Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

BBall Apathy
Bookmark and Share
TiminMem23 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
BBall Apathy
I really want to care about the bball program, but there has been nothing to be excited about for years. Pastner teams have no attitude, no personality, no grit, etc.

When they play big games against ranked opponents, you expect them to lose and possibly get killed. Does anyone know what his current record is against ranked opponents (AP or Coaches poll at the time Memphis played them)?

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I don't need Pastner to go 135-14 to be drawn back in. But I do need the team to have personality and to pick up some big wins on a more frequent basis. I use the Grizzlies in previous years as an example. Most NBA analysts never believed the Grizz could win a championship. I didn't really believe they could either. But I still went to games and enjoyed watching them play. They were tough and could beat anyone on a given night. Everyone respected them and knew you had to come to play if you were going to beat them. That's what I need in the Tigers. And I don't feel like it's been there in years.

I hope there is a change in coaches sooner than later to give us hope again that we can have Tiger bball back. Right now, they are just another team.

Please, no responses about what it means to be a fan. That is not the point of the argument. I have better things to do with my time and money than support an irrelevant product. That said, I want there to be a good product. It's more fun that way.
01-03-2016 10:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
RE: BBall Apathy
(01-03-2016 10:58 AM)TiminMem23 Wrote:  I really want to care about the bball program, but there has been nothing to be excited about for years. Pastner teams have no attitude, no personality, no grit, etc.

When they play big games against ranked opponents, you expect them to lose and possibly get killed. Does anyone know what his current record is against ranked opponents (AP or Coaches poll at the time Memphis played them)?

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I don't need Pastner to go 135-14 to be drawn back in. But I do need the team to have personality and to pick up some big wins on a more frequent basis. I use the Grizzlies in previous years as an example. Most NBA analysts never believed the Grizz could win a championship. I didn't really believe they could either. But I still went to games and enjoyed watching them play. They were tough and could beat anyone on a given night. Everyone respected them and knew you had to come to play if you were going to beat them. That's what I need in the Tigers. And I don't feel like it's been there in years.

I hope there is a change in coaches sooner than later to give us hope again that we can have Tiger bball back. Right now, they are just another team.

Please, no responses about what it means to be a fan. That is not the point of the argument. I have better things to do with my time and money than support an irrelevant product. That said, I want there to be a good product. It's more fun that way.

In the CA this morning it says we are 0-17 vs AP top 25 excluding the "FoKingz" year 2013-14 when we were 5-6. I think his record vs top 50 rpi is also below .500.
01-03-2016 11:02 AM
Hoots Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Interesting comments, and I don't disagree with a number of things you said. I don't include you among them, but there seems to be a fairweather quality to a large percentage of the fan base. Life is good when you win, but lose some games and people find other things to do. I'm a Miami Dolphins fan, and never miss their games, miserable as it can get! Same goes for the Tigers.

It gets frustrating, and I don't consider myself some kind of Super Fan. Just someone who can't be indifferent. But, to each their own.
01-03-2016 11:12 AM
Smith Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
(01-03-2016 11:02 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 10:58 AM)TiminMem23 Wrote:  I really want to care about the bball program, but there has been nothing to be excited about for years. Pastner teams have no attitude, no personality, no grit, etc.

In the CA this morning it says we are 0-17 vs AP top 25 excluding the "FoKingz" year 2013-14 when we were 5-6. I think his record vs top 50 rpi is also below .500.

That's must be why no one is talking about the football team
01-03-2016 11:18 AM
SpiderMan79x Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I grew up with Memphis basketball as a huge part of my life whether it was game day or offseason. I could recite stats, players, jersey numbers, records and big plays. While I cared about wins and losses, bad years didn't hamper my rabid love for the program. One thing that kept me in Memphis over the years was our program, going to games and being in the middle of the yearly frenzy.

That being said, I have gotten to the point over the last few years that I couldn't even tell you if we were playing a game on any given day or who was on the schedule. The life has been sucked out of the program and I just don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. I can't tell you what offense we run, I have no idea what the "vision" is or any faith that anything will get better with the current staff. You can go back to many previous posts over the years where I defended Pastner, but I can see now that he is not remotely the right guy to be our coach. Sure he is a nice guy and I won't belittle his character, but I wish he was gone.

