Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

So, now it looks like conference title game deregulation won't pass after all...
Lou_C Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State
So, now it looks like conference title game deregulation won't pass after all...
SEC Commish came out against it...

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com...egulation/

Coming on the heels of the ACC Network postponement, that's a couple items in a row that Swofford has been unable to deliver on in a very public way.

He was on a bit of a roll there, but that's a couple high profile slaps in the face for the "ninja".
01-12-2016 05:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
RE: So, now it looks like conference title game deregulation won't pass after all...
We'll see how the vote turns out. The ACC and Big 12 will vote for it. The SEC and I suspect the B1G will vote against it. It will depend upon the Pac-12. I suspect all of the smaller conferences will vote for it.
01-12-2016 06:11 PM
Ragu Offline
All American

I Root For: FAU/FSU
Sec is a pos conference. Bunch of hilljacks
01-12-2016 06:13 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
RE: So, now it looks like conference title game deregulation won't pass after all...
(01-12-2016 05:47 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  SEC Commish came out against it...

Coming on the heels of the ACC Network postponement, that's a couple items in a row that Swofford has been unable to deliver on in a very public way.

He was on a bit of a roll there, but that's a couple high profile slaps in the face for the "ninja".

Lou, I didn't see anything about the network in the article, should there be another link?
01-12-2016 06:21 PM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
Pac 12 wants the Big 12 to have a championship game. I can see them voting against this too.

I wouldn't blame this on Swofford. Commissioners minds started to change when they saw how the committee was slotting teams for the college football playoff and so forth. No one wants to let a conference "game" the system.
01-12-2016 06:26 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
If it fails then it will put more pressure on the Big 12, they will have to make some tough decisions. The ACC can live with the status quo.
01-12-2016 06:40 PM
Advertisement

Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I hope it fails to pass. I don't think it's a good idea.
01-12-2016 07:23 PM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
Honestly, I don't see how this is a big loss or conversely a big win for Swofford.

90% of his job is delivering on TV/media revenue. Those contracts are locked in and have been. The rest is just rearranging chairs. Doesn't matter much.

(01-12-2016 06:40 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  If it fails then it will put more pressure on the Big 12, they will have to make some tough decisions. The ACC can live with the status quo.

But there is no 'status quo'.....the SEC and B1G are pulling away in revenue. Things are changing.....not staying the same.
01-12-2016 07:56 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(01-12-2016 06:40 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  If it fails then it will put more pressure on the Big 12, they will have to make some tough decisions. The ACC can live with the status quo.

"Tough decisions" -> add two of BYU, Houston, Cincinnati
01-12-2016 08:03 PM
texasorange Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse Orange

Despite the optimism earlier, I never thought this had a chance to succeed. I knew the Big Ten what oppose it, and I knew once the SEC was against it it would fail. Good as far as I'm concerned. I don't like the Big 10 commish, but I agree with him here.
01-12-2016 10:32 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
Soooooooo, Michigan is holding spring practice in Florida (a year after PSU held it in GA?). How freaking hard is it to put forth a proposal with (of for) the SEC (and possibly Big XII) that blocks holding spring practices out of a conference's footprint in return for the SEC's support for the ACC's CCG degrgulation proposal?

The SEC, ACC, ND, and Big XII could/should all be on the same page. It's freaking politics. Find something that someone else really wants and help them get it in return for their help getting something you want.
01-12-2016 11:10 PM
Advertisement

Bigtexnole Offline
Water Engineer

My thought is that the ACC does/did not care so much about the championship game being a team from each division, rather; the intent to dissolve the divisions and go to a 3-5-5 format.

This format would increase the quality of games offered to TV and reduce the amount of time each team within the conference to play each other to every two years.

This would allow the ACC to request higher payout on the next lookin on TVthe contract.

If you are not familiar with 3-5-5 it works like this. No divisions, all 14 teams one division. Each team has 3 annual rivals. In FSU case it would have 1. UM 2. Clemson 3. GT or Louisville as annual rivals. Example for UNC would be 1. NCST 2. UVA (longest rivalry in football) 3. Duke. Ok you get the picture.

Each year you play your 3 annual rivals and 5 of the remaining 10. In this scenario you play everyone every two years. In the subsequent 2 years flip the same teams but play them at home or away opposite what you played in first two years.

This would open up inventory that is must see TV. GAMES YOU WOULD SEE EVERY TWO YEARS that you only see every 12 years now are.

FSU VS. VT
FSU VS UNC
FSU VS. GT
UM VS CLEM
UM VS LOUISVILLE
PITT VS BC
UNC VS CLEM
SYR VS UM
SYR VS GT

Add your favorite team to the rotation.

Those games have value and could bring much needed cash.

