http://www.ydkjack.com/blog/college-foot...-to-toledo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-23-2015 07:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
RE: Kerwin take on the game (Philly writer)
Sounds like we didn't have much to do with the win- Temple just didn't play very hard. No mention of our coaching change or the fact that we had great backs who wear teams down. And Cody Thompson isn't speedy? Their DB had about 40 yards in which to catch him and couldn't. The guy usually gets several yac. I'd say he's got some wheels. How about "Toledo did what they always do to Temple- used their superior talent to pound them unmercifully!"
12-23-2015 07:38 AM
indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Kerwin take on the game (Philly writer)
I posted a comment on the article just now. Pasted below

Credit to a great Toledo team that overcame the loss of the head coach and most of the staff to come down and get a win. Not many teams have had an answer for Toledo rushing attack all year because the Rockets are deep at RB. And as for Phillip Ely most of this season he has been erratic so the decision to play off receivers and stress the run was valid in this Rocket fan view. Weather was a factor in the second half especially

Fun event and both teams are building programs. All not lost. Go Rockets

12-23-2015 07:48 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(12-23-2015 07:48 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  I posted a comment on the article just now. Pasted below

Credit to a great Toledo team that overcame the loss of the head coach and most of the staff to come down and get a win. Not many teams have had an answer for Toledo rushing attack all year because the Rockets are deep at RB. And as for Phillip Ely most of this season he has been erratic so the decision to play off receivers and stress the run was valid in this Rocket fan view. Weather was a factor in the second half especially

Too many drops of well thrown FB's and receivers breaking off routes
attributed to Ely's being "erratic". The guy really gets the FB out quickly, making quick reads. I can't say enough about Ely and his leadership.
It's been great having him at Toledo.
12-23-2015 10:29 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

He's WAY too harsh on Temple. They were only down 3 with 13 to go. They'd lost their starting RB and a starting LB to injury. Their first quarter performance doesn't say they took us "lightly." They came out on fire. They stalled in the redzone but give credit to our D. I don't recall them doing anything bonehead to stall those drives.
12-23-2015 10:36 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(12-23-2015 10:29 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(12-23-2015 07:48 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  I posted a comment on the article just now. Pasted below

attributed to Ely's being "erratic". The guy really gets the FB out quickly, making quick reads. I can't say enough about Ely and his leadership.
Couple early drops last night had me in "Oh, no, not again" mode but receivers stepped up. Ely's % should have been much higher this year but for drops.
12-23-2015 10:38 AM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Oh, and Temple's program practically didn't even exist just a couple years ago and no one has heard of that writer, still.
12-23-2015 10:40 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(12-23-2015 10:38 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  

Couple early drops last night had me in "Oh, no, not again" mode but receivers stepped up. Ely's % should have been much higher this year but for drops.

Ely's passing took away Matakevech's ability to be a factor. The guy didn't even look like an all Conference player.
12-23-2015 10:45 AM
Okie Chippewa Offline
All American

I Root For: The MAC
This Philadelphia writer certainly dispels the "City of Brotherly Love" moniker. These weren't the Eagles but the Owls, who just finished one of their best football seasons in their history. Sheesh.
12-23-2015 10:53 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(12-23-2015 10:53 AM)Okie Chippewa Wrote:  This Philadelphia writer certainly dispels the "City of Brotherly Love" moniker. These weren't the Eagles but the Owls, who just finished one of their best football seasons in their history. Sheesh.

This is the same city that booed Santa Claus and likes to buy pretzels from the cart vendor that just pee'd in the bushes that doesn't wash his hands.
12-23-2015 10:58 AM
AquaRocket Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo Rockets

I couldn't agree more, Boca. Well said.
12-23-2015 12:51 PM
Advertisement

MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-23-2015 10:45 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(12-23-2015 10:38 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  

Ely's passing took away Matakevech's ability to be a factor. The guy didn't even look like an all Conference player.

