Vindictive refs.
01-02-2016 08:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rob
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
RE: 41 Team Fouls
The fouls kept us in it even if it was disgusting to watch.
01-02-2016 08:47 PM
Quote this message in a reply
midtowncowboy Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(01-02-2016 08:47 PM)bubbapt Wrote:  Sets a new Memphis records.

Vindictive refs.

One called more than the other two combined against us.
01-02-2016 08:50 PM
Antonio5fan Offline
All American

I Root For: MemphisTigers
(01-02-2016 08:47 PM)Rob Wrote:  The fouls kept us in it even if it was disgusting to watch.

Question: How did sending S.C. to the line more keep us in it? The 41 fouls were called on the Tigers.
01-02-2016 08:50 PM
TigersRuleAll Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Lol at our fans blaming the refs for this loss. The fact is we are totally undisciplined, lacking in fundamentals, and play street ball.
01-02-2016 08:51 PM
Rob
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(01-02-2016 08:50 PM)Antonio5fan Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 08:47 PM)Rob Wrote:  The fouls kept us in it even if it was disgusting to watch.

Question: How did sending S.C. to the line more keep us in it? The 41 fouls were called on the Tigers.

Because we aren't good enough offensively to play them straight up. The refs not allowing either team get into a flow definitely helps us and naturally kept the game close. Do you think if the refs had just let everything go we were going to beat them straight up? Especially with our best player playing injured and ineffective?
01-02-2016 08:54 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Antonio5fan Offline
All American

I Root For: MemphisTigers
(01-02-2016 08:54 PM)Rob Wrote:  

Because we aren't good enough offensively to play them straight up. The refs not allowing either team get into a flow definitely helps us and naturally kept the game close. Do you think if the refs had just let everything go we were going to beat them straight up? Especially with our best player playing injured and ineffective?

The Tigers rely on speed and a fast pace game because there is no muscle to speak of to deal with bigger bangers underneath. Calling touch fouls on every trip down the floor definitely slows the game down which benefits S.C. The refs were letting the SC big guys just hammer our guys inside with no calls. If you record these games and watch them back it's easy to see when the patterns develop. Shaq tried too hard to play physical but you see what happened, bench city. He did some stupid things but I was glad to see him play aggressively. He just ran out of gas in the second half. Two of our guards started shooting from beyond their range and two played too much one on one. Some of this was probably Frank Martin's brand of defense. One thing the Tigers did was hustle and that's all you can ask of them.
01-02-2016 09:10 PM
BigDye1976 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Memphis
I think we out played SC the stats say we did so I will agree. Refs did not call it the same both ways, when they run over the back of your player and stomp on his head and they call the foul on your player, I think I can say the refs suck the big one...
01-02-2016 09:16 PM
450bench Offline

Just a hypothetical question, would we have had that many fouls if Dana Kirk or Cal or Bartow been running the show? Obviously not since today was a record but you get my drift.
01-02-2016 09:25 PM
bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

Donators

I think Shaq's antics kept us in the game at first, but then the refs decided to go full sheriff.
01-02-2016 09:45 PM
tiger1016 Offline
Hall of Famer

41 Team Fouls
(01-02-2016 09:10 PM)Antonio5fan Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 08:54 PM)Rob Wrote:  

The Tigers rely on speed and a fast pace game because there is no muscle to speak of to deal with bigger bangers underneath. Calling touch fouls on every trip down the floor definitely slows the game down which benefits S.C. The refs were letting the SC big guys just hammer our guys inside with no calls. If you record these games and watch them back it's easy to see when the patterns develop. Shaq tried too hard to play physical but you see what happened, bench city. He did some stupid things but I was glad to see him play aggressively. He just ran out of gas in the second half. Two of our guards started shooting from beyond their range and two played too much one on one. Some of this was probably Frank Martin's brand of defense. One thing the Tigers did was hustle and that's all you can ask of them.

The foul calls didn't allow SC to get in any sort of flow either. Against a good team, that works well for us. We are better when the game is helter skelter without any flow. If SC had settled down, we would have been throttled especially with Dedric not at full strength.
01-02-2016 09:48 PM
Advertisement

k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(01-02-2016 09:25 PM)450bench Wrote:  Just a hypothetical question, would we have had that many fouls if Dana Kirk or Cal or Bartow been running the show? Obviously not since today was a record but you get my drift.

that was my point in an earlier thread I mistakenly started

and the answer is a resounding NO
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2016 11:38 AM by k2tigers.)
01-02-2016 09:49 PM
450bench Offline

(01-02-2016 09:49 PM)k2tigers Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 09:25 PM)450bench Wrote:  Just a hypothetical question, would we have had that many fouls if Dana Kirk or Cal or Bartow been running the show? Obviously not since today was a record but you get my drift.

that was my point in an earlier thread I mistkanly started

and the answer is a resounding NO

You are right K2
01-02-2016 09:55 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
(01-02-2016 09:25 PM)450bench Wrote:  Just a hypothetical question, would we have had that many fouls if Dana Kirk or Cal or Bartow been running the show? the guys played defense instead of fouling?

fyp

It's not like USCe was playing foul free. 6 of the Tigers fouls were in the last minute. SC made 8 during that time.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2016 10:15 PM by salukiblue.)
01-02-2016 10:06 PM
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
Wow...SC attempted more free throws than they did shots from the floor. 46 of 63 from the line?!?! We outscore them by 6 from the floor?!?!

