Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Matt Campbell squandered best Rocket football team in very long time
Bookmark and Share
owen Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ham sandwich
nobody can ever convince me he didn't phone it in for the WMU game because he needed to accept the ISU job and couldn't wait for a MACC game or potential New Year's game that followed

Sad he never defeated NIU either.
Otherwise, I liked the guy!
12-23-2015 12:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
RE: Matt Campbell squandered best Rocket football team in very long time
He wouldn't be the only one on that phone, we hired the telephone operator so, what's to be done? The only one that looked like he was willing to stay was Heacock, the guy on the sidelines last night.

Campbell? Dude's gone with not the least little bit of recognition that it could have and obviously should have been handled better. If he left so quickly because he was so focused on "winning," then he's not the guy I'd want leading a prayer circle, either here or in Ames. If he left so quickly because he and the AD (ours, not theirs) felt that was the best process, then we'll probably never know.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2015 12:42 PM by eastisbest.)
12-23-2015 12:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
I'll always remember the 2015 season as the one of wasted opportunities.

Sure 10-2 is nice but what could have been...
12-23-2015 01:40 PM
RangerRocket Online
Rangers Lead The Way

I Root For: Toledo Rockets

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
I want someone to provide definitive proof that Campbell wasn't in Ames the weekend of November 18th to watch the ISU - Oklahoma State game and other "activities". ISU was home that weekend and the Rockets were off.
12-23-2015 05:25 PM
owen Offline
Heisman

(12-23-2015 05:25 PM)RangerRocket Wrote:  I want someone to provide definitive proof that Campbell wasn't in Ames the weekend of November 18th to watch the ISU - Oklahoma State game and other "activities". ISU was home that weekend and the Rockets were off.

No kidding.
I don't need any more proof for what I already know to be true.

Was obvious they had to make the deal sooner rather than later and waiting for the MACC wasn't in Iowa State's plans.
12-23-2015 07:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-23-2015 01:40 PM)Rocket_Fanatic Wrote:  I'll always remember the 2015 season as the one of wasted opportunities.

Sure 10-2 is nice but what could have been...

I agree---a very nice season, but a lot of unrealized potential left on the table.

Make no mistake, it is always extremely difficult to take full advantage of opportunities that are presented to you, which is why those who are able to do so create something that is very, very special.

It is also true that such opportunities only rarely present themselves and you never know when, or even if, they will ever present themselves again which makes it all the more important to capitalize on them if you have the chance.

There is no doubt in my mind that Campbell's pursuit of the Iowa State job is primarily responsible for the extremely costly loss to WMU simply because of how quickly he was hired immediately after the final gun in that game.
12-23-2015 08:56 PM
Advertisement

Babes boy Online
1st String

As I said on another thread. He's gone. We had a good run while he was here. We started off with a victory in the first game without him. I don't need to dwell on the subject. Let's talk about who Candle is going to get as our OC. Any rumors or suggestions?
12-23-2015 09:11 PM
MiamiRocket Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo Rockets!
I agree, Campbell squandered what could have been a perfect regular season, and a birth in a New Year's Day bowl game.

It makes me feel good that that's the last time that he'll ever have that opportunity as a head coach in his collegiate career.

That's what you deserve when you're a narcissistic, pathological liar who abandons your team before the season is over with so much on the line.
12-23-2015 09:47 PM
cincyrocket Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TOLEDO!
(12-23-2015 09:11 PM)Babes boy Wrote:  As I said on another thread. He's gone. We had a good run while he was here. We started off with a victory in the first game without him. I don't need to dwell on the subject. Let's talk about who Candle is going to get as our OC. Any rumors or suggestions?

This. x 100

It's done. Did MC fail? Absolutely, but he didn't drop passes. He didn't throw picks. He didn't give up 1st downs on 3 & 30+.

I'm focused on the present & the future. Let's give the Seniors one last Thank You, and focus on the great group coming back next season. Can't wait to see how the staff fills out and meeting many of them at the Reverse Raffle in May (see me for tickets in a few months; ha!).

