Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why is this board so negative
Bookmark and Share
dj3600 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Uc
Why is this board so negative
Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan of tubs and I hate when the basketball team loses to X but the football team did win part of the conference last year and the basketball team has made 5 straight NCAA Tourneys and have only loses to one team that's was not in the top 15 guess I'm just saying it could be worse
GO BEARCATS http://csnbbs.com/images/smilies/02-13-banana.gif

01-09-2016 11:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
RE: Why is this board so negative
My negativity is only about football. It upsets me that our football coach treats his job like it is second tier unraveling the work of all that came before him.

01-09-2016 11:14 AM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
A lot of people aren't happy with the current direction of the football program including me.

Some are also upset with the current basketball season.

Some are upset with both the major programs.

Some posters think they're funny and look at every thread to inject their attempts at humor, even if it's a variation of something they've said 100s of times before. Some encourage them to continue.

I also suspect some rival school trolls and as Jackie said, some teenagers as well.

01-09-2016 11:42 AM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
My negatively rests solely with the football program. Tommy Tuberville isn't the solution and that becomes more clear with each passing day.

Cronin and his basketball program gets more patience for a number of reasons.

01-09-2016 11:50 AM
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
My football dissatisfaction is self-explanatory.

For basketball, simply making the NCAA tournament most years is not enough to justify paying our coach a top 25 salary. According to USA Today's database, Mick made $2.2 million last year which puts him at #22 in the nation. For comparison, Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown (the guy who beat "Mick's best team yet" with just 6 players) made $1.9 million. Even more surprisingly, Chris Mack made a mere $1.1 million... half of Mick's salary.

For a top 25 salary (and our tradition), I expect top 25 talent and top 25 rankings most or all of the time. We are not nearly getting that. I'm not a Mick hater that wants him fired, I'm just being objective. I appreciate what he did over his first 5 years here, but I am still dissatisfied with his performance. I think that's reasonable.

I rarely post anything negative, because I don't really have much to add that hasn't been said way too many times. I do think having a place to vent is important for some fans though. And maybe venting is helpful; if fans don't voice their displeasure with subpar athletic performances, administration won't be motivated to change anything. College athletic departments don't exist to rack up wins, they exist to advertise for the school. Winning nationally-relevant games is a great way to do that, but it is just one means to an end. Look at football for example: attendance has been increasing over the last few years, despite a decrease in performance. Why spend millions to get a new coach, when statistics show fan support increasing? We will see what happens to attendance next year I guess.

If someone doesn't like negativity, justified or not, simply ignore it and move on. No need to argue with other Bearcat fans. 04-cheers

01-09-2016 12:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Both the football and basketball program are under achieving. Both lose single possession games against the better
competition. Equally disappointed in both programs. X kicked our rear end, the losses to Butler, ISU, Temple, and SMU coulda shoulda have been wins. UC could be ranked and around top 15 or top 10. The talent and depth is probably the best on the bball roster since Mick has been here. UC is 1-4 against NCAA tourney/Ranked type teams.

01-09-2016 12:51 PM
Advertisement

Bearcatnips Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Football trending downward despite the easier schedules. And the negativity is amplified due to the conference situation.

01-09-2016 01:09 PM
BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
(01-09-2016 11:50 AM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  My negatively rests solely with the football program. Tommy Tuberville isn't the solution and that becomes more clear with each passing day.

Bingo.

01-09-2016 01:11 PM
Brian_Johnson Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats
(01-09-2016 11:50 AM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  My negatively rests solely with the football program. Tommy Tuberville isn't the solution and that becomes more clear with each passing day.

Right where I am Coop. And I probably get overly pissed at basketball losses, because of the cumulative effect, coming off a thoroughly disappointing football season. If the football hadn't crapped so badly, I probably would be even-keeled at worst with basketball.

01-09-2016 01:17 PM
KCat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
I think,,[/align] most on this board make reasonable comments.. A few take every opportunity to repeat their same old criticisms over and over and over again.. Some of the criticism is mindless and drags down the whole board. It's like trying to have a conversation with a Parrett.

01-09-2016 01:25 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Things are negative because we are all desperately hoping we can get out of G5 hell and back into a power conference where we feel we belong. And each crappy loss in either sport when a win looked possible just drives the stake a little deeper into our hearts.