I don't care if people call me a fair weather fan because I KNOW that is not the case. I love the Tigers and will never root against them, but I also love my health and well being. Thus I choose to look away and not get stressed out and ill over it anymore. We are a laughing stock at this point which is a damn shame. Everyone is welcomed to their own opinion of what they think, and I don't disrespect that at all. If you think all is well, then so be it. If you can watch the product we put on the floor on a yearly bases then kudos to you. If you agree that having mass exodus of players on yearly basis is okay, then what else can anyone say. I just can't watch something I love be slowly destroyed brick by brick. My heart just can't take it.
01-03-2016 11:21 AM
450bench Offline

5-23 against AP to 25. And counting.
01-03-2016 11:49 AM
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

(01-03-2016 11:18 AM)Smith Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 11:02 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  

That's must be why no one is talking about the football team

The Grey Cup was a couple of weeks ago.
01-03-2016 12:15 PM
tigers1125 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tigers

Now the Tigers play harder than the grizz-just don't have right ingredients and some bad coaching at times. Great PG coming in next year will change a lot.
01-03-2016 12:23 PM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

(01-03-2016 12:23 PM)tigers1125 Wrote:  

Now the Tigers play harder than the grizz-just don't have right ingredients and some bad coaching at times. Great PG coming in next year will change a lot.

Who is this great point guard ?
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2016 12:29 PM by Brother Bluto.)
01-03-2016 12:28 PM
dfwtxtiger Offline
All American

(01-03-2016 11:21 AM)SpiderMan79x Wrote:  I grew up with Memphis basketball as a huge part of my life whether it was game day or offseason. I could recite stats, players, jersey numbers, records and big plays. While I cared about wins and losses, bad years didn't hamper my rabid love for the program. One thing that kept me in Memphis over the years was our program, going to games and being in the middle of the yearly frenzy.

That being said, I have gotten to the point over the last few years that I couldn't even tell you if we were playing a game on any given day or who was on the schedule. The life has been sucked out of the program and I just don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. I can't tell you what offense we run, I have no idea what the "vision" is or any faith that anything will get better with the current staff. You can go back to many previous posts over the years where I defended Pastner, but I can see now that he is not remotely the right guy to be our coach. Sure he is a nice guy and I won't belittle his character, but I wish he was gone.

I don't care if people call me a fair weather fan because I KNOW that is not the case. I love the Tigers and will never root against them, but I also love my health and well being. Thus I choose to look away and not get stressed out and ill over it anymore. We are a laughing stock at this point which is a damn shame. Everyone is welcomed to their own opinion of what they think, and I don't disrespect that at all. If you think all is well, then so be it. If you can watch the product we put on the floor on a yearly bases then kudos to you. If you agree that having mass exodus of players on yearly basis is okay, then what else can anyone say. I just can't watch something I love be slowly destroyed brick by brick. My heart just can't take it.

I agree. I love my Tigers, but apathy has taken over. I missed most of the first half, and was surprised with the close score.
Of course, Josh couldn't close the deal, as ususal.

The bottom line is the coach, not the players, not the opponent, not the refs, not the announcers, not the strength coach, not the assistant coaches.

I hope that the powers that be can see that, and make a change before we become irrelevant in basketball. There are many other colleges that have both a strong football and strong basketball program.
Bowen should be able to balance both programs. It should not be "we are a football school now", while throwing the BB program under the bus. I know "football is king", but BB used to be a more relevant program.
This falls on Bowen and Pastner. Pastner should step down for the good of the program, and Bowen needs to make a good hire like he did with the football program.
01-03-2016 12:47 PM
MTigerBlue Offline
Heisman

I guess I'm just a black & white kind of guy, but if 14,000 no-shows out of an 18,000 seat arena isn't apathy, what else would you call it?

And as hard a pill as that kind of turnout is to swallow when you're talking about Tiger basketball, that's not the apathy that's doing the most harm. That award has to go to the people with the power to change it, but not the will.
01-03-2016 11:58 PM
Advertisement

Tiger Greg Offline
1st String

If you guys were apathetic you wouldn't waste your time complaining.
01-04-2016 12:14 AM
Nobody4Prez Offline
All American

Good post and I wish I could have said it as eloquently. I'm just too harsh when I lay my raw feelings out there

There are things to be excited about if we could bounce Pastner now.

Honestly I'd rather see us boot Pastner now and only have a $500k salary allowance for a new head coach to be able to start over.

Give Damon the reigns the rest of the year and see what he can do.

