a good setup with nice divisions. I don't see how it happens though since it would require NC, Duke & Virginia moving first.

Rice is interesting. They have the academics but I'm not sure about the athletics. An alternative would be to replace them with either Baylor, TCU or TT. Houston could replace them in the ACC/B12.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2016 03:02 AM by Lenvillecards.)
01-13-2016 02:56 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

RE: If We Had to Merge to 4 Conferences What Would You Think of Something Like This:
(01-13-2016 02:56 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  It's somewhat balanced & I could see it being stabile. It's a good setup with nice divisions. I don't see how it happens though since it would require NC, Duke & Virginia moving first.

Rice is interesting. They have the academics but I'm not sure about the athletics. An alternative would be to replace them with either Baylor, TCU or TT. Houston could replace them in the ACC/B12.

That's all true about Rice, but they have long had a close association with Texas and I couldn't see the Horns moving to the Big 10 without another Texas school and they are the only ones that could meet the academic requirement outside of A&M.

I thought the new ACC/Big 12 was a pretty good football conference.

As for UNC, Duke & UVa if those were the only ACC products moving besides the merger it would be because those 3 are the ones that ESPN would want to shelter from Delany because of hoops, Olympic sports and their markets. So ESPN pays each of those about 20 million more, but they cut their overhead by half by sharing or cutting the other 11 by sharing them all with FOX who would give their left nut to get into the Southeast.

The SEC isn't offended because Delany isn't next door in North Carolina or Atlanta. Delany lands a balanced Western Division which helps to complete his conference and his presidents are happy because they are all AAU. The SEC is happy because they pick up two great states, get more competitive in basketball, and land DFW and a new state to the West.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2016 09:04 AM by JRsec.)
01-13-2016 08:58 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
RE: If We Had to Merge to 4 Conferences What Would You Think of Something Like This:
(01-13-2016 12:00 AM)JRsec Wrote:  Big 10

SEC

West: Arkansas, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M

New ACC/Big 12

North: Boston College, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

PAC

Meh!
01-13-2016 09:28 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

(01-13-2016 08:58 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(01-13-2016 02:56 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  It's somewhat balanced & I could see it being stabile. It's a good setup with nice divisions. I don't see how it happens though since it would require NC, Duke & Virginia moving first.

That's all true about Rice, but they have long had a close association with Texas and I couldn't see the Horns moving to the Big 10 without another Texas school and they are the only ones that could meet the academic requirement outside of A&M.

I thought the new ACC/Big 12 was a pretty good football conference.

As for UNC, Duke & UVa if those were the only ACC products moving besides the merger it would be because those 3 are the ones that ESPN would want to shelter from Delany because of hoops, Olympic sports and their markets. So ESPN pays each of those about 20 million more, but they cut their overhead by half by sharing or cutting the other 11 by sharing them all with FOX who would give their left nut to get into the Southeast.

The SEC isn't offended because Delany isn't next door in North Carolina or Atlanta. Delany lands a balanced Western Division which helps to complete his conference and his presidents are happy because they are all AAU. The SEC is happy because they pick up two great states, get more competitive in basketball, and land DFW and a new state to the West.

I agree that Texas would take someone with them. Rice is the stronger academic school, top 20 in USNews, but Baylor & TCU are strong as well, both being top 80. That would come down to Texas & B1G preference.

This ACC/B12 is good but I would have concerns. The west division, for example, is missing an established brand & would fit nicely in the PAC as well. That move could prove to be catastrophic financially for the ACC/B12. Would TCU & Baylor be able to keep up their current level of success in that division? BYU & ND being in the same conference is interesting as well, that would bode well for a network & possibly streaming.

NC, Duke & Virginia aren't hurting for money & according to them there is a connection between their endowments & ACC membership. While others would jump at the chance to earn an extra $20 million I'm not convinced that they would. Would ESPN cutting that overhead be worth giving Fox markets on the east coast & the southeast? Depends on what the numbers say.

These would be great moves for the SEC & B1G. They might not give ESPN a choice but getting NC, Duke & Virginia to move from a intact ACC could prove to be tricky. Could be possible to strong arm them at the end of the GOR.
01-13-2016 11:16 AM
CintiFan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Ohio St./ Cinti

SEC

New ACC/Big 12

PAC

I agree that Texas will want to take a top rival with it if it goes to the B1G, but I don't see the B1G taking Rice (Private school, too small, quirky). Texas and the B1G would prefer Oklahoma instead. Oklahoma is not AAU, but it might get the 'Nebraska' exception in order to rekindle the annual Oklahoma/Nebraska game as a B1G match-up. I also don't see the B1G taking both Kansas and Missouri and, if the ACC starts to break apart, the B1G will certainly be focused on getting ACC schools rather than adding another western school.

