Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Will New Years Eve games flop in ratings?
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
Will New Years Eve games flop in ratings?
There is no way any viewing records can get set for these games but the question is what kind of ratings will be necessary to make this experiment a success? Or conversely, a failure.

For comparison, last season's games were: OSU v Bama 15.3 and Ore v FSU 15.5.
12-29-2015 02:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
RE: Will New Years Eve games flop in ratings?
I think more people will see them than what people may believe. Quite a bunch of people will have that day off or the afternoon off anyway.
12-29-2015 02:07 PM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
I think it will see a massive dip. Without Ohio St, or top QB prospects being featured, it's naive to think otherwise. I think it will be losing at least 15-20% of last years audience. They will move these games to the Saturday following New Year's for the NYE bowl rotations.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2015 02:21 PM by RUScarlets.)
12-29-2015 02:19 PM
BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
(12-29-2015 02:19 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  I think it will see a massive dip. Without Ohio St, or top QB prospects being featured, it's naive to think otherwise. I think it will be losing at least 15-20% of last years audience. They will move these games to the Saturday following New Year's for the NYE bowl rotations.

They should have moved Dec 31 games to Saturday when people are mainly off.
12-29-2015 02:28 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
It's not going to move off of NYE....

If they did the Saturday after New Years- could have some years where 1st off, they are competing with the NFL.

Here would be a chart:
New Years Fri- SF would be Sat 1/2, F 1/11
New Years Sat- SF would be Fri 12/31(no other option), F 1/10
New Years Sun- SF would be Sat 12/31 or Mon 1/2. F 1/9
New Years Mon- SF would be ? F 1/8
New Years Tue- SF would be Sat 1/5 F 1/14 (Sat 1/5 is a NFL playoff Saturday)
New Years Wed- SF would be Sat 1/4 F 1/13 (Sat 1/4 is a NFL playoff Saturday)
New Years Thu- SF would be Sat 1/3 F 1/12 (Sat 1/3 is a NFL playoff Saturday)

So no.
12-29-2015 02:41 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

Also if you wanted it where the New Years was a Monday, to have SF on 1/6 and F on 1/15- that's another NFL playoff Saturday.

So really in only 3 of the 7 days of the week that New Years can fall on could you play on the following Saturday and have it not going up against the NFL. So that's a non starter for the most part.
12-29-2015 02:48 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(12-29-2015 02:19 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  I think it will see a massive dip. Without Ohio St, or top QB prospects being featured, it's naive to think otherwise. I think it will be losing at least 15-20% of last years audience. They will move these games to the Saturday following New Year's for the NYE bowl rotations.

WTF are you talking about?

The #1 rated SR QB prospect in Connor Cook, the 2015 Davey O'Brien best QB award winner and top rated QB in Heisman voting in Deshaun Watson, and the second highest QB in Heisman voting and Davey O'Brien finalist in Baker Mayfield are in the playoff field.
12-29-2015 02:52 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
I think the ratings are going to be huge
12-29-2015 03:57 PM
Hank Schrader Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
The 4:00 game's rating is going to suffer due to its timeslot. People are going to be working as it's not a national holiday that all employers give off. Sure people like me may be able to duck out early and get home for the game, but that may be tougher for others especially those on the West Coast where it will be 1:00. How much that affects the rating is TBD.

I think the 8:00 game ratings will be big. Probably similar to last year.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2015 04:09 PM by Hank Schrader.)
12-29-2015 04:08 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Very similar matchups. Substitute Mich St for OH St and Clemson for FSU. Oklahoma for Oregon. You might lose the West Coast interest.

Last year NYE was a Wed, this year it's a Thur.

I guess I don't see why the ratings would change much. Don't think they'll go down.
12-29-2015 04:12 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(12-29-2015 02:48 PM)stever20 Wrote:  Also if you wanted it where the New Years was a Monday, to have SF on 1/6 and F on 1/15- that's another NFL playoff Saturday.

So really in only 3 of the 7 days of the week that New Years can fall on could you play on the following Saturday and have it not going up against the NFL. So that's a non starter for the most part.

They'd have to work out a deal with the NFL playoffs to just play game on Sundays, for it to have a chance.

Not sure why they do Sat & Sun for the playoffs. I guess College used to be done playing by Jan, back in the day.
12-29-2015 04:14 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline

(12-29-2015 04:14 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  
(12-29-2015 02:48 PM)stever20 Wrote:  Also if you wanted it where the New Years was a Monday, to have SF on 1/6 and F on 1/15- that's another NFL playoff Saturday.

They'd have to work out a deal with the NFL playoffs to just play game on Sundays, for it to have a chance.

Not sure why they do Sat & Sun for the playoffs. I guess College used to be done playing by Jan, back in the day.

So that each game stands alone so they can maximize exposure. If they held the games only on Sunday they would have games going head to head.
12-29-2015 04:17 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

The NFL would look at college and just start laughing their asses off. It wouldn't be a no, but it would be an absolutely no way in hell type of no.
12-29-2015 04:24 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
I predict the big Bowls will be ranked the following order in tv rankings

1. Rose, Jan 1, Iowa vs. Stan
2. Cotton, Dec 31, Bama vs. Mich St
3. Fiesta, Jan1, Ohio St vs NotreDame
4. Orange, Dec31, Clem vs. Ok
5. Citrus, Jan1, Mich vs. FL
6. Sugar, Jan1, Ole Miss vs. OkSt
7. Holiday, Dec30, Wisc vs. USC
8. Peach, Dec31, FL St vs. Houston
9. Outback, Jan1, NW vs.

Yes, I said it, the Rose Bowl will outdraw the CFP semifinals.
12-29-2015 04:32 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(12-29-2015 04:24 PM)stever20 Wrote:  

The NFL would look at college and just start laughing their asses off. It wouldn't be a no, but it would be an absolutely no way in hell type of no.

Why aren't regular season games on Sat too, then?
12-29-2015 04:44 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(12-29-2015 04:17 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

So that each game stands alone so they can maximize exposure. If they held the games only on Sunday they would have games going head to head.

Well of course. But then why aren't regular season games on Sat too, then?
12-29-2015 04:45 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline

(12-29-2015 04:45 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  

Because you wouldn't have anywhere near the same effect because of the sheer number of games and the competition from college football regular season.

Notice that the Redskins and Eagles played Saturday night this past weekend and the Jets and Cowboys the Saturday before that.
12-29-2015 04:52 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(12-29-2015 04:52 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(12-29-2015 04:45 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  

Because you wouldn't have anywhere near the same effect because of the sheer number of games and the competition from college football regular season.

Notice that the Redskins and Eagles played Saturday night this past weekend and the Jets and Cowboys the Saturday before that.

Because the regularly scheduled college season is usually done by that time. That makes sense to me.

What does not compute is that the NFL is supposedly afraid of college football competition during the regular season, yet would "laugh at college" for the playoffs if college wanted to reclaim a couple Sats in Jan.

Not advocating for the change. Not saying it is likely to happen. (so save your caps and ***'s, stever) Just bringing up the point.
12-29-2015 05:08 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

how can college reclaim something they never had. College never plays big games on Saturday after 1st week of December unless it's New Years Day. never have.
12-29-2015 05:11 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(12-29-2015 05:11 PM)stever20 Wrote:  how can college reclaim something they never had. College never plays big games on Saturday after 1st week of December unless it's New Years Day. never have.

Semantics. It is known that Saturday is "college football's day".
12-29-2015 05:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.