Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Idaho Vandals analyzing FBS, FCS options
8993 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
Idaho Vandals analyzing FBS, FCS options
The President of Idaho University has spoken out about the future of the Vandals in regards to their football-only membership in the Sun Belt Conference. The President, who has been criticized by many fans and alumni of Idaho, aired out the conversations that have taken placed between himself and Sun Belt officials, as well as Big Sky officials. President Chuck Staben noted that, should Idaho transition from the Sun Belt to the Big Sky, they would be the first team to have ever done so, although some of their "natural rivals" are already stationed in the Big Sky.

Idaho President: Vandals analyzing FBS, FCS options
01-08-2016 09:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
RE: Idaho Vandals analyzing FBS, FCS options
Great timing. It's a dead period in recruiting, more limited in how you can reassure your prospects.
01-08-2016 09:21 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
Its a crazy idea but what if the SBC decided to not renew Idaho but renew NMSU? Then the SBC extends an offer to UMass as its 12th team. This way each division has 1 FB only school to manage with.

I'm somewhat doubtful the SBC would do something like that. More likely Idaho and NSMU would be dropped with the conference reducing to 10 schools. If there is some raiding in the future of the SBC, they can always invite UMass FB only for a 10th member and its Boston Market.
01-08-2016 09:29 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Idaho move to Big Sky makes a lot of sense.
01-08-2016 09:45 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(01-08-2016 09:45 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  Idaho move to Big Sky makes a lot of sense.

^This^

Boise has built up such a franchise that Idaho doesn't have a chance. Why beat your head against the wall?
01-08-2016 10:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
IFs.

So IF deregulation of title games happens, Sun Belt would drop Idaho/NMSU (Benson)

IF Sun Belt drops Idaho, they go FCS (Staben).

What happens to NMSU? If UMass can put a schedule together, maybe NMSU can too?
01-08-2016 10:11 AM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(01-08-2016 10:11 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  IFs.

So IF deregulation of title games happens, Sun Belt would drop Idaho/NMSU (Benson)

IF Sun Belt drops Idaho, they go FCS (Staben).

What happens to NMSU? If UMass can put a schedule together, maybe NMSU can too?

NMSU could possibly join The Big Sky if they drop a level.

Another option would be CUSA as a replacement team...they are only 40 miles from UTEP.
01-08-2016 10:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Sounds like Idaho asked Benson whether the SBC is going to drop them, and Benson's answer was not what they wanted to hear.

Also, don't know if Benson himself has any influence on the decision, but it's worth noting that he is a graduate of Boise State.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2016 10:41 AM by Wedge.)
01-08-2016 10:34 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(01-08-2016 09:45 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  Idaho move to Big Sky makes a lot of sense.

They have a 16k domed stadium. They need to go back to FCS.
01-08-2016 10:56 AM
Steve1981 Online
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
(01-08-2016 09:29 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  I'm somewhat doubtful the SBC would do something like that. More likely Idaho and NSMU would be dropped with the conference reducing to 10 schools. If there is some raiding in the future of the SBC, they can always invite UMass FB only for a 10th member and its Boston Market.

More like a 1 in a million chance than doubtful. The Sun Belt teams are more interested in building a strong conference. Coastal was a fine addition and makes more regional and travel sense.
01-08-2016 11:07 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-08-2016 11:07 AM)Steve1981 Wrote:  
(01-08-2016 09:29 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  I'm somewhat doubtful the SBC would do something like that. More likely Idaho and NSMU would be dropped with the conference reducing to 10 schools. If there is some raiding in the future of the SBC, they can always invite UMass FB only for a 10th member and its Boston Market.

More like a 1 in a million chance than doubtful. The Sun Belt teams are more interested in building a strong conference. Coastal was a fine addition and makes more regional and travel sense.

CUSA could save UMass if it wanted to add a school for to improve basketball and push to a 3 division format.

CUSA East: UMass, ODU, Charlotte, FAU, FIU
CUSA Central: Marshall, WKU, MTSU, UAB, USM
CUSA West: La Tech, Rice, UNT, UTSA, UTEP

It's just me but I'd have to think UMass could add some value to CUSA. Both in hoops and market wise.

Each division then becomes a lot more regional in football. In basketball they could arrange the schedules to the best teams face off home-away.
01-08-2016 11:23 AM
Advertisement

Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
Don't see us adding UMass or anyone else as football only. Idaho and NMSU were thrown life preservers and NMSU has pursued full membership but the location of both is not ideal. Drop both, add two full members and be done.
01-08-2016 11:24 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
They'll do FBS independence before going the Big Sky.

Which is correct. Don't let Fullerton get his way. Deny him.
01-08-2016 11:29 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(01-08-2016 11:24 AM)Crump1 Wrote:  Don't see us adding UMass or anyone else as football only. Idaho and NMSU were thrown life preservers and NMSU has pursued full membership but the location of both is not ideal. Drop both, add two full members and be done.

Why even add two full members, if a CCG can be achieved with 10?

Just dilutes whatever money you get.
01-08-2016 11:29 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-08-2016 11:24 AM)Crump1 Wrote:  Don't see us adding UMass or anyone else as football only. Idaho and NMSU were thrown life preservers and NMSU has pursued full membership but the location of both is not ideal. Drop both, add two full members and be done.

Why add 2 full members to the SBC?

The revenue split would be better for the SBC with 10 FB and 12 BB than pushing both of those numbers up by 2. In a one bid basketball conference you don't want to expand membership anymore than you have to.

SBC is developing into the G5 football conference for the South while CUSA is becoming the G5 basketball conference with its additions. I can see NMSU or UMass a next logical addition for CUSA based on previous adds.
01-08-2016 11:30 AM
BearcatJerry Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(01-08-2016 10:56 AM)bullet Wrote:  

Never should have left D1AA/FCS in the first place.

The other thing is that this is not the last of these hard conversations that will happen in FBS.
01-08-2016 11:32 AM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

(01-08-2016 11:32 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(01-08-2016 10:56 AM)bullet Wrote:  

Never should have left D1AA/FCS in the first place.

The other thing is that this is not the last of these hard conversations that will happen in FBS.

It was a different time, obviously. You could've said the same thing for Boise, back then. Or a number of other FCS move-ups that have had some success (however you define that) in FBS.

Fact is: moving back to the Big Sky in football casts Idaho down with Idaho St.

That alone should turn the stomach of every single Idaho football fan/booster.

Too much time and investment has been put in. Either stay the course in FBS, or drop the sport.
01-08-2016 11:35 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Idaho is acting crazy. They should be happy in the big sky, works for U of Montana fine.
01-08-2016 11:37 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(01-08-2016 11:37 AM)bluesox Wrote:  Idaho is acting crazy. They should be happy in the big sky, works for U of Montana fine.

Idaho is in the Big Sky and gets to play Montana every year.

Good enough.
01-08-2016 11:40 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(01-08-2016 11:32 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  The other thing is that this is not the last of these hard conversations that will happen in FBS.

It shouldn't be the last such conversation, but the only other two are likely to be at NMSU and UMass.

Any school that is a full member of an FBS conference has the security blanket of a full conference schedule, so can satisfy the 5-home-game requirement without difficulty, and full members are in virtually no danger of ever being kicked out of their conference.
01-08-2016 11:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.