The PAC will not want to get shut out. So I think they'll add a couple too.

I don't think the new ACC/Big 12 is viable unless there's another alpha dog in it. With both FSU and Notre Dame as anchors, I would think it is a more attractive alternative for Texas than the B1G.

The SEC seems to be the least likely to expand because they don't need additional geography and don't need more alpha dog football programs. Academically minded schools like Duke and Virginia would not choose the SEC if there was an alternative, and the B1G will be the choice. It may be that North Carolina follows Duke and Virginia rather than the other way around.

So with that, here's how I'd see realignment into 4 conferences, with each conference containing 3 or 4 divisions:

Big 10 (20)
Penn State, Syracuse, Rutgers, North Carolina, Duke,
Ohio State, Indiana, Maryland, Virginia, Georgia Tech
Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern
Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas

SEC (16)
Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, N.C. State,
Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech
Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi State, Mississippi
Arkansas, Louisiana State, Texas A&M, Missouri

New ACC/Big 12 (15)
Notre Dame, Boston College, U. Conn, Pittsburgh, West Virginia,
Florida State, Clemson, Miami, Louisville, Cincinnati
Texas, Baylor, Houston Oklahoma, Oklahoma State,

PAC (16)
Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State,
California, Stanford, USC, UCLA,
Arizona, Arizona State, Texas Tech, TCU
Colorado, Utah, Iowa State, Kansas State
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2016 07:28 PM by CintiFan.)
01-14-2016 02:09 AM
Advertisement

Win5002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big 12 & B1G
(01-14-2016 02:09 AM)CintiFan Wrote:  

SEC

New ACC/Big 12

PAC

I agree that Texas will want to take a top rival with it if it goes to the B1G, but I don't see the B1G taking Rice (Private school, too small, quirky). Texas and the B1G would prefer Oklahoma instead. Oklahoma is not AAU, but it might get the 'Nebraska' exception in order to rekindle the annual Oklahoma/Nebraska game as a B1G match-up. I also don't see the B1G taking both Kansas and Missouri and, if the ACC starts to break apart, the B1G will certainly be focused on getting ACC schools rather than adding another western school.

The PAC will not want to get shut out. So I think they'll add a couple too.

I don't think the new ACC/Big 12 is viable unless there's another alpha dog in it. With both FSU and Notre Dame as anchors, I would think it is a more attractive alternative for Texas than the B1G.

The SEC seems to be the least likely to expand because they don't need additional geography and don't need more alpha dog football programs. Academically minded schools like Duke and Virginia would not choose the SEC if there was an alternative, and the B1G will be the choice. It may be that North Carolina follows Duke and Virginia rather than the other way around.

So with that, here's how I'd see realignment into 4 conferences, with each conference containing 3 or 4 divisions:

Big 10 (20)
Penn State, Syracuse, Rutgers, North Carolina, Duke,
Ohio State, Indiana, Maryland, Virginia, Georgia Tech
Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern
Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas

SEC (16)
Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, N.C. State,
Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech
Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi State, Mississippi
Arkansas, Louisiana State, Texas A&M, Missouri

New ACC/Big 12 (16)
Notre Dame, Boston College, U. Conn,
Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Louisville, Cincinnati
Florida State, Clemson, Miami,

Texas, Baylor, Houston
Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, BYU

PAC (16)
Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State,
California, Stanford, USC, UCLA,
Arizona, Arizona State, Texas Tech, TCU
Colorado, Utah, Iowa State, Kansas State

This all depends from what vantage point you are looking at:
1.) Is it from college football/sports having 4 equally strong leagues competitive wise and revenue wise? Do they somehow come together and bid their tv contract as one organization or simply do leagues realize they don't want to create murder's row for their teams to get into the CFP.
2.) Is it letting market forces determine by a war of ESPN vs. FOX, or B1G vs SEC?
3.) Are we going to worry about travel and expense(because I don't get the feel anymore the Big 12 schools want to go west to the PAC 12)?
4.) Are we fitting it into a 64 team model or are we looking at 72(which I hope they do)
5.) Will the Power leagues force ND's hand in some way to join a league?

The B1G & SEC are at the top and the PAC 12 is probably only safe due to geography.