I hope we got a free case of Vaseline with that game...
01-02-2016 10:11 PM
EdmondTiger Offline
Special Teams

I would love to hear what Jack Eaton would have said about these refs! Regardless of whether Pastner should have gotten T'd up, these refs were bad and had an adverse affect on the game.
01-02-2016 10:28 PM
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
Another loss another excuse
01-02-2016 10:45 PM
selleg1 Offline
1st String

(01-02-2016 08:50 PM)midtowncowboy Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 08:47 PM)bubbapt Wrote:  Sets a new Memphis records.

Vindictive refs.

One called more than the other two combined against us.

I would think 99 total free throws would be a record also.
01-02-2016 11:12 PM
MemphisTigerPawr Offline
Jesus is the risen LORD and Savior

I Root For: TIGERS

Donators
No way. Most coaches realize they must take up for their team and players to keep them from getting screwed like this. It should be a natural coaching instinct and at some point the coach is going to draw attention to it so that it stops. Pastner lacks that instinct.

I know folks here wont believe this but I promise you my youngest daughters 5th grade basketball team is better coached than any of Josh Pastners teams. I don't know how this is possible, but I watch that girls team execute after time outs, or run clock when they need to, and the girls know where they are supposed to be offensively and defensively in several sets. They know how to pass over a press and the are 9-10 years old.

I believe Pastner has great leadership qualities and can be a great example for young men, but he does not command any respect from the officials on the court.

A less than ethical officiating crew, when they see they are calling a Memphis game, could have their close friends bet on any number of oddball scenarios and the officiating crew could easily deliver any number of calls without the first peep out of CJP. I know this occurred vs Louisville at the forum, not sure about tonight, but tonight it was very strange for South Carolina to shoot 63 free throws against a team ranked #5 in the nation at getting to the FT line. We committed 14 more personal fouls than South Carolina and had 5 players foul out and 3 more finish with four fouls.

South Carolina made 46 Fts. The record for most FTs made in a NCAA game is 56 from 1999. The most attempts by one team is 79, record way back in 1953. The 76 free throws made by both teams combined is only 12 behind the record 88, also in the books for over 65 years now. This was a very strange game and Memphis is now #1 in the nation at FTA per game. South Carolina after shooting inexplicably 63 free throws tripled their average FTA per game against Memphis and is now 12th nationally in FTA per game.

Anybody who says this game was not unusually officiated, or does not question the effect coaching had on the disparity present in this game only need look at the NCAA all time record books. 8 Tigers with 4 or more fouls. 2 Gamecocks with 4 fouls and 0 Gamecocks fouled out. South Carolina almost shot twice as many free throws as Memphis who now leads the nation in FTA per game (1.75x more)

This game was a definite head scratcher, I'm sure some of the folks who keep stats (I miss JMS Tiger) can better elaborate on these statistics but it safe to say we saw records set for Div 1 games this year, particularly it FTA by any one team in a game with South Carolinas 63. That is mind boggling when we are now the current #1 rated team in the NCAA at FTA per game.

Yes there was something strange going on tonight and anyone who didn't see it during the game, need only look up the record books. That CJP barely uttered a peep and failed to even pick up a T becomes even more telling in light of these stats and Kirk or Cal would have both probably been tossed from this game due to the obvious inconsistent way the game was called in favor of the Gamecocks.

IMO, coaching made all the difference in this game. Once Frank Martin began to work the officials, Pastners team did not come close to getting a fair shake from the officials. It is Pastners team and responsibility to stand up for his players and tonight, the stats would seem to point out a real problem our bench failed to even attempt to correct.

This would not have happened with Cal or Kirk coaching, of course those days are gone but nonetheless this echoes something several have pointed out (including myself) for the last few years. Pastner does not have his players backs in the game and it affects their effort on the court and our record, especially in the big games. Make of it what you will, despite all this I thought our team played valiantly.
01-03-2016 12:57 AM
Claw Online
Hall of Famer

(01-02-2016 10:28 PM)EdmondTiger Wrote:  I would love to hear what Jack Eaton would have said about these refs! Regardless of whether Pastner should have gotten T'd up, these refs were bad and had an adverse affect on the game.

I think Jack Eaton might have been ejected from the arena.
01-03-2016 09:20 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.