Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

For Those Thinking Pastner Will Automatically Take a Reduced Buyout , Ask Notre Dame
Bookmark and Share
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity
For Those Thinking Pastner Will Automatically Take a Reduced Buyout , Ask Notre Dame
Tomorrow, 6 years & 30 days after being fired, is Charlie Weis' last day on Notre Dame's payroll. His buyout likely comes to $19 million.

It seems assumed by many, across many threads, that we won't owe Pastner $10.6M if he is let go around April 1st. And the reasoning is . . ., just because we want him to take a lower buyout, I guess.

Seems like I hear that a lot of fired coaches just take their normal payments and let the contract play out. My guess is that Pastner would do the same.

IMO, let's hope we have a good year, and Pastner gets another job offer and leaves on his own.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2015 05:06 PM by Tigx.)
12-31-2015 04:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Irish Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tigers
RE: For Those Thinking Pastner Will Automatically Take a Reduced Buyout , Ask Notre Dame
(12-31-2015 04:54 PM)Tigx Wrote:  Tomorrow, 6 years & 30 days after being fired, is Charlie Weis' last day on Notre Dame's payroll. His buyout likely comes to $19 million.

It seems assumed by many, across many threads, that we won't owe Pastner $10.6M if he is let go around April 1st. And the reasoning is . . ., just because we want him to take a lower buyout, I guess.

Seems like I hear that a lot of fired coaches just take their normal payments and let the contract play out. My guess is that Pastner would do the same.

IMO, let's hope we have a good year, and Pastner gets another job offer and leaves on his own.

It would have to be a really good year for him to get an offer equal to what he has here. And if that good, why would we want him to leave?
12-31-2015 05:12 PM
80sTiger Offline
Why Am I Stuck on 'Water Engineer' ?

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: For Those Thinking Pastner Will Automatically Take a Reduced Buyout , Ask Notre Dame
I saw this too ... immediately had your same thought. I keep hearing the money is there.
12-31-2015 05:24 PM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
Frame-up Josh in a hooker sting with pics. This is Memphis, not Notre Dame.
12-31-2015 05:26 PM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

Irish, he won't get an offer equal to what he has here, no one will be that stupid.

Why would he take such an offer? Quality of life, fresh start on a new contract, doesn't want to get fired, easier to get a job when you already have a job . . .

More coaches move laterally these days when in bad situations: Cuonzo to Cal, Buzz to Va Tech. Makes sense to me, I can't understand why more coaches don't do the same. Move when you need to, get a fresh start on a new contract. Almost impossible to get fired within 3 years with all the guaranteed wins at most top-50 hoops schools.

To your question "why would we want him to leave?" Assuming you aren't trolling, I guess you didn't watch the UT Arlington game or the Ole Miss game or just about any game over the last 6+ years when Pastner coached against near equal talent.
12-31-2015 05:28 PM
roundhouse74 Offline
Cynic

A lot of big donors want to contribute to something that is permanent to perpetuate their legacy. It's a lot easier to get someone to buy into the "John Doe School of Economics" or "John Doe Athletics Facility" than the "John Doe Basketball Coach Buyout."
12-31-2015 05:31 PM
Advertisement

Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Wishful thinking and blind disdain by Paster detractors will not reduce by one penny the amount owed Pastner under the contract.

I need a good laugh so I hope someone posts that Pastner should take a reduced amount or ask someone else to pick up the tab when the poster would not dream of departing with any money owned him or her or spend their own funds on the buyout.
12-31-2015 05:35 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(12-31-2015 05:12 PM)Irish Wrote:  
(12-31-2015 04:54 PM)Tigx Wrote:  Tomorrow, 6 years & 30 days after being fired, is Charlie Weis' last day on Notre Dame's payroll. His buyout likely comes to $19 million.

It would have to be a really good year for him to get an offer equal to what he has here. And if that good, why would we want him to leave?

You poor soul. Prepare for an onslaught to your reasoned post.
12-31-2015 05:38 PM
450bench Offline

Each situation is different. In every way. What will be will be.
12-31-2015 05:40 PM
Irish Offline
2nd String

(12-31-2015 05:28 PM)Tigx Wrote:  Irish, he won't get an offer equal to what he has here, no one will be that stupid.

Why would he take such an offer? Quality of life, fresh start on a new contract, doesn't want to get fired, easier to get a job when you already have a job . . .