In the meantime have out powers that be begin an intensive search for the very best coach in lower D1 making under $500k.

Have a proven young HC at a lower level take the team at a lower salary then we would normally pay so we can buy off JP.

Give me $500k a yr for 4 yrs guaranteed and I PROMISE my search committee could find a better head coach than Pastner.

Jeremiah Martin is the key to our success

Freshman point learning the ropes this year will be a perfect PG for the new coach

Bring in a fun and exciting new coach to re-energize the base

Pastner JUST ISNT A MEMPHIS TYPE COACH

Good guy and good coach. Just not the type to get Memphians excited.

We need the Bad Boy type coach (doesn't mean cheater)

Just means a coach like Frank Martin, Bobby Huggins, Nolan Richardson in his prime, etc.

We have to find this type coach with potential so we can move forward with out JP and still have the leftover cash to pay him off if he will not settle.

OR do what is really wrong and cut every single perk/funding he gets to make his job so miserable he quits on his own

There just has to be a middle ground.

Final point - WE CAN FIND A BETTER HEAD COACH FOR LESS THAN $1M A YEAR IF JOSH PLAYS GARD BALL

I'm just very intrigued to see what Damon could do in an interim position to finish 2016.
01-04-2016 12:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
450bench Offline

(01-04-2016 12:14 AM)Tiger Greg Wrote:  If you guys were apathetic you wouldn't waste your time complaining.

Have you looked at the attendance lately? And why aren't you complaining? Most fans are want to be excited about their team. Maybe you are just content with mediocrity. I would say most fans aren't satisfied with that.
01-04-2016 12:26 AM
Tiger Greg Offline
1st String

I guess it all depends how you define mediocrity.

In my eye, this team is pretty good. Better times ahead if some people don't tear it down on its way up.
01-04-2016 12:36 AM
450bench Offline

(01-04-2016 12:36 AM)Tiger Greg Wrote:  I guess it all depends how you define mediocrity.

In my eye, this team is pretty good. Better times ahead if some people don't tear it down on its way up.

The only "some people" would be Josh and he's been doing that for a while now.
01-04-2016 12:38 AM
Advertisement

Tiger Greg Offline
1st String

No, the "some people" are the ones who ***** and whine about everything from the players to the coach to the AD to the President.

I can say more but I'm civil in my posts.
01-04-2016 12:45 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(01-04-2016 12:22 AM)Pastner4Prez Wrote:  Good post and I wish I could have said it as eloquently. I'm just too harsh when I lay my raw feelings out there

Honestly I'd rather see us boot Pastner now and only have a $500k salary allowance for a new head coach to be able to start over.

In the meantime have out powers that be begin an intensive search for the very best coach in lower D1 making under $500k.

Have a proven young HC at a lower level take the team at a lower salary then we would normally pay so we can buy off JP.

Give me $500k a yr for 4 yrs guaranteed and I PROMISE my search committee could find a better head coach than Pastner.

Freshman point learning the ropes this year will be a perfect PG for the new coach

Just means a coach like Frank Martin, Bobby Huggins, Nolan Richardson in his prime, etc.

We have to find this type coach with potential so we can move forward with out JP and still have the leftover cash to pay him off if he will not settle.

OR do what is really wrong and cut every single perk/funding he gets to make his job so miserable he quits on his own

Final point - WE CAN FIND A BETTER HEAD COACH FOR LESS THAN $1M A YEAR IF JOSH PLAYS GARD BALL

I'm just very intrigued to see what Damon could do in an interim position to finish 2016.

or we could just let him finish the next 2 months while the money guys look for the next guy.
01-04-2016 01:00 AM
Penny Lane Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tigers &Tigers
(01-04-2016 12:22 AM)Pastner4Prez Wrote:  Good post and I wish I could have said it as eloquently. I'm just too harsh when I lay my raw feelings out there

Martin is not a PG right now; struggles mightily getting offense started in half court, telegraphs all of his passes and can't break full court pressure.

In answer to an earlier post, Charlie Moore is the great PG we've signed for next year. Plays PG for #1 team in Chicago and #23 in nation. Numbers are like 25 ppg, 5 assists, 4 reb, 4 steals per game I believe. Martin will be playing behind him.
01-04-2016 01:16 AM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
It's freaky bad to watch sometimes, but I watch. Can't not watch it.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2016 01:50 AM by snowtiger.)
01-04-2016 01:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.