Always, Go Rockets!!!!!!!!!!!!
12-24-2015 08:58 AM
BDV27 Offline
1st String

(12-23-2015 09:47 PM)MiamiRocket Wrote:  I agree, Campbell squandered what could have been a perfect regular season, and a birth in a New Year's Day bowl game.

It makes me feel good that that's the last time that he'll ever have that opportunity as a head coach in his collegiate career.

That's what you deserve when you're a narcissistic, pathological liar who abandons your team before the season is over with so much on the line.

It think it is criminal that NCAA allows any contact with a potential coaching candidate until after the season. It is a simple fix, move signing day out a month and don't allow any contacts until any team's season is over. The reason why they fix this is because currently it is only the non P5 programs that are most effected by the current system. The is no question in my mind that Campbell was in contact with ISU before WMU game. I think OU beating NIU was unexpected and team was obviously not ready for a Championship game. Losing to both NIU and WMU at home with the talent on this team is really disappointing. I think poor MAC officiating had a little bit to do with each loss as well, which is even more a shame because this UT team had what it took to compete against any team in the country.
12-24-2015 09:30 AM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Especially with BG laying an egg in their bowl game. Just causes me to shake my head even more over what could have been.
12-24-2015 10:41 AM
Advertisement

owen Offline
Heisman

(12-23-2015 09:11 PM)Babes boy Wrote:  As I said on another thread. He's gone. We had a good run while he was here. We started off with a victory in the first game without him. I don't need to dwell on the subject. Let's talk about who Candle is going to get as our OC. Any rumors or suggestions?

I didn't warm up to Campbell for over 3 years.
This year's media coverage of his background and his "process" are what made me like him.
So I see no reason to rush into liking Candle when I spent a good deal of time second guessing the offense and he comes in with no track record as a head coach.
Of course I support him. He is the coach. But my opinion of him is still forming.
12-24-2015 01:48 PM
owen Offline
Heisman

(12-24-2015 09:30 AM)BDV27 Wrote:  
(12-23-2015 09:47 PM)MiamiRocket Wrote:  I agree, Campbell squandered what could have been a perfect regular season, and a birth in a New Year's Day bowl game.

It think it is criminal that NCAA allows any contact with a potential coaching candidate until after the season. It is a simple fix, move signing day out a month and don't allow any contacts until any team's season is over. The reason why they fix this is because currently it is only the non P5 programs that are most effected by the current system. The is no question in my mind that Campbell was in contact with ISU before WMU game. I think OU beating NIU was unexpected and team was obviously not ready for a Championship game. Losing to both NIU and WMU at home with the talent on this team is really disappointing. I think poor MAC officiating had a little bit to do with each loss as well, which is even more a shame because this UT team had what it took to compete against any team in the country.

good points
we surely did not get many or any breaks in those 2 games
whereas we got a few breaks against Iowa St, so maybe it evens out in the end
12-24-2015 01:49 PM
rockytop Offline
1st String

I believe it is unfair to blame MC for the two losses. He is the guy who hired the staff, recruited and developed the players, and ran a classy program. These kids excelled in the classroom and represented UT with dignity in the community. I was very proud to wear the blue and gold in Boca Raton.
I have no idea if he had an offer from ISU before the WMU game. I doubt if anyone on this board does. Players made bad plays against WMU, and I have no idea how we could lose to NIU, but we did.

This was a great year and we should all be proud of our Rockets!
12-24-2015 05:10 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
(12-23-2015 05:25 PM)RangerRocket Wrote:  I want someone to provide definitive proof that Campbell wasn't in Ames the weekend of November 18th to watch the ISU - Oklahoma State game and other "activities". ISU was home that weekend and the Rockets were off.

Just wondering, do you have definitive proof that he WAS in Ames that weekend?
12-24-2015 07:15 PM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-24-2015 05:10 PM)rockytop Wrote:  I believe it is unfair to blame MC for the two losses. He is the guy who hired the staff, recruited and developed the players, and ran a classy program. These kids excelled in the classroom and represented UT with dignity in the community. I was very proud to wear the blue and gold in Boca Raton.
I have no idea if he had an offer from ISU before the WMU game. I doubt if anyone on this board does. Players made bad plays against WMU, and I have no idea how we could lose to NIU, but we did.