More coaches move laterally these days when in bad situations: Cuonzo to Cal, Buzz to Va Tech. Makes sense to me, I can't understand why more coaches don't do the same. Move when you need to, get a fresh start on a new contract. Almost impossible to get fired within 3 years with all the guaranteed wins at most top-50 hoops schools.

To your question "why would we want him to leave?" Assuming you aren't trolling, I guess you didn't watch the UT Arlington game or the Ole Miss game or just about any game over the last 6+ years when Pastner coached against near equal talent.

I guess it's possible he would leave for less money, but not much less. Not trolling and I've seen them all. My point is to get an acceptable offer I think he would need to get two, maybe three wins in the tournament. If he does that and considering his overall record, I doubt he would want to go.
12-31-2015 05:41 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-31-2015 04:54 PM)Tigx Wrote:  It seems assumed by many, across many threads, that we won't owe Pastner $10.6M if he is let go around April 1st. And the reasoning is . . ., just because we want him to take a lower buyout, I guess.

Seen worse--- actually about an '8' on the "reasoning scale" here.
12-31-2015 05:47 PM
Advertisement

Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

[/quote]

I guess it's possible he would leave for less money, but not much less. Not trolling and I've seen them all. My point is to get an acceptable offer I think he would need to get two, maybe three wins in the tournament. If he does that and considering his overall record, I doubt he would want to go.
[/quote]

Could be right, Irish, here's why I think Josh might leave on his own.

I think coaching college hoops is all Josh wants to do. Probably for another 25 years. If he is thinking long-term, it makes a lot of sense to leave on his own and not get canned. I can see him taking a step back, going somewhere like Colorado, Rice, Purdue. Get a 5 year contract and see if things work out better.

By all accounts from people who know him, Josh listens to everyone, and cares what others think. He has to be absolutely miserable knowing 75% of Tiger fans want him gone.
12-31-2015 05:50 PM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-31-2015 05:47 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  
(12-31-2015 04:54 PM)Tigx Wrote:  It seems assumed by many, across many threads, that we won't owe Pastner $10.6M if he is let go around April 1st. And the reasoning is . . ., just because we want him to take a lower buyout, I guess.

Seen worse--- actually about an '8' on the "reasoning scale" here.

Funny and accurate TIGERCITY
12-31-2015 05:51 PM
ricole14 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Lawdy! Lawdy! Will it ever end?
12-31-2015 05:53 PM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

(12-31-2015 05:53 PM)ricole14 Wrote:  Lawdy! Lawdy! Will it ever end?

Some April day.
12-31-2015 06:08 PM
Irish Offline
2nd String

[/quote]

Could be right, Irish, here's why I think Josh might leave on his own.

I think coaching college hoops is all Josh wants to do. Probably for another 25 years. If he is thinking long-term, it makes a lot of sense to leave on his own and not get canned. I can see him taking a step back, going somewhere like Colorado, Rice, Purdue. Get a 5 year contract and see if things work out better.

By all accounts from people who know him, Josh listens to everyone, and cares what others think. He has to be absolutely miserable knowing 75% of Tiger fans want him gone.
[/quote]

I agree with everything you say except the 75% part. Don't think that is correct, but have nothing but my opinion to back it up. But then neither do you. Suspect his support would skyrocket if he makds the tourney. Anyway I think we are looking at 17 to 18 wins and that will make all this discussion moot.
12-31-2015 06:09 PM
Advertisement

TIGER DENO Offline
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
(12-31-2015 05:26 PM)cotton1991 Wrote:  Frame-up Josh in a hooker sting with pics. This is Memphis, not Notre Dame.

He could just steal a ball from Auburn07-coffee3
12-31-2015 06:09 PM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

Irish, I actually thought I was being generous with the 75% part.

Supporters like you think it's less than 75% detractors. People like me who honestly think just about any local high school coach would coach circles around him with equal talent think it's 90%.

I thought 75% was meeting in the middle. Who knows?
12-31-2015 06:14 PM
Irish Offline
2nd String

50% or 75 % doesn't matter. I'm sure it takes a toll on him. Let's hope things work out for all concerned. I would like to see folks dial back the personal vilification we sometimes see on this board.
12-31-2015 06:32 PM
Penny Lane Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tigers &Tigers

The logic behind Pastner doing so has to do with the concept of the present value of future payments.
12-31-2015 06:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.