Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rate the 2011 Recruiting Class
Bookmark and Share
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
Rate the 2011 Recruiting Class
Now that their playing careers are over let's take a look at the 2011 recruiting class, the first of the Dave Doeren regime. Based on reader feedback I am implementing a new five point scale this year: 5 = transcendent players, 4 = major contributors with all-MAC recognition, 3 = solid contributors, 2 = minor contributors, 1 = no impact.

For those who care my 2010 review is here: http://csnbbs.com/thread-720979.html

and my 2009 review is here: http://csnbbs.com/thread-639748.html

Ratings are subjective and I welcome input from others.

5- Transcendent Players

There were none in this class. This category is reserved for your Jordan Lynch/ Garrett Wolfe types. Tommylee would have been here if not for injuries that limited his playing time.

4 - Major contributors with all-MAC recognition

Andrew Ness, OL - A record 56 starts, two-time first team all-MAC recipient.

Aidan Conlon, OL - 56 starts next to Ness, one-time first team all-MAC recipient.

Tommylee Lewis, WR/KR - 171 catches for 1669 yards and 11 TDs, 71 carries for 578 yards and 3 TDs, 66 KOR for 1673 yards and 4 TDs, 18 punt returns for 135 yards. One-time first team all-MAC recipient.

Paris Logan, CB - This will be a controversial one since he had a rough senior season. Still, Logan was a one-time first team all-MAC recipient who appeared in 52 games with 35 starts and had 32 passes defended and 5 INTs.

Jason Meehan, DE - One-time first team all-MAC recipient. Appeared in 55 games with 12 starts and had 128 tackles and 14 sacks.

Boomer Mays, LB - One-time first team and one-time second team all-MAC, appeared in 55 games with 45 starts, had 302 tackles and 38 TFLs.

3 - Solid Contributors

Rock Lemon, LB - Lemon was a one-time third team all-MAC recipient who appeared in 30 games with 16 starts. Was second on the team with 90 tackles in 2014. Would likely have ranked higher on this list if not for issues that kept him off the field his senior year.

Juwan Brescacin, WR - Appeared in 48 games, had 94 catches for 1440 yards and 13 TDs.

Tyler Wedel, K/P - Four year kicker and punter.

Cameron Clinton-Earl, DE - Appeared in 28 games with 16 starts.

Rob Sterling, FB - Appeared in 49 games at fullback and on special teams.

Leighton Settle, RB - Appeared in 19 games, had 117 carries for 537 yards and 5 TDs, 6 catches for 34 yards. Left after his junior year.

Jhony Faustin, DB - Appeared in 38 games with 17 starts, had 3 INTs

Matt McIntosh, QB/S - Appeared in 22 games with 2 starts, passed for 233 yards and 4 TDs, ran for 180 yards and 2 TDs. Transferred to SIU after his junior year.

AJ Sebastiano, WR - Likely would have ranked higher if not for injuries. Appeared in 19 games. Had 26 punt returns for 204 yards, 11 catches for 147 yards, 6 kickoff returns for 136 yards.

2 - Minor contributors

Matt Killian, OL - Appeared in 13 games, left after his redshirt freshman year.

Devonte Majors, TE - Appeared in 2 games, left after his sophomore year. Became a multi-year starter at Lindenwood.

Ryan Gorrell, LB - Appeared in 2 games, left after his junior year.

Gervaise Porter, LB - Appeared in 12 games, had 13 tackles, left after his junior year.

Jamal Womble, RB - Appeared in 18 games, had 45 carries for 136 yards and 2 TDs, 2 catches for 58 yards and 1 TD.

Nate McNeal, DB - Appeared in 16 games, primarily on special teams.

Tre Moore, S - Appeared in 8 games, transferred after his redshirt freshman year. Became a multi-year starter at Youngstown State.

Kevin Tennenbaum, TE - Appeared in 5 games.

1 - No Impact

Sean Strehl, QB - A walkon who left after one year.