I thought the same thing. Did see him crack a couple of guys after they were in the grasp of another tackler. The guy is 5'11 and goes 230. They claimed he could run a 4.7. Highly doubt that. Have to wonder how he became the winner of the Bednarik award (I think that is the one that goes to the best LB). Didn't really see him do much of anything out there.
12-23-2015 04:07 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Yeah, I pretty much thought he was invisible. I was expecting a difference maker on Defense.
12-23-2015 05:06 PM
Babes boy Offline
1st String

Well according to people in the know. This guy was all world and a first round pick.?
12-23-2015 10:03 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-23-2015 12:51 PM)AquaRocket Wrote:  

How does a ball end up BEHIND a receiver that broke off a route? Happened again and again and every game replay confirms it. No video will support that contention of receivers just stopping their routes. Route timing might have been an excuse but it's still the QB's to judge that. If a route has been completed, it's not been "broke off." It's time for the WR to help the QB find an open lane and for the QB to move his feet to do the same. The latter wasn't happening.

As far as his leadership, that I can't judge from looking at a game but he did spread his targets around. He had a solid final game, particularly considering the weather as did the receivers, who had catchable balls.

I still wonder if he played this year with that arm completely healed. It had strength but seemed to have a hitch in direction. Seen it in baseball so I suppose it's possible in passing.
12-23-2015 10:44 PM
RocketJeff Offline
Heisman

(12-23-2015 10:58 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(12-23-2015 10:53 AM)Okie Chippewa Wrote:  This Philadelphia writer certainly dispels the "City of Brotherly Love" moniker. These weren't the Eagles but the Owls, who just finished one of their best football seasons in their history. Sheesh.

This is the same city that booed Santa Claus and likes to buy pretzels from the cart vendor that just pee'd in the bushes that doesn't wash his hands.

And apparently boo the opponent's band. Geesh.
12-26-2015 07:10 PM
Advertisement

Babes boy Offline
1st String

(12-23-2015 10:44 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  
(12-23-2015 12:51 PM)AquaRocket Wrote:  

How does a ball end up BEHIND a receiver that broke off a route? Happened again and again and every game replay confirms it. No video will support that contention of receivers just stopping their routes. Route timing might have been an excuse but it's still the QB's to judge that. If a route has been completed, it's not been "broke off." It's time for the WR to help the QB find an open lane and for the QB to move his feet to do the same. The latter wasn't happening.

As far as his leadership, that I can't judge from looking at a game but he did spread his targets around. He had a solid final game, particularly considering the weather as did the receivers, who had catchable balls.

I still wonder if he played this year with that arm completely healed. It had strength but seemed to have a hitch in direction. Seen it in baseball so I suppose it's possible in passing.
You are talking like he had the surgery on his throwing shoulder. I believe his surgery was on the opposite shoulder .
12-26-2015 10:46 PM
therockets046 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Mud Hens
Yeah, not the Eagles but it sure seemed to me there was as much Phillies apparel on site as there was Temple apparel, if not more. Not surprising considering they're a team who had to move out of the MAC into a weaker conference just to pile up enough wins to start going to bowl games. There were an unbelievable amount of Temple fans I came across leading up to the game who considered it a slap in the face to have had to play us. I mean, out of all the different opponents that MAC teams had to play in this bowl season, I'd rank Temple a distant first, and we're talking about a program that's played in what, four bowl games in their entire history? They clearly had a really nice season, I'm happy that we got to face a quality opponent in a great destination to be in December, and I'd still be saying that even if any of our conference's peers had gotten the opportunity to face Auburn or Florida State. Obviously not all Temple fans are that way; most of the ones I talked to at the game seemed pretty sensible, but all the others, every time I think about it just makes it so much sweeter that we pretty much stomped them in this game.
12-27-2015 01:34 AM
indianasniff Offline
All American

Kerwin take on the game (Philly writer)
I liked walking up to people from either school in the airport the next morning to see if their shoes were dry

12-27-2015 09:16 AM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-23-2015 05:06 PM)emanoh Wrote:  Yeah, I pretty much thought he was invisible. I was expecting a difference maker on Defense.

...so he will be the Browns first round draft choice. He qualifies for that.
12-27-2015 11:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.