If you analyze the Big 12 vs the ACC straight up, maybe the markets in the ACC win but they don't have the bell cow for football. FSU & Clemson are nice but they are not the brands at the top of the league to drive a conference, but they could bring the Big 12 to close to on par with the B1G & SEC if added to the Texas/OU rivalry in the Big 12. Also, there are more markets in the ACC for the B1G & the SEC to choose from and to come away winners, not so much if they are choosing from 10 teams in the Big 12.
01-14-2016 03:21 PM
CintiFan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Ohio St./ Cinti
I know some think ESPN and Fox are the puppet masters controlling realignment, and I'm sure they throw their weight around and influence the outcome, but I think the University Presidents are ultimately in control. If we get to a scenario like the one I outlined, it's because Notre Dame, Texas and Florida State decide to take matters into their own hands and create a new conference, with each of them as founding members, and cherry pick the ACC and Big 12 to take only the teams they want to bring with them. I can see that happening if FSU thinks it can't reform the ACC to make it more football centric and if Texas (or maybe Oklahoma) decide the Big 12 cannot be expanded to put it on par with the SEC and B1G.

The 'new conference' theme may give ND cover for finally joining one - one that they helped create. It also may give Texas and Florida State a rationale for abandoning their respective conferences and some of their historic buddy schools. From a competitive standpoint, I think it creates a conference that will garner more respect overall than the current ACC or Big 12. It also helps them leave the weaker teams behind.

If the 'new conference' happens, then all of the Big 12 and ACC schools have to decide what they do. Do they go to the new conference if invited? Some schools, like Oklahoma and North Carolina will have other options to go to the SEC or B1G. Some, like Miami and maybe Clemson may only have one option - to follow Florida State. My lineup is one alternative, but there clearly are many possible outcomes.
01-14-2016 07:51 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(01-13-2016 12:00 AM)JRsec Wrote:  SEC

I like that one. 04-rock
01-15-2016 01:14 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama

SEC

New ACC/Big 12

PAC

How about this?

SEC adds North Carolina, Duke, Virginia, and Georgia Tech

West: Texas A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri, Ole Miss, Mississippi State
Central: Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Georgia Tech
East: Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

B1G adds Syracuse, UConn, Virginia Tech, NC State

West: Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern
Central: Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Syracuse
East: UConn, Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia Tech, NC State

PAC stays put

Big 12 adds a few to stabilize...Florida State, Clemson, Miami, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Boston College

West: Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State
South: Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor
East: Florida State, Miami, Clemson, Iowa State
North: Boston College, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Louisville

Notre Dame also affiliates with this league.
01-15-2016 05:52 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

(01-15-2016 05:52 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

SEC

New ACC/Big 12

PAC

How about this?

SEC adds North Carolina, Duke, Virginia, and Georgia Tech

West: Texas A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri, Ole Miss, Mississippi State
Central: Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Georgia Tech
East: Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

B1G adds Syracuse, UConn, Virginia Tech, NC State

West: Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern
Central: Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Syracuse
East: UConn, Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia Tech, NC State

PAC stays put

Big 12 adds a few to stabilize...Florida State, Clemson, Miami, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Boston College

West: Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State
South: Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor
East: Florida State, Miami, Clemson, Iowa State
North: Boston College, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Louisville

Notre Dame also affiliates with this league.

Flip flop Louisville & Iowa State & done.
01-16-2016 05:46 PM
Advertisement

Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

Big 12 takes FSU, Clemson, Miami, GT, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Houston, ND & Syracuse. TCU to the SEC.

East FSU, Clemson, Miami, GT, WV, Louisville

North ND, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas State

West Texas, Oklahoma, Okl State, Houston, Baylor, TT

SEC gets NC, Duke, Virginia & TCU

East NC, Duke, Virginia, S Carolina, Florida, Georgia

West Texas A&M, TCU, Arkansas, Missouri, LSU, Kentucky

South Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vandy, Ole Mis, Miss State

B1G gets NC State, VT, BC & UCONN

East Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland, BC, UCONN, Michigan State

Central Ohio State, Michigan, NC State, VT, Indiana, Purdue

West Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern

B12, SEC & B1G with a 3x6 for 18 total. Play 5 division, 2 rivals & rotate 1 from each division for 9 games.
01-16-2016 06:47 PM
FloridaState1990 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: FSU, UCF
With the GOR you would have to dissolve the ACC by getting a mJority of the schools to agree to go to new homes. Otherwise everyone is stuck where they are. I think Fox and ESPN know its Easier to break up the big12 with the two networks guiding individual schools into new conferences that make them happy.
01-16-2016 08:07 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(01-16-2016 08:07 PM)FloridaState1990 Wrote:  With the GOR you would have to dissolve the ACC by getting a mJority of the schools to agree to go to new homes. Otherwise everyone is stuck where they are. I think Fox and ESPN know its Easier to break up the big12 with the two networks guiding individual schools into new conferences that make them happy.

The issue is that if Oklahoma bolts they intend to legally challenge the GOR. If they escape its dire penalties then watch out.

I'm not so sure that it is any easier to place 8 Big 12 schools versus 12 ACC schools.

