Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fun while it lasted!
Bookmark and Share
oilgasusa Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
Fun while it lasted!
Guys let's face it, NIU has been on a run that has been an unbelievable dream come true. We have been blessed to have this great run, but we are returning to mediocre. No one's fault, that's where we belong. I am thankful for the enjoyment the last several years has given me.
12-25-2015 06:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
RE: Fun while it lasted!
(12-25-2015 06:42 PM)oilgasusa Wrote:  Guys let's face it, NIU has been on a run that has been an unbelievable dream come true. We have been blessed to have this great run, but we are returning to mediocre. No one's fault, that's where we belong. I am thankful for the enjoyment the last several years has given me.

I half agree with you and half disagree, great to appreciate the amazing 15 year run NIU has been on, I agree with you there. But when you have a 15 year run of success I disagree that's where "we belong" in terms of belonging at a mediocre level. When you are dominant for as long as NIU has been, no reason you shouldn't expect to be back to that level soon.
(This post was last modified: 12-25-2015 08:25 PM by MaddDawgz02.)
12-25-2015 08:24 PM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
The Huskies became a mediocre MAC team somewhere between Week 11 and Week 12. The problem is, thanks to WMU beating Toledo, what the Huskies accomplished in 11 weeks was good enought to put them in the MCC, and going to the MCC was good enough to pair them up with a team who was, very likely, the toughest opponent of all the MAC bowl teams in 2015.

For the fourth consecutive year, the Huskies were a victim of their own success. The Peter Principle strikes again. They are the MAC version of the early nineties Buffalo Bills. They even have a Beebe receiver. But just as the Bills can still boast about being the only team to reach four consecutive Super Bowls, the Huskies have tied the record for most consecutive trips to Detroit, and could break the record next year.

They now have a long off-season to grow, heal, and reload. I am optimistic about the Huskies' chances in 2016.
12-25-2015 09:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(12-25-2015 09:17 PM)Huskie_Jon Wrote:  The Huskies became a mediocre MAC team somewhere between Week 11 and Week 12. The problem is, thanks to WMU beating Toledo, what the Huskies accomplished in 11 weeks was good enought to put them in the MCC, and going to the MCC was good enough to pair them up with a team who was, very likely, the toughest opponent of all the MAC bowl teams in 2015.

For the fourth consecutive year, the Huskies were a victim of their own success. The Peter Principle strikes again. They are the MAC version of the early nineties Buffalo Bills. They even have a Beebe receiver. But just as the Bills can still boast about being the only team to reach four consecutive Super Bowls, the Huskies have tied the record for most consecutive trips to Detroit, and could break the record next year.

They now have a long off-season to grow, heal, and reload. I am optimistic about the Huskies' chances in 2016.

IMO Toledo > Boise State, what we saw Dec 23rd was a short-handed team that quit, it wasn't really about Boise. Boise lost to New Mexico
12-25-2015 10:11 PM
Advertisement

Djud Offline
Special Teams

(12-25-2015 08:24 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(12-25-2015 06:42 PM)oilgasusa Wrote:  Guys let's face it, NIU has been on a run that has been an unbelievable dream come true. We have been blessed to have this great run, but we are returning to mediocre. No one's fault, that's where we belong. I am thankful for the enjoyment the last several years has given me.

I half agree with you and half disagree, great to appreciate the amazing 15 year run NIU has been on, I agree with you there. But when you have a 15 year run of success I disagree that's where "we belong" in terms of belonging at a mediocre level. When you are dominant for as long as NIU has been, no reason you shouldn't expect to be back to that level soon.

15 year run? The "run" started in 2010. From 2001 to 2009 only 3 seasons were better than this year. The last five years have completely redefined a suncessful season for NIU football. For the bulk of our school's history the 2015 season would have been outstanding, but now it is an absolute failure. That is progress.
12-26-2015 06:20 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(12-26-2015 06:20 AM)Djud Wrote:  
(12-25-2015 08:24 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

15 year run? The "run" started in 2010. From 2001 to 2009 only 3 seasons were better than this year. The last five years have completely redefined a suncessful season for NIU football. For the bulk of our school's history the 2015 season would have been outstanding, but now it is an absolute failure. That is progress.

There was an injury riddled year at the end of the Novak era, but to me its impossible to not go back to 2001-2002 when this thing really started.
12-26-2015 06:46 AM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(12-26-2015 06:20 AM)Djud Wrote:  15 year run? The "run" started in 2010. From 2001 to 2009 only 3 seasons were better than this year. The last five years have completely redefined a suncessful season for NIU football. For the bulk of our school's history the 2015 season would have been outstanding, but now it is an absolute failure. That is progress.

