Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

LSU caps a terrible season with a big win
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
LSU caps a terrible season with a big win
That's right, terrible. Going 9-3 with losses to Alabama and Ole Miss (and Arkansas), I wonder how LSU will ever recover from that season, no wonder Les Miles almost got fired, you just can't perform so poorly year in and year out.

And for those who couldn't tell, I was being sarcastic.
12-30-2015 01:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
RE: LSU caps a terrible season with a big win
Same type of season that got Richt fired. Fan bases are nuts.

Sent from my BlackBerry Z30 using Tapatalk.
12-30-2015 07:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
(12-30-2015 01:30 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  That's right, terrible. Going 9-3 with losses to Alabama and Ole Miss (and Arkansas), I wonder how LSU will ever recover from that season, no wonder Les Miles almost got fired, you just can't perform so poorly year in and year out.

ya, and really should have been a 10 win season...the McNeese State game was cancelled.

What really sent LSU in a tailspin is getting their heads kicked in again by Alabama....they've been on a losing streak with Bama since 2011. They can't beat Bama
12-30-2015 09:45 AM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

(12-30-2015 07:22 AM)panama Wrote:  Same type of season that got Richt fired. Fan bases are nuts.

Sent from my BlackBerry Z30 using Tapatalk.

With Richt, I feel like Georgia fans felt they should have gotten their due, and their BCS title along with all of these other SEC schools getting titles....LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Florida

Richt came up short too many times....they ALSO got their heads beat in by Bama this year

Alabama firmly owns this conference now
12-30-2015 09:47 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(12-30-2015 09:45 AM)EvilVodka Wrote:  
(12-30-2015 01:30 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  That's right, terrible. Going 9-3 with losses to Alabama and Ole Miss (and Arkansas), I wonder how LSU will ever recover from that season, no wonder Les Miles almost got fired, you just can't perform so poorly year in and year out.

ya, and really should have been a 10 win season...the McNeese State game was cancelled.

What really sent LSU in a tailspin is getting their heads kicked in again by Alabama....they've been on a losing streak with Bama since 2011. They can't beat Bama

This was a dream matchup for LSU. Texas Tech was next to last in total defense. Couldn't readily find rushing defense by team, but that was their weak spot, so they were probably easily last in rushing defense.
12-30-2015 10:08 AM
Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
LSU people at the university, booster, alumni, and fan level had a lengthy meltdown after getting crushed by Bama for a 5th straight loss to them.

Their meltdown was so bad they almost pulled one of the dumbest things in college football over the last 30 years and fire Les Miles.

Tom Osborne once lost 6 or 7 bowl games in a row right before winning national titles. Osborne also had a 6 game losing streak to Oklahoma once.

What did Osborne end up doing? Winning a lot of conference titles, national titles , Heismans, etc.

Less has won conference titles, a national title, and lot of big wins. So they slipped some. So what. Work at fixing the issues to get back to the top and if a few years pass and they are not able to get back to the top, then Les Miles retires and they start over with a new head coach that isn't likely to be as good.
12-30-2015 10:43 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(12-30-2015 10:43 AM)Nebraskafan Wrote:  LSU people at the university, booster, alumni, and fan level had a lengthy meltdown after getting crushed by Bama for a 5th straight loss to them.

Their meltdown was so bad they almost pulled one of the dumbest things in college football over the last 30 years and fire Les Miles.

Tom Osborne once lost 6 or 7 bowl games in a row right before winning national titles. Osborne also had a 6 game losing streak to Oklahoma once.

What did Osborne end up doing? Winning a lot of conference titles, national titles , Heismans, etc.

FWIW, Osbourne didn't become a better coach. Tired of always losing to Oklahoma or some Florida school in the big one, he sold his soul to get shady California and Florida talent to get over the hump. He became Barry Switzer which allowed him to win titles like Switzer did. 07-coffee3

As for LSU, if I was an alumnus, I would want Les Miles gone as well. The goal is to win conference and national titles, not middling-level bowl games, and Miles is clearly inferior to Nick Saban. I would want to take the risk of hiring a new coach who could take the program down to 6-6 level but has the possibility of surpassing Saban than to go 9-3 and win the Texas Bowl but know that LSU has no chance to win the SEC or national titles.

And that's where LSU is at right now.
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2015 10:55 AM by quo vadis.)
12-30-2015 10:46 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(12-30-2015 10:46 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(12-30-2015 10:43 AM)Nebraskafan Wrote:  LSU people at the university, booster, alumni, and fan level had a lengthy meltdown after getting crushed by Bama for a 5th straight loss to them.

FWIW, Osbourne didn't become a better coach. Tired of always losing to Oklahoma or some Florida school in the big one, he sold his soul to get shady California and Florida talent to get over the hump. He became Barry Switzer which allowed him to win titles like Switzer did. 07-coffee3

As for LSU, if I was an alumnus, I would want Les Miles gone as well. The goal is to win conference and national titles, not middling-level bowl games, and Miles is clearly inferior to Nick Saban. I would want to take the risk of hiring a new coach who could take the program down to 6-6 level but has the possibility of surpassing Saban than to go 9-3 and win the Texas Bowl but know that LSU has no chance to win the SEC or national titles.