I believe that it is the coaching staff's responsibility to have a team mentally as well as tactically prepared for a game to the greatest extent possible in order to give the players the best chance for success. I believe that the Rockets were a better team this year than either NIU or WMU so I have to believe that the responsibility for these losses fall on the coaching staffs' lack of properly preparing the team for these games.

As far as Campbell's departure for Ames, this happened very, very quickly after the WMU game and the hiring process normally takes more than 24-48 hours from first contact until the deal is sealed so I suspect that the process was well underway by the time of the WMU game and I suspect that in one way or another it was a an unfavorable distraction.

By the same token, Babers quick exit from BG immediately following the MACC game suggests to me that he was also negotiating with Syracuse prior to the MACC game; however, he seemed genuinely interested in winning the MACC and handled the entire situation with a lot more savvy and grace that did Campbell who came across rather poorly with his disingenuous post WMU game comments and then 48 hour later with his equally disingenuous claims that didn't even even know what his new salary was.
12-24-2015 08:01 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-24-2015 07:15 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  

Just wondering, do you have definitive proof that he WAS in Ames that weekend?

That's what ends accusations, not begins them. It's evidence (sometimes not even that) that begins suspicions and accusations. All this was hashed out in posts ago, enough to sway me to the other side anyhow. I was all fine and dandy and expecting of it. Season was over. Goal of a college is to move on it's "graduates" was how I put it.

I'm about as stubborn as most, figuring I've gotten and added all the facts and came to as good a conclusion as could be had but as the discussion on the boards continued, "reasonable doubt" of his good intentions because distinct possibility TO ME.

The timing just doesn't add up, the performances do not add up and the more the ISU AD opened his mouth, the less credible it all became that this was done as they said it was done. That he left acting as if this was a divorce as opposed to someone just choosing a different opportunity just adds to reasonable suspicions.

As is, is there really any reason for him (or you) to care? He hasn't shown any care about what might be said here by "fans" so why you?
12-24-2015 08:08 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(12-24-2015 05:10 PM)rockytop Wrote:  I believe it is unfair to blame MC for the two losses. He is the guy who hired the staff, recruited and developed the players, and ran a classy program. These kids excelled in the classroom and represented UT with dignity in the community. I was very proud to wear the blue and gold in Boca Raton.

I think great athletes respond better to playing to win than playing not to lose. I believe UT became too conservative when TommyLee and Hare were injured in the second quarter.
12-24-2015 10:30 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Well, I wouldn't be 100% sure he squandered it during the last game, though. Although yes, him dealing with it couldn't have helped.

(1) Some coaches deal with other colleges and it doesn't affect the team much. Especially when the next person-in-line to be HC is a coach on the team, and proves they are a quality HC and win a bowl against a tough (even ranked) opponent.

(2) Toledo was capable of being sub-par. Ely was capable of not having a good game. Heck, against UMass for a half it looked bad, too. They lost to NIU and collpased after 1st Q when NIU lost their starting QB to put a redshirt Frosh in, and also losing a great player Tommy Lee Lewis -- and came BACK to beat Toledo after Toledo's total 1st Q dominance. Was he on the phone at half time? Well, after that they Crushed BGSU! So it's not like it went downhill. They ended up losing to a WMU team that statistically speaking going into it, odds were they were NOT going to go 0-3 against BGSU, NIU, and Toledo. Like Toledo, WMU is capable of playing sub-par and also great. WMU won a tight close game.

So in the end, how much Better would it have been if Matt wasn't scheduling interviews/negotiations with I-owe-what State? Possibly not by much. If Toledo tanked played a sub-par game against BGSU in between those two losses, then I would say it most likely was a big thing. But otherwise, I have to say it wasn't necessarily a huge effect.
12-25-2015 03:09 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

and wed be remiss to not mention he helped build that best team in a long time. Still not his to squander (I'm taking that side of this) but still.
12-25-2015 03:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.