Politely disagree with you. Increased interest and far better attendance at NIU games did start back in 2001 with a second straight winning record and the anticipation that the next year would be even better. Beating Wake Forest, getting hosed at Wisconsin, sweeping through the MAC up to a showdown with Toledo really fueled more hope. Then beating Maryland, a then ranked Alabama on the road, plus a home win over Iowa State opened people's eyes to getting cheated out of a bowl berth. In 2004, earning a bowl berth and winning it cemented NIU's status as a contender plus the desire for more than just having a winning record.
12-26-2015 09:28 AM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
Fun while it lasted!
I am very concerned about the near future of this team. I see our big accomplishment as qualifying for a minor bowl where, if we are lucky to get into one, we get blown out. Sad.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2015 09:35 AM by Dog Fan.)
12-26-2015 09:34 AM
Djud Offline
Special Teams

Here is my point...from 2010 to 2015 the program's record is 65-19 (.774 winning%); that's 3 wins shy of the entire decade of '00 to '09 when the program was 68-53 (.562). BTW, the 65 wins is more than twice the amount of wins the program had in the entire 90's when our record from 1990 to '99 was an incredibly bad 32-78 (.291); those 90's teams couldn't have dreamed of an 8-6 season. The program's run since 2010 has refined the standard of success. This season, for the first time since 2009 the program fell short of this standard, even though we gave a #1 ranked team all it could handle for 4 quarters; won the MAC West and went to bowl game. Now a 8-6 record is not only unacceptable, it is a disaster. This is real progress.

As far as attendance is concerned, NCAA football attendance has been on a steady decline in recent years. My guess is that NIU attendance decline (if this is true) is not as bad as the NCAA overall average.
12-26-2015 11:21 AM
clcfball11 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU!!!
Meanwhile a team that could've/should've beat Ohio State a few months ago returns most of its starters including the quarterback(!) to face a schedule that parallels this year's Hawkeyes in terms of undefeated feasibility.

Boise game sucked, but it was one game. These posts are going to be hilarious next season when we're top 25 in late November.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2015 01:19 PM by clcfball11.)
12-26-2015 01:18 PM
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
.......NIU will still have Carey so we do not anticipate a great season from you.
12-26-2015 01:33 PM
DogPoundNorth Offline
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

(12-26-2015 01:33 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  .......NIU will still have Carey so we do not anticipate a great season from you.

Haha Rod Carey owns the MAC. It's all the better out of conference teams that trouble him
12-26-2015 01:54 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(12-26-2015 01:18 PM)clcfball11 Wrote:  Meanwhile a team that could've/should've beat Ohio State a few months ago returns most of its starters including the quarterback(!) to face a schedule that parallels this year's Hawkeyes in terms of undefeated feasibility.

What else is in the kool-aid you're drinking?
You honestly believe the Huskies will go undefeated in 2016? Seriously?
Aside from being the road team in the opener, we go to South Florida which lost a shootout in its bowl game while our defense gave up 55 points and over 600 yards in ours; then we host a San Diego State team that won the MWC and blasted Cincinnati in a bowl game; and despite having stumbled against CMU and Ohio, you're convinced we'll run the table in the MAC. What do you suppose the odds are on all of that happening?
12-26-2015 02:21 PM
Advertisement

NIUSox10 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(12-26-2015 02:21 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(12-26-2015 01:18 PM)clcfball11 Wrote:  Meanwhile a team that could've/should've beat Ohio State a few months ago returns most of its starters including the quarterback(!) to face a schedule that parallels this year's Hawkeyes in terms of undefeated feasibility.

What else is in the kool-aid you're drinking?
You honestly believe the Huskies will go undefeated in 2016? Seriously?
Aside from being the road team in the opener, we go to South Florida which lost a shootout in its bowl game while our defense gave up 55 points and over 600 yards in ours; then we host a San Diego State team that won the MWC and blasted Cincinnati in a bowl game; and despite having stumbled against CMU and Ohio, you're convinced we'll run the table in the MAC. What do you suppose the odds are on all of that happening?

Haha very good points, if this Huskie team shows up again we lose both those OOC games.
12-26-2015 02:25 PM
NILAW Offline

Boise game sucked, but it was one game. These posts are going to be hilarious next season when we're top 25 in late November.

I will be delighted to look back on these posts and laugh if we are in the top 25 in November next year! However, I will be thinking oh here we are again time to crap the bed! That may not be the best think to think as a loyal Huskie fan but how many can say that would not cross their minds given the last couple of years?
12-26-2015 03:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.