01-09-2016 01:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eastside cat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
For basketball, we should take a step back and realize how far Cronin has taken this team from the dark days of football players on the roster. The close losses are crushing, but only one blowout this year. I really think the pent up anger is being left behind in this league after the strives in the Big East. Kcat has it right, the negative people on this board feed on each other and are the most active, but this is no different than most school message boards. In the end, it is all passion about the team except when it spills over to not buying tickets and supporting the kids playing. Oh and the personal attacks on coaches or players like we really know them or what goes on in the locker rooms. That I do not like.

01-09-2016 01:54 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Just wait till the widespread apathy kicks in.

The gift that keeps on giving.

01-09-2016 01:58 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(01-09-2016 12:23 PM)TubaCat Wrote:  My football dissatisfaction is self-explanatory.

For basketball, simply making the NCAA tournament most years is not enough to justify paying our coach a top 25 salary. According to USA Today's database, Mick made $2.2 million last year which puts him at #22 in the nation. For comparison, Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown (the guy who beat "Mick's best team yet" with just 6 players) made $1.9 million. Even more surprisingly, Chris Mack made a mere $1.1 million... half of Mick's salary.

For a top 25 salary (and our tradition), I expect top 25 talent and top 25 rankings most or all of the time. We are not nearly getting that. I'm not a Mick hater that wants him fired, I'm just being objective. I appreciate what he did over his first 5 years here, but I am still dissatisfied with his performance. I think that's reasonable.

I rarely post anything negative, because I don't really have much to add that hasn't been said way too many times. I do think having a place to vent is important for some fans though. And maybe venting is helpful; if fans don't voice their displeasure with subpar athletic performances, administration won't be motivated to change anything. College athletic departments don't exist to rack up wins, they exist to advertise for the school. Winning nationally-relevant games is a great way to do that, but it is just one means to an end. Look at football for example: attendance has been increasing over the last few years, despite a decrease in performance. Why spend millions to get a new coach, when statistics show fan support increasing? We will see what happens to attendance next year I guess.

If someone doesn't like negativity, justified or not, simply ignore it and move on. No need to argue with other Bearcat fans. 04-cheers

Good post. Echoes my thoughts as well.

01-09-2016 02:45 PM
Not Duane Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC
For the 2005-08 cohort:

Football GSR 67%
Basketball GSR 36%

For the 1995-98 cohort:

Football GSR 68%
Basketball GSR 31%

Football has dropped a bit, basketball has improved remarkably since Cronin has been here. Those basketball numbers need to continue to climb, but the arrow is pointed in the right direction.

01-09-2016 05:08 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
This question is posed over and over again, mostly in the form of people acting surprised that a thread of a losing game gets way more posts than a winning game does. It's pretty simple, at least to me, when things are going well people are happy and stay quiet, when things are bad people get mad and people want to talk way more when they are mad than when they are happy. It's common sense really, but people still act surprised for some reason.

01-09-2016 05:25 PM
Advertisement

ucnaticat Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: cincinnati
I for one am always humored by the sheep of any program who will walk the company line no matter what. I think it is good to have discussions about the current status of our program. Both for football and basketball. Why is it such a bad thing to have negative opinions about what direction UC athletics is headed. At the end of the day, we are all BIG UC fans and love the university. That is ultimately why we spend time on this board. If we don't care about UC athletics who does?

IMO, Football is a hot mess and basketball is status quo. For me, status quo does not cut it anymore for basketball. Not sure what the answer is for basketball, but I know I care about our Bball program a whole lot less than I did in the past. I have been transformed from rabid fan(and season ticket holder) to casual fan who watches games when it fits in to my schedule(and no longer a season ticket holder). I can only attribute this to the team's style of play, becoming numb to the typical "UC" loses, and watching our hated neighbor elevate their program in our old conference when we were unable to do when we had the opportunity. To me all this points to one person. The coach. IMO, Mick did a fine job resurrecting the program from the ashes, but has not elevated it to an elite level. He has reached Rick Minter status. He has been good for the program, but If he stays you know what you will get. A good coach who does a fine job at being average. Nothing more. I hope I am wrong, but fear I am right.

01-09-2016 05:47 PM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
(01-09-2016 05:25 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  This question is posed over and over again, mostly in the form of people acting surprised that a thread of a losing game gets way more posts than a winning game does. It's pretty simple, at least to me, when things are going well people are happy and stay quiet, when things are bad people get mad and people want to talk way more when they are mad than when they are happy. It's common sense really, but people still act surprised for some reason.

Yep. Venting is fun.

01-09-2016 05:52 PM
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats
Because everything sucks! #Fireeveryone!

01-09-2016 05:54 PM
FenderCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, Hillsdale
The plus side is the Cats should be hungry entering the AAC tourny. Maybe they win it.

01-09-2016 05:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.