Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

LaTech OC and FIU Special Teams coach
Bookmark and Share
isidnirb Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
LaTech OC and FIU Special Teams coach
Any feedback on them? Both are moving on to ECU as part of the new staff. I know Petersen was pretty successful at Marshall and LaTech.
12-31-2015 09:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CoachMaclid Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
RE: LaTech OC and FIU Special Teams coach
Petersen was the QB of Marshall's 1987 National Championship team (basically the first in Marshall's decade at the top of I-AA). He was the QB coach for Chad Pennington and Byron Leftwich in his first stint coaching at Marshall, and in his second stint at Marshall saw the early development of Rekeem Cato. He's been successful everywhere he's been, so I'd rank this as a terrific hire for ECU (I think he was one of the higher paid assistants in our league already, so I'm guessing he's not coming cheap for you?)

There's a line of thinking (maybe not universal though) that Petersen may be the frontrunner for the Marshall head coach job if/when Holliday leaves.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2015 10:06 AM by CoachMaclid.)
12-31-2015 10:02 AM
isidnirb Offline
1st String

(12-31-2015 10:02 AM)CoachMaclid Wrote:  Petersen was the QB of Marshall's 1987 National Championship team (basically the first in Marshall's decade at the top of I-AA). He was the QB coach for Chad Pennington and Byron Leftwich in his first stint coaching at Marshall, and in his second stint at Marshall saw the early development of Rekeem Cato. He's been successful everywhere he's been, so I'd rank this as a terrific hire for ECU (I think he was one of the higher paid assistants in our league already, so I'm guessing he's not coming cheap for you?)

There's a line of thinking (maybe not universal though) that Petersen may be the frontrunner for the Marshall head coach job if/when Holliday leaves.

Thanks. I believe with all our new hires, we understand that they may/will move on to big jobs with success. That's ok with us if they recruit well and lead us back to winning.
12-31-2015 10:15 AM
winston70 Offline
All American

I Root For: La Tech
Peterson is a good QB coach but not sure about his play calling abilities since Skip started calling the plays in 2014 and this year and our offense improved. Of course we had better QB's the last 2 years as well. Should be a good pickup for ECU.
12-31-2015 10:23 AM
Advertisement

B easy Offline
1st String

What offense does LA Tech run? Some kinda spread?
12-31-2015 11:25 AM
techdawg88 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Tech has already replaced Petersen with Tim Rattay
12-31-2015 11:30 AM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

(12-31-2015 11:25 AM)B easy Wrote:  What offense does LA Tech run? Some kinda spread?

Smorgasbord of things Holtz has picked up over the years from the very rare up-tempo spread to Power T formation. 03-lmfao Mostly just pro-style play action stuff with zone read runs. Petersen would probably be more like the Marshall offense.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2015 12:10 PM by T_Won1.)
12-31-2015 12:09 PM
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
http://eastcarolina.247sports.com/Board/...#M42418589

Was going to bring this up but since this thread was already started...
12-31-2015 06:22 PM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

(12-31-2015 06:22 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  http://eastcarolina.247sports.com/Board/...#M42418589

Oh, I didn't know he was going to be the OC. I can give you a little more information on his 3 years at Tech.

Year 1: Skip hired him from Marshall because he was the QB coach at Marshall and wanted to be an OC and call plays. He inherited an offense with 10 new starters and only 1 good player... Kenneth Dixon. He wanted to run an up-tempo spread, but the QB, OL, and receivers sucked and we could only run the ball because Dixon is a freak of nature stud. We went 4-8, averaged 19 points a game and 95% of Tech fans wanted to fire Holtz after game 4.

Year 2: Holtz took over the offense because his job was on the line. He brought in TE's and FB's to supplement Dixon and Petersen went and found a 5th year transfer QB from Iowa who was 3rd team and wanting to play somewhere. Petersen was very valuable in teaching this transfer the offense in a very short period of time (he came to Tech in the Summer before Fall camp). The QB had an outstanding year and Tech went 9-5 and won a bowl game.

