Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA vs NFL
WizardofWestwood Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Bearcats/Tide
NCAA vs NFL
I absolutely enjoyed the NCAA Championship game last night between Alabama and Clemson. Both teams were high quality and they played FOOTBALL. I am so tired of the NFL, which is inching closer to WWE all the time, and all the antics that accompany each and every game. Thanks to the the Tide and the Tigers! Class! 04-cheers
01-12-2016 02:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

kurtrundell Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: KU
RE: NCAA vs NFL
NFL and it's not even close. Less than 8 teams have a chance to win the CFP each year because those teams have infinite more talent and depth and money than anyone else. And it's the same teams year after year.

Conversely, anyone can win in the NFL as there really isn't much talent disparity between No. 1 and No. 32, anyone can win each week, and coaching makes more of an impact.
01-12-2016 02:29 PM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
The problem with the NFL.... again, is everything that is right with CF IMO. CF games (spare an infinite halftime), just seem to flow quicker. The replays are faster. The calls aren't as ticky tacky and officiating doesn't determine games. The tempo is there. No two minute warning. The game last night was moving like two 45 minute soccer periods. Why can't the NFL get that kind of tempo and flow? I understand you have to get calls right, and you need ad time for sponsors, but that to me is why I'm tuning out of the NFL. There is still a wide gap between the two however, with the NFL being by far a superior product to most.

That's why the league needs guys like Manning and Rogers. Guys that are always in action, always up tempo, getting the flow going, moving the chains, keeping the commercials away. You don't necessarily need ticky tack PI to extend drives (and stop the game), but you need that kind of flow from all 32 teams.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2016 02:35 PM by RUScarlets.)
01-12-2016 02:33 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
(01-12-2016 02:14 PM)WizardofWestwood Wrote:  I absolutely enjoyed the NCAA Championship game last night between Alabama and Clemson. Both teams were high quality and they played FOOTBALL. I am so tired of the NFL, which is inching closer to WWE all the time, and all the antics that accompany each and every game. Thanks to the the Tide and the Tigers! Class! 04-cheers

I'll agree with that

College football is becoming more about championship football, and the popularity is better than ever
01-12-2016 02:35 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(01-12-2016 02:33 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  The problem with the NFL.... again, is everything that is right with CF IMO. CF games (spare an infinite halftime), just seem to flow quicker. The replays are faster. The calls aren't as ticky tacky and officiating doesn't determine games. The tempo is there. No two minute warning. The game last night was moving like two 45 minute soccer periods. Why can't the NFL get that kind of tempo and flow? I understand you have to get calls right, and you need ad time for sponsors, but that to me is why I'm tuning out of the NFL. There is still a wide gap between the two however, with the NFL being by far a superior product to most.

Huh? Last Night's game lasted over 4 hours.

The Chiefs/Texas NFL Playoff game on Saturday was over in less than 3 hours.
01-12-2016 02:35 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

(01-12-2016 02:35 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(01-12-2016 02:33 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  The problem with the NFL.... again, is everything that is right with CF IMO. CF games (spare an infinite halftime), just seem to flow quicker. The replays are faster. The calls aren't as ticky tacky and officiating doesn't determine games. The tempo is there. No two minute warning. The game last night was moving like two 45 minute soccer periods. Why can't the NFL get that kind of tempo and flow? I understand you have to get calls right, and you need ad time for sponsors, but that to me is why I'm tuning out of the NFL. There is still a wide gap between the two however, with the NFL being by far a superior product to most.

boy, wasn't that a thrilling game....03-zzz
01-12-2016 02:36 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(01-12-2016 02:36 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  

I loved every minute of it...04-rock

Point is still the same. The NFL game actually moves faster. They have contractual issues that basically require games don't go longer than 3 hours 20 minutes because TV networks have to cut away at that point.

The NFL gets looked upon as having no flow by fans because of the way the television networks take breaks. They take breaks at strange points, sometimes 2 plays after they had just taken a break, however their TV deals have a set number of commercial breaks, it doesn't go higher or lower unless its the Super Bowl. College is not the same animal.

The College game feels like it flows along faster because interruptions are not as constant, but the reality is you are taking the same number of television breaks in college that you are in the NFL. Sometimes more.
01-12-2016 02:42 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(01-12-2016 02:29 PM)kurtrundell Wrote:  NFL and it's not even close. Less than 8 teams have a chance to win the CFP each year because those teams have infinite more talent and depth and money than anyone else. And it's the same teams year after year.

Conversely, anyone can win in the NFL as there really isn't much talent disparity between No. 1 and No. 32, anyone can win each week, and coaching makes more of an impact.

Any P5 team can make the playoff. Realistically any given year there are probably 4-5 teams from any P5 conference that have a shot. There have been only 2 seasons of the playoff.
Iowa and UNC came close to sneaking in this year.