But there is much yet to come out about the language in these secretive GOR's and whether or not there were contingencies.
01-16-2016 08:24 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(01-16-2016 08:24 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(01-16-2016 08:07 PM)FloridaState1990 Wrote:  With the GOR you would have to dissolve the ACC by getting a mJority of the schools to agree to go to new homes. Otherwise everyone is stuck where they are. I think Fox and ESPN know its Easier to break up the big12 with the two networks guiding individual schools into new conferences that make them happy.

The issue is that if Oklahoma bolts they intend to legally challenge the GOR. If they escape its dire penalties then watch out.

I'm not so sure that it is any easier to place 8 Big 12 schools versus 12 ACC schools.

But there is much yet to come out about the language in these secretive GOR's and whether or not there were contingencies.

My understanding is that GORs typically apply to creative works and that they are legally binding because any particular creative work isn't duplicated but a unique product in and of itself. That wouldn't be true of college athletics. Each new game and each new season is its own product.

I also have my doubts that public institutions can legally grant their rights like that.
01-16-2016 11:06 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(01-16-2016 11:06 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(01-16-2016 08:24 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

My understanding is that GORs typically apply to creative works and that they are legally binding because any particular creative work isn't duplicated but a unique product in and of itself. That wouldn't be true of college athletics. Each new game and each new season is its own product.

I also have my doubts that public institutions can legally grant their rights like that.

That's an interesting first observation and a very germane second point.
01-16-2016 11:11 PM
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Who needs 4? Power 3

PAC (Western Conference)

UO/OSU/UW/WSU/BSU
CAL/STAN/UCLA/USC/UNLV
UA/ASU/UU/CU/UNM
OU/OSU/UT/TTU/TCU

SEC (Southern Conference)

A&M/ARK/LSU/MU/UMS
MSU/AUB/AL/GT/CU
UF/MIAMI/FSU/USC/UGA
UT/VU/UK/VT/NCSU

B1G (Northern Conference)

NU/UMN/UWI/UIA/NWU
UIL/UIN/PU/UM/MSU
OSU/PSU/SU/BC/UCONN
UNC/DU/UVA/UMD/RU
01-20-2016 07:05 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(01-20-2016 07:05 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  SEC (Southern Conference)

A&M/ARK/LSU/MU/UMS
MSU/AUB/AL/GT/CU
UF/MIAMI/FSU/USC/UGA
UT/VU/UK/VT/NCSU

I have my doubts about Miami, but I'd be ok with it. Would rather take Louisville or Pittsburgh in that situation though.
01-20-2016 07:46 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Miami is one you take to have exclusive access to FL but you are correct that it isn't 100% necessary. I'd actually take WVU over UL or Pitt simply because we already have KY and Pitt in a southern conference just feels wrong. Plus WVU gets you into the Pittsburgh market anyway since Morgantown is so close.
01-20-2016 11:24 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(01-20-2016 11:24 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Miami is one you take to have exclusive access to FL but you are correct that it isn't 100% necessary. I'd actually take WVU over UL or Pitt simply because we already have KY and Pitt in a southern conference just feels wrong. Plus WVU gets you into the Pittsburgh market anyway since Morgantown is so close.

I wouldn't mind having WVU. I have 2 concerns though.

1) If we can get a great academic school in their place then I think we should go for it. Nothing against WVU, but they would be the lowest ranked school in the league. There aren't too many AAU schools laying around and if the ACC falls apart then Pitt is going to be there for the taking. If we can land a couple more between UNC, UVA, or GT then the league could have a really strong presence in that organization and I think that helps the league.

2) Regarding markets....if we get a VA school then I think WVU becomes a little bit redundant as much of their value will come from fans in MD and Metro DC. If we can both tap VA and get a solid presence in PA then I think that's the best of both worlds. That and when I first heard the idea that the SEC should be interested in Pitt, it came from Mr. SEC. Part of his reasoning was that SEC schools would have to fly into Pittsburgh anyway to get to Morgantown. If that's the case then adding Pitt would actually make for easier trips into that region as opposed to a more Southern school in WVU.

Also, not that I don't like the idea of remaining Southern, but I don't think it would be a problem to reach out a little. With Pitt and semi-Southern Missouri, we really aren't stretching ourselves very much.

I consider also that if the B1G reaches into VA, NC, or especially GA then we need to be ready to expand out of our region as well. I think it will be to our long term benefit to bring in as many parts of the country as possible if for no more reason than to compete with the B1G. If the B1G wasn't interested in expanding into the population centers of the South then I would look at it differently, but I don't like the idea of the B1G getting a foothold in our backyard. Tit for tat at least mitigates that a little. PA is a large, wealthy state with a lot of recruiting opportunities. Planting our flag up there, I think, would make an impact.

Pitt is one of the very few Northern schools that I think could fit in the SEC. Western PA is a pretty blue collar region.
01-21-2016 12:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.