Les is clearly doing some things really well as successful as he has been. Because he is one of the dumbest game day coaches in the country. If he left right at kickoff and came back as the game was over, his teams would do better. Its not just the losses to Alabama, but his boneheaded clock management and game management.
12-30-2015 11:04 AM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

He'd run through an easy Big 8 schedule, get to a bowl, and get blasted by FSU or Miami. So he went out and got some of those speedy athletes

He adapted at least...I'd say that's good coaching

As for LSU, it's hard to say what to do....Les Miles is an excellent recruiter, and is still bringing in top notch talent. You don't want to end up like Florida, where you are constantly having to rebuild your recruiting pipeline because you keep switching in new coaches....the Gator D this year was Muschamp's baby. We'll see how Florida does the next few years....

I definitely think Alabama has solidified their grip on this conference though...Ole Miss is beating them lately, but Saban will start circling that date on the calender just the way they've been doing with LSU and A&M. A&M had that one win, and since then they've gotten destroyed by Alabama
12-30-2015 11:25 AM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

(12-30-2015 11:04 AM)bullet Wrote:  

Les is clearly doing some things really well as successful as he has been. Because he is one of the dumbest game day coaches in the country. If he left right at kickoff and came back as the game was over, his teams would do better. Its not just the losses to Alabama, but his boneheaded clock management and game management.

Les lacks offensive diversity and versatility....LSU has a good offense. They can run over people. But Bama has the strongest front 7 in the game every year. They shut down the run and force your QB to make plays...since no one in the SEC has a passing attack worth a damn, they all get slaughtered
12-30-2015 11:28 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
I'm not going to pretend to intimately know the situation at LSU, to know Les's tendencies, etc.

But I'll say this to any fan of any program that ends up 10-3 (they would've beat McNeese), winning a bowl game, and wants to fire it's head coach: if you're stupid enough to do that, then you rightfully deserve a generation of futility.
12-30-2015 11:37 AM
Advertisement

b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
LSU year in and year out has as much talent as any team in the country, including Alabama. I absolutely get their frustration with consistently putting mega talent in the NFL on offense yet consistently not being all that great on offense. It's all on Les he's an OL coach who thinks he knows offense and won't just hire a guy who runs an offense from this century and get out of the way.
12-30-2015 01:28 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Re: RE: LSU caps a terrible season with a big win

Yes, game day is his real weakness. Stubborn, will stick to a game plan no matter how bad it is failing.
12-30-2015 01:30 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(12-30-2015 01:28 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  LSU year in and year out has as much talent as any team in the country, including Alabama. I absolutely get their frustration with consistently putting mega talent in the NFL on offense yet consistently not being all that great on offense. It's all on Les he's an OL coach who thinks he knows offense and won't just hire a guy who runs an offense from this century and get out of the way.

Phooey on that nonsense.

I applaud SEC teams for running pro-style, running-based offensive schemes. It's football, not basketball. 05-nono
12-30-2015 01:37 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(12-30-2015 11:37 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  I'm not going to pretend to intimately know the situation at LSU, to know Les's tendencies, etc.

But I'll say this to any fan of any program that ends up 10-3 (they would've beat McNeese), winning a bowl game, and wants to fire it's head coach: if you're stupid enough to do that, then you rightfully deserve a generation of futility.

(12-30-2015 01:30 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Yes, game day is his real weakness. Stubborn, will stick to a game plan no matter how bad it is failing.

That, and he cannot recruit a good quarterback to save his career....

P.S. My favorite Les moment was when he was skipping weirdly down the sideline the other way as his quarterback stood there befuddled, wondering whether to spike the ball while time ran out....

I can't find that gif file, but found these:

[Image: les-miles.jpg?w=640&h=427&crop=1]

[Image: les-nothing-in-there-11-3-12.gif]

[Image: cfblesmilesgrass.gif]
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2015 04:40 PM by TerryD.)
12-30-2015 04:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MplsBison Offline
Banned

LSU fans obviously can't stand losing to Bama.
12-30-2015 05:06 PM
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
It's always a matter of perspective. Bobby Bowden coached for 34 seasons at FSU winning over 300 games but won ONLY 2 NC. Les Miles is 112-32 after 11 seasons at LSU including a NC in 2007. Granted, it's been awhile since 2007 but the guy just wins and his bowl win put a nice cap on all the shenanigans that he dealt with late in the year. It is definitely a "what have you done for me lately" world but I think most college football programs would love to have his level of success. He may be called the "Mad Hatter" for a reason but he brings program stability and the chance to win it all every year. I don't know how you could expect much more from any coach not named Saban or Meyer IMO.
12-30-2015 05:08 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

(12-30-2015 05:06 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  LSU fans obviously can't stand losing to Bama.

No, especially after 2011...I'd say most LSU fans felt like a National Championship was stolen from them. Certainly Alabama was rewarded more by getting a mulligan, while LSU won the first game in Tuscaloosa AND still had to play a conference championship.

And that's why we have a playoff now...

If it hadn't been for Alabama, LSU probably would have had a couple more National Championships
12-30-2015 05:31 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
It's Nick Saban more than it is Alabama.

We aren't historically big time rivals, like Tennessee or Auburn.UA went on like a 30 year streak of beating LSU in Baton Rouge every year. Saban taking over Alabama is what this is all about.
12-30-2015 07:32 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(12-30-2015 07:32 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  It's Nick Saban more than it is Alabama.

We aren't historically big time rivals, like Tennessee or Auburn.UA went on like a 30 year streak of beating LSU in Baton Rouge every year. Saban taking over Alabama is what this is all about.

I'm assuming Saban wasn't run out of Baton Rouge. He left to try the NFL, of his own accord. Correct?

So my question: why then did Saban return ... to a different SEC program? Why not come back to LSU and "get the band back together", so to speak?
12-30-2015 10:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.