Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is it time to take scheduling out of schools hands?
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
Is it time to take scheduling out of schools hands?
Beyond Conference games and rivalry games? I just find it incredible that certain teams sabotage themselves or puff themselves up through a schedule that not only is in their best interest but also could hurt the conference. Should the Conference have a say in the schedule a member school has?
12-22-2015 02:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
RE: Is it time to take scheduling out of schools hands?
Shrug.

There are certain things about college sports that will never be like pro sports, for better and for worse.

College teams, in all sports, have been arranging their own schedules for more than 100 years.
12-22-2015 02:52 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
easy answer: NO

Take a look at Navy's OOC...they've got no wiggle room to let their schedule be dictated by another body
12-22-2015 03:22 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
I think as far as what we're going to see is like what the Big Ten did saying no FCS games and 1 P5 (or derivative thereof) .
12-22-2015 03:26 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
What entity would dictate the schedules of BYU, Army and Notre Dame football, for instance??
12-22-2015 03:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
I'd love to see a rule requiring 6 home and 6 away OR 5 away + 1 neutral... to do away with these ridiculous schedules just to get 7 home games.

Having said that...

(12-22-2015 03:26 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I think as far as what we're going to see is like what the Big Ten did saying no FCS games and 1 P5 (or derivative thereof) .
^^^THIS^^^ is most likely the truth.
03-banghead

(12-22-2015 03:35 PM)TerryD Wrote:  What entity would dictate the schedules of BYU, Army and Notre Dame football, for instance??
I'm sure we could set up a non-profit organization composed of CSNBBS users for the purpose of scheduling these teams. I'll volunteer right now.
05-mafia
12-22-2015 03:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

domer1978 Online
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
[/quote]
I'm sure we could set up a non-profit organization composed of CSNBBS users for the purpose of scheduling these teams. I'll volunteer right now.
05-mafia
[/quote]

Would 8 ACC teams be on it? 07-coffee3
12-22-2015 03:53 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
No.

Baylor scheduling SMU and Rice is more of a long time rivalry games when they were all in the SWC together.

Long said that a win over an FCS team like a strong North Dakota State team is better than a win over a Kansas team.

Some P5 and G5 conferences have 2 or more teams that could lose to FCS and G5 teams. Kansas and Iowa State, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota and Purdue could lose to them. Wake Forest, Duke, Virginia, Syracuse, Louisville, Boston College, Miami and some others could also lose as well.
12-22-2015 05:48 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
That would be cool. The Wizard of Oz forcing Michigan to play at WKU!
12-22-2015 05:59 PM
krup Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rutgers
(12-22-2015 03:50 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  I'd love to see a rule requiring 6 home and 6 away OR 5 away + 1 neutral... to do away with these ridiculous schedules just to get 7 home games.
You would basically be asking the "college football industry" as a whole to forgo tens of millions of dollars in revenue. The 7th home for popular P5 schools can generate as much as $5 million+ in revenue, and the G5 school getting that home game under a "maximum 6 home games" rule isn't going to come close to that.

Sure, the P5 schools will lose a lot of the money but the reduced $$ for bought games would hurt the G5 schools worse.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2015 06:20 PM by krup.)
12-22-2015 06:19 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
05-mafia
[/quote]

Would 8 ACC teams be on it? 07-coffee3
[/quote]

No. There would be 9 03-razz
12-22-2015 06:51 PM
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Mandating a certain number of games vs P5/special G5 teams vs FBS is as close as you'll ever get.

This isn't the pros. There are 128 seperate and competing agendas in FBS
12-22-2015 07:06 PM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
Not practical and not desired.
12-22-2015 07:18 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(12-22-2015 07:06 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Mandating a certain number of games vs P5/special G5 teams vs FBS is as close as you'll ever get.

This isn't the pros. There are 128 seperate and competing agendas in FBS

That's not exactly true. Sure TECHNICALLY the "student athletes" are amateurs... but only in the loosest sense of the word. College BB is a whole lot worse considering scum like Calipari intentionally scouts for 1 year wonders to come to school to do nothing but play BB and then move on before the kids putrid grades become a factor.

The facade of collegiality is still there, and ESPN sure tries to drive that narrative. But let's get real, these kids are semi-pro athletes, or perhaps it would be more accurate to call them pros playing in a minor league system.

If CFB would move towards somethign like this - http://csnbbs.com/thread-762236.html - at least the hypocrisy can be removed from the sport. And ultimately people would get what they really want, which is the best FB you can get that is not NFL football.
12-22-2015 07:31 PM
texasorange Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse Orange
(12-22-2015 02:47 PM)Dasville Wrote:  Beyond Conference games and rivalry games? I just find it incredible that certain teams sabotage themselves or puff themselves up through a schedule that not only is in their best interest but also could hurt the conference. Should the Conference have a say in the schedule a member school has?

Basically I would say no. If a University wants to sabotage their own schedule by adding cupcakes and they don't get the bowl they wanted that's their problem. It should be left up to the schools and to the Athletic directors to do their scheduling. If they want to embarrass themselves, fine!
12-22-2015 09:09 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(12-22-2015 02:47 PM)Dasville Wrote:  Beyond Conference games and rivalry games? I just find it incredible that certain teams sabotage themselves or puff themselves up through a schedule that not only is in their best interest but also could hurt the conference. Should the Conference have a say in the schedule a member school has?

The last thing I want to see is the football ignorant ACC administration dictating who and where we play.
12-22-2015 09:24 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
I demand an SEC schedule for Houston. We don't even need to join the conference, just make a Notre Dame type pact for 8 games a year.
12-22-2015 09:40 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
(12-22-2015 09:40 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  I demand an SEC schedule for Houston. We don't even need to join the conference, just make a Notre Dame type pact for 8 games a year.

I wouldn't mind Houston being in the SEC.
12-22-2015 11:21 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(12-22-2015 03:50 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(12-22-2015 03:35 PM)TerryD Wrote:  What entity would dictate the schedules of BYU, Army and Notre Dame football, for instance??

05-mafia

I'm there with you. My first decree is that OSU must play at SE Missouri State, followed by Alabama going to Prairie View A&M.
12-22-2015 11:25 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
Commissioners, working with the TV partners, could determine which games should be played.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2015 12:38 AM by Dasville.)
12-23-2015 12:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.