Jordan Braxton, LB - A walkon who left after one year.

Videl Nelson, LB
- Played two years, did not record any stats.

Lawrence Walker, OL - Left after one year, became a multi-year starter at Concordia St. Paul and Minnesota State.

Michael Neal, DB - Left after one year.

Mason Fuller, DT - Left after one year.

Devin Rose, QB - A walkon who left after one year.

Larry Lloyd, DL - A walkon who left after one year.

Troy Torrence, S/WR - A walkon who left after one year, later put up big offensive numbers at St. Xavier.

Josh Gallington, K
- Left after one year.
01-12-2016 04:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: Rate the 2011 Recruiting Class
Well done. Can't disagree on really any of that. For what it's worth...

Rivals had this class ranked second in the MAC based on * average. Vidal Nelson was the highest rated player at 5.7. Womble, Sebastiano and Ness were at 5.6. Logan and Conlon were tied for lowest at 5.2. TLL was a 5.3.

Scout had this class as 6th in the MAC on * average. They had Womble, Mason Fuller, Tre Moore and Matt Killian as 3* players. Everyone else was a 2*
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2016 04:11 PM by armour248.)
01-12-2016 04:10 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
I would put an asterisks on Wedel as more than a solid contributor but not All-MAC.

Anyone who can be a four year starter on any team in FBS football, heck any Division One athletic program, deserves that recognition.
01-12-2016 04:26 PM
Advertisement

HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

Lets all remember over the next few weeks leading up to signing day that when Videl Nelson signed to NIU he was our highest rated recruit out of high school EVER! (since they started the * system)
01-12-2016 04:30 PM
142niu Offline
Special Teams

I would agree with you on all that. I'm more impressed you have that kind of data base!! Going to miss all those guys.
01-13-2016 12:04 AM
Advertisement

JB04 Offline
1st String

Tyler Wedel's fake punt at Iowa was a thing of beauty. That's when I found out afterward he was a QB in high school also, therefore he didn't have that "I look like I'm going to **** myself" look every kicker gets when they run the ball. Plus I don't think he ever fumbled the snap 03-cloud9
01-13-2016 07:35 AM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
This class should be measured in WINS. It was an OUTSTANDING CLASS. They won football games!
01-13-2016 08:44 AM
Advertisement

NIUCOF'12 Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-13-2016 07:35 AM)JB04 Wrote:  Tyler Wedel's fake punt at Iowa was a thing of beauty. That's when I found out afterward he was a QB in high school also, therefore he didn't have that "I look like I'm going to **** myself" look every kicker gets when they run the ball. Plus I don't think he ever fumbled the snap 03-cloud9

Yea that was awesome, He was shoved out of bounds right in front of me. Huge play in that game. Kid had some speed.
01-13-2016 09:57 AM
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(01-12-2016 04:30 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  Lets all remember over the next few weeks leading up to signing day that when Videl Nelson signed to NIU he was our highest rated recruit out of high school EVER! (since they started the * system)

FWIW, Nelson did graduate from NIU last Spring, so he finished his degree, but just stopped playing football. Same with Sebastiano.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2016 12:42 PM by BarsemaBone2.)
01-13-2016 12:42 PM
Advertisement

zdsmith Offline
1st String

I Root For: Huskies Hawks
#WedelForHeisman
01-13-2016 12:51 PM
golf4501 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(01-13-2016 12:42 PM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  
(01-12-2016 04:30 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  Lets all remember over the next few weeks leading up to signing day that when Videl Nelson signed to NIU he was our highest rated recruit out of high school EVER! (since they started the * system)

FWIW, Nelson did graduate from NIU last Spring, so he finished his degree, but just stopped playing football. Same with Sebastiano.

That's good to hear. I think Sebastiano would have been a solid player had he not gotten injured. If I recall correctly he had numerous concussions in high school so when he got one in college that was it. I think his father was a doctor, so he knew when to quit
01-13-2016 02:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.