Year 3: The QB graduated, and Holtz/Petersen attracted the interest of Jeff Driskel, who was looking to find a place where he could put up big numbers after failing miserably at Florida. He talked to the Iowa QB who spoke well of Holtz/Petersen/Tech players and decided to come to Tech. Petersen had him for Spring and Summer and Driskel ended up passing for over 4,000 yards (more than he passed for in 3 years combined at Florida).

So, while his play-calling was taken away after Year 1, it wasn't his fault as he inherited a VERY inexperienced team without much experience or talent. Holtz had to take over the play-calling to save his career. But, he watched the games in the booth and kept constant contact with Holtz advising what he was seeing from the defense and advising play calls. It was play-calling by committee. His QB development was exceptional with the 2 transfers who found enormous success in a very short time in the program.

He's a great QB coach and I think he is smart and will be a good play-caller. Just a bad situation he inherited at Tech.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2015 08:05 PM by T_Won1.)
12-31-2015 08:01 PM
isidnirb Offline
1st String

(12-31-2015 08:01 PM)T_Won1 Wrote:  
(12-31-2015 06:22 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  http://eastcarolina.247sports.com/Board/...#M42418589

Oh, I didn't know he was going to be the OC. I can give you a little more information on his 3 years at Tech.

Year 1: Skip hired him from Marshall because he was the QB coach at Marshall and wanted to be an OC and call plays. He inherited an offense with 10 new starters and only 1 good player... Kenneth Dixon. He wanted to run an up-tempo spread, but the QB, OL, and receivers sucked and we could only run the ball because Dixon is a freak of nature stud. We went 4-8, averaged 19 points a game and 95% of Tech fans wanted to fire Holtz after game 4.

Year 2: Holtz took over the offense because his job was on the line. He brought in TE's and FB's to supplement Dixon and Petersen went and found a 5th year transfer QB from Iowa who was 3rd team and wanting to play somewhere. Petersen was very valuable in teaching this transfer the offense in a very short period of time (he came to Tech in the Summer before Fall camp). The QB had an outstanding year and Tech went 9-5 and won a bowl game.

Year 3: The QB graduated, and Holtz/Petersen attracted the interest of Jeff Driskel, who was looking to find a place where he could put up big numbers after failing miserably at Florida. He talked to the Iowa QB who spoke well of Holtz/Petersen/Tech players and decided to come to Tech. Petersen had him for Spring and Summer and Driskel ended up passing for over 4,000 yards (more than he passed for in 3 years combined at Florida).

So, while his play-calling was taken away after Year 1, it wasn't his fault as he inherited a VERY inexperienced team without much experience or talent. Holtz had to take over the play-calling to save his career. But, he watched the games in the booth and kept constant contact with Holtz advising what he was seeing from the defense and advising play calls. It was play-calling by committee. His QB development was exceptional with the 2 transfers who found enormous success in a very short time in the program.

He's a great QB coach and I think he is smart and will be a good play-caller. Just a bad situation he inherited at Tech.

Thank you. Great feedback and info. He'll get a lot of talent next year at ECU. Solid transfers and injured players waiting to join the group.
12-31-2015 09:06 PM
Advertisement

BRtransplant Offline
1st String

I Root For: La Tech
(12-31-2015 09:06 PM)isidnirb Wrote:  
(12-31-2015 08:01 PM)T_Won1 Wrote:  

Thank you. Great feedback and info. He'll get a lot of talent next year at ECU. Solid transfers and injured players waiting to join the group.

Petersen will do an excellent job at ECU. Very good hire for you guys.
01-01-2016 07:24 AM
polkhigh Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WVU Marshall
Hope Petersen works out for ECU. I'd bet money that's Marshall's next head coach after Doc.
01-01-2016 07:42 AM
isidnirb Offline
1st String

(01-01-2016 07:42 AM)polkhigh Wrote:  Hope Petersen works out for ECU. I'd bet money that's Marshall's next head coach after Doc.

04-cheers I'm great with that...if he gets hired away it means he is doing very well at ECU.
01-01-2016 11:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.