But the NFL and the parity makes so any team can have a special season.
01-12-2016 02:45 PM
Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
I personally like college football more just because of how talent cycles through faster. So you can see teams rise and fall pretty quickly no matter how dominant they were for x years or how bad they were for x years.

In the NFL you pay men to play the sport and you collect talent based on what you pay them. The NFL has become pass happy and that has taken some of the fun away from watching the NFL.

The NFL is still king and always will be.
01-12-2016 02:46 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

(01-12-2016 02:45 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(01-12-2016 02:29 PM)kurtrundell Wrote:  NFL and it's not even close. Less than 8 teams have a chance to win the CFP each year because those teams have infinite more talent and depth and money than anyone else. And it's the same teams year after year.

Any P5 team can make the playoff. Realistically any given year there are probably 4-5 teams from any P5 conference that have a shot. There have been only 2 seasons of the playoff.
Iowa and UNC came close to sneaking in this year.

But the NFL and the parity makes so any team can have a special season.

That's just nonsense....you have the same teams dominate the NFL.

Seattle, Green Bay, New England, Denver. There is less parity than you think
01-12-2016 03:03 PM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(01-12-2016 02:36 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  

The Minnesota - Seattle game was basically the same time length and that was compelling television especially in those conditions and that ending...
01-12-2016 03:15 PM
Advertisement

Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
Compelling is not a word I would have used to describe the Minnesota-Seattle game. I love a great defensive game and don't care if a game ends 7-3 if it's because of great defense rather than inept offense. I don't know whether the offenses are just that bad or the subzero temps prevented any semblance of offensive efficiency, but that was not a good game to watch. Hardly compelling. So it had a tense ending after 59:59:56 of yawner football. Bet Minnesota wishes they were back in a dome now.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2016 02:41 PM by Zombiewoof.)
01-16-2016 12:19 PM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
Back on topic. Both college and pro football are enjoyable to watch. In spite of the whining people do about their particular beef with a certain level of football, each enjoys a healthy following. No need to try to say one is better. The NFL is dependent on the colleges for its pipeline of players, so there is no desire on the part of the NFL game to minimize the popularity of the college game or lessen the importance of high school and youth league football.
01-16-2016 12:24 PM
PirateJim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU/Underdogs
NFL: TD, xp, 5 minutes of commercials, kickoff, 5 more minutes of commercials. Solution - eliminate commercials after the kickoff.
NCAA: Clock stops after every 1st down.
Solution - don't stop the clock after 1st downs except in the last two minutes of each half.
01-16-2016 02:06 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(01-12-2016 02:14 PM)WizardofWestwood Wrote:  I absolutely enjoyed the NCAA Championship game last night between Alabama and Clemson. Both teams were high quality and they played FOOTBALL. I am so tired of the NFL, which is inching closer to WWE all the time, and all the antics that accompany each and every game. Thanks to the the Tide and the Tigers! Class! 04-cheers

I wish it was the NCAA championship. Maybe then every conference would have a guaranteed shot at the national championship like every other sport.
01-16-2016 05:53 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
A NFL regular season game would rival the CFB CG. This is comparing apples to oranges. When college football starts to market itself as a national brand instead of as a regional brand it could sniff the behind of the NFL one day.
01-16-2016 06:13 PM
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
NCAA is notorious for 4 hour games that drag on forever. NFL famous for annoying commercial breaks just 1 play after another commercial breaks.

I think I would prefer they would just take their commercial breaks at designated time intervals, like at 12:00, 8:00, 5:00, 2:00. even if it's in the middle of a drive. The clock will stop temporarily for the commercial break, and will start again when they get back. It can't be any worse than the way the game flows now.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2016 07:29 PM by goofus.)
01-16-2016 07:28 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
Yeah but some of the commercial breaks are for injury timeouts. You can't really avoid that and if anything, that's the best time to have a commercial break.
01-16-2016 08:28 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
NFL and its not even close.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
01-16-2016 10:48 PM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(01-16-2016 12:19 PM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  Compelling is not a word I would have used to describe the Minnesota-Seattle game. I love a great defensive game and don't care if a game ends 7-3 if it's because of great defense rather than inept offense. I don't know whether the offenses are just that bad or the subzero temps prevented any semblance of offensive efficiency, but that was not a good game to watch. Hardly compelling. So it had a tense ending after 59:59:56 of yawner football. Bet Minnesota wishes they were back in a dome now.

Are you now entertained...Larry Fitzgerald was a BEAST & Aaron Rodgers that last 2 Minutes willed his team to tie..."Green Bay @ Arizona"...07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2016 11:54 PM by Maize.)
01-16-2016 11:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.