Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kudos to the Cheerleaders, Silverettes, Band, and Victor E.
Bookmark and Share
MissionFan73 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Huskies
Kudos to the Cheerleaders, Silverettes, Band, and Victor E.
I just wanted to give props to the folks on the sidelines. The way they managed to keep up their energy and almost make that debacle fun was amazing. It was a small but spirited group, and they did a great job.

Attached File(s)
.jpg  IMG_20151223_154029489copy.jpg (Size: 109.24 KB / Downloads: 54)
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2015 02:20 PM by MissionFan73.)
12-25-2015 03:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Hard Way
RE: Kudos to the Cheerleaders, Silverettes, Band, and Victor E.
Since you posted this, I'll say this... It's pretty bush league that the school doesn't take the entire band. Those kids deserve to go as much as the players. Programs that want to be big time don't do that. Either take them all, or don't take any.
12-25-2015 04:58 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(12-25-2015 04:58 PM)DiehardHuskie Wrote:  Since you posted this, I'll say this... It's pretty bush league that the school doesn't take the entire band. Those kids deserve to go as much as the players. Programs that want to be big time don't do that. Either take them all, or don't take any.

+1 NIU talks big, but in terms of advancing the program, the actions are not consistent with the talk
12-25-2015 10:10 PM
NIUTrekker Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU
I agree but it cost a great deal to send all of them. As its been discussed numerous times, our athletic budget is minimal. This is fairly common for MAC teams.
12-26-2015 07:29 AM
Advertisement

MissionFan73 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Huskies
Actually, as a cheer coach and former orchestra mom, I know most cheer teams and bands have to do a LOT of fundraising to travel, even to their own competitions. As I was watching them, I was wishing I knew a nice millionaire who would be willing to sponsor them.
12-26-2015 02:23 PM
dekalb222 Offline
All American

I Root For: niu
The band is a part of the school of music. The band is not a part of athletics.
12-26-2015 02:45 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
(12-25-2015 04:58 PM)DiehardHuskie Wrote:  Since you posted this, I'll say this... It's pretty bush league that the school doesn't take the entire band. Those kids deserve to go as much as the players. Programs that want to be big time don't do that. Either take them all, or don't take any.

It was embarrassing to see our band and theirs in the stands. We were half the size. If I was a TV spectator or Boise fan I would assume we had a weak band as oppose to a limited travel budget.
12-26-2015 04:11 PM
Advertisement

Skinut Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
Regardless - was at the game, they were all great. My nephew & me got the obligatory goofy photo with Victor E. for posting. Sat next to the band at the game and as the game became a train wreck, they made it a lot more entertaining and bearable. They even laughed at a couple of my jokes.

Also, a BIIIIIGGGGG shout out to Brandon Mayes Mom. Not only was she working her best to keep spirits up, but she saved me after the game. My nephew & me were so bummed, we just wanted to get out of there. The Mayes family was sitting in the row behind us and noticed we'd left our game t-shirts and the Mission hat my nephew had picked up at the alumni reception at our seats. She picked it up and brought them back to the Sheraton. I ran into her husband the next morning and he told me his wife had our swag. I was exceptionally grateful and want to thank her publically in addition to the personal thanks I gave.
12-26-2015 04:16 PM
zdsmith Offline
1st String

I Root For: Huskies Hawks

Lot of places are going to this, actually. It's an unfortunate truth, but wouldn't be so if bowls outside of the NY6 actually meant something and didn't put schools in the red for attending.

(12-26-2015 07:29 AM)NIUTrekker Wrote:  I agree but it cost a great deal to send all of them. As its been discussed numerous times, our athletic budget is minimal. This is fairly common for MAC teams.

Yup. Basically, if you can bus (within reason) take the whole band. If you have to fly, take a glorified pep band.
12-26-2015 10:51 PM
Stpetebeachrocketfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo

This is no comparison and no dig on NIU, but an agreement and comparison. last year UT added 50 to their band and they were all there in Boca and they put the Temple band to shame. The new UT President said we need to impress, make the alumni proud and reward the students. Ohio U also does a great job.
12-27-2015 07:57 PM
Advertisement

zdsmith Offline
1st String

I Root For: Huskies Hawks
(12-27-2015 07:57 PM)Stpetebeachrocketfan Wrote:  

This is no comparison and no dig on NIU, but an agreement and comparison. last year UT added 50 to their band and they were all there in Boca and they put the Temple band to shame. The new UT President said we need to impress, make the alumni proud and reward the students. Ohio U also does a great job.

As a former band person -- I totally agree. Strong showings are important. There are a lot of suggestions I could make for the NIU band to make the trip, but unfortunately I don't have the inside information I once did to make an accurate assessment of the situation.

Like I said before, I do know that a lot of places do it based on the fly vs drive argument. Not everyone, but it's a damn shame when there are bands sending staffers instead of an extra 5-10 students (something that happens everywhere, not just here)
12-27-2015 10:03 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
(12-27-2015 07:57 PM)Stpetebeachrocketfan Wrote:  

When UT went to the Idaho Bowl, they took a smaller contingent, not the whole band. But other games, like GoDaddy and Military Bowl, I believe they took the entire band and bused them in instead of flying.
12-27-2015 10:36 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
Realize it's clearly not the same, but one solution if you can't afford to send your band to California or wherever, figure out the cost of getting the entire band to that location. Now cut that amount in half, then find one of the largest high school bands near there and donate that amount to the school to learn and play your fight song plus a few other tunes. Watching the Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's parades, there are some huge and very talented high school bands. Or perhaps a military-based band and say the donation is a way of saluting the troops, much the same way many schools donate game tickets to the service men and women.
12-27-2015 11:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.