If the division thing does not pass, you could still do it but the divisions would rotate and be confusing as hell each year.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2016 11:49 PM by Bigtexnole.)
01-12-2016 11:42 PM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
(01-12-2016 10:32 PM)texasorange Wrote:  

Despite the optimism earlier, I never thought this had a chance to succeed. I knew the Big Ten what oppose it, and I knew once the SEC was against it it would fail. Good as far as I'm concerned. I don't like the Big 10 commish, but I agree with him here.

Especially after it appears the champ games have a big influence on the playoff committee.
01-13-2016 12:21 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
(01-12-2016 07:56 PM)nole Wrote:  Honestly, I don't see how this is a big loss or conversely a big win for Swofford.

90% of his job is delivering on TV/media revenue. Those contracts are locked in and have been. The rest is just rearranging chairs. Doesn't matter much.

But there is no 'status quo'.....the SEC and B1G are pulling away in revenue. Things are changing.....not staying the same.

Status quo in scheduling. The deregulation wouldn't have much effect on revenue.
01-13-2016 12:44 PM
Lou_C Offline
1st String

Wait...spoke a bit to soon, looks like they'll possibly accommodate the Big 12...meaning the ACC is the one that specifically doesn't get what it wants.

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/687309874561077248

"One potential title game compromise is that the rule would require a league to have 2 divisions OR play a full round robin like Big 12 does."

Ultimately, it's not a gigantic deal, but the rehabilitation of Swofford's image the past few years has been based on the "ninja" having the insider position and personal relationships to get things done, such as the GOR or keeping the ACC firmly in the power five in the playoff negotiations (remember all the talk of playoff revenue based on bowl performance like the NCAA tournament)?

He's the second longest serving commissioner. There have been two publicly stated goals of the ACC in the past year or so, deregulation and the ACC Network. The network is tabled, and here is an issue that, if any, should be able to be moved based on relationships and personal gravitas, and it looks like the ACC will get the short end of the stick.

Believe me, I'm far from the biggest Swofford hater on this board. I'm willing to give credit for some of the moves he's pulled since the height of realignment fever. But if we're sticking with him because he's more connected and settled and better positioned to get the ACC's bidding done than an outsider...that's not exactly showing out in the last few months.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2016 03:23 PM by Lou_C.)
01-13-2016 03:22 PM
Ragu Offline
All American

I Root For: FAU/FSU
So the Big 12 will get what they want (which is more out there) , but the ACC cant skip teams in division and such? Terrible. Swofford needs to go.
01-13-2016 04:06 PM
Advertisement

TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
I don't know, tough to judge him on the dereg thing because the ACC has refused to say what if anything they would do with it even if it passes. Mostly all message board speculation regarding that.
01-13-2016 04:19 PM
Lou_C Offline
1st String

(01-13-2016 04:19 PM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  I don't know, tough to judge him on the dereg thing because the ACC has refused to say what if anything they would do with it even if it passes. Mostly all message board speculation regarding that.

What are you supposed to judge him on? This is probably the most accurate possible thing we can have to judge him on how big a hammer he swings.

This is something that doesn't effect other conferences at all...they don't have to change a single thing. If he can't swing this, the idea that he holds some gravitas as a longstanding commissioner with deep ties to the other conferences...is seriously undermined.

To be fair...everything isn't settled yet. The ACC may get something they want as yet, in which case I will have jumped to conclusions. Perhaps the compromise that they need to "play in two divisions or play a round robin" does not state the requirement that the divisions play a round robin.

If that compromise allows the divisions to skip 1 or 2 divisional opponents per year, that probably serves the ACC as much as needed. I personally would like to see divisions go away completely, but I don't get any sense that there is any momentum for that in ACC corridors. Athletic directors and coaches just have two much stake in claiming a divisional title and don't want to see that go away.

Plus, it's much easier to sneak in to the championship game from a division that's down than it is to be required to be in the top 2. You can win the division and play for a conference championship without being one of the best 3 or 4 teams in the conference. See the SEC East. Pretty tough to be in the top two without being one of the best 3 or 4 teams in the conference.
01-13-2016 04:29 PM
nole Offline
1st String

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 2m2 minutes ago
B12 gets what it wants (Texas)
ACC does not get what it went for in deregulation.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 1m1 minute ago

Greg Flugaur Retweeted Brian Davis
https://mobile.twitter.com/BDavisAAS/sta...1433967616

This is what I meant.

Greg Flugaur added,

Brian Davis @BDavisAAS Bowlsby: "We had 7 of 9 affirmative votes." The ACC and American voted no. SEC and Big Ten were in.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 5m5 minutes ago
ACC gets stabbed in the back....throws grenade.
01-13-2016 04:41 PM
nole Offline
1st String

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 27s28 seconds ago
Got the text minutes before it broke.

B1G/SEC got what it wanted (Weakens B12
B12 Got what it wanted (Texas)
ACC got a nothing-burger
01